• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dr. Lecter
    Zero for Zero!
    • Mar 2003

Some things I noticed

In no particular order:

1. Duke Preston has been playing often at center even with the starters. He has looked better than Fowler and appears to be a much better center than guard. Could he replace Fowler and actually play well?

2. JP looked poised and confidant? Playing smart and avoiding sacks? I hope he can keep it up. If he had done this last year, TE would not be starting.

3. I love this defense. One score allowed and that was after a classic rookie mistake by Leodis. They appear to opportunistic and run like to the ball. Fewell drilling the idea of always taking the ball to the EZ was evident with McGee's play. And the players appear to have really worked on the tip drill.

4. Bell might be a keeper. I really don't want him to start, but he has talent. Chambers looks much better too. That being said, I hope the dumbass gets in camp. The talk that he will not be here for the opener pisses me off.

5. Schonert mixes up plays, formations and schemes 100000X better than Fairchild ever did. I like his aggression. 10 yard passes on 3rd and 2? Good! Keep the defense on its heels.

6. The STs looks like it might be missing Stamer, Hagan, Wire, etc. I hope they pick it up.
    Originally posted by mysticsoto
    Lecter is right in everything he said.
  • HHURRICANE
    • Mar 2005

Re: Some things I noticed

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
    In no particular order:

1. Duke Preston has been playing often at center even with the starters. He has looked better than Fowler and appears to be a much better center than guard. Could he replace Fowler and actually play well?

2. JP looked poised and confidant? Playing smart and avoiding sacks? I hope he can keep it up. If he had done this last year, TE would not be starting.

3. I love this defense. One score allowed and that was after a classic rookie mistake by Leodis. They appear to opportunistic and run like to the ball. Fewell drilling the idea of always taking the ball to the EZ was evident with McGee's play. And the players appear to have really worked on the tip drill.

4. Bell might be a keeper. I really don't want him to start, but he has talent. Chambers looks much better too. That being said, I hope the dumbass gets in camp. The talk that he will not be here for the opener pisses me off.

5. Schonert mixes up plays, formations and schemes 100000X better than Fairchild ever did. I like his aggression. 10 yard passes on 3rd and 2? Good! Keep the defense on its heels.

6. The STs looks like it might be missing Stamer, Hagan, Wire, etc. I hope they pick it up.
    Great post. I agree with everything!!

Comment

• Lexwhat
      • Feb 2005

Good points, agree on all.

I would like to see Preston starting over Fowler (Fowler should not be cut though). There's no reason for us to cut any veteran lineman when the depth is already so thin.

Comment

• Mitchell55
        only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
        • Feb 2008

In no particular order:

1. Duke Preston has been playing often at center even with the starters. He has looked better than Fowler and appears to be a much better center than guard. Could he replace Fowler and actually play well? AGREE. IM GETTING EXCITED TO

2. JP looked poised and confidant? Playing smart and avoiding sacks? I hope he can keep it up. If he had done this last year, TE would not be starting. Still like TE better. But you defintley right about JP

3. I love this defense. One score allowed and that was after a classic rookie mistake by Leodis. They appear to opportunistic and run like to the ball. Fewell drilling the idea of always taking the ball to the EZ was evident with McGee's play. And the players appear to have really worked on the tip drill. Leodis was actually not a bad mistake. He just missed it completely.

4. Bell might be a keeper. I really don't want him to start, but he has talent. Chambers looks much better too. That being said, I hope the dumbass gets in camp. The talk that he will not be here for the opener pisses me off. 100% true. But, who ever thought that Karl Malone would produce a OL?

5. Schonert mixes up plays, formations and schemes 100000X better than Fairchild ever did. I like his aggression. 10 yard passes on 3rd and 2? Good! Keep the defense on its heels. 100%

6. The STs looks like it might be missing Stamer, Hagan, Wire, etc. I hope they pick it up. Agree, but we didnt see them that often with all the turnovers TOP, and the defense making sure there wasnt any score.

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
          Zero for Zero!
          • Mar 2003

Originally posted by Lexwhat
          Good points, agree on all.

I would like to see Preston starting over Fowler (Fowler should not be cut though). There's no reason for us to cut any veteran lineman when the depth is already so thin.
          Let Whittle be the back-up and use the roster spot for a youg guy like Bell or Gaddis.
          Originally posted by mysticsoto
          Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• TigerJ
            • Jul 2002

Agreed on much of what you said, Dr. Lecter
            I've made up my mind. Don't confuse me with the facts.

I'm the most reasonable poster here. If you don't agree, I'll be forced to have a hissy fit.

Comment

• Oaf
              Do you read what you write?
              • Jun 2007

All the rest is pretty much agreeable but this point I strongly disagree with. If you could please point to some instances where Preston looked better than Fowler, I'd greatly appreciate it. I TiVo'd the game and can point out the plays he alone killed if you want. He'll looked awful by my account and I'd have to state an emphatic NOto your question.

Comment

• baalworship
                • May 2003

Bell will make the team.

Comment

• evol4276
                  • Oct 2005

my input:

darian barnes, god damn. special teams or not, i like his on-the-field enthusiasm. i really hope he can become a good blocker because he is a freaking beast.

our cb's are making it really hard on the staff to cut someone. every cornerback has made some sort of big play during the preseason, as they should. I.E. Youboty has been off point here and there, but has seemed like he's been there to at least make tackles more often than not (like he's allowed catches, but doesnt let them get far past him usually). Plus the 2 picks so far. Leodis, i think tonite, made a great decision on that 94-yard td. he just was like .2 seconds too early, otherwise that wulda been one of the plays of the game the other way (int or not).

also, our rb's are looking good. lynch, beast. jackson, off and on but still good. Omon, suprisingly consistant. Wright, consistantly effective, but fumbles way too damn much. the other rb (who's name i cannot recall due to Samual Adams), bye bye.

3rd string qb's, who the hell knows. when both qb's were used at #4, neither really were asked to do anything other than hand off. I think Gibril played good-ish tonite, tho.

special teams: yes please. dont think jackson is the answer there, but hell we have what, 3 different options?

we still need a pass rush. hopefully Stroud kicks it in come season-play.

offense. MUCH MUCH better. execution-wise AND diversity-wise. I like it. Our offensive line has been decently and suprisingly well so far too, compensating for not having Peters.

cant really think of anything else right now. k gn lol

Comment

• jimbohastle51
                    All-Pro Zoner
                    • Feb 2005

i think the punt and kick returning should be left to parrish and mckelvin mcgee is way too important to risk at the CB position and the way our offense is and now that we have got a good idea of how it will look, ole fred jackson is poised to at least get enough chances to have a big year so we cant afford to loose our 2 headed monster because of a silly injury returning kicks he is too important to our offense. i see our running backs as 1)marshawn lynch and 1b)fred jackson. he is much more than a backup and we need to keep him around. garantee if he hits free agency after the season he will be soaked up QUICK! having 2 running backs that can be as dynamic at the run and catch and make big plays is something not alot of teams have in the NFL, i can only think of 5 or 6 teams with a 1-2 punch like ours.

Comment

• Historian
                      2020-2023 AFC East Champions!
                      • Dec 2002

In no particular order:

Could be.

He always looked good in the preseason

I'm not going to take back all the good things he did because he got burned on one play. His play has matured exponentially. And I like the aggressiveness too. Let's at least go down swinging.

This whole situation is Peter's agent taking advantage of Brandon's inexperience.

The second coming of Sam Wyche!

I was thinking the same thing, specifically about Stamer, as I saw him playing for the Skins last week. I trust April will make steak out of hamburger.

Comment

Working...
                      X