PDA

View Full Version : Jason Peters teammates turning on him?

theanswer74
08-26-2008, 11:38 AM
Sentiment in the Buffalo Bills' locker room already has begun to turn away from truant left tackle Jason Peters, who surely deserves more money but is exhausting the patience of those who should be supporting him most.

The players are reconciling with the fact that, barring some dramatic development, Peters won't be showing up soon.

At least two prominent members of Buffalo's offense -- players who preferred to remain unidentified -- now wonder how much Peters will be able to contribute even if he does show up.

Many Bills expected Peters would report to the team after their second preseason game on Aug. 14 or when they broke training camp at St. John Fisher College last week.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-2-140/Peters-holdout-lacks-a-cheering-section.html?bId=0&archiveId=2&username=afceast&entryId=140&sort=oldest

ddaryl
08-26-2008, 11:42 AM
Peters ain't making many friends... I hope its worth it in the end, but my bet says it won't be.

patmoran2006
08-26-2008, 11:42 AM
knew this was coming soon... This is getting really ugly.
He really needs to wake up.

Romes
08-26-2008, 11:45 AM
Good article.

Its about time someone in the media did some decent investigative work and wrote something like this.

patmoran2006
08-26-2008, 11:47 AM
Good article.

Its about time someone in the media did some decent investigative work and wrote something like this.
yes.

And I can tell you that Tim Graham is about as good as it gets in the media.

cocamide
08-26-2008, 11:54 AM
Besides Peters himself, what do the Bills lose if they don't resign him for the next three years and just let him rot?

trapezeus
08-26-2008, 11:55 AM
it also gives you hope that the bills as a whole won't try this next year even if they outperform and have several years on contract.

I bet Evans is one of those guys complaining about this. because he has come in and done everything he's suppose to do in his contract year, and some other dude is potentially being a distraction to getting his deal done. And he's gone through the bad years and everyone thinks this is the year to make the jump.

Wally The Barber
08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
Come on guys. you would be angry also!

When Practice starts and preseason games are played, money has got to be laid aside.

I have to tell you, this situation is becoming pretty boring!

Jaybird
08-26-2008, 12:01 PM
If he sits out all year we should trade him. Its enough already!!!

He is the best young Lt in the game, his value is off the chart. I would love for him to be starting for the bills. If they can't make it happen this season, trade him around the draft. He is worth a top ten pick, he's proven!!!!!!

don137
08-26-2008, 12:02 PM
Sounds like the consensus is Peters is getting some real bad advice from bonehead Parker.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:03 PM
This is great to hear! I was wondering how long it would take until his fellow teammates starting calling him out. Sure he is underpaid, but he totally handled this the wrong way and he's acting like a selfish *******. Hopefully this kind of stuff will make him realize that he lost and needs to suck it up and come back before he loses his friends for good. If he doesn't come back soon, I could definitely see this ending with Jason Peters going to another team via a trade and struggling a bit because he would be in a new team and new system.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
Sounds like the consensus is Peters is getting some real bad advice from bonehead Parker.
Exactly and many of us have said the same thing! :hi5:

gil
08-26-2008, 12:04 PM
This is the most bizarre holdout ever - this Parker guy is a real piece of work.

ghz in pittsburgh
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
The thing that worries me the most is that Peters carries a reputation for not being a hard worker. I remember reading an Arkansas article on him working out after he went undrafted, saying that money can serve as a great motivator.

I don't know where is Peters motivation now after he got some money.To get a lot more money, he needs to continue the hard work, or some agent may come along promising a big pay day by holding out.

I don't know what kind of shape he is in and truely no one knows because he has not had any contact with the team since January.

There is just something odd about this case. Only Dockery was able to text to him a little. No other contact with anyone else that we know of, former college teamates, other Bills player, position coaches, etc. Most other holdouts, e.g. Steven Jackson, have information coming out one way or the other letting people know their side of story.

My biggest fear is that Peters is no longer the football player that we know of. If that is the case, the Bills can do nothing about it, either.

RedEyE
08-26-2008, 12:07 PM
This is starting to really look like something more than a play for money. I'm wondering if Peters is avoiding a physical for a more specific reason.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:08 PM
This is the most bizarre holdout ever - this Parker guy is a real piece of work.
I could see this either ending in one of two ways....

1. Jason Peters fires Eugene Parker and comes crawling back to the Bills. He apologizes and then they offer him a reporting bonus with a new contract next season.

2. Jason Peters continues listening to that fool Parker and the team has enough of it and trades him by the trade deadline.

The Spaz
08-26-2008, 12:15 PM
it also gives you hope that the bills as a whole won't try this next year even if they outperform and have several years on contract.

I bet Evans is one of those guys complaining about this. because he has come in and done everything he's suppose to do in his contract year, and some other dude is potentially being a distraction to getting his deal done. And he's gone through the bad years and everyone thinks this is the year to make the jump.

Actually Evans isn't complaining and has said the 2 sides have been talking about a contract.:up:

DMBcrew36
08-26-2008, 12:20 PM
Guys like Posluszny are probably secretly annoyed. Guys who show up, bust their asses everyday, and play without worrying about being greedy bastards.

If Peters weren't so arrogant at this point, he would realize that he's hurting his teammates (who are supposed to be his family) more than anything.

yordad
08-26-2008, 12:23 PM
Good article. Dead on, IMO.

"I don't think this makes sense," said one agent who represents a Bills player impacted by Peters' holdout. "Holding out right now is negative in a lot of ways." Who is Lee's agent?

Bottom line...."If Wilson yields here, only 23 players might report to Bills camp next year."

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:38 PM
"If Wilson yields here, only 23 players might report to Bills camp next year."

That right there is the key! There's no way Wilson can give in, it will give the green light for everyone to start holding out for more money. :ill:

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:43 PM
Wow! This article says a lot about how much of an ******* Eugene Parker is being and how Peters is basically getting the worst advice ever.

This quote alone from the article makes me scratch my head....

Not one of the seven agents contacted Monday agreed with the holdout. The most common reasons against it were the Bills' mandate that renegotiations can't open until he reports and the fact Peters has so much time left on his current deal.

"If I was running the team," said one agent with a veteran Bills client, "I can't say I would do anything differently than the Bills are doing. I wouldn't negotiate with Peters. No way."

Seeing how Drew Rosenhaus works with ESPN all the time, how much you want a bet that he was one of the agents that was asked?

justasportsfan
08-26-2008, 12:45 PM
Peters is turning into a ME guy . His teammates need him.

The Spaz
08-26-2008, 12:47 PM
The 7 agents are wrong the Bills are the "evil doers"....lol

Saratoga Slim
08-26-2008, 12:49 PM
What was the most surprising to me is the last paragraph:

"But, to be as fair as possible, ESPN.com phoned several agents to get their opinions on the Peters holdout. Maybe there was something we missed.
Not one of the seven agents contacted Monday agreed with the holdout. The most common reasons against it were the Bills' mandate that renegotiations can't open until he reports and the fact Peters has so much time left on his current deal."

"If I was running the team," said one agent with a veteran Bills client, "I can't say I would do anything differently than the Bills are doing. I wouldn't negotiate with Peters. No way."

I think Parker REALLY misread this situation.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:52 PM
What was the most surprising to me is the last paragraph:

"But, to be as fair as possible, ESPN.com phoned several agents to get their opinions on the Peters holdout. Maybe there was something we missed.
Not one of the seven agents contacted Monday agreed with the holdout. The most common reasons against it were the Bills' mandate that renegotiations can't open until he reports and the fact Peters has so much time left on his current deal."

I think Parker REALLY misread this situation.
Did you notice that Parker isn't the one who got Jason Peters his first contract? He was just hired by Peters recently. It's all about the money and the agent wants to get paid. He's giving bad advice and Peters is listening because he's not that smart.

HotRod
08-26-2008, 12:53 PM
Good article!

theanswer74
08-26-2008, 12:54 PM
Wow! This article says a lot about how much of an ******* Eugene Parker is being and how Peters is basically getting the worst advice ever.

This quote alone from the article makes me scratch my head....

Seeing how Drew Rosenhaus works with ESPN all the time, how much you want a bet that he was one of the agents that was asked?

Could be.

What is so strange is the Bills have talked to Parker since the holdout, he is James Hardy's agent. We obviously got him signed a day or 2 before camp opened.

Maybe Peters just doesnt want to be a Buffalo Bill for some reason.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 12:59 PM
Could be.

What is so strange is the Bills have talked to Parker since the holdout, he is James Hardy's agent. We obviously got him signed a day or 2 before camp opened.

Maybe Peters just doesnt want to be a Buffalo Bill for some reason.
or he is still injured or he is really out of shape.... :idunno:

madness
08-26-2008, 01:01 PM
***Insider Alert!***

Peters, fed up with his agent's lack of progress, has fired Parker and hired an agent he feels that can relate to his side as well as get the money Peters deserves.

Peters new agent, HHURRICANE, has no comment at this time.

yordad
08-26-2008, 01:06 PM
Peters went all Ricky Williams on us!

theanswer74
08-26-2008, 01:09 PM
or he is still injured or he is really out of shape.... :idunno:

I ruled out all that stuff and that he just doesnt want to play because why would he choose to pay a million dollar fine because he got inured in a game or is out of shape.

Maybe he got injured doing something else like Kellen Winslow Jr did, and he doesnt want to risk paying back his bonus money.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 01:29 PM
Maybe he's off doing drugs or something.... :idunno:

justasportsfan
08-26-2008, 01:30 PM
Maybe he's off doing drugs or something.... :idunno:
maybe you are.

don137
08-26-2008, 01:32 PM
The thing is Peters has zero bargaining power. With three years left on his contract with the potential franchise tag Peters is locked up for a while and has zero leverage. Parker is killing his great career.

dasaybz
08-26-2008, 01:40 PM
so, can we all say that Peters is NOT a team player?

Michael82
08-26-2008, 02:06 PM
The thing is Peters has zero bargaining power. With three years left on his contract with the potential franchise tag Peters is locked up for a while and has zero leverage. Parker is killing his great career.
I agree, but don't forget to throw some blame at Peters too. Sure, he's dumber than a bag of rocks, but he is still getting bad advice from a guy he thinks is out to help him.

T-Long
08-26-2008, 02:11 PM
what a piece of ****...I'm tired of waiting for this *****

Stewie
08-26-2008, 02:28 PM
the key for buffalo right now is to somehow let parker and peters save face. It's an important negotiating tactic, and it shouldn't be overlooked. I'm not saying open up negotiations, but there has to be a creative way to let them feel like or look like they got something out of this, so it wasn't just them caving in.

trapezeus
08-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Actually Evans isn't complaining and has said the 2 sides have been talking about a contract.:up:

I meant that Evans must be annoyed with Peters. Because Evans has done everything and in his last year of his contract. I'm sure the peters thing does weigh on the FO mind as they look at the Evans contract. In evans' mind, he has been a good soldier and performed well over the life of his contract. He didn't go to the bills after his breakout season and ask for more.

I would be irritated too if I played within the generally accepted rules and was at my payday, and now another guy is trying to leapfrog ahead of me 3 years in advance.

This peters situation has so many nuances to it. it's annoying. I hope the line play we saw on Sunday night from everyone is indicative of the play we'll get all season.

Ed
08-26-2008, 02:52 PM
I think the fact that the players and even the AGENTS are siding with the Bills right now says it all. Jason Peters is being a total fool. I have no idea what's going through his head right now, but everyone's losing right now including himself.

I found the following passage from the article to be pretty interesting:

Communication between the sides has been so minimal the Bills' front office is merely assuming Peters wants more money. They can't say with 100 percent certainty, but it's a safe bet.

I had no idea that there has been such little communication that it can't even be verified why Peters is holding out. That's the most ******ed thing I've heard to date. So he's refusing to show up, but won't even communicate why? It seems pretty obvious he wants more money, but I still can't believe how flat out stupid Peters is being.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 03:06 PM
the key for buffalo right now is to somehow let parker and peters save face. It's an important negotiating tactic, and it shouldn't be overlooked. I'm not saying open up negotiations, but there has to be a creative way to let them feel like or look like they got something out of this, so it wasn't just them caving in.
I don't know how they can do that without it looking like the team is caving.....

tampabay25690
08-26-2008, 03:08 PM

Thats what it is....

ITS not PETERS its the guy that gets a %%%% of him BUSTING his ASS on the field....

FlyingDutchman
08-26-2008, 03:18 PM
Screw Peters, his agent, and the horse. Im done wasting another minute thinking about this messed up situation. Time to move forward without him!

Michael82
08-26-2008, 03:21 PM
Thats what it is....

ITS not PETERS its the guy that gets a %%%% of him BUSTING his ASS on the field....
and the fact that this guy hasn't gotten anything from Peters before because he is brand new doesn't help.

Nevermind, I just looked it up and apparently Peters is represented by both Eugene Parker and Vincent Taylor.

Bill Brasky
08-26-2008, 03:25 PM
maybe we can convert 1 of our 320 defensive ends to play LT?

Ebenezer
08-26-2008, 03:32 PM
Bottom line...."If Wilson yields here, only 23 players might report to Bills camp next year."

I think I said that three weeks ago but the Peters supporters thought me crazy.

Ebenezer
08-26-2008, 03:34 PM

If other agents are siding with the Bills that tells you a lot.

Ebenezer
08-26-2008, 03:35 PM
It seems pretty obvious he wants more money, but I still can't believe how flat out stupid Peters is being.

Please remember he did have a "Wunderlik" score in the single digits...he might now realize just how bad the advice is.

Michael82
08-26-2008, 03:45 PM
If other agents are siding with the Bills that tells you a lot.
definitely! I wonder if Rosenhaus was one of the agents. He seems to be close to ESPN and all that.

Ebenezer
08-26-2008, 03:51 PM
definitely! I wonder if Rosenhaus was one of the agents. He seems to be close to ESPN and all that.
I don't think that it is relevant. Point is that so many people here just wanted the
Bills to cave and give him Ft. Knox. There is a way of doing business. Look how much of a baffoon Arthur Blank looks like. Pushing Michael Vick in his wheel chair? Really? That's how you run a business. Well, that bit him in the ass didn't it? Peters got way too many kudos from folks way too soon. He had one all pro year. SI, CNN, the second coming of Paul Brown can all say that he is a great player. Fans keep calling him elite. All that means nothing. The players have made this a business and as such there are ways you conduct yourself when you do business. Peters and his agent are getting what they deserve. There is a time when a player goes from disgruntled to disregarded. That time is near for Peters and this season.

PromoTheRobot
08-26-2008, 04:14 PM
Besides Peters himself, what do the Bills lose if they don't resign him for the next three years and just let him rot?
Other than Peters not playing, not a damn thing. They don't have to pay him. In fact they can continue to fine him in the off-season (half-mil a year) and they can sue to recover his signing bonus. Any year he fails to report by week 10 he still owes the Bills that year under contract.

PTR

The Spaz
08-26-2008, 04:15 PM
Where are the Peters supporters now?:lol::rofl:

Michael82
08-26-2008, 04:16 PM
Where are the Peters supporters now?:lol::rofl:
holding out, of this thread. :snicker:

PromoTheRobot
08-26-2008, 04:17 PM
If he sits out all year we should trade him. Its enough already!!!

He is the best young Lt in the game, his value is off the chart. I would love for him to be starting for the bills. If they can't make it happen this season, trade him around the draft. He is worth a top ten pick, he's proven!!!!!!
Why would you reward Peters with a trade, especially since teams would try to low-ball you on his value? The Bills are not going to let some other team improve. Peters stays Bills property.

PTR

PromoTheRobot
08-26-2008, 04:22 PM
If Langston Walker proves himself a solid LT then he'll get the fat raise Peters would've gotten. Serves that jerk and his a--hole agent right.

PTR

Tatonka
08-26-2008, 04:34 PM
I don't think that it is relevant. Point is that so many people here just wanted the
Bills to cave and give him Ft. Knox. There is a way of doing business. Look how much of a baffoon Arthur Blank looks like. Pushing Michael Vick in his wheel chair? Really? That's how you run a business. Well, that bit him in the ass didn't it? Peters got way too many kudos from folks way too soon. He had one all pro year. SI, CNN, the second coming of Paul Brown can all say that he is a great player. Fans keep calling him elite. All that means nothing. The players have made this a business and as such there are ways you conduct yourself when you do business. Peters and his agent are getting what they deserve. There is a time when a player goes from disgruntled to disregarded. That time is near for Peters and this season.

best post i have ever seen from you EB.

raphael120
08-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Pro Bowl tackle or not, Lynch can't run worth **** on his side.

Lexwhat
08-26-2008, 05:04 PM

Be careful. I don't think anyone has "supported" Peters during this whole mess. I have said numerous times that Peters is being selfish, and I don't like it. Let me summarize my viewpoints:

1. I am ONLY concerned about making the playoffs, and having Jason Peters in our lineup significantly improves those chances. No one can deny this.

2. Peters is choosing to make a business decision, and he is facing the consequences. The fact that his teammates are mad at him is absolutely irrelevant. Every player in the NFL makes his own business decisions, just like Peters is doing now. If Peters does decide to come back, I have no doubt he will be welcomed back by the team.

3. The solution I proposed (as others have) is for the Bills to throw him some bonus money to get his ass back on the field. Instead, the Bills have said that they will not give Peters any new money in 2008. If this continues, we are at a stalemate, and our playoff chances will suffer.

4. We can let Peters rot, but ultimately this will not help anyone. Does anyone really think we can defeat teams like New England, Indy, Pittsburgh, or San Diego without Peters in the lineup?

-----------------------

5. Most importantly: I don't give a damn about the personal lives of anyone on our team or front office. I have supported the Bills for years (as many others have) by buying tickets and merchandise, even though I do not have much money. It's a fact that this team makes many terrible decisions, and it remains to be seen whether they handle this situation correctly.

God forbid that this front office actually field a legitimate playoff team.

njsue
08-26-2008, 05:18 PM
Peters went all Ricky Williams on us!

The ganja way.

HHURRICANE
08-26-2008, 05:41 PM
Screw Peters, his agent, and the horse. Im done wasting another minute thinking about this messed up situation. Time to move forward without him!

Yes, I agree. The quicker we can start losing on the field without him, the better!!

HHURRICANE
08-26-2008, 05:45 PM

Sorry, I was late. Just trying to see what I can do after the Bills are out of playoff contention.

If anyone on this Board thinks that Bills are making the playoffs without Peters they are nuts.

I watched the line last year without Peters and it was brutal. I'm glad you are all excited that the line looked okay in pre-season without him.

mayotm
08-26-2008, 05:52 PM
Sorry, I was late. Just trying to see what I can do after the Bills are out of playoff contention.

If anyone on this Board thinks that Bills are making the playoffs without Peters they are nuts.

I watched the line last year without Peters and it was brutal. I'm glad you are all excited that the line looked okay in pre-season without him.Interesting. I haven't read a single post where anybody stated they were excited about the situation. That being stated, go ahead and write the season off before it starts. In fact, don't bother watching. Personally, I'm going to watch anyway.

Mitchy moo
08-26-2008, 06:08 PM

I watched the line last year without Peters and it was brutal. I'm glad you are all excited that the line looked okay in pre-season without him.

Not that Peters isn't a better option but we had zero time to make arrangements during the period you are referring to as a O-line problem. Had we had more time to make adjustments for a Peters Missing, you would of seen some different results. Just like the ~43 minute masterpiece of ball control / play calling you just witnessed. The announcers however silly did mention our size advantage versus the rest of the league on several occassions, biggest line in the league. You hold the ball against any team for 40 + minutes, your odds of winning go up alot.

mysticsoto
08-26-2008, 06:20 PM
If Langston Walker proves himself a solid LT then he'll get the fat raise Peters would've gotten. Serves that jerk and his a--hole agent right.

PTR

Walker is getting paid plenty already. I don't think we need to give him a raise at all. Additionally, though he's played well so far, I don't think anybody will confuse him for a probowl LT. He's been adequate - probably better than anticipated by most fans. That's great, but not deserving of a raise.

Peters is probably deserving of a raise, but b'cse he chose to listen to his agent instead of coming in, and trying to negotiate something while being there, he has risked his entire career. It's still not too late, but Peters better do something soon or he could be burning bridges with the FO...With Demetrious Bell looking good for a rookie, you can bet this FO is not about to let Peters hold them hostage. He could end up kissing his career goodbye - all b'cse he listened to his stupid agent who wanted to pretend he's a master negotiator...

Dr. Lecter
08-26-2008, 06:27 PM
And an agent who has never made money off Peters and won't until he gets a new deal.

Maybe the agent has other priorities than Peters' best interests.

elsocio
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
If Peters holds out the hole season OBD should keep the guy and make him stay for the rest of his contract without playing him, that will be a sweet way to make him pay for his big mistake...

HAMMER
08-26-2008, 06:58 PM
Be careful. I don't think anyone has "supported" Peters during this whole mess. I have said numerous times that Peters is being selfish, and I don't like it. Let me summarize my viewpoints:

1. I am ONLY concerned about making the playoffs, and having Jason Peters in our lineup significantly improves those chances. No one can deny this.

2. Peters is choosing to make a business decision, and he is facing the consequences. The fact that his teammates are mad at him is absolutely irrelevant. Every player in the NFL makes his own business decisions, just like Peters is doing now. If Peters does decide to come back, I have no doubt he will be welcomed back by the team.

3. The solution I proposed (as others have) is for the Bills to throw him some bonus money to get his ass back on the field. Instead, the Bills have said that they will not give Peters any new money in 2008. If this continues, we are at a stalemate, and our playoff chances will suffer.

4. We can let Peters rot, but ultimately this will not help anyone. Does anyone really think we can defeat teams like New England, Indy, Pittsburgh, or San Diego without Peters in the lineup?

-----------------------

5. Most importantly: I don't give a damn about the personal lives of anyone on our team or front office. I have supported the Bills for years (as many others have) by buying tickets and merchandise, even though I do not have much money. It's a fact that this team makes many terrible decisions, and it remains to be seen whether they handle this situation correctly.

God forbid that this front office actually field a legitimate playoff team.

Many, many people have supported Peters in his efforts to get more money. Including resident junior journalist moran.

casdhf
08-26-2008, 07:12 PM
Can't they place him on a reserve list or something, so he can't just show up at week 10 and get credit for the season?

Mitchy moo
08-26-2008, 07:21 PM
Peters will show up if he is healthy, if he doesn't we know he is hurt and this is a stupid game born out of greed / bad advice. The Bills still do not know why he didn't report, which is odd in itself. The management seems to think it's money related but aren't 100% sure.

Tatonka
08-26-2008, 07:38 PM
he can just show up at week 10 and get credit for the season. we are screwed as far as that goes..

theanswer74
08-26-2008, 07:43 PM

Against the Giants? LoL, every line was bad against them.

Against the Eagles, it might have been their best game, and Peters was out.. CHambers was at LT and Walker at RT. Edwards had no pressure, although he had a bad game. Lynch had some holes.

losman2evans
08-26-2008, 07:44 PM
I agree with the consensus that no communication is not an intelligent form of negotiating and not conducive to accomplishing a productive outcome; however, all those agents they interviewed are always gonna say that he other agent isn't doing a great job, hoping they get an opportunity at negotiating Peter's contract in the future and getting that huge commision.

Luisito23
08-26-2008, 07:56 PM
If Peters (who used to be one of my favorite Bills) is dumb enough to let his idiotic agent completly ruin his career and reputation, then I'm sorry but he deserves all the bad that's coming to him...

Buffalogic
08-26-2008, 08:57 PM
Too bad this is happening. Really makes me wonder if Peter's has known his agents for a while and really trusts them. Maybe he feels like he owes his agents a little something to follow them so blindly down a dead end path.

One things still remains..This can all end if Peter's would just suit up for his team on, or before week one. It is up to him right now which way the pendulum of public perception swings. He better choose wisely, this is a key crossroad in his career.

HHURRICANE
08-26-2008, 09:11 PM
No Peters=No playoffs

The front office signed him, extended him, and made him our starting LT.

If they signed a guy that had the potential to not play than I blame them.

I don't feel sorry for the Bills but the fans that will endure yet another season of futility.

Our first shot in a long time to actually make a statement and our best player is sitting at home. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for OBD.

Pick up the phone and get a deal done. What risk do we run? That Ryan Denney isn't going to show up to camp next year??

Romes
08-26-2008, 09:32 PM
The risk we run is more players feeling that holding out is an effective way to get more money. It sets a very bad precident.

Mad Bomber
08-26-2008, 09:40 PM
They should be against him. He is being a total IDIOT by holding out.

....Perhaps he hasn't completely recovered from his injury last year....

He might weigh 400 pounds and be totally out of shape and still hurt...maybe that's why he's not talking?

If not, he's just being a jerk. He has NO leverage here....

Just my opinion...

trapezeus
08-26-2008, 10:01 PM
it would be funny if the bills told L walker, "you're taking the LT spot this year. and if you can make us forget about not signing Peters, we'll extend you what peters would have gotten"

Also, i think peters has a case. he just totally screwed himself by going about it the wrong way.

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-26-2008, 10:15 PM
It's about time some teammates went public about this fat **** doing this..maybe he'll wake up and see that holding out isn't his best option and being a piece of ****....

JerseyBoofaloBills
08-26-2008, 10:29 PM
and no worries..i just tried out for the LT position..i got it, you're lookin at the new LT of the buffalo bills..5'11 140 pounds..i got heart though, weight doesnt matter.

Mitchy moo
08-26-2008, 11:24 PM
Can you imagine trying to collect a bigger paycheck without even asking for one or informing your employer of your intent with withholding your presence??

I still personally maintain that Peters is hurt and could not be physically ready to play as of right now. He is going to wait until ~week 10 and get full credit for the season, which is just BS.

Communication between the sides has been so minimal the Bills' front office is merely assuming Peters wants more money. They can't say with 100 percent certainty, but it's a safe bet.

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast/0-2-140/Peters-holdout-lacks-a-cheering-section.html?bId=0&archiveId=2&username=afceast&entryId=140&sort=oldest

Mahdi
08-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Can you imagine trying to collect a bigger paycheck without even asking for one or informing your employer of your intent with withholding your presence??

I still personally maintain that Peters is hurt and could not be physically ready to play as of right now. He is going to wait until ~week 10 and get full credit for the season, which is just BS.

The reason there is no communication is because the Bills are refusing to re-do his contract this season. Peters asked for a raise right after the season ended and they declined him. Since then he decided not to report until they change their position, which has led us to this stand-off.

Mitchy moo
08-26-2008, 11:53 PM
The reason there is no communication is because the Bills are refusing to re-do his contract this season. Peters asked for a raise right after the season ended and they declined him. Since then he decided not to report until they change their position, which has led us to this stand-off.

We'll they really don't know why according to the management. Asking for a new contract means 0 if you do not know the terms of it.

ALL D
08-27-2008, 12:36 AM
what are the daily fines he has to face?

Lexwhat
08-27-2008, 12:42 AM
Skooby, this was already posted today:

http://www.billszone.com/fanzone/showthread.php?t=158971

Lexwhat
08-27-2008, 12:45 AM
what are the daily fines he has to face?

Once the regular season starts, I think he will have already lost around $500,000 to $600,000 dollars.

According to the article, each game check will be about $191,000.

LifetimeBillsFan
08-27-2008, 03:35 AM
Eugene Parker has been quite successful in using long holdouts to get his clients big contracts in the past and I think that he has sold Peters on the notion that he could succeed with using this strategy against the Bills. Unfortunately, I think that Parker mis-read Peters' situation and how the Bills would respond.

Unlike some of those previous clients, Peters is tied to the Bills for three more seasons--that's a long time in the career of a player if the team decides to play "hard-ball" and doesn't cave in and come crawling to the player with a pile of cash. And, unlike most of those other clients, Peters plays for a small-market team with a lot of young players who are improving that really can't afford to cave in and run the risk of having other players--especially those up-and-coming young players--use a similar tactic to hold the team hostage in the future. And, finally, unlike some of the other teams that Parker has use this tactic on successfully in the past, the Bills aren't owned by one of the "new breed" owners, like Bob Kraft (who caved to R.Seymour), who have a ton of cash and aren't afraid to throw it around, but by a crusty, old-school owner in Ralph Wilson who has been around since the days when players were paid so little that they had to have other jobs in the offseason, who has been known to throw money around about as easily as manhole covers, and who has a history of becoming very stubborn when he feels that he is being pushed up against a wall or that proper procedures/proprieties are not being observed. It doesn't matter to Ralph whether he has enough cash available to satisfy Parker and Peters or not: not only doesn't Ralph respond well to being bullied, but he's not going to set a precedent that he feels is going to be bad for the future of his franchise or do something that he feels will end up hurting the other small-market teams around the league (and you'd better believe that there are a number of other owners around the league that are supporting Ralph and don't want to see him to give in to Parker).

Parker should have known that, if Ralph Wilson wasn't going to give in to the pressure that Jerry Jones, et al put on the other owners when the current CBA was being negotiated, Ralph Wilson wasn't going to respond well to the kind of "silent treatment" holdout tactics that Parker and Peters are using now. Especially not with the Bills holding Peters' rights for three more seasons.

No doubt it will hurt the Bills on the field not to have Peters in the lineup this season. But, not as much as it will hurt Peters.

Peters doesn't have to report until Week 10. At that point, he has to be healthy and in good enough shape to pass a physical. If he does pass a physical, the Bills can to play him or simply keep him on the bench (they can argue that he has missed so much time that he isn't ready or able to keep up with the rest of his teammates). If he doesn't play, he's not going to make the Pro Bowl and that will have a negative impact on his earning potential. The Bills can deduct the fines that have been levied for all of the time that he has missed in the offseason and preseason from the game checks that he earns and will not have to pay him for the games that he misses. In addition, they can try to reclaim a portion of the signing bonus that Peters received when he signed his extension a couple of years ago.

If they choose to do so, the Bills can do this for the next three seasons. At that point, how many teams are going to be interested in paying big bucks to a one-time former Pro Bowl LT who hasn't played in a game for 3 years? Undoubtedly someone will pay him, but, if the Bills do that (and don't put it past Ralph to at least threaten to do just that), Peters will never end up making the kind of money that if he reports, plays and negotiates an extension with the team for next season (or even plays out his current contract and becomes a free agent in three years).

In the meantime, yes, the Bills will not be as good as they could be this season with L.Walker replacing Peters at LT. But, if the Bills have to go without Peters this season, you can bet that they will design a crash-course to prepare Demetrius Bell to step in at LT next season. Bell is still raw and a long way to go in terms of improving his strength and technique, but you can already see that he has the same kind of quickness and feet that Peters showed at a similar stage. If Bell continues to develop--and indications are that he is a hard and willing worker (he already looks so much better than he did in the OTAs)--he has the potential to make Peters very expendable. And, getting Bell ready to take over for Peters may only cost the Bills one season--a season where a number of key young players on the team are still going to be developing and maturing.

The Bills have the potential to make the playoffs this season with Jason Peters. And, his teammates--who could lose out on getting an extra paycheck from making the playoffs and will run the risk of injury and possibly losing an opportunity that they may never have again--have every right to be angry with Peters and Parker if this holdout continues and costs the team its chance to make the playoffs this year.

Of course the guys in the lockerroom understand that the NFL is a business and that their teammates have to take care of their own business and families, etc. And, generally, that makes them sympathetic when a teammate tries to get a better contract for himself. But, when that negatively impacts not only the team's chances to win, but their own ability to make money for themselves and their own families, a lot of that sympathy goes out the window. Besides which, it's not like the Bills haven't shown that they are willing to try to work on giving a mutually acceptable contract to the players that they are trying to build around the last couple of years.

The players and the agents know how the game is played and what the deal is with Peters. They are not going to go on the record openly, but they know that Parker has mis-played his hand here. And, the players have every right to be upset with Peters for letting his agent put the success of their collective season in jeopardy. We're fans and we're upset, but it is their sweat, blood and future earnings that are at stake here as well, so I don't blame them for beginning to get upset.

Mitchy moo
08-27-2008, 06:08 AM
:rockon:

Eugene Parker has been quite successful in using long holdouts to get his clients big contracts in the past and I think that he has sold Peters on the notion that he could succeed with using this strategy against the Bills. Unfortunately, I think that Parker mis-read Peters' situation and how the Bills would respond.

Unlike some of those previous clients, Peters is tied to the Bills for three more seasons--that's a long time in the career of a player if the team decides to play "hard-ball" and doesn't cave in and come crawling to the player with a pile of cash. And, unlike most of those other clients, Peters plays for a small-market team with a lot of young players who are improving that really can't afford to cave in and run the risk of having other players--especially those up-and-coming young players--use a similar tactic to hold the team hostage in the future. And, finally, unlike some of the other teams that Parker has use this tactic on successfully in the past, the Bills aren't owned by one of the "new breed" owners, like Bob Kraft (who caved to R.Seymour), who have a ton of cash and aren't afraid to throw it around, but by a crusty, old-school owner in Ralph Wilson who has been around since the days when players were paid so little that they had to have other jobs in the offseason, who has been known to throw money around about as easily as manhole covers, and who has a history of becoming very stubborn when he feels that he is being pushed up against a wall or that proper procedures/proprieties are not being observed. It doesn't matter to Ralph whether he has enough cash available to satisfy Parker and Peters or not: not only doesn't Ralph respond well to being bullied, but he's not going to set a precedent that he feels is going to be bad for the future of his franchise or do something that he feels will end up hurting the other small-market teams around the league (and you'd better believe that there are a number of other owners around the league that are supporting Ralph and don't want to see him to give in to Parker).

Parker should have known that, if Ralph Wilson wasn't going to give in to the pressure that Jerry Jones, et al put on the other owners when the current CBA was being negotiated, Ralph Wilson wasn't going to respond well to the kind of "silent treatment" holdout tactics that Parker and Peters are using now. Especially not with the Bills holding Peters' rights for three more seasons.

No doubt it will hurt the Bills on the field not to have Peters in the lineup this season. But, not as much as it will hurt Peters.

Peters doesn't have to report until Week 10. At that point, he has to be healthy and in good enough shape to pass a physical. If he does pass a physical, the Bills can to play him or simply keep him on the bench (they can argue that he has missed so much time that he isn't ready or able to keep up with the rest of his teammates). If he doesn't play, he's not going to make the Pro Bowl and that will have a negative impact on his earning potential. The Bills can deduct the fines that have been levied for all of the time that he has missed in the offseason and preseason from the game checks that he earns and will not have to pay him for the games that he misses. In addition, they can try to reclaim a portion of the signing bonus that Peters received when he signed his extension a couple of years ago.

If they choose to do so, the Bills can do this for the next three seasons. At that point, how many teams are going to be interested in paying big bucks to a one-time former Pro Bowl LT who hasn't played in a game for 3 years? Undoubtedly someone will pay him, but, if the Bills do that (and don't put it past Ralph to at least threaten to do just that), Peters will never end up making the kind of money that if he reports, plays and negotiates an extension with the team for next season (or even plays out his current contract and becomes a free agent in three years).

In the meantime, yes, the Bills will not be as good as they could be this season with L.Walker replacing Peters at LT. But, if the Bills have to go without Peters this season, you can bet that they will design a crash-course to prepare Demetrius Bell to step in at LT next season. Bell is still raw and a long way to go in terms of improving his strength and technique, but you can already see that he has the same kind of quickness and feet that Peters showed at a similar stage. If Bell continues to develop--and indications are that he is a hard and willing worker (he already looks so much better than he did in the OTAs)--he has the potential to make Peters very expendable. And, getting Bell ready to take over for Peters may only cost the Bills one season--a season where a number of key young players on the team are still going to be developing and maturing.

The Bills have the potential to make the playoffs this season with Jason Peters. And, his teammates--who could lose out on getting an extra paycheck from making the playoffs and will run the risk of injury and possibly losing an opportunity that they may never have again--have every right to be angry with Peters and Parker if this holdout continues and costs the team its chance to make the playoffs this year.

Of course the guys in the lockerroom understand that the NFL is a business and that their teammates have to take care of their own business and families, etc. And, generally, that makes them sympathetic when a teammate tries to get a better contract for himself. But, when that negatively impacts not only the team's chances to win, but their own ability to make money for themselves and their own families, a lot of that sympathy goes out the window. Besides which, it's not like the Bills haven't shown that they are willing to try to work on giving a mutually acceptable contract to the players that they are trying to build around the last couple of years.

The players and the agents know how the game is played and what the deal is with Peters. They are not going to go on the record openly, but they know that Parker has mis-played his hand here. And, the players have every right to be upset with Peters for letting his agent put the success of their collective season in jeopardy. We're fans and we're upset, but it is their sweat, blood and future earnings that are at stake here as well, so I don't blame them for beginning to get upset.

Mitchy moo
08-27-2008, 06:08 AM
:rockon:

Dantheman1280
08-27-2008, 06:21 AM
That was a great read.

casdhf
08-27-2008, 09:01 AM
The team has to have some leverage here. I thought I remember reading a while back that if he doesn't report, they can place him on a reserve list or something which would make him inactive for the season not allowing him to report at all.

Anyone else ever recall hearing this? I can't remember which holdout it was, although it wasn't involving the bills, but It wasn't too long ago.

justasportsfan
08-27-2008, 09:27 AM
Interesting. I haven't read a single post where anybody stated they were excited about the situation..
It's HH ,what do you expect?

trapezeus
08-27-2008, 09:32 AM

Since this post is typical for LTBillsfan, i'd like to nominate him as poster of the year. great post to summarize the situation and how the team is affect, the players, Jason Peters and the agent.

trapezeus
08-27-2008, 09:33 AM
The team has to have some leverage here. I thought I remember reading a while back that if he doesn't report, they can place him on a reserve list or something which would make him inactive for the season not allowing him to report at all.

Anyone else ever recall hearing this? I can't remember which holdout it was, although it wasn't involving the bills, but It wasn't too long ago.

isn't this the clause the eagles used on TO to keep him away from the team and to get his wages back? I think that's what you are refering to. I could be wrong though.

Michael82
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM

And that right there is why you are my favorite poster on the Bills Zone. Excellent post! :bf1:

Ebenezer
08-27-2008, 10:31 AM
No Peters=No playoffs

The front office signed him, extended him, and made him our starting LT.

If they signed a guy that had the potential to not play than I blame them.

I don't feel sorry for the Bills but the fans that will endure yet another season of futility.

Our first shot in a long time to actually make a statement and our best player is sitting at home. Sorry, but I have no sympathy for OBD.

Pick up the phone and get a deal done.

I suppose you would have been Arthur Blank and pushed Vick in his wheelchair, too?