PDA

View Full Version : Postgame comments

OpIv37
08-24-2008, 10:02 PM
Offense:
- For the second week in a row, the O moved the ball and got a red zone score. They even had an insane 10 minute drive against most of the Colts' starting D. Granted, it's just preseason, but the O is showing glimpses of competence for the first time in ages. It's good to see.

-The O ran the ball better from the spread sets than it did from the power sets.

-Chambers actually held his own pass-blocking.

-Bell gave up a sack with the 2nd string but did well with the first string and recovered a fumble.

-Despite Losman's success moving the ball, he STILL lacks accuracy on short passes. He can't lead a receiver and almost got Lynch killed.

-In Losman's defense, he did seem to have more poise and seemed to be better at reading D's.

-I've seen enough of Dwayne Wright- cut him. Omon can take his place. Hell, even Bruce Hall outplayed him tonight.

Defense:
-No one on the first team really stood out to me- it was a complete team effort. Granted, the Hefty Lefty didn't provide a lot of competition but they did exactly what they should do against a 3rd stringer: completely shut him down.

-Kyle Williams seems to be playing better, which is good because McCargo did nothing (and he only played against 2nd and 3rd stingers).

-Overall, the D did a great job creating turnovers.

-McKelvin had an awful game on D and ST and is still raw.

S/T
- As a Notre Dame fan, it was good to see DJ Fitzpatrick have a decent game for the first time ever. It's irrelevant though- he won't make the team.

-Lindell was good, punt coverage was good

-the return game was sub-par.

Coaching:
-in typical Jauron fashion, we used a time out early in the half.

-Last year, the Bills were terrible at the 2:00 drill, and the ultra-conservative Jauron passed up an opportunity to run it with 1:12 and 2 time outs left in the first half. Pathetic. In a real game it would have been the right call in that situation, but there is no excuse to not practice the drill in preseason.

-the offensive playcalling was a lot more creative and less predictable. However, for some reason, Schonert kept and used the patented Steve Fairchild "WR screen with no blockers" play. WTF?

-props to Fewell for having everyone on D ready to play tonight.

Conclusion:
The O has shown signs of confidence for two consecutive weeks, even without Peters (or even Edwards this week). The D looked good for the first time so far, but it was against a 3rd string QB who wasn't planning on starting. I'm satisfied with the overall performance though. The starters showed up on both sides of the ball and put in a solid, productive effort.

Mitchy moo
08-24-2008, 10:05 PM
:guitar:

FlyingDutchman
08-24-2008, 10:11 PM
Agree on everything. I wouldnt go as far to say Mckelvin looked awful, not great by any means, but not awful. He definately got scortched on that long ball, but he had some decent coverage some other times. That long ball looked to be more of a mis timed jump. Hes definately still raw, but he sure looks like he can turn into something special.

TigerJ
08-24-2008, 10:28 PM
McKelvin makes the team by virtue of being a first round draft pick. I think he's going to be OK. He's making some rookie mistakes, but if he learns from them, he could be better for it.

Tatonka
08-24-2008, 10:33 PM
all mckelvin did was jump too soon on one play.. other than that, he was fine.

OpIv37
08-24-2008, 10:41 PM
all mckelvin did was jump too soon on one play.. other than that, he was fine.

he botched his only kickoff return too.

The only other play he was really involved in was the good coverage he had in the endzone. That makes him 1 for 3.

BTW, that one "jump too soon" led to a 94 yard TD. It was a common rookie mistake, but it had disastrous consequences (or it would have been disastrous had this been a real game and not just preseason).

Let's just hope he learns from it so it doesn't happen again.

patmoran2006
08-24-2008, 10:50 PM
My postgame comments is we've looked good in back to back week against two of the better teams in the AFC.

Preseason or not, that's a very good sign.

mysticsoto
08-24-2008, 10:59 PM
No, I'll agree with Op. I too thought McKelvin looked awful. He misjumped and allowed the only TD/score for the Colts. Wilson gets part of that blame also though. For the 2nd week in a row, he allowed someone to get behind him which is unpardonable. On the other hand, when McKelvin was playing with the Colts scrubs, he had a chance at an interception on a long ball, and instead chose to block out the other WR. If you have a chance to get the ball, you go after it and catch it. Period! Corner outplayed McKelvin and even had a nice interception!

Oaf
08-24-2008, 11:44 PM
Duke Preston singlehandedly killed two promising running plays, both on BAD whiffs. He is. Awful. I don't care how versatile or experienced he is, I want him cut. Where's Whittle at?
Butler killed one run play. Bell looked nice. Dockery had an exceptional game. If Walker is ok, I am comfortable with him at LT for the long haul. Chambers did what he had to do.

The WRs surprisingly held there own and more until the backups came in. I'm disappointed that Johnson hasn't distinguished himself. At this point, I would go 6 DBs (Youboty and James make it), PS Johnson and keep Jenkins as #5.

More tomorrow maybe.

njsue
08-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Melvin Fowler getting pushed back on his rear. :mad:

Ashton Youboty made a terrific play. :up:

BlackMetalNinja
08-25-2008, 06:48 AM
Pretty much agree all around again Op. I too was annoyed at the lack of an attempt to run the 2 minute drill before halftime, isn't that exactly what preseason is for??? Also agree on McCargo, could that guy be any more hit or miss? He is either in the backfield busting stuff up or you completely forget he's even on the team!

OpIv37
08-25-2008, 07:07 AM
Melvin Fowler getting pushed back on his rear. :mad:

Ashton Youboty made a terrific play. :up:

I forgot to mention Youboty. So far in preseason, he's looked great playing against the other teams' 2nd and 3rd stringers, and mediocre playing against the other teams' starters. But he has been improving and is probably worth keeping at this point.