PDA

View Full Version : TBN: Edwards recovers; Walker eyes opener

Mitchy moo
08-27-2008, 06:12 AM
Quarterback Trent Edwards is back and offensive tackle Langston Walker is getting close as the Bills returned to practice Tuesday.
Edwards looked pretty sharp during the nearly 2 1/2-hour session at Ralph Wilson Stadium, showing no ill effects from the bruised right quadriceps that sidelined him for most of last week.
Walker did not practice Tuesday, but his injured left forearm is feeling much better and should be healthy for the season opener against Seattle.
Edwards indicated that there is still some swelling and soreness in his quad, but said it’s something he has to play through.
“Once it gets warmed up and the blood starts flowing through there I feel like I’m getting back to close to 100 percent, which is where I want to get back to,” he said. “The sooner I can get there the better.”
Coach Dick Jauron didn’t officially announce Edwards would start in the Bills’ preseason finale against Detroit on Thursday, but Edwards feels he can play if his quad feels as good as it did Tuesday.
“This is definitely going in the right direction,” he said. “If I was talking to you last Thursday it wasn’t anywhere near game playable. I’m happy with the progress I’ve made with the trainers. That’s all I can really ask for right now.”
Edwards got through practice without a hitch. Almost. He hit the turf on one play when left guard Derrick Dockery stepped on his foot as Edwards was pulling away from center Melvin Fowler.
“I tell you what, I had a few choice words with Derrick Dockery about that one,” Edwards said in jest. “He kind of jumped a little early on my snap count. That’s another thing you have to work through.”
Walker, who was injured early in Sunday’s game at Indianapolis, said he could have returned, but that wasn’t necessary since the starters’ night was almost over at that point. He would like to play Thursday, but that is unlikely given the short week.
•••
Rookie tight end Derek Fine suffered a serious thumb injury in the Colts game. As for how long Fine will be out, Jauron said it “is going to be a while.”
If it’s a four-to six-week injury, the Bills could be shorthanded at tight end going into the season opener. Derek Schouman, who is No. 2 on the depth chart, is out at least two more weeks with a knee injury. Fine had been competing with Courtney Anderson and Tim Massaquoi for the third spot.
•••
Rookie cornerback Kennard Cox, punter D. J. Fitzpatrick, receiver C. J. Hawthorne and defensive end Shaun Nua were cut and quarterback Matt Baker was placed on the waived/injured list Tuesday as the Bills trimmed their roster to the mandatory 75-man limit.
Cox, who is a cousin of Bills receiver Roscoe Parrish, was the third of three seventh-round draft picks. Cox was drafted as a cornerback but also got some time in training camp at safety. He is a strong candidate for the practice squad if another team doesn’t sign him.
The final cutdown to the 53-man squad is Saturday.

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/424369.html

Night Train
08-27-2008, 06:28 AM
It would be nice to pick up another TE & OT off waivers. We'll see.

don137
08-27-2008, 06:36 AM
Glad to hear Walker will be good to go for the opener. Huge relief...