PDA

View Full Version : Scott Wright's Mock Draft

Pinkerton Security
08-21-2008, 10:52 AM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

In recent years the Bills have done a terrific job of bringing in young talent on both sides of the ball but one position where they still need some help is tight end. Robert Royal has not been the player they envisioned when he was brought in as a free agent and guys like Derek Schouman and Derek Fine are merely backups at best. http://www.draftcountdown.com/images/mockaction/travisbeckum.jpg Nothing aids the development of a young quarterback like Trent Edwards more than a good tight end to serve as a safety valve and if the Bills could get somebody to stretch the seem and open things up for their wideouts it would give the offense a whole new dimension. Travis Beckum is undersized and offers very little as a blocker but he is a tremendous athlete and can be a real weapon in the passing game. There is some debate as to whether Beckum is first round material but if Dustin Keller can go in the Top 32 picks then Beckum certainly could. Buffalo could also be in the market for an upgrade at safety alongside young starDonte Whitner, where neither Ko Simpson nor George Wilson have been able to establish themselves as reliable starters in the pros.

I'd be ecstatic if we got this dude.

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 10:55 AM
That may possibly be one of the worst mocks he's ever produced...

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php

In recent years the Bills have done a terrific job of bringing in young talent on both sides of the ball but one position where they still need some help is tight end. Robert Royal has not been the player they envisioned when he was brought in as a free agent and guys like Derek Schouman and Derek Fine are merely backups at best. http://www.draftcountdown.com/images/mockaction/travisbeckum.jpg Nothing aids the development of a young quarterback like Trent Edwards more than a good tight end to serve as a safety valve and if the Bills could get somebody to stretch the seem and open things up for their wideouts it would give the offense a whole new dimension. Travis Beckum is undersized and offers very little as a blocker but he is a tremendous athlete and can be a real weapon in the passing game. There is some debate as to whether Beckum is first round material but if Dustin Keller can go in the Top 32 picks then Beckum certainly could. Buffalo could also be in the market for an upgrade at safety alongside young starDonte Whitner, where neither Ko Simpson nor George Wilson have been able to establish themselves as reliable starters in the pros.

I'd be ecstatic if we got this dude.
I find it funny that so many people expected big things out of Royal when he came here. In Washington he was never known for his receiving skills, he was known for his blocking skills and he's one of the better blocking TE's.

That may possibly be one of the worst mocks he's ever produced...
Way too early to tell; I can't stand people that do mocks this early in the year because you won't know crap until the season is over with.

Mr. Pink
08-21-2008, 11:14 AM
Hey DB...TAYLOR MAYS IN 09!!!

I know you love the guy.

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 11:15 AM
Hey DB...TAYLOR MAYS IN 09!!!

I know you love the guy.

Don't get me started...he is more overrated than Thurm.

RockStar36
08-21-2008, 11:20 AM
Don't get me started...he is more overrated than Thurm.

Is that even possible?

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 11:28 AM
Is that even possible?

Sadly yes it is.

mysticsoto
08-21-2008, 12:08 PM
I usually like Scott Wright but even I couldn't stomach that mock draft. Of course, he'll change it a million times from now, so I'm sure it'll get better! Interesting that he sees us doing well to fall and pick at #21...but...overall, it needs alot of improvement.

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 12:17 PM
My criticisms-
2. Miami-Rey Maualuga-Miami doesnt have a huge need for an ILB unless Crowder struggles this season. Rey can't play OLB because of his limited athleticism and I think this is a bad pick for them. I think Davis at CB is a much smarter pick.

3. Atlanta-Vontae Davis-Why? This guy either doesn't pay attention to the Falcons or only looked at the Depth Chart. Atlanta has former 2nd Round pick Chris Houston at one corner and small school kid Brent Grimes at the other. Grimes has only done one thing all preseason...make plays. Davis is a bad pick here.

4. Lions-Chris Wells-They just took Kevin Smith and have Brian Calhoun on the roster why are they taking Wells??

10. Cincinnati-Brian Cushing-Not the top OLB in his class and a border line 1st Rounder

12. Chicago-Darius Heyward Bey-Not a 1st Round prospect at this point

14. Houston-Knowshon Moreno-No way he lasts this late, but the position is probably correct

15. Washington-Taylor Mays-Needs a lot of work and this projection is based on hype not production.

17. Tampa Bay-Michael Crabtree-Seriously?

19. Minnesota-Tim Tebow-Does not need a QB

21. Buffalo-Travis Beckum-Eh...

23. Arizona-Jamon Meredith-Robinson before Meredith

24. Green Bay-George Selvie-No way he drops this far

27. Jacksonville-Myron Rolle-Where is this guy going to play? And talk about picking based on hype...

mysticsoto
08-21-2008, 12:45 PM
My criticisms-
2. Miami-Rey Maualuga-Miami doesnt have a huge need for an ILB unless Crowder struggles this season. Rey can't play OLB because of his limited athleticism and I think this is a bad pick for them. I think Davis at CB is a much smarter pick.

3. Atlanta-Vontae Davis-Why? This guy either doesn't pay attention to the Falcons or only looked at the Depth Chart. Atlanta has former 2nd Round pick Chris Houston at one corner and small school kid Brent Grimes at the other. Grimes has only done one thing all preseason...make plays. Davis is a bad pick here.

4. Lions-Chris Wells-They just took Kevin Smith and have Brian Calhoun on the roster why are they taking Wells??

10. Cincinnati-Brian Cushing-Not the top OLB in his class and a border line 1st Rounder

12. Chicago-Darius Heyward Bey-Not a 1st Round prospect at this point

14. Houston-Knowshon Moreno-No way he lasts this late, but the position is probably correct

15. Washington-Taylor Mays-Needs a lot of work and this projection is based on hype not production.

17. Tampa Bay-Michael Crabtree-Seriously?

19. Minnesota-Tim Tebow-Does not need a QB

21. Buffalo-Travis Beckum-Eh...

23. Arizona-Jamon Meredith-Robinson before Meredith

24. Green Bay-George Selvie-No way he drops this far

27. Jacksonville-Myron Rolle-Where is this guy going to play? And talk about picking based on hype...

Yeah, the Miami pick is questionable, and I doubt Parcells goes with an ILB that high.

I'd be willing to bet Atlanta would take OT Oher to help protect their new QB.

Lions...I don't think they will be picking that low. I think Calvin Johnson will impress this year!

I don't really like our pick and it is clear Buffalo would like a good TE, but they are not going to give up alot (1st rounder) for one. And undersized players is something Buffalo usually gets too much of!

Mitchy moo
08-21-2008, 12:52 PM
At least he thinks we are making the playoffs, the rest is garbage.

Oaf
08-21-2008, 12:55 PM
What's the solution at WR?

We got a good #3/#4 combo in Reed and Parrish who both deserve reps. Hardy will struggle at #2 leaving D's to focus on Evans. Do we draft another one high and push Hardy/Reed/Parrish down a spot, or do we draft a few competitors in the mid rounds, or do we just leave it to develop?

Unless Hardy is abysmal, I see the solution at WR at TE as well. Here we can upgrade the WRs without pushing out current guys out of the picture. So any TE that develops into 1st round status has my vote. Then I'd go C, OLB, DT, WR, FS, WR. I'd also be quick to sign a vet OT with experience. Sorry, I am not yet familiar with the top prospects.

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 01:00 PM
27. Jacksonville-Myron Rolle-Where is this guy going to play? And talk about picking based on hype...You mean like DRC?

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 01:17 PM
You mean like DRC?

Nope DRC produced numbers wise and was never a hyped college prospect like this kid.

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 01:18 PM
Nope DRC produced numbers wise and was never a hyped college prospect like this kid.
Where have you been? He was way over-hyped; unjustly I might add.

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 01:19 PM
Where have you been? He was way over-hyped; unjustly I might add.

Im not going to re-hash this argument since we've been over it quite a bit already. We shall see in a few years.

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Im not going to re-hash this argument since we've been over it quite a bit already. We shall see in a few years.
Did you hear the "rumblings" that Merriman's career may be over?

mysticsoto
08-21-2008, 01:31 PM
What's the solution at WR?

We got a good #3/#4 combo in Reed and Parrish who both deserve reps. Hardy will struggle at #2 leaving D's to focus on Evans. Do we draft another one high and push Hardy/Reed/Parrish down a spot, or do we draft a few competitors in the mid rounds, or do we just leave it to develop?

Unless Hardy is abysmal, I see the solution at WR at TE as well. Here we can upgrade the WRs without pushing out current guys out of the picture. So any TE that develops into 1st round status has my vote. Then I'd go C, OLB, DT, WR, FS, WR. I'd also be quick to sign a vet OT with experience. Sorry, I am not yet familiar with the top prospects.
There are a number of good WRs but let's not forget that Steve Johnson is being viewed highly also. What would be the point in taking a 1st rd or high round WR pick if they don't really have the spot. #1 is Evans, #2 Hardy and #3/4 are Parrish and Reed with Jenkins providing ok backup skills and good STs skills and Johnson a possible diamond in the rough.

To draft a WR high next year means we envision Evans leaving (if we can't come to terms with him - and all indications are that they are working on this), Hardy leaving...even if he was terrible this year, he'd likely be given a chance to develop or Parrish/Reed leaving which I just don't see.

At this point, the only way it would merit to take a WR really high in next year's draft would be b'cse we were not able to come to terms and agree on a contract for Lee Evans. And if that happens, we take a 2-3 year setback in development...

DraftBoy
08-21-2008, 01:34 PM
Did you hear the "rumblings" that Merriman's career may be over?

I heard that would be a huge blow to SD if true.

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 01:36 PM
There are a number of good WRs but let's not forget that Steve Johnson is being viewed highly also. What would be the point in taking a 1st rd or high round WR pick if they don't really have the spot. #1 is Evans, #2 Hardy and #3/4 are Parrish and Reed with Jenkins providing ok backup skills and good STs skills and Johnson a possible diamond in the rough.

To draft a WR high next year means we envision Evans leaving (if we can't come to terms with him - and all indications are that they are working on this), Hardy leaving...even if he was terrible this year, he'd likely be given a chance to develop or Parrish/Reed leaving which I just don't see.

At this point, the only way it would merit to take a WR really high in next year's draft would be b'cse we were not able to come to terms and agree on a contract for Lee Evans. And if that happens, we take a 2-3 year setback in development...
I agree with Johnson, I like his "potential." Though I doubt he'll ever be anything better than a number three guy, but still, not bad for such a late pick.

Mitchell55
08-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I hate it. Pats and Cowboys in the superbowl. :clump:

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 03:28 PM
I hate it. Pats and Cowboys in the superbowl. :clump:
No need to bring Clump into this.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-22-2008, 03:17 AM
While a lot can change between now and Draft Day, I don't think that the idea that Beckum could be the Bills first round pick is that outrageous.

If the Bills don't re-sign Crowell, an OLB would probably have to be their first priority. Unlike some other positions, LB is a spot where a rookie can come in and be productive, so the Bills could opt to pass on giving Crowell, who has injury issues, big money and go with a LB here.

However, if the Bills re-sign Crowell and have even a halfway decent season, it is unlikely that a top pass-rushing DE will fall to them. If one does, they would have to consider taking him with Schobel and Denney hitting 30 (and isn't Denney's contract coming up soon?). But, if one doesn't, then what?

I don't know if there is a center or offensive lineman who could be moved to center immediately who would rate a first round grade at this point. If someone emerges this season at center, then, the Bills would have to consider taking him as a possible replacement for Fowler. But, the Bills are a team that has a history of taking its offensive linemen later in the draft and may continue to stick with that policy, even if it drives some of the team's fans crazy.

If you take those positions off the board, TE is the position that stands out as likely needing the biggest upgrade, especially since R.Royal also has to be getting close to the end of his contract. And, if you are looking for an athletic, smooth receiving TE, Beckum is as good as anyone that is out there. And, he comes from a program where the Bills have had some success in selecting Lee Evans.

As for drafting a WR that high: the odds are that the Bills will not be looking for a WR at the top of the draft, unless they fail to re-sign L.Evans. It looks like the Bills will be able to get something done with Evans and, if they do, there is no reason for them to look for another WR early on in the draft: no matter how Hardy performs, he will be given every opportunity to live up to his high draft status and it looks like he is the kind of guy who will work hard enough to ultimately do that; Roscoe gives them a good slot receiver, even if J.Reed--who I believe may be a FA--leaves; and, with a year under his belt, Steve Johnson could easily push for the # 3 WR spot. J.Jenkins may be a ST ace, but he has also shown more pass catching ability that S.Aiken ever did and would not be a bad # 5 WR, if the Bills let J.Reed go. All of this being the case, there would be no reason for the Bills to spend a pick in the first 3 rounds on a WR unless someone outstanding fell to them in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Nor will the Bills be looking to draft a QB in the first round if Edwards has a good season--although they may look to draft one in the middle to late rounds if they don't like the crop of veteran QBs that are available in free agency. It simply wouldn't make sense for them to create a QB controversy when they will have finally settled on a young guy that they want to go with and develop further.

Injuries (and, perhaps, the Peters situation), of course, could change things, but I don't see the Bills being able to or even looking to upgrade that many positions at the top of the next draft. And, of those that they would be looking at, I think TE could be one of their priorities (along with LB if they let Crowell walk).

PECKERWOOD
08-22-2008, 09:25 AM
I would like to see Tebow in a Bills uniform if Edwards doesn't pan out.

DraftBoy
08-22-2008, 09:28 AM
I would like to see Tebow in a Bills uniform if Edwards doesn't pan out.

Awful high pick to spend on a FB

mysticsoto
08-22-2008, 10:26 AM
While a lot can change between now and Draft Day, I don't think that the idea that Beckum could be the Bills first round pick is that outrageous.

If the Bills don't re-sign Crowell, an OLB would probably have to be their first priority. Unlike some other positions, LB is a spot where a rookie can come in and be productive, so the Bills could opt to pass on giving Crowell, who has injury issues, big money and go with a LB here.

However, if the Bills re-sign Crowell and have even a halfway decent season, it is unlikely that a top pass-rushing DE will fall to them. If one does, they would have to consider taking him with Schobel and Denney hitting 30 (and isn't Denney's contract coming up soon?). But, if one doesn't, then what?

I don't know if there is a center or offensive lineman who could be moved to center immediately who would rate a first round grade at this point. If someone emerges this season at center, then, the Bills would have to consider taking him as a possible replacement for Fowler. But, the Bills are a team that has a history of taking its offensive linemen later in the draft and may continue to stick with that policy, even if it drives some of the team's fans crazy.

If you take those positions off the board, TE is the position that stands out as likely needing the biggest upgrade, especially since R.Royal also has to be getting close to the end of his contract. And, if you are looking for an athletic, smooth receiving TE, Beckum is as good as anyone that is out there. And, he comes from a program where the Bills have had some success in selecting Lee Evans.

As for drafting a WR that high: the odds are that the Bills will not be looking for a WR at the top of the draft, unless they fail to re-sign L.Evans. It looks like the Bills will be able to get something done with Evans and, if they do, there is no reason for them to look for another WR early on in the draft: no matter how Hardy performs, he will be given every opportunity to live up to his high draft status and it looks like he is the kind of guy who will work hard enough to ultimately do that; Roscoe gives them a good slot receiver, even if J.Reed--who I believe may be a FA--leaves; and, with a year under his belt, Steve Johnson could easily push for the # 3 WR spot. J.Jenkins may be a ST ace, but he has also shown more pass catching ability that S.Aiken ever did and would not be a bad # 5 WR, if the Bills let J.Reed go. All of this being the case, there would be no reason for the Bills to spend a pick in the first 3 rounds on a WR unless someone outstanding fell to them in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Nor will the Bills be looking to draft a QB in the first round if Edwards has a good season--although they may look to draft one in the middle to late rounds if they don't like the crop of veteran QBs that are available in free agency. It simply wouldn't make sense for them to create a QB controversy when they will have finally settled on a young guy that they want to go with and develop further.

Injuries (and, perhaps, the Peters situation), of course, could change things, but I don't see the Bills being able to or even looking to upgrade that many positions at the top of the next draft. And, of those that they would be looking at, I think TE could be one of their priorities (along with LB if they let Crowell walk).

I agree with most of what you say except when it comes to Beckum. Even if we pick toward the last 3rd of the 1st rd (at #21 according to this mock draft) I don't think Beckum is 1st rd material and feel we'd be reaching quite a bit! An OLB isn't a bad idea if we can't sign Crowell - though I hope we can. And you are right, if we are that low, odds are we won't get a top DE to perhaps take over for Denney. If the Peters situation doesn't get resolved, I could see an OT being picked.

But all in all, it's hard to predict at this point what might be the best options. injuries and how we play during this season will likely show us best where we should spend efforts to improve and even then, FA often takes care of some of those issues.