PDA

View Full Version : Larry Felser: Losman’s presence gives Bills good early prognosis

shelby
08-24-2008, 06:44 AM
It's not a tumor...

It’s an old baseball cliche, but it applies to football also: Some of the best trades are the ones that aren’t made.
The wisdom of the Buffalo Bills’ decision not to make a foolish trade involving J. P. Losman at the time of the college draft in April was borne out last week when starting quarterback Trent Edwards suffered a deep thigh bruise in a collision with running back Marshawn Lynch near the end of a practice session. Edwards will miss to-night’s preseason game.
Dick Jauron delivered the usual coach’s prognosis of an injury like the one suffered by Edwards. I’m a skeptic when any coach talks about injuries involving his key players. Coaches’ diagnoses are usually one part optimism and another part subterfuge.
The Bills have one more preseason game after tonight. In any case the final exhibition is usually a “don’t-get-hurt” game. I doubt if we will see Edwards in uniform until the opening game here in 14 days, if then. The opponent will be the Seattle Seahawks, who have the fastest defense in the NFL, a unit that allowed only 15 touchdown passes a year ago and dogs enemy quarterbacks relentlessly.
Deep thigh bruises don’t usually heal quickly. The Bills cannot afford to have Edwards playing at anything less than 100 percent. Seattle’s left defensive end is Patrick Kerney, who led the NFC in sacks last season with 14z. Kerney has a reputation for performing like a buzz saw on every play.

full story (http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/422015.html)

Novacane
08-24-2008, 07:49 AM
Edwards will be ready week 1 Larry.

Yasgur's Farm
08-24-2008, 07:50 AM
Good read Shelby.

Having a neophyte backup quarterback in this situation would be an instant disaster for the Bills. Having the experienced Losman, respected and considered a good teammate by the rest of the players, gives his team a chance to escape a negative start to the season. His natural speed and escapability against such a tough defense increases that chance.Interesting statement.

mayotm
08-24-2008, 07:51 AM
Good read Shelby.
Interesting statement.More like a senile statement. Edwards will be starting week 1.

lordofgun
08-24-2008, 07:55 AM
Terrible article. What makes anyone thing Losman would be a decent starter if Edwards goes down? I'd almost rather have Hamdan or whoever get a start or two.

mayotm
08-24-2008, 08:01 AM
Terrible article. What makes anyone thing Losman would be a decent starter if Edwards goes down? I'd almost rather have Hamdan or whoever get a start or two.I don't agree with that. I think Losman is a serviceable backup.

Yasgur's Farm
08-24-2008, 08:06 AM
http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/LE/quad_contusions.htm

A quadriceps contusion can vary from a mild bruise to a severe bruise with a deep hematoma (blood pool) that may take months to heel.Not to be a dick... But Felser doesn't seem to be senile according to this potential prognosis.

Let's just hope he's wrong!

lordofgun
08-24-2008, 08:07 AM
I don't agree with that. I think Losman is a serviceable backup.
I'd hardly call Losman starting a "good early prognosis."

mayotm
08-24-2008, 08:09 AM
I'd hardly call Losman starting a "good early prognosis."You missed my point. I don't agree with you're statement about Losman's ability to be the backup. I do agree that the article was horrible.

mayotm
08-24-2008, 08:12 AM
http://www.athleticadvisor.com/Injuries/LE/quad_contusions.htm

Not to be a dick... But Felser doesn't seem to be senile according to this potential prognosis.

Let's just hope he's wrong!Sorry, but it's insane to suggest that Edwards could miss months due to a thigh bruise. He would be playing today if it was a regular season game. He will be the starter Week 1. Period.

lordofgun
08-24-2008, 08:12 AM
You missed my point. I don't agree with you're statement about Losman's ability to be the backup. I do agree that the article was horrible.
Oh, I agree that he's fine as the #2 QB. It's when he actually has to play that I get concerned.

mayotm
08-24-2008, 08:16 AM
Oh, I agree that he's fine as the #2 QB. It's when he actually has to play that I get concerned.Take a look at some of the #2's for the rest of the league. It may make you feel somewhat better. In a pinch, Losman could win a few games. Well, at least a few home games against average opponents. Some teams have backups that they can't win with in any circumstance.

YardRat
08-24-2008, 08:25 AM
As long as the guy doesn't screw things up when he does have to take the field. Still, the team would've been smarter to unload JP and bring in an older vet for instances like this.

TacklingDummy
08-24-2008, 08:39 AM
The wisdom of the Buffalo Bills’ decision not to make a foolish trade involving J. P. Losman at the time of the college draft in April

Hard to trade someone that no one wanted.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2008, 09:41 AM
Losman couldn't garner a trade. Period. I actually like Felser but acting like the Bills made a good decision is a joke. They had nothing to do with Losman staying on the roster unless they debated cutting him.

However, we have Losman as the #2 QB. If the Bills were smart they should use his strengths and roll him out of the pocket on every play and give him the ability to run or hit players in the flat. This is what he did in college and this is really where his strength lies.

If they are serious about having him as #2 than roll him out of the pocket.

Yasgur's Farm
08-24-2008, 09:50 AM
Play action, roll outs and audibles are the key to play into JP's strengths. If there is a situation where JP has to start a few games, I hope Turk's no where near as stubborn as Fairchild was... For the sake of us fans.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2008, 09:55 AM
Play action, roll outs and audibles are the key to play into JP's strengths. If there is a situation where JP has to start a few games, I hope Turk's no where near as stubborn as Fairchild was... For the sake of us fans.

Totally agree.

ddaryl
08-24-2008, 10:25 AM
Edwards is the started there is no denying htat. He just sees the field and reads D's quicker

TacklingDummy
08-24-2008, 12:47 PM
Play action, roll outs and audibles are the key to play into JP's strengths.

The problem with roll outs is they can't do it all the time. It's easy to defend.

And to be able to call an audible JP must first be able to read the defense. Something that JP struggles the most with.

Play action only works when D's respect the run and pass. No one respects the Bills pass game and the opposing D plays to stop the run to make the Bills beat them with the pass game.

djjimkelly
08-24-2008, 12:55 PM
Play action only works when D's respect the run and pass. No one respects the Bills pass game and the opposing D plays to stop the run to make the Bills beat them with the pass game.

that sort of doesnt make sense what you wrote TD but its all good

just waiting for the controversy to begin regardless.

acehole
08-24-2008, 01:12 PM
Terrible article. What makes anyone thing Losman would be a decent starter if Edwards goes down? I'd almost rather have Hamdan or whoever get a start or two.

Well minus the injuries this team and 2007 Bills are night and day personel wise and the coordinater seem night and day.

I for one think he would do better as he did in 2006...we wont know this week as we are back to square two with the injuries...

TacklingDummy
08-24-2008, 01:23 PM
Well minus the injuries this team and 2007 Bills are night and day personel wise and the coordinater seem night and day.

Turk will suck just like Fairchild and Mularkey if the Bills offense continues to suck.

gr8slayer
08-24-2008, 01:27 PM
Oh, I agree that he's fine as the #2 QB. It's when he actually has to play that I get concerned.
I share those same concerns when Edwards starts too. Personally, I don't have too much faith in either yet.