• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ebenezer
    Give me a minute...
    • Jul 2002

Jim Kelly's Remarks about Jason Peters

I was taking my daughter to gymnastics and listening to WGR. I don't know if they have it in their audio vault yet so I don't have a link.

Today, they were doing a radiothon for Hunter's Hope. Jim Kelly was on between 4 and 5PM. He had a couple of comments on the Peters' situation. I'll paraphrase but basically:

1. Nothing gets done until Peters reports.
    2. His agent is to blame and giving him terrible advice.
    3. His agents wants the payday.
    4. If he were the owner he would think about redoing the deal but the three years remaining would way heavily.
    5. He would redo the contract of a one year player on their first contract but might not redo the second contract.

There was probably more but I had to go inside.....

Thoughts.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.
  • Mitchy moo
    Roways rooking ahread!
    • Sep 2005

Re: Jim Kelly's Remarks about Jason Peters

3 years left on the deal and he wants a new one is a joke. Having a probowl left tackle that making less than 1/3 the comparable player in the same position is a joke as well. I think the only real compromise here is to give him a large reporting bonus and promise to work out a deal for probowl money when he makes it there again.

Comment

• VeggieMan14
      • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Skooby
      3 years left on the deal and he wants a new one is a joke. Having a probowl left tackle that making less than 1/3 the comparable player in the same position is a joke as well. I think the only real compromise here is to give him a large reporting bonus and promise to work out a deal for probowl money when he makes it there again.
      just give him a couple mil to show up and it might change his mind i think that is a good idea actually
      I feel a win streak coming and a Bills Playoff Run!!!

VeggieMan- To many Concussions as a kid

Comment

• Romes
        • Jul 2002

I agree with Jim.
        Originally posted by paladin warrior
        RALPH is drove me nut.

Comment

• Al the Bills Fan
          • Aug 2007

I agree with Kelly

Comment

• Nighthawk
            Getting old waiting for a championship in Buffalo!
            • Jul 2002

Do I agree with how Peters is handling this? No. Do I think the Bills should pay him? Yes. There is no way that this guy should not be the highest paid OL on this team...there is no justification for that.

Comment

• jamze132
              Don’t hate…
              • Jun 2003

Originally posted by Nighthawk
              Do I agree with how Peters is handling this? No. Do I think the Bills should pay him? Yes. There is no way that this guy should not be the highest paid OL on this team...there is no justification for that.
              Well you can thank the FO for paying Dockery and Walker what they are making. I think if Peters gets what he wants, we will have the highest paid O-line in the NFL.

Comment

• trapezeus
                Legendary Zoner
                • Oct 2004

whenever kelly talks about the bills, it's very common sense stuff. in terms of the idea of a new stadium and how he'd deal with players they make sense. too bad he doesn't have the money to get any of it done.

he seems like he has the right "owner;s" mindset.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                  Give me a minute...
                  • Jul 2002

Originally posted by trapezeus
                  whenever kelly talks about the bills, it's very common sense stuff. in terms of the idea of a new stadium and how he'd deal with players they make sense. too bad he doesn't have the money to get any of it done.

he seems like he has the right "owner;s" mindset.
                  He did imply that he would like to be the next owner...he is still friends with Donald Trump from their days in the USFL. Who knows? Trump's money and Jim's history here? Think of the possible development that could come with a new stadium.

For all the education and practice each of us undergoes, the achievment of mastery is ultimately the outcome of a personal quest for understanding.

Comment

• LABillsFan
                    • Aug 2002

The thing is, the FO stated they know he is worth more, that implies a willingness to renegotiate. So what is really going on?
                    I've said it before and I'll say it again, I don't repeat myself.

Comment

• Typ0
                      honey pie
                      • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Nighthawk
                      there is justification for that. You create the contract in hopes that the player will outplay the value of the contract. That is how superbowls are won. You don't just cave in and give everyone $$$ based on last seasons performance. What good is a long-term contract if it's just going to be redone every year? Do players give money back when they fail to perform?

Comment

• Goobylal
                        • Jan 2004

Originally posted by LABillsFan
                        The thing is, the FO stated they know he is worth more, that implies a willingness to renegotiate. So what is really going on?
                        What I think is going on is that Peters and Parker came up with an outlandish contract, like $11M/year and $30M signing bonus and said "this is what we want." Since the Bills haven't agreed to it, Peters and Parker are remaining silent. I think the Bills know they'll end-up having to give him that deal, but want to wait another year because it's so huge. That's the only scenario that makes sense to me.

Comment

• njsue
                          Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                          • Sep 2003

Your hit the nail on the head, Jimbo.

Comment

• Historian
                            2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                            • Dec 2002

Well, it's easy for a QB to talk like that.

They know (or always knew) that they're going to get the big payday.

However, My guess is that Peters and his agent figure the Bills are going to cave given the fact that Edwards is a second year QB, with still a lot to learn, and will be in a lot of situations where he may need that extra second to make a decision.

Personally, I think they need to adopt a different strategy.

Comment

• Ebenezer
                              Give me a minute...
                              • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Historian
                              Well, it's easy for a QB to talk like that.

They know (or always knew) that they're going to get the big payday.

However, My guess is that Peters and his agent figure the Bills are going to cave given the fact that Edwards is a second year QB, with still a lot to learn, and will be in a lot of situations where he may need that extra second to make a decision.

Personally, I think they need to adopt a different strategy.
                              say it with me....

New agent needs big payday.

Comment

Working...
                              X