PDA

View Full Version : I went to the Jags/Bucs game last night

Coach Sal
08-24-2008, 10:06 AM
I went to the Jacksonville @ Tampa game Saturday night. Great seats - about the 30-yard line, 15 rows up.

Since the Jags are the Bills week 2 opponent, I thought I'd take the opportunity to "scout" the Jags a little bit.

I know it's still a few weeks away, but since it's fresh in my mind, I thought I'd post some thoughts now:

--I'm not saying Marcus Stroud isn't good, because he's going to be for the Bills. But now I can understand why the Jags were willing to part with him. Even without him, they are incredible between the tackles against the run. John Henderson is a beast of a man. But Rob Meier and the rest of his fellow interior DL mates are very good, too.

--All that being said, I can see now why they "reached" and traded up to grab Derrick Harvey at DE. Their ends are the weakness of their defense. If you can beat the penetration up the middle and get to the edge, then you can run on them. Also, they have to rely more on the interior DL and their LBs to get a good pass rush.

Harvey is still not signed, by the way. Even if he is soon, he probably won't be a factor by week 2. But, let's hope he's still not on the field by then, because as it stands now, I think the Bills ca take advantage of them there.

--Fred Taylor is un-freaking-believable! I can't believe how good he still is after 10 years. He looked like a rook figting for a job. Fast, elusive, powerful, and never, ever stops his legs moving forward. Very impressive.

--Matt Jones wasn't just arrested on a coke charge this offseason....he LOOKS like a crack addict. Seriously, this dude is an NFL wide receiver? Looks like a stiff wind will blow him over. He looks more like that skinny basketball coach at your local YMCA league. You know the one who never went inside the paint even though he was the tallest guy on the floor? Yeah, that's Matt Jones.

--Overall, the Jags WRs are, well....ok. Not great. Not bad. They're ok. They have a lot of guys who can run decent routes and catch the ball. But they have nobody who I'd call a #1 NFL wideout. They have no "go-to" guy. But they are good at running after the catch.

The Bills DBs have caught a good break with the Seahawks and Jags WR situations in weeks 1 and 2. If guys like Reggie Corner and/or McKelvin have to play those games, they should be able to handle themselves ok. But they'll have to tackle well.

--The Jags play a TON of cover-2. Not necessarily the "Tampa-2," but they keep two safeties deep almost every play. You can do that when your DL is so good you don't have to commit anyone else to the box. Those safeties, however, are always at least 12, usually 15 yards deep. Probably because their safeties are very athletic and can still close very well. But, that being said, the Bills HAVE to be able to take advantage of the underneath routes when they play at Jacksonville.

--David Garrard is a steady QB. Makes very few mistakes.

--The Jags like to pull their guards a lot and run sort of a "wing-T" sweep around the edges. Their OL is big but moves well.

--Jacksonville's kick coverage team is very, very fast and very, very physical. Almost every kick off resulted in a huge hit and not much yardage gained. I also noticed how well coached their special teams were. They were ready to go, got on the field, and did their job without a hitch.

Not that it matters much, but quick hits on the Bucs:

--I'm a big fan of Jeff Garcia, but he was awful.
--K Matt Bryant sucked.
--Brian Griese looked very good.....again.

Jan Reimers
08-24-2008, 10:35 AM
I guess there was a reason we didn't draft Matt Jones a few years ago, even though some people thought he was the second coming of Randy Moss.

Mitchy moo
08-24-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm going to the jags game, week 2. We are going to skin that cat.

HHURRICANE
08-24-2008, 10:46 AM
Sal, love the contribution.

If you had to pick a winner in our game with Jax who would it be? I've penciled in a loss here. But I think we will rebound nicely with the Raiders and Cards.

shelby
08-24-2008, 11:09 AM
Jax is tough. i'd need to see a lot of improvement, especially with our O, before i believe we can beat them.

Thanks for the great writeup, Coach.

Coach Sal
08-24-2008, 11:41 AM
Sal, love the contribution.

If you had to pick a winner in our game with Jax who would it be? I've penciled in a loss here. But I think we will rebound nicely with the Raiders and Cards.

As it stands right now, I'd be damn impressed if we were able to beat them in three weeks....in their home opener.

It's do-able. But the Bills would have to play virually mistake-free football on both sides of the ball to get that W.

I hope I'm wrong, of course. But I was a lot more impressed with them than I thought I'd be.

Night Train
08-24-2008, 11:51 AM
Great job, Sal :bf1:

njsue
08-24-2008, 12:24 PM
Great job Coach. :up:

Jags week 2 after seeing them last year makes me :nervous:

The Bills Oline better be on their game 110%.

njsue
08-24-2008, 12:25 PM
I'm going to the jags game, week 2. We are going to skin that cat.

Thank you for representing! :up:

tampabay25690
08-24-2008, 05:30 PM
SAL
I was at the game as well....Sat on the 40 behind the JAGS in the Club....

JAX really put it to TAMPA fast in this game and I agree with you about there interior Defense....THERE SICK.....As some of you know JAX is my pick for the Super Bowl for the AFC team.....I WILL be a the game.......

I really don't see a weakness on the team but WR, but they are so well balanced that I don't think it makes a huge difference.....I think DEL Rio is a very under rated coach and I like what he has done with the team........

You are right GARCIA looked absolutely terrible for the BUCS........
It will be interesting to see what GRUDEN soes there with his 5 QB'S.....

In the game at JAX that is a very tuff spot for the BILLS at JAX 90 degrees and there home opener. I do remember a few yrs back we played there same time and we beat them.......I do see JAX winning this game though........