PDA

View Full Version : I'm growing more optimistic about offensive tackle

TigerJ
08-24-2008, 10:45 PM
Yes, I want to see Jason Peters back, but I think some good things are happening with the chemistry of the offensive line. When it looked like Walker hurt his forearm, I worried like everyone about how thin the Bills are at OT, but Bell held up remarkably well considering how inexperienced he is. They say he is very bright and once he learns something it stays learned. Kirk Chambers is even looking good at right tackle. He doesn't have the feet to play left tackle, but supposedly he is very strong. Walker isn't hurt badly, so maybe if the situation with Peters doesn't get resolved, the Bills' offense might just be able to succeed this season.

TacklingDummy
08-24-2008, 10:47 PM
At this point would Peters really help the Bills week 1?

patmoran2006
08-24-2008, 10:48 PM
I still don't trust Chambers over a full four quarters of action in a game a single ounce.

He's a backup, not a starter.

Romes
08-24-2008, 10:50 PM
Peters is losing more and more leverage each passing game. He should do the smart thing now and show up.

The Spaz
08-24-2008, 11:37 PM
At this point would Peters really help the Bills week 1?

Is this a trick question?

TacklingDummy
08-25-2008, 12:54 AM
Is this a trick question?

He could be out of shape, he certainly is not ready to play if the season started next week, and who knows about the injury.

camelcowboy
08-25-2008, 12:59 AM
Peters is losing more and more leverage each passing game. He should do the smart thing now and show up.
He was a negative xray from having the bills by the balls. So it's a sliding scale

TigerJ
08-25-2008, 09:24 AM
At this point would Peters really help the Bills week 1?Whether or not he would be a help in week one, the Bills are better over the course of the season with Peters manning the left tackle spot than just about anyone else in the league.

The Spaz
08-25-2008, 09:28 AM
I was really happy with Bell. There were probably times he did screw up but I didn't see him get pushed around or beat. He definitely has potential.

Philagape
08-25-2008, 09:37 AM
The real test is week one against the Seahawks, who were fourth in the league in sacks last year. They don't get the benefit of the doubt until they pass that test.

Night Train
08-25-2008, 09:39 AM
I still want Peters back but believe he's the problem in this holdout, not the Bills.

A waiver claim of a Vet OT being pushed out by a high pick would be prudent.

Tatonka
08-25-2008, 09:51 AM
I still don't trust Chambers over a full four quarters of action in a game a single ounce.

He's a backup, not a starter.

you also had zero good things to say about langston walker when we signed him.. as a matter of fact, you probably said the same exact thing about him last season before it started.. that walker was awful. he sucked in oakland.. he will never be a good player for use.. ect..

justasportsfan
08-25-2008, 09:54 AM
I'm worried. Don't know if these guys can handle every snap week in and week out facing top DE's.

Ickybaluky
08-25-2008, 11:54 AM
You are crazy.

Preseason games are nothing like real NFL games. They are practice, nothing more. You can't judge the OL off the preseason.

Peters in the best player the Bills have. To think he won't be missed is sticking your head in the sand.

TigerJ
08-25-2008, 09:55 PM
You are crazy.

Preseason games are nothing like real NFL games. They are practice, nothing more. You can't judge the OL off the preseason.

Peters in the best player the Bills have. To think he won't be missed is sticking your head in the sand.So, did anyone in this thread say that Peters' return wouldn't help the Bills or that they aren't better with him than without him? When I say that I'm becoming more optimistic, I am not saying I don't want him back. I'm saying that just maybe the season won't be a complete disaster without him if he continues his holdout.

yordad
08-25-2008, 10:17 PM
Imagine if Chambers or Walker got a significant injury.

The Spaz
08-25-2008, 10:32 PM
Imagine if Chambers or Walker got a significant injury.

:drama:

PECKERWOOD
08-25-2008, 10:50 PM
The Bills nullified the weakness on the left side of the line by keeping the DEs and LBs honest. We ran the football straight at their DEs ALL game long. We made THEM choose whether or not they were going to go after the QB or the RB that play. I really loved how in Turk Schonert's offense he utilizes the draw and screen plays like a GENIUS. We are going to make blood hungry, over zealous, blitzkrieg defenses PAY for attacking our QB!! I expect a MONSTER year out of Marshawn Lynch.

X-Era
08-26-2008, 06:17 AM
Yes, I want to see Jason Peters back, but I think some good things are happening with the chemistry of the offensive line. When it looked like Walker hurt his forearm, I worried like everyone about how thin the Bills are at OT, but Bell held up remarkably well considering how inexperienced he is. They say he is very bright and once he learns something it stays learned. Kirk Chambers is even looking good at right tackle. He doesn't have the feet to play left tackle, but supposedly he is very strong. Walker isn't hurt badly, so maybe if the situation with Peters doesn't get resolved, the Bills' offense might just be able to succeed this season.

And then, trading a pro-bowl LT for a player who can help now makes even more sense if you feel we don't need Peters.

TigerJ
08-26-2008, 08:56 AM
And then, trading a pro-bowl LT for a player who can help now makes even more sense if you feel we don't need Peters.Well, he's certainly worth more to the Bills in a trade than holding out. It would have to be the right trade, and that trade might be difficult to pull off. The team with whom the Bills trade has to be willing to negotiate with a player who's holding out.

I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say Buffalo doesn't need Peters. Langston Walker is still a better right tackle than left tackle. Even if Kirk Chambers is improving, I'd still be more comfortable with him as a depth player than a starter, and Bell is at least a year away from the point where I'd be comfortable with him playing any length of time against a top flight defensive end. But Peters isn't playing, Buffalo is not going to negotiate with him while he lods out and it looks like Peters is going to sit out better than half the season. So I guess a trade is preferable to all that happening.

baalworship
08-26-2008, 09:43 AM
I agree that we haven't dropped off as much in the passing game. My biggest concern is I was really excited about Peters stepping up and becomng a GREAT RUN BLOCKER. We also weaken RT where Walker already was doing a decent job there last year.

This could be a blessing in disguise. Maybe Schonert will be forced into opening up the offense with 3-4 WR spread and bunch formations because that is what we can do. Once we get Peters back and we have won games like this maybe Jauron won't be able to get this passing offense back in the bottle.