PDA

View Full Version : Steven Jackson Gets New Deal

sba
08-21-2008, 11:22 AM
Well, if this doesn't help get Peters get into camp ASAP, nothing's gonna.

The Rams have agreed in principle on a new contract with Steven Jackson.
Who said the Rams' front office was incompetent? "In principle, it's agreed to," Jackson said of his deal. He added that it'll be "pretty much done" after a few details are taken care of. We're guessing, but a deal in the six-year, $48-50 million range with $18-20 million guaranteed seems right. Aug. 21 - 8:40 am et
Source: St Louis Post-Dispatch (http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/stories.nsf/rams/story/7C56FFAC8BCEB079862574AC00139157?OpenDocument)

trapezeus
08-21-2008, 11:31 AM
but the rams offered a deal. i don't know of Steven Jackson's situation is comparable at all to the bills/peters situation.

Mitchy moo
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
Even if we give him that exact same deal, within a few years he'll be squeezing us again for more. He wants to be overpaid for 1 good years worth of work. I really think he needs to show up, kick butt and see where he'll collect enough to satisfy his greed. Evans first, then we can talk about him later.

patmoran2006
08-21-2008, 11:33 AM
how does that help?

Jackson got a new deal. By all reports, the Bills dont have any interest in giving Peters a new deal this year.

Tatonka
08-21-2008, 11:36 AM
jason peters has no idea what the bills want to do based on the fact that he has not been in touch with anyone..

RedEyE
08-21-2008, 11:37 AM
Same agent similar situations.

The only thing that I don't like from Peters is that he has had ZERO communication with the Bills FO. What does that prove?

I bet he's just avaoiding camp and he shows up for practice Monday.

RockStar36
08-21-2008, 11:47 AM
The Bills have said numerous times that if Peters shows up, they are open to negotiations. He is being a complete douche by not talking, by not showing up, by being completely MIA. I'm glad the Bills have taken this stance and stoof firm. Now if he shows up, it's a new ballgame. But till he does that, he can sit and rot for all I care.

mayotm
08-21-2008, 11:48 AM
Same agent similar situations.

The only thing that I don't like from Peters is that he has had ZERO communication with the Bills FO. What does that prove?

I bet he's just avaoiding camp and he shows up for practice Monday.Except Jackson had one year left on his deal. Peters has three.

justasportsfan
08-21-2008, 12:30 PM
Peters has no leverage to begin with yet he decided to sit out. :coocoo:

Schobel had no leverage too but they paid him anyways because they knew he was underpaid compared to what they paid Kelsay and he showed up.

The bills have stated that they know Peters is underpaid. If he did what Aaron did chances are they would've paid him.

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 01:03 PM
What's funny about that Jackson deal is that it's the same deal the offered him a month ago and he and his agent declined.

Mitchy moo
08-21-2008, 01:12 PM
What's funny about that Jackson deal is that it's the same deal the offered him a month ago and he and his agent declined.

Reality set in, it's not a bad deal. That just tells me that we are that much farther behind in this situation. We offered nothing larger than the current contract he has, so Peters has nothing to move him back to Buffalo but his normal paycheck. Jackson had 1 year left to Peters 3, so I would safely say pushing for a huge raise now is a bit premature today, next season I think it's a given.

Nothing to see here.

justasportsfan
08-21-2008, 01:16 PM
We offered nothing larger than the current contract he has, so Peters has nothing to move him back to Buffalo but his normal paycheck.

Nothing to see here.He has to show up first before they offer him more. Thats what they were saying and the bills have the leverage to do so. Peters is the idiot here.

Mitchy moo
08-21-2008, 01:29 PM
He has to show up first before they offer him more. Thats what they were saying and the bills have the leverage to do so. Peters is the idiot here.

Peters being on the field may determine how far we go this season. We build a solid line and then something like this happens and hurts the team as a whole, it's just not good.

justasportsfan
08-21-2008, 01:48 PM
Peters being on the field may determine how far we go this season. We build a solid line and then something like this happens and hurts the team as a whole, it's just not good.
I agree it's not good. It's a lose-lose situation for both sides unless Walker can handle the left tackle and someone at the RT.

RockStar36
08-21-2008, 01:57 PM
The Bills have all the leverage and they've shown that in moving Walker to LT. Obviously Walker is no Peters and Chambers is no Walker, but by the Bills doing that so early into camp they basically said to Peters, "Go ahead and sit. We'll just move on without you. Sucker."

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 01:58 PM
The Bills have all the leverage and they've shown that in moving Walker to LT. Obviously Walker is no Peters and Chambers is no Walker, but by the Bills doing that so early into camp they basically said to Peters, "Go ahead and sit. We'll just move on without you. Sucker."
I don't know about leverage, not having Peters there will hurt the Bills just as much. They NEED him and he NEEDS more money, door swings both ways if you ask me.

justasportsfan
08-21-2008, 02:01 PM
what happens next year WHEN Walker becomes a probowl LT?

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 02:02 PM
what happens next year WHEN Walker becomes a probowl LT?
Did you see him in Oakland at LT? :sick:

Mitchy moo
08-21-2008, 02:05 PM
I don't know about leverage, not having Peters there will hurt the Bills just as much. They NEED him and he NEEDS more money, door swings both ways if you ask me.

I personally think we need to throw him a bonus, like $4 Million and if he performs as well he'll get a huge contract. It's a fair way of saying your underpaid but we do not want to deal with it until next year.

gr8slayer
08-21-2008, 02:06 PM
I personally think we need to throw him a bonus, like $4 Million and if he performs as well he'll get a huge contract. It's a fair way of saying your underpaid but we do not want to deal with it until next year.
Good point, restructure his deal for this year and let him earn the long-term deal. But sadly that's not how players see it, they want their long-term deal now.

Lexwhat
08-21-2008, 06:26 PM
ST. LOUIS (AP) - Steven Jackson signed a six-year, $44 million contract Thursday, a day after agreeing to end a 27-day holdout, and was on the field for practice with the St. Louis Rams (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/team/67051) after completing a physical.

The 235-pound running back had been entering the final season of a five-year, $7 million deal he signed as a first-round pick in 2004.

Linehan said he understood the business end of the game after Jackson got a deal that includes more than $20 million in bonuses and puts him third on the salary scale on the team, trailing only quarterback Marc Bulger (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/player/70023) and Pace and fifth among NFL running backs.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8472076?MSNHPHMA

Lexwhat
08-21-2008, 06:27 PM
Jackson, 25, said both sides compromised during negotiations that stayed underground and generally cordial. Gregarious by nature, he kept silent publicly while getting frequent text-message updates from teammates and Linehan, and then flew from his home in Las Vegas to St. Louis on Wednesday when the deal was imminent.

jamze132
08-21-2008, 06:38 PM
I bet Peters shows up before the last preseason game. I wonder if his knee injury had anything to do with his unwillingness to attend camp. But seriously, the guy is going to make over $3M this year!!!

We need this guy in camp and everyone knows this. I hope Walker is staying fresh at RT since I have a feeling he will be there when we play Seattle. I would hate for him to be at LT through the last preseason game and then have to move back to RT when the season opens.

The bottom line is that Peters has put himself way before his team and has screwed over the O-line. I just hope that he trully is good enough to come in at the last minute and not skip a beat but I just don't think that is possible.

Kelly The Dog
08-21-2008, 07:55 PM
Peters has no leverage to begin with yet he decided to sit out. :coocoo:

Schobel had no leverage too but they paid him anyways because they knew he was underpaid compared to what they paid Kelsay and he showed up.

The bills have stated that they know Peters is underpaid. If he did what Aaron did chances are they would've paid him.
Actually, that doesn't appear to be true. Schobel wasn't happy with the money he was making when Kelsay got paid, and then sat out some OTAs. The Bills decided they WOULD renegotiate with him with three years left before camp. They went back and forth for six months and had basically worked out the deal before training camp. That's why he showed. It wasn't that he showed and they rewarded him by negotiating.

From the Buff News when he signed the extension:

Aaron Schobel isn’t one to draw attention to himself, but he likes to know that his work on the field is being recognized.

That finally happened for the veteran defensive end last season when he earned his first Pro Bowl selection. On Friday, the Buffalo Bills also acknowledged his standing in the league by signing him to the richest contract in franchise and Buffalo sports history.

The deal was completed prior to the Bills’ 28-17 preseason loss to the Tennessee Titans at Ralph Wilson Stadium.

“Obviously I had three years left on my deal, so they didn’t have to do anything,” said Schobel, who indicated the contract was done before training camp, but some final details had to be hammered out before it could be completed. “It took a long time to get this done. I’m glad it’s done. It was good for both of us.”

Schobel’s contract is worth $50.5 million over seven years. That counts the three years Schobel had remaining on his existing contract and four years of an extension.

The deal includes a total of $21 million in guaranteed money to be paid out over the next four years.

In March, Bills starting left guard Derrick Dockery received a seven-year, $49 million free agent contract that included $18 million in guarantees. In terms of total value, Schobel’s contract also tops the seven-year, $50 million deal the Buffalo Sabres gave Thomas Vanek.

“We value Aaron very much,” said Jim Overdorf, the Bills’ vice president of football administration and chief contract negotiator. “Obviously, we want to keep our own and this is one of the ways to do it. We approached them, they approached us and we came to a common ground. It was a long process. Obviously, it worked out pretty well.”

Schobel’s contract, which averages $7.2 million per year, ranks him among the highest paid defensive ends in the NFL.

Just before training camp, Indianapolis made defensive end Dwight Freeney the highest paid defensive player with a six-year, $72 million deal that included $30 million worth of guaranteed money.

Last week, New England awarded defensive end Ty Warren a five-year, $36 million extension that included $17.5 million of guarantees.

“I think the reason we were able to get this deal done was because of the way Aaron has handled himself during his career in Buffalo,” said Schobel’s agent, Jeff Nalley, who along with assistant Vann McElroy has been working on the extension the last six months.

The Bills really had no choice but to give Schobel a raise after signing fellow defensive end Chris Kelsay to a fouryear contract that includes $14 million in guaranteed money and will pay him an average of $5.75 million. That put him above Schobel, who was scheduled to make $3.8 million per year over the last three years of his previous contract.

Schobel was not happy with that arrangement, especially considering Kelsay’s body of work pales considerably to his.

Schobel finished third in the league last season with a career- high 14 sacks. His 54 sacks over the last five years are fourth most in the NFL, behind only Jason Taylor, Simeon Rice and Freeney. Schobel has 60.5 sacks in his six-year career, ranking third on the Bills’ alltime list behind Bruce Smith and Phil Hansen. Kelsay has just 12.5 career sacks, including 5.5 last season.

“That was my argument the whole time,” Schobel said. “Look at what I’ve done. I feel that I should be paid for what I’ve done. Obviously they stepped up and did it.”