PDA

View Full Version : Marv, where are you when the Bills need you?

ghz in pittsburgh
08-25-2008, 11:26 AM
There is little doubt to me that Wilson plays a role in Peters contract situation. Like everyone else, he probably felt the Bills "made" Peters and the Bills probably told Peters a new contract is in line in 2009 should he do well again this year. It's now almost a pride thing, especially Peters is likely to miss a regular season game, even if he reports today.

Looking back to Schobel's new contract. there was a hint of problems when Kelsay signed that big contract (a must sign at the time determined by Bills gurus then), but it was quickly resolved. Marv was at the helm at that time.

Look, Marv is not so much an X and O guys ever. His biggest strength is knowing the big picture and is really good at conveying it to people (i.e. handling people). I know he does not do contracts, but he has a way to convince people, especially at individual level, on directions. Marv may or may not talk sense into the green blind agents, but he sure can talk to players, and players are the ultimate deciders on contracts. The Donahoe regime tried in vain to get Peters signed, whereas Marv was able to sign him to a 5 year deal.

I think if Marv is still the GM, he may handle the situation a lot better. I don't know Brandon. But I'm sure Marv will have Ralph's ear for new ideas and suggestions. I don't know if he can be of any help now because he does not have any real title with the organization.

HHURRICANE
08-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Maybe if Marv doesn't give Schobel his stupid contract the Peters problem never happens.

RedEyE
08-25-2008, 11:40 AM
Why do we continue to beat this thing up?

The Bills recognized Peters a couple years back giving him more money based on performance, and Peters inevitably agreed to sign the contract. He's contracted for 3 more years under the terms that HE agreed to.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He need not look any further then his agent or himself for answers to his current rate of pay. He signed the legally binding contract and therfore he needs to play it out.

I can see a increase awarded next year by the Bills FO if he plays well again this season, but for Peters to expect something this year is asinine.

And let's look at it from the Bills perspective....

If they do give Peters a new multi-million dollar contract this year, without him even bothering to show up for camp, then the Bills can surely expect future players to make demands the same way. This idea, could even bleed into the rest of the NFL.

The Bills have to hold their ground and Peters needs to adjust his attitude, check himself and get back to playing football. He's already down 500K. time to make decisions on his part.

Lexwhat
08-25-2008, 12:07 PM
There is little doubt to me that Wilson plays a role in Peters contract situation. Like everyone else, he probably felt the Bills "made" Peters and the Bills probably told Peters a new contract is in line in 2009 should he do well again this year. It's now almost a pride thing, especially Peters is likely to miss a regular season game, even if he reports today.

Looking back to Schobel's new contract. there was a hint of problems when Kelsay signed that big contract (a must sign at the time determined by Bills gurus then), but it was quickly resolved. Marv was at the helm at that time.

Look, Marv is not so much an X and O guys ever. His biggest strength is knowing the big picture and is really good at conveying it to people (i.e. handling people). I know he does not do contracts, but he has a way to convince people, especially at individual level, on directions. Marv may or may not talk sense into the green blind agents, but he sure can talk to players, and players are the ultimate deciders on contracts. The Donahoe regime tried in vain to get Peters signed, whereas Marv was able to sign him to a 5 year deal.

I think if Marv is still the GM, he may handle the situation a lot better. I don't know Brandon. But I'm sure Marv will have Ralph's ear for new ideas and suggestions. I don't know if he can be of any help now because he does not have any real title with the organization.

Nice post.

Russ Brandon is a rookie, at least as far as being a "GM" goes. He may know how to draft, but that doesn't mean he can handle the business side of things.

I imagine the Patriots, Dolphins, Jets are all laughing at us right now and the way we are handling the situation. We will miss the playoffs without Peters in the lineup.

Lexwhat
08-25-2008, 12:10 PM
Why do we continue to beat this thing up?

The Bills recognized Peters a couple years back giving him more money based on performance, and Peters inevitably agreed to sign the contract. He's contracted for 3 more years under the terms that HE agreed to.

I have no sympathy for the guy. He need not look any further then his agent or himself for answers to his current rate of pay. He signed the legally binding contract and therfore he needs to play it out.

I can see a increase awarded next year by the Bills FO if he plays well again this season, but for Peters to expect something this year is asinine.

And let's look at it from the Bills perspective....

If they do give Peters a new multi-million dollar contract this year, without him even bothering to show up for camp, then the Bills can surely expect future players to make demands the same way. This idea, could even bleed into the rest of the NFL.

The Bills have to hold their ground and Peters needs to adjust his attitude, check himself and get back to playing football. He's already down 500K. time to make decisions on his part.

I also give no sympathy to Peters, but I'm most worried about our playoff chances this year.

Also, you should be more accurate. The only thing Peters "NEEDS" to do is show up in Week 10 for the next 3 years. That's only a handful of games.