PDA

View Full Version : My pick for the 1sr round next year would be....

X-Era
08-27-2008, 06:52 AM
TE- Jermaine Gresham, 6' 5" 264, and he runs a 4.6!!

He scored 11 TD's for the Sooners last year, has very good hands, and blocks with a real nasty streak. Hes the prototypical TE.

DraftBoy
08-27-2008, 07:50 AM
He's not a prototypical TE he's a new breed TE and I like his game alot if we are picking between 13-17 I think he's a solid pick.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2008, 07:57 AM
How is his route running?

DraftBoy
08-27-2008, 08:01 AM
How is his route running?

Needs polish but its pretty good, he's exceptional short and intermediate wise, could use some work on the seam route and a fade. Needs to get out of his cuts quicker and be more precise, but overall its very good.

Im not as sold on his blocking ability as EE but thats because he rarely blocks pass rushers, his hands are great, and Im curious to see some workout numbers for him, and see how true the 4.6 is 40 wise.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2008, 08:04 AM
As I have said before though, for a TE I am more concerned with his burst off the line, 10-yard speed and 20-yard speed than I am the 40.

DraftBoy
08-27-2008, 08:05 AM
As I have said before though, for a TE I am more concerned with his burst off the line, 10-yard speed and 20-yard speed than I am the 40.

Which is fine for you, Im more concerned with getting behind the D which is usually around 20 yard mark, so those times don't mean as much for me.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2008, 08:08 AM
Practically speaking, how many passes are thrown downfield past 20 yards for a TE though?

Even Gates does not go that far very often.

You mentioned his pass blocking, how about his run blocking?

DraftBoy
08-27-2008, 08:35 AM
Practically speaking, how many passes are thrown downfield past 20 yards for a TE though?

Its not about the passes being thrown though Doc, its about the threat, teams know that Gates can get downfield and beat them deep and they have to scheme to make sure that is covered, plus LB's can have great 10 and 20 yd dash times its beyond that where they wear down and can be beaten.

Run Blocking is solid, needs to work on footwork and hand placement but he is not a liability is at all, nor is he a mauling blocker. He does his job well enough. Of course having Demarco Murray running behind you makes it a little easier.

X-Era
08-27-2008, 04:24 PM
He's not a prototypical TE he's a new breed TE and I like his game alot if we are picking between 13-17 I think he's a solid pick.

If by new breed, you mean TE who looks like a beefed up WR (see Matt Trannon, and Travis Beckum), then I disgaree.

X-Era
08-27-2008, 04:31 PM

I think the matchups are a bit more important. Your likely talking about him going up against a OLB or S, so the desirable speed (measured most commonly by the 40 would be 4.4-4.6 ish for a S or 4.5-4.7 ish for a LB) I think hes right in there. He has the height to get over top of either, where both the S's and LB's tend to be a bit shorter (not by much in the case of the LB's).

To me whats compelling is his size/speed. Hes not 6' 2" and 240 (Dustin Keller type size) and running that fast, hes got 6" 4" 264 size with room to grow. Thats DE size with LB speed.

DraftBoy
08-28-2008, 08:13 AM
If by new breed, you mean TE who looks like a beefed up WR (see Matt Trannon, and Travis Beckum), then I disgaree.

No I mean a WR who can stretch field, is athletically gifted and can play in the slot. Prototypical TE's are good blockers, and an emergency outlet on short to intermediate routes, have little to no break tackle ability, and not true passing threats. Gresham is not prototypical in any of those sense, he is one of the new breed TE's like Gates, Kellen Davis, Jermicheal Finley, Martellus Bennett, Vernon Davis, Kellen Winslow II, etc...

bigbub2352
08-28-2008, 01:10 PM
I think it is a no brainer to go here in the 1st rd, depending on Evans contract, i think this is by far our biggest glaring need, it has been to long we havent had a capable TE since Jay Reimersma