PDA

View Full Version : CB trade to Cleveland needs to happen!

mysticsoto
08-27-2008, 10:05 AM
Browns coach Romoe Crennel says the team remains interested in free agent CB Ty Law.
Law has been looking for more money and a firmer role than the Browns, Jets, or Patriots have offered. The Browns, however, are practically reeking of desperation in the secondary.

If the Browns are so desperate that they are willing to take Ty Law who should have retired already, you can't tell me that with the glut of CBs we have, we can't swing a deal with them...

A previous thread mentioned Youboty being traded to Cleveland, but now that he's stepped up, I'd trade Will James. He's a vet, has experience and we should be able to get something for him. When the alternative is to cut him, the Bills should definitely be trying to work a deal with him. And b'cse Cleveland knows that we have to cut some of our candidates anyway...we need to have a 2nd team trying to bid for him also. There's got to be someone else that could use a DB.

How much to ask is the question...4th rounder maybe?

justasportsfan
08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
How much to ask is the question...4th rounder maybe?

player for player. who do they have that can play back up LT or RT?

hydro
08-27-2008, 10:06 AM
They are probably just hoping for a good one to be cut.

trapezeus
08-27-2008, 10:07 AM
with cut day being so close, why would cleveland offer anything? there have to be a slew of young CB's getting the ax around the league. Cleveland is best just waiting.

Plus the bills and browns played late in the season last year for an outside shot at the playoffs. Im sure both sides sees the other as direct competition this year. So they may be less likely to want to strike deals with each other.

gil
08-27-2008, 10:16 AM
maybe they'll give us Joe Thomas straight up :laughing:

OpIv37
08-27-2008, 10:19 AM
I think trap nailed it.

For example, just take the Bills: McGee, McKelvin, Greer, James, Corner, Youboty. Chances are at least one of them will be cut and Cleveland can grab him off the street. I'm sure other teams are in similar situations.

If Cleveland does make a trade, it won't be until after they get to peruse the final cuts.

mysticsoto
08-27-2008, 10:35 AM
player for player. who do they have that can play back up LT or RT?

They are hurting on the Oline themselves...we won't find anything available there...

mysticsoto
08-27-2008, 10:37 AM
with cut day being so close, why would cleveland offer anything? there have to be a slew of young CB's getting the ax around the league. Cleveland is best just waiting.

Plus the bills and browns played late in the season last year for an outside shot at the playoffs. Im sure both sides sees the other as direct competition this year. So they may be less likely to want to strike deals with each other.
Except that if they wait until cuts are made, everyone is fair game and another team can swoop in and take somebody that they might like. If they are as desperate as it sounds - by considering Ty Law, it might be in their best interest to pay and lock a CB in for them. A 4th rounder isn't that high a payment!

Oaf
08-27-2008, 11:20 AM
Vet, vet, vet, vet experience. Why don't we sign a good vet? Dump James, and pickup Law for the Nickel. Now HE'd be a great mentor for a season or two and he'd help us be Patriot-ready.

OpIv37
08-27-2008, 11:33 AM
Vet, vet, vet, vet experience. Why don't we sign a good vet? Dump James, and pickup Law for the Nickel. Now HE'd be a great mentor for a season or two and he'd help us be Patriot-ready.

good vet, yes.

Law, no.

The dude was washed up as a safety when we cut him 2 or 3 years ago. There's no way he could still be effective at corner.

Plus, he hasn't played with the Patriots since 2002 so I don't think he could provide any additional insight that we don't already know at this point.

Dr. Lecter
08-27-2008, 11:35 AM
good vet, yes.

Law, no.

The dude was washed up as a safety when we cut him 2 or 3 years ago. There's no way he could still be effective at corner.

Plus, he hasn't played with the Patriots since 2002 so I don't think he could provide any additional insight that we don't already know at this point.
Ty Law.

Not Lawyer Milloy, who is still playing in Atlanta.

Ickybaluky
08-27-2008, 11:41 AM
Ty Law reportedly is close to signing with the Browns.

BTW, the Browns have already traded their 3rd, 5th and 7th round picks next year. They are probably hesitant to trade more.

Mr. Pink
08-27-2008, 11:59 AM
From what I've heard Law is mulling offers and/or options with signing with the Browns, Jets and Phins actually.

Cleveland also reportedly has interest in Ricky Manning Jr who apparently is none too pleased with his situation in Chicago and basically walked out on the team.

As for their O-line depth...Kevin Shaffer was allegedly being shopped earlier but now Ryan Tucker has been placed on the PUP so Shaffer is gonna start at RT...Hadnot is a decent albeit nothing special backup C and then veteran Lennie Friedman who frankly never was that good...that's about their only true depth.

OpIv37
08-27-2008, 12:30 PM
Ty Law.

Not Lawyer Milloy, who is still playing in Atlanta.

D'oh

I always get those two confused.

Anyway, Law's still washed up.

mysticsoto
08-27-2008, 12:32 PM
Ty Law reportedly is close to signing with the Browns.

BTW, the Browns have already traded their 3rd, 5th and 7th round picks next year. They are probably hesitant to trade more.

Oh crap...then do a 3rd rounder in 2010... :D

Night Train
08-27-2008, 12:50 PM
Trade with anyone to get a vet OT.

Who the hell cares about picks ? We have an immediate depth concern.