PDA

View Full Version : Jim Kelly's Remarks about Jason Peters

Ebenezer
08-21-2008, 07:26 PM
I was taking my daughter to gymnastics and listening to WGR. I don't know if they have it in their audio vault yet so I don't have a link.

Today, they were doing a radiothon for Hunter's Hope. Jim Kelly was on between 4 and 5PM. He had a couple of comments on the Peters' situation. I'll paraphrase but basically:

1. Nothing gets done until Peters reports.
2. His agent is to blame and giving him terrible advice.
3. His agents wants the payday.
4. If he were the owner he would think about redoing the deal but the three years remaining would way heavily.
5. He would redo the contract of a one year player on their first contract but might not redo the second contract.

There was probably more but I had to go inside.....

Thoughts.

Mitchy moo
08-21-2008, 08:11 PM
3 years left on the deal and he wants a new one is a joke. Having a probowl left tackle that making less than 1/3 the comparable player in the same position is a joke as well. I think the only real compromise here is to give him a large reporting bonus and promise to work out a deal for probowl money when he makes it there again.

VeggieMan14
08-21-2008, 08:19 PM
3 years left on the deal and he wants a new one is a joke. Having a probowl left tackle that making less than 1/3 the comparable player in the same position is a joke as well. I think the only real compromise here is to give him a large reporting bonus and promise to work out a deal for probowl money when he makes it there again. just give him a couple mil to show up and it might change his mind i think that is a good idea actually

Romes
08-21-2008, 08:24 PM
I agree with Jim.

Al the Bills Fan
08-21-2008, 08:30 PM
I agree with Kelly

Nighthawk
08-21-2008, 08:31 PM
Do I agree with how Peters is handling this? No. Do I think the Bills should pay him? Yes. There is no way that this guy should not be the highest paid OL on this team...there is no justification for that.

jamze132
08-21-2008, 08:48 PM
Do I agree with how Peters is handling this? No. Do I think the Bills should pay him? Yes. There is no way that this guy should not be the highest paid OL on this team...there is no justification for that.
Well you can thank the FO for paying Dockery and Walker what they are making. I think if Peters gets what he wants, we will have the highest paid O-line in the NFL.

trapezeus
08-21-2008, 08:57 PM
whenever kelly talks about the bills, it's very common sense stuff. in terms of the idea of a new stadium and how he'd deal with players they make sense. too bad he doesn't have the money to get any of it done.

he seems like he has the right "owner;s" mindset.

Ebenezer
08-21-2008, 09:02 PM
whenever kelly talks about the bills, it's very common sense stuff. in terms of the idea of a new stadium and how he'd deal with players they make sense. too bad he doesn't have the money to get any of it done.

he seems like he has the right "owner;s" mindset.
He did imply that he would like to be the next owner...he is still friends with Donald Trump from their days in the USFL. Who knows? Trump's money and Jim's history here? Think of the possible development that could come with a new stadium.

LABillsFan
08-21-2008, 09:41 PM
The thing is, the FO stated they know he is worth more, that implies a willingness to renegotiate. So what is really going on?

Typ0
08-21-2008, 10:12 PM

there is justification for that. You create the contract in hopes that the player will outplay the value of the contract. That is how superbowls are won. You don't just cave in and give everyone $$$ based on last seasons performance. What good is a long-term contract if it's just going to be redone every year? Do players give money back when they fail to perform?

Goobylal
08-21-2008, 10:17 PM
The thing is, the FO stated they know he is worth more, that implies a willingness to renegotiate. So what is really going on?
What I think is going on is that Peters and Parker came up with an outlandish contract, like $11M/year and $30M signing bonus and said "this is what we want." Since the Bills haven't agreed to it, Peters and Parker are remaining silent. I think the Bills know they'll end-up having to give him that deal, but want to wait another year because it's so huge. That's the only scenario that makes sense to me.

njsue
08-22-2008, 06:33 AM
Your hit the nail on the head, Jimbo.

Historian
08-22-2008, 07:02 AM
Well, it's easy for a QB to talk like that.

They know (or always knew) that they're going to get the big payday.

However, My guess is that Peters and his agent figure the Bills are going to cave given the fact that Edwards is a second year QB, with still a lot to learn, and will be in a lot of situations where he may need that extra second to make a decision.

Personally, I think they need to adopt a different strategy.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 07:03 AM

However, My guess is that Peters and his agent figure the Bills are going to cave given the fact that Edwards is a second year QB, with still a lot to learn, and will be in a lot of situations where he may need that extra second to make a decision.

say it with me....

New agent needs big payday.

njsue
08-22-2008, 07:05 AM
say it with me....

New agent needs big payday.

Peters should kick this idiot Agent to the curb. Hire Lee Steinberg.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 07:06 AM
Peters should kick this idiot Agent to the curb. Hire Lee Steinberg.
I think Lee only deals with QBs...not sure though.

dannyek71
08-22-2008, 07:28 AM
Yea, the guy deserves to be the highest paid OL on the team, but he should at least report to camp. History has shown the Bills will redo contracts provided the player comes to camp.

northernbillfan
08-22-2008, 07:38 AM
say it with me....

New agent needs big payday.Especially if the agent wants to build a client base.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 07:39 AM
Especially if the agent wants to build a client base.
True, but Parker has that.

trapezeus
08-22-2008, 08:16 AM
He did imply that he would like to be the next owner...he is still friends with Donald Trump from their days in the USFL. Who knows? Trump's money and Jim's history here? Think of the possible development that could come with a new stadium.

yeah, i'm not sure what his ownership plans are. i've heard him discuss it, but then he never lays down the plan. and he doesn't have to.

I'm just saying, he says the right things about all these situations. i think he is slowly showing himself as a competent hire up. in the sense that he looks at these things and has his two cents and they aren't stupid stuff. I wonder if the ownership talk doesn't work if he eventually finds himself in the GM role for a team.

i know talent evaluation is a whole different animal, but i get a sense he'd be good at it.

Night Train
08-22-2008, 08:21 AM
Especially if the agent wants to build a client base.

He just collected a bundle yesterday when his client Steven Jackson signed with the Rams. He represents plenty of big names.

He won't be in the cheese line at the local church anytime soon.

trapezeus
08-22-2008, 08:26 AM

This actually brings up an interesting point. Edwards is paid like a 3rd round pick expected to be a backup. now he's the starter. if he plays well this year, we could see the same tactic by edwards depending on how the bills play their cards.

Romes
08-22-2008, 08:48 AM
Joe D said a similar thing this morning.

He said he wished he could speak to Peters because the Bills took a chance on him and he owes them.

He also said that it'll be tough for Peters to come in and have a Pro Bowl year after missing all the off-season practices.

HHURRICANE
08-22-2008, 09:00 AM
I agree with Jim.

I agree with Skooby. Give him 3 million to report.

justasportsfan
08-22-2008, 09:14 AM

they must've looked at the line up and thought no one can take Peters place. That might be true but so far, Walker has done a decent job in the little time he's played there. ONly time will tell.

ddaryl
08-22-2008, 12:10 PM
1. Nothing gets done until Peters reports.
2. His agent is to blame and giving him terrible advice.
3. His agents wants the payday.
4. If he were the owner he would think about redoing the deal but the three years remaining would way heavily.
5. He would redo the contract of a one year player on their first contract but might not redo the second contract.

There was probably more but I had to go inside.....

Thoughts.

pretty much the way I've been viewing this situation

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:12 PM
pretty much the way I've been viewing this situation
pretty much the sensible way of doing business.

RockStar36
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
Parker is the new Rosenhaus in my book. At least three different hold-outs just this season alone, he is really making a new for himself.

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:18 PM
Is Jim a tightwad like Ralph? If so I don't want him.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:22 PM
Is Jim a tightwad like Ralph? If so I don't want him.
Kelly doesn't have that kind of money. He would be a very very minority owner. What he said on the radio made a lot of sense though. Peters may be worth more money but he has to get to camp and at least show them he is any where near playable and healed before they can even talk.

VeggieMan14
08-22-2008, 12:25 PM
Kelly doesn't have that kind of money. He would be a very very minority owner. What he said on the radio made a lot of sense though. Peters may be worth more money but he has to get to camp and at least show them he is any where near playable and healed before they can even talk. what if all the former bills members came together to make one ultra bills owner?

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:27 PM
what if all the former bills members came together to make one ultra bills owner?
I think if you took all the guys who ever played for the Bills and drained their lives savings you still would not have enough for the price the Bills will fetch.

VeggieMan14
08-22-2008, 12:29 PM
I think if you took all the guys who ever played for the Bills and drained their lives savings you still would not have enough for the price the Bills will fetch. ah touche

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Kelly doesn't have that kind of money. He would be a very very minority owner. What he said on the radio made a lot of sense though. Peters may be worth more money but he has to get to camp and at least show them he is any where near playable and healed before they can even talk.
So your stance is, you think he should be paid once he shows up?

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:33 PM
So your stance is, you think he should be paid once he shows up?
That has been my stance all along. I don't how many times I have stated that. The onus is on him. He had offseason surgery for an injury. I don't give him gas money until he shows he has healed. I don't even talk about lunch money until he shows me something. He could have ballooned to 375 pounds and a BMI of 50 for all we know. The surgery could have been botched and the guy could be a complete wreck. There isn't a way I give him a dime of guarenteed money until he gets in and shows me he can play. Then we can talk.

I don't know how much simpler I can put that.

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:34 PM
That has been my stance all along. I don't how many times I have stated that. The onus is on him. He had offseason surgery for an injury. I don't give him gas money until he shows he has healed. I don't even talk about lunch money until he shows me something. He could have ballooned to 375 pounds and a BMI of 50 for all we know. The surgery could have been botched and the guy could be a complete wreck. There isn't a way I give him a dime of guarenteed money until he gets in and shows me he can play. Then we can talk.

I don't know how much simpler I can put that.
And you really think that this organization is going to pay the man once he shows up? I have absolutely no faith that they will.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:36 PM
And you really think that this organization is going to pay the man once he shows up? I have absolutely no faith that they will.
You are free to feel that way. If you hate this organization and distrust them so much then why are you still a fan is beyond me. You pay money to hate something?? Either that or you just like to churn up crap on a message board...regardless....

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:39 PM
You are free to feel that way. If you hate this organization and distrust them so much then why are you still a fan is beyond me. You pay money to hate something?? Either that or you just like to churn up crap on a message board...regardless....
Nice, a moderator trying to lure someone into a pissing contest. Because I pay as much as I do year in and year out I feel that I have the right to ***** and complain about the worst ownership in sports. How is it your place to question my loyalty to the team? I ask a simple question and you want to start ****.

VeggieMan14
08-22-2008, 12:40 PM
Nice, a moderator trying to lure someone into a pissing contest. Because I pay as much as I do year in and year out I feel that I have the right to ***** and complain about the worst ownership in sports. How is it your place to question my loyalty to the team? I ask a simple question and you want to start ****.this is just like the are you questioning my fanhood commercial :drama:

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
Nice, a moderator trying to lure someone into a pissing contest. Because I pay as much as I do year in and year out I feel that I have the right to ***** and complain about the worst ownership in sports. How is it your place to question my loyalty to the team? I ask a simple question and you want to start ****.
Mod or not, I have the right to ask any question of anybody I please. I asked a legitimate question. I would ask the same question of somebody who despised the taste of liver yet continued to eat liver. It's illogical.

If you don't like what I say I suggest hitting the ignore button.

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:42 PM
this is just like the are you questioning my fanhood commercial :drama:
It's really not that shocking, Eb is always trying to start **** with someone.

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:43 PM
Mod or not, I have the right to ask any question of anybody I please. I asked a legitimate question. I would ask the same question of somebody who despised the taste of liver yet continued to eat liver. It's illogical.

If you don't like what I say I suggest hitting the ignore button.
So you assume that everyone is happy with everything their team does all the time? I have lot's of issues with the way the Cowboys are doing things right now and they might be the best team in the league. You really are ignorant.

If you can't have a civil discussion with me I'd suggest that you stop responding to my posts.

VeggieMan14
08-22-2008, 12:43 PM

If you don't like what I say I suggest hitting the ignore button. liver :teary:

VeggieMan14
08-22-2008, 12:44 PM
It's really not that shocking, Eb is always trying to start **** with someone. dont worry you can take him :chuk:

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:45 PM
dont worry you can take him :chuk:
He'll just go cry to LOG or another admin; he can't fight his own battles but he loves to start them.

VeggieMan14
08-22-2008, 12:48 PM
He'll just go cry to LOG or another admin; he can't fight his own battles but he loves to start them. is it starting to smell a little bit fishy if ya know what i mean :bad:

Ed
08-22-2008, 02:04 PM
Why not? They paid Schobel last year who was in the exact same situation Peters is in this year. Plus, they're extending everyone else.

Maybe if Peters had shown up to practice and had a discussion with them they could have at least gotten somewhere instead of him just being MIA and silent since January.

ddaryl
08-22-2008, 02:33 PM
they won't pay him as soon as he shows up, but they will start dialog and they will want to see if Peters shows up at OTA's next season... I don't think Peters is getting his extension this seaosn... not with 3 years left on the present one, and the fact he has handled himself like a dick

and you can bet the farm that the Bills will want lots of incentives