PDA

View Full Version : Judge: Peters making all the wrong moves

Romes
08-21-2008, 09:03 PM
http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/10942069

I hope Buffalo Bills tackle Jason Peters paid attention to what happened in St. Louis, because he needs to pull a Steven Jackson and return to his team.

But, hey, don't take it from me, Jason. Take it from your agent. He happens to be the same guy who represents Jackson and who recommended that the Rams running back return to his club.

So Jackson did. Now he has a new contract. Connect the dots.

You'd think that Peters would, especially with the Bills holding to the Rams' policy of not negotiating a new contract until the player returns. But he's still missing.

Once I thought his demands might be a convenient device to skip training camp, which meant I thought he would rejoin the team once it moved back to Orchard Park. Well, it returned for Thursday's practice, and he wasn't there.

Too bad. Because he doesn't hold the cards here; the Bills do. He's under contract. In fact, he's under contract for three seasons.

So if he doesn't report he doesn't get paid. Worse, he gets fined, and last time I checked that was running in excess of $200,000. What's more, the club is investigating the possibility of reclaiming part of his signing bonus, which is another reason for Peters to wake up and smell the coffee.

The Bills are looking into reclaiming his signing bonus. :bf1:

Romes
08-21-2008, 09:11 PM
Here is another article, this one from the AP. http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080821.wsptbills21/GSStory/GlobeSportsFootball/home

This whole thing gets stranger by the day. I'd almost prefer a Bolden type situation, atleast then you know where the player stands.

Philagape
08-21-2008, 09:39 PM
Man this will get even uglier if they touch his bonus. He'll want out.

Romes
08-21-2008, 09:47 PM
Man this will get even uglier if they touch his bonus. He'll want out.

I agree but do you have any other ideas on how they can get him back without re-structuring his deal?

I assume they wouldn't pull back his signing bonus until the season starts.

Philagape
08-21-2008, 09:48 PM
I'm not saying the Bills are wrong to do it; just lamenting how deep this quagmire is getting.

Romes
08-21-2008, 09:53 PM
I'm not saying the Bills are wrong to do it; just lamenting how deep this quagmire is getting.

Yeah, unless someone realizes the error in their ways I don't see a happy ending to this situation.

:sadwalk:

Philagape
08-21-2008, 09:55 PM
They're both wrong, but each side has done nothing but antagonize the other.

Romes
08-21-2008, 10:03 PM
I'm hoping both sides realize its a business thing and don't take it personally but I'm not sure how likely that is.

The Spaz
08-21-2008, 10:09 PM
They're both wrong, but each side has done nothing but antagonize the other.

From what I have been getting the Bills have tried to make contact with Peters but he is the one not responding.

camelcowboy
08-21-2008, 10:31 PM
They're both wrong, but each side has done nothing but antagonize the other. bills have done nothing wrong, peters needs to show!

lordofgun
08-22-2008, 06:51 AM
From the article:

The Bills are taking a hard-line approach, demanding that Peters play under his current contract this season before they consider negotiating a new deal.

This is ridiculous if true.

Romes
08-22-2008, 07:13 AM
From the article:

That's the primary reason I'm very concerned about this lasting into the season.

RedEyE
08-22-2008, 07:16 AM
If it is a pissing contest (all other reports seem to conflict this) then chalk this up to stubborn, bull headed, egotistical **** on the Bills FO.

However, every other report shows that Buffalo is willing to renegotiate the contract IF Jason just drops the twinkies and the remote and gets back to work.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2008, 07:18 AM
I think Mike Lombardi said it best:

I know the Bills are upset with Jason Peters, but there is a cause and effect of paying big money to outside free agents. You always have to keep in mind how the locker room will react. If you don’t take that into account, the first time something bad happens the locker room is a mess. The signings of Dockery and Walker last year are the reason why this hold out is occurring. I told this exact same thing to Bill Parcells during his last year with Dallas when he lost Flozell Adams due to injuries. Teams cannot recover from losing an offensive left tackle. There are not many great left tackles sitting on the bench in the NFL.

LINK (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/08/national-football-post-tavern-talk-2/)

You can be upset with Peters tactics, but it really just clouds the issue.

The fact is he is underpaid. The signings of Dockery and Walker only underscore that. Peters is the best OL the Bills have, and as a top LT is a key factor in how successful their season will be. Anyone who denies that is burying their head in the sand.

The Bills should be proactive in dealing with issue, because it is an important factor to their fortunes this season. They don't necessarily have to give him a contract right away, they can explore a compromise position. Throw him a couple million this year to keep him happy, with the promise of dealing with a new contract next offseason. That allows both sides to claim victory, since Peters gets a little more money and the Bills get a player back who is key to any success they might have this year.

Sitting on your hands to prove a point is stupid, because the focus should be entirely on giving yourself the best chance to win. Peters at LT does that.

Even if the Bills "win" and they force Peters back to camp, where does that get him? You get an unhappy player who feels he was wronged, which can hurt team chemistry. You make any future negotiations potentially more contentious. In short, you are the Bengals under Mike Brown.

RedEyE
08-22-2008, 07:22 AM

LINK (http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/2008/08/national-football-post-tavern-talk-2/)

The fact is he is underpaid. The signings of Dockery and Walker only underscore that. Peters is the best OL the Bills have, and as a top LT is a key factor in how successful their season will be. Anyone who denies that is burying their head in the sand.

The Bills should be proactive in dealing with issue, because it is an important factor to their fortunes this season. They don't necessarily have to give him a contract right away, they can explore a compromise position. Throw him a couple million this year to keep him happy, with the promise of dealing with a new contract next offseason. That allows both sides to claim victory, since Peters gets a little more money and the Bills get a player back who is key to any success they might have this year.

Sitting on your hands to prove a point is stupid, because the focus should be entirely on giving yourself the best chance to win. Peters at LT does that.

Even if the Bills "win" and they force Peters back to camp, where does that get him? You get an unhappy player who feels he was wronged, which can hurt team chemistry. You make any future negotiations potentially more contentious. In short, you are the Bengals under Mike Brown.

The Bills have attempted getting in touch with him on several occassions but Peters refuses to return calls or contact the team. They've also had limited contact with his agent. What else can the Bills do short of forming a posse and dragging the fat and fast ****er to work? They've thrown in the towle and refuse to discuss the issue any further until Peters reports. They have to focus on the season ahead. Peters is in the wrong here.

Romes
08-22-2008, 07:22 AM
If it is a pissing contest (all other reports seem to conflict this) then chalk this up to stubborn, bull headed, egotistical **** on the Bills FO.

However, every other report shows that Buffalo is willing to renegotiate the contract IF Jason just drops the twinkies and the remote and gets back to work.

It seems to me, all the other reports have said the Bills have tried to contact him but the notion that the Bills would renegotiate if he just shows up is speculation by the authors.

RedEyE
08-22-2008, 07:25 AM
It seems to me, all the other reports have said the Bills have tried to contact him but the notion that the Bills would renegotiate if he just shows up is speculation by the authors.
Speculation based on Russ Brandon admitting to the fact the guy is underpaid. Why should the Bills show their hand and openly admit to the media if they weren't prepared to make him an offer?

Romes
08-22-2008, 07:31 AM
Speculation based on Russ Brandon admitting to the fact the guy is underpaid. Why should the Bills show their hand and openly admit to the media if they weren't prepared to make him an offer?

Because if they show they are prepared to make him an offer it might get Peters to show up.

lordofgun
08-22-2008, 07:32 AM

I'm not sure I agree about him wanting to be paid because of the FAs we've brought in. I think he'd want to be paid either way (and rightfully so).

And until owners have to guarantee contracts, I think players have every right to get more money whenever they can.

RedEyE
08-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Because if they show they are prepared to make him an offer it might get Peters to show up.

Right...but by not giving him an offer there after would certianly make them look like dicks...and whose to say Peter doesn't walk off if they fail to follow through. I'm sorry but the ball is in Peters court here.

Romes
08-22-2008, 07:35 AM
Right...but by not giving him an offer there after would certianly make them look like dicks...and whose to say Peter doesn't walk off if they fail to follow through. I'm sorry but the ball is in Peters court here.

I totally agree the ball is in his court. I just wanted to clear up the fact that its not necessarily true that Peters would get a new contract just if he showed up.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 07:36 AM

Dockery and Walker were paid before Peters became so valuble. If he doesn't make the Probowl last year he would have had zero leverage.

Philagape
08-22-2008, 08:00 AM
bills have done nothing wrong, peters needs to show!

The Bills say they're going to keep him the third-highest paid lineman on the team at a right tackle's salary this year. Right or wrong, and I think it's wrong, that's antagonizing.
And now the signing bonus threat, if true. I think the Bills are right on that one, but that's also antagonizing.

Bill Brasky
08-22-2008, 09:24 AM
how is it ridiculous? they should restructure everybody's 5 year deal after they played 2 years of it? i don't see guys lining up for pay cuts when they don't live up to their deals. it's a two way street, both sides are playing chicken right now.

has he earned a new deal? probably. but he's gone about obtaining it all the wrong way.

HHURRICANE
08-22-2008, 09:28 AM

Jackson's situation is completely different. The guy was already in negotiations on a new contract.

Peters, has to make less than Walker. A guy that would struggle all year to play LT. The funny part is that Peters is better than Walker at RT as well.

Philagape
08-22-2008, 09:32 AM
they should restructure everybody's 5 year deal after they played 2 years of it?

Just those who become All-Pro at a crucial position.

Dozerdog
08-22-2008, 09:34 AM
how is it ridiculous? they should restructure everybody's 5 year deal after they played 2 years of it? i don't see guys lining up for pay cuts when they don't live up to their deals. it's a two way street, both sides are playing chicken right now.
While I agree on both sides keeping their word on contracts, a good employer (in any feild) tries their hardest to compensate and reward their better employees as much as possible.

Just as the Bills had no problems not honoring the rest of Mike William's contract in it's entirety, they should try and extend or amend a player who is vastly underpaid.

Oddly, reverse the draft positions of those two (top 4 overall and UDFA) and no one says a word

trapezeus
08-22-2008, 09:41 AM
this whole thing is so messed up. no one knows who is being truthful. the bills may or may not have offered compensation previously. they may or may not be willing to negotiate a new contract now. Peters may or may not have asked for a ridiculous contract in March. Peters may or may not be in buffalo.

there are too many variables to know where the biggest blunder occured. but we know the two have been more commited to being right than to work together. and that's problematic for the bills, the fans, peters and even parker.

Let's get someone in and get the groundrules laid out. will the bills give him a bump this year with a way to restructure next year if he's a probowler. is he content with a bump this year or does he need that contract now?

There is zero information out there for us to know if this will end. but i find it really sad that after the mike williams debacle that we aren't willing to sign our best OL. A franchise OL player, nonetheless.

Bill Brasky
08-22-2008, 10:16 AM
we all agree he's underpaid... i think the problem some are having is the way Peters and his Agent have handeled this process.

Philagape
08-22-2008, 10:18 AM
we all agree he's underpaid... i think the problem some are having is the way Peters and his Agent have handeled this process.

That's why I said both sides are wrong.

Peters should report, unconditionally.
And the Bills should pay him.

justasportsfan
08-22-2008, 10:28 AM
Peter should drop his agent and hire Schobels agent so that he gaets paid.

Ickybaluky
08-22-2008, 11:29 AM

has he earned a new deal? probably. but he's gone about obtaining it all the wrong way.

It is ridiculous because it is dumb to draw a line in the sand. That is why there is a standoff.

Whether Peters is right or wrong, the Bills should be flexible in dealing with him. He is a good enough player that the rules are different.

What is dumb it deciding to make a point only to have it hurt the chances of winning this season.

TacklingDummy
08-22-2008, 11:33 AM
:But, hey, don't take it from me, Jason. Take it from your agent. He happens to be the same guy who represents Jackson and who recommended that the Rams running back return to his club.

Did Jackson have 3 years left on his current contract?

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 11:34 AM
It is ridiculous because it is dumb to draw a line in the sand. That is why there is a standoff.

Whether Peters is right or wrong, the Bills should be flexible in dealing with him. He is a good enough player that the rules are different.

What is dumb it deciding to make a point only to have it hurt the chances of winning this season.
EXACTLY.

TacklingDummy
08-22-2008, 11:36 AM

They are being flexible. Peters has 3 years left on his deal. The Bills want him to play this year before they talk contract. It's not like they said wait until this contract is up.

RockStar36
08-22-2008, 12:03 PM
My guess is (keep in mind this is completely a guess on my part) but the Bills would like him to play out this year so they have time to sign the guys with expiring contracts, then handle Peters next off-season. Also, by him playing the full season it would prove that he has no lingering after effects from his injury last season because right now based on his actions the Bills could be assuming he's still hurt and hiding it.

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:05 PM
My guess is (keep in mind this is completely a guess on my part) but the Bills would like him to play out this year so they have time to sign the guys with expiring contracts, then handle Peters next off-season. Also, by him playing the full season it would prove that he has no lingering after effects from his injury last season because right now based on his actions the Bills could be assuming he's still hurt and hiding it.
I'm sure this is impossible but I would re-structure his deal this year to make him the highest paid OT in the league this year. Then if he does it again and has a great year give him a seven year deal making him the highest paid OT in the game.

ddaryl
08-22-2008, 12:09 PM

yep... Peters handled this the worng way and his agent is giving out terrible advice

RockStar36
08-22-2008, 12:11 PM
I'm sure this is impossible but I would re-structure his deal this year to make him the highest paid OT in the league this year. Then if he does it again and has a great year give him a seven year deal making him the highest paid OT in the game.

That's fine. But he needs to show up first.

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:13 PM
That's fine. But he needs to show up first.
Or the team needs to reach out and say "hey, we have a solution and we're willing to pay you what you're worth."

gr8slayer
08-22-2008, 12:14 PM
This is awesome:

The Buffalo News speculates that Jason Peters is looking for between $8 million and $11.5 million per season in a contract extension. Ralph Wilson is rolling over in his grave. The Bills are in an uncomfortable spot of setting the left tackle market for a player with three years left on his deal. Of all the holdouts this summer, this one is the most unpredictable.

Ebenezer
08-22-2008, 12:21 PM
And don't underestimate that the Bills are feeling some pressure from other owners NOT to set that market.