PDA

View Full Version : solve the Peters/Parker situation

trapezeus
08-23-2008, 08:25 PM
we've complained to no end on this topic. we don't have to jump down people's view points here. but it would be interesting to know how you'd try to solve the current situation. i realize we have no idea who has said what and what either party is looking for.

That being said, if i was an arbitrater trying to find a resolution with the little information i have, I'd say, "the bills should offer to pay a franchise tag salary to Peters this year worth theaverage salary of the top 5 LT's in the game. with incentives to make him a renewed 3 year deal next year provided he makes the probowl this year. Next year's 3 year renewal will get a guarantee worth the top 5 LT's at that time (which arguably should be worth more). If he doesn't make the probowl (or other form of statistical benchmarks), he'll get the rest of the current contract. If unhappy, he'll be free to seek a trade and the bills will look into making that happen to the best of their abilities."

I think that's fair for both parties.

shelby
08-23-2008, 08:27 PM
What, no front page article?

:D

trapezeus
08-23-2008, 08:31 PM
i'm working on my "one fan's view", but i am actually interested to hear how bills fans would try to fix it. other than "pay the guy" or "let him rot", we don't know how anyone would actually try to fix it.

it's obvious that both sides have let this get personal. and that's no way to conduct business. both sides need each other and neither side is wililng to admit that. there has to be a fair way where each side feels like the risk is put on each other and they can move forward.

Mitchy moo
08-23-2008, 08:31 PM
:poop: , not again.

yordad
08-23-2008, 08:37 PM
If I was the Bills, I would plan as if he isn't playing. If he shows up before the first game, tell him you will drop the fines if he plays one more year on his current deal.

If he shows up after the first game, you jack with him for three years, draft his replacement, then franchise him, and jack with him for two more.

Mess with the bull, you get the horns. Old father time should spank him.

Mr. Pink
08-23-2008, 08:55 PM
If I was the Bills, I would plan as if he isn't playing. If he shows up before the first game, tell him you will drop the fines if he plays one more year on his current deal.

If he shows up after the first game, you jack with him for three years, draft his replacement, then franchise him, and jack with him for two more.

Mess with the bull, you get the horns. Old father time should spank him.

Brilliant suggestion.

Jack with a guy who protects the blindside of a QB. So when he's in there he can just ole...Oops, I forgot to block that DE, my bad. Oh, the QB got killed? Well I don't care, you're paying me millions anyways and I have no care or loyalty to this organization anyways.

Thankfully you're not in the front office or staff.

yordad
08-23-2008, 10:04 PM
Well, FTY posted right after me (he is on ignore). I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess he told me my suggestion sucked, but didn't add his own. How did I do?

gr8slayer
08-24-2008, 01:09 AM
we've complained to no end on this topic. we don't have to jump down people's view points here. but it would be interesting to know how you'd try to solve the current situation. i realize we have no idea who has said what and what either party is looking for.

That being said, if i was an arbitrater trying to find a resolution with the little information i have, I'd say, "the bills should offer to pay a franchise tag salary to Peters this year worth theaverage salary of the top 5 LT's in the game. with incentives to make him a renewed 3 year deal next year provided he makes the probowl this year. Next year's 3 year renewal will get a guarantee worth the top 5 LT's at that time (which arguably should be worth more). If he doesn't make the probowl (or other form of statistical benchmarks), he'll get the rest of the current contract. If unhappy, he'll be free to seek a trade and the bills will look into making that happen to the best of their abilities."

Something similar to this has been brought up on several occasions over the past week or so and I completely agree with it.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-24-2008, 01:24 AM
I wrote a post on this not long ago and was thinking of possibly writing an article about it myself once I can finally get the problems I'm having with my computer sorted out, but I would be happy to share my thoughts on this with you and have you include them in your article instead:

First, the Bills have to stick by their position that they will not begin renegotiating a contract extension with Peters until he reports. But, that does not mean that they cannot let Eugene Parker know that they will give Peters a new deal if he does, in fact, report and play this season.

Second, the Bills cannot cave in on their insistence that Peters play under his current contract this season or they will leave the team open to having any player who has a great season in the future come back and demand a new contract. But, that does not mean that the Bills cannot put the kind of money that Peters wants (and deserves) for playing this season in his pocket.

Here's how they can negotiate a contract that will do that: Peters reports and plays. He gets paid paid the salary and bonuses that are due him under his current contract. At the same time, the Bills and Parker negotiate a long-term contract extension for Peters that will pay him a salary and bonus commensurate with what Top 3 LT should be paid ($ 8-9 million per season perhaps with additional bonuses) during the length of the contract. In exchange for having clauses put into the contract that will prevent Peters from holding out in the future and for Peters reporting this season, the Bills agree to add the difference between Peters' compensation this season and the franchise tag number for LTs this season to his signing bonus and guaranteed money in his new contract.

For example: if the extension calls for Peters to get $ 61.25 million for seven years, with a $ 12.25 million signing bonus and $ 18-20 million guaranteed, in exchange for reporting and playing under his current contract and the provisions I cited, Peters would get $ 66 million, with $ 17 million up-front and $23-25 million guaranteed. The difference being that between his current $ 3.2 million current compensation and the approximately $ 8.5 million that a franchised LT would be paid for this season.

Now, I'm not sure if I have the numbers exactly right, but I do believe that the concept that I am proposing could produce an agreement that would satisfy both parties. Peters and Parker would get the money that they want in a contract that would pay Peters what he deserves as a top LT in the game. The Bills would get a long-term extension with Peters that would guarantee that he would not holdout again and satisfy their need to be able to say that they will not renegotiate contracts with a player who does not report or just based on one good season.

Again, I'm not sure exactly what the proper numbers should be--I used an average of $ 8.75 million per season, which may be too low for 7 year deal and percentages of that figure for the bonuses and guaranteed money. That's something for the team and Peters' agent to negotiate over--and I'm sure that Parker and Overdorf have a much better idea of what the proper range of numbers should be. But, there is no reason why the Bills cannot find a way to put the money that Peters deserves to get as a top LT this season into his pocket and still protect their position vis-a-vis other players in the future.

I believe that what I am proposing here is one way that they can do that. But, Peters has to report first and Parker has to be creative and flexible enough in his thinking to get that done.

Dozerdog
08-24-2008, 09:01 AM
Is Peter Parker holding out for Clark Kent money?

Come on! He can't even fly or stop a bullet!

He's a lot better than Batman, though

http://static.flickr.com/111/300591171_7f2f102d68_o.jpg

Dozerdog
08-24-2008, 09:02 AM
On a serious note, can you even put a franchise tag on a player already under contract?

clumping platelets
08-24-2008, 09:07 AM
Peters reports..............solved

Mitchy moo
08-24-2008, 09:17 AM
Peters reports..............solved

Simpliest solutions are usually the best.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2008, 09:23 AM
First, the Bills have to stick by their position that they will not begin renegotiating a contract extension with Peters until he reports. But, that does not mean that they cannot let Eugene Parker know that they will give Peters a new deal if he does, in fact, report and play this season.

Second, the Bills cannot cave in on their insistence that Peters play under his current contract this season or they will leave the team open to having any player who has a great season in the future come back and demand a new contract. But, that does not mean that the Bills cannot put the kind of money that Peters wants (and deserves) for playing this season in his pocket.

BINGO. Great Post.

acehole
08-24-2008, 09:24 AM
Has anyone had the theory that he is still injured......

HHURRICANE
08-24-2008, 09:26 AM
Trapezus awesome thread.

Sadly, many can't function in a thread like this becuase they can't rip the poster. They actually have to come up with an original thought.

Mitchy moo
08-24-2008, 09:46 AM
Trapezus awesome thread.

Sadly, many can't function in a thread like this becuase they can't rip the poster. They actually have to come up with an original thought.

Original thoughts are awesome, things gone over 35 times are not.

clumping platelets
08-24-2008, 11:07 AM
On a serious note, can you even put a franchise tag on a player already under contract?

:no:

trapezeus
08-24-2008, 11:32 AM
i don't think they want to franchise him. i think you are just offering franchise money as a compromise. that's what Ltbills fan and i are saying i think

Novacane
08-24-2008, 01:30 PM
I would do just what the Bills are doing. No renegotiating until he reports.