PDA

View Full Version : Ngata vs our DTs that we got in the same year

Mitchell55
08-27-2008, 06:26 PM
Ngata- 32 starts, 94 tackles, 4 sacks

McCargo- 0 starts, 21 games, 35 tackles, 2.5 sacks

Williams- 32 games, 27 starts, 159 tackles, 2 sacks

So Williams is crushing Ngata right now with less starts. McCargo has never started a game, and Ngata has 11 games over him. Yet Ngata has only about 50 more tackles. That sounds like alot, but when you look at his starts and games, he should be crushing him.

McCargo + Williams > Ngata

We ended up getting 2 DTs, 1 who has killed Ngata so far, and another one who has a good number of tackles and sacks for how little he has played. Also, we got Whitner. Whitner as of right now, is the face of the bills. He is known around the league as a feared SS.

RingofFire
08-27-2008, 06:31 PM
Are you on drugs?

Kyle Williams is not better than Ngata.

Meathead
08-27-2008, 06:32 PM
feared?

RingofFire
08-27-2008, 06:51 PM
Ngata-Stroud would be a sick combo

gil
08-27-2008, 06:55 PM
Have you seen Ngata play? He's a freaking monster in there - he doesn't need stats, he changes the way offenses play.

patmoran2006
08-27-2008, 07:01 PM
I'm speechless at this thread...

Hold on (adjust my eyes)
Did you just compare Kyle Williams to Ngata? And compare him FAVORABLY?

Dude.. Jan Reimers thinks your a homer

Devin
08-27-2008, 07:11 PM
:rofl:

Wow. I said it then I will say it again, Ngata is a monster and I wish more then anything we had drafted him.

Devin
08-27-2008, 07:12 PM
We could have had Ngata and Mangold.

I try not to cry when I think of that.

Mitchell55
08-27-2008, 07:21 PM
How does anyone compare 129 tackles to 94? For DTs, I know stats dont matter as much but still. With 2 draft pics the both have over 160 tackles so far, and together played about 50 games.

historypete
08-27-2008, 07:27 PM
Yeah and with Williams and McCargo our run defense has been shredded, so those tackles don't mean a whole lot since they're made 10 yards downfield. If anything it shows they can hustle for D-lineman.

Ngata's influence is found in taking up multiple blockers so Ray Lewis and the other LBs in that defense can run and make the tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately Williams doesn't do that. McCargo showed some promise last year with his ability to penetrate and make plays. Hopefully McCargo is the type of player who looks horrible in practice and is a stud when it matters because this preseason has been a lot like last years, disappointing.

Mitchell55
08-27-2008, 07:30 PM
Yeah and with Williams and McCargo our run defense has been shredded, so those tackles don't mean a whole lot since they're made 10 yards downfield. If anything it shows they can hustle for D-lineman.

Ngata's influence is found in taking up multiple blockers so Ray Lewis and the other LBs in that defense can run and make the tackle at or near the line of scrimmage. Unfortunately Williams doesn't do that. McCargo showed some promise last year with his ability to penetrate and make plays. Hopefully McCargo is the type of player who looks horrible in practice and is a stud when it matters because this preseason has been a lot like last years, disappointing.

I agree. With Stroud here, McCargo and Williams will be very good this year.

OpIv37
08-27-2008, 08:15 PM

So Williams is crushing Ngata right now with less starts. McCargo has never started a game, and Ngata has 11 games over him. Yet Ngata has only about 50 more tackles. That sounds like alot, but when you look at his starts and games, he should be crushing him.

We ended up getting 2 DTs, 1 who has killed Ngata so far, and another one who has a good number of tackles and sacks for how little he has played. Also, we got Whitner. Whitner as of right now, is the face of the bills. He is known around the league as a feared SS.

with DT's, it's not always about stats. It's about getting in the backfield and being disruptive by either redirecting the running play or pressuring the QB. None of that stuff shows up on a stat sheet. I think Williams and McCargo have shown potential and they may turn out to be good or even great, but as of right now I'd take Ngata over either one in a heartbeat.

theanswer74
08-27-2008, 08:38 PM

The Bills defense also had almost 200 more plays run against them then Baltimore.

Thats why when people talk about tackle numbers it really doesn't mean anything. If your on the field longer, you will get more opportunities for tackles, that is obvious.

Kenny
08-27-2008, 09:27 PM
not going to even comment on your Ngata comment, since everyone has already **** on it (and rightfully so)...

But Whitner:
a) the face of the Bills?
b) people around the league fear him?

:shocked:

Edited by DB-Do Not Attempt to Bypass the Swear Filter

justasportsfan
08-28-2008, 09:41 AM
MOds, take note. Mlynch23 reached his quota for starting threads for the month of September.

dannyek71
08-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Ill take Whitner over Ngata any day. If we drafted Ngata and not Whitner, people would be complaining our we didn't have a good SS and should have taken Whitner.

OpIv37
08-28-2008, 10:08 AM
Ill take Whitner over Ngata any day. If we drafted Ngata and not Whitner, people would be complaining our we didn't have a good SS and should have taken Whitner.

are you out of your ****ing mind?

We could have easily found a SS to equal Whitner's mediocre production by picking up a vet or maybe even later in the same draft. NO ONE is looking at Whitner right now going "I wish we had him." If he was playing like this for another team, Bills fans would be happier than hell that we didn't pick him at #8.

DraftBoy
08-28-2008, 10:17 AM
First off its a bad comparison given the system Ngata plays in compared to us, his job is not to make tackles its to take up blockers and push the pocket.

Second...are you high?

bigbub2352
08-28-2008, 10:32 AM
Ngata would have been the right pick over Whitner all day, williams doesnt even compare to him Williams gets blown off the ball most of the time, Ngata takes on 3 blockers so his Lbers can make plays
Exactly what Stroud will do for us
The whole Scheme with fast quick DTs contributed to us being bottom of the barrell two years in a row

patmoran2006
08-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Have you lost your mind?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Whitner? You could make a very reasonable argument that of the six strong safeties drafted in 2006, except for Daniel Bullocks who’s been injured, Whitner is the least productive of any SS in that draft, period.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
He’s not even in Roman Harper’s league with productivity right now (Harper went in round two). Harper had 90 tackles, 3 INT and 4 sacks last year. Hell, Dawan Landry (Ravens 5<SUP>th</SUP> round) has been just as productive. Antoine Bethea in the 6<SUP>th</SUP> round has twice as many INT’s as Whitner.<o:p></o:p>
The only one you might say has done less than Whitner from that draft is Michael Huff, who went a pick before Whitner.<o:p></o:p>
Unless Donte becomes a real leader ON THE FIELD this year making plays, taking him 8<SUP>th</SUP> overall instead of Ngata or a good linemen was a disaster pick by the FO.<o:p></o:p>

justasportsfan
08-28-2008, 10:38 AM
If we picked Ngata, no one would be guaranteeing playoffs for us this year :ill:

patmoran2006
08-28-2008, 10:41 AM
:rofl:

Wow. I said it then I will say it again, Ngata is a monster and I wish more then anything we had drafted him.
I’ve never stopped thinking about that. We needed a DT and a Center in the worst way; we got a DT but the wrong one (McCargo) and a safety instead.<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
Had we taken Ngata and Mangold instead of Whitner and McCargo; that could’ve went down as one of the best Bills drafts in history.. Because even though I think Marv made a couple of terrible mistakes but not taking them, especially Mangold, he did have one hell of a tremendous later round draft with starters/contributors like Ko Simpson, Brad Butler, Kyle Williams and Keith Ellison.<o:p></o:p>

raphael120
08-28-2008, 11:30 AM
Because even though I think Marv made a couple of terrible mistakes but not taking them, especially Mangold, he did have one hell of a tremendous later round draft with starters/contributors like Ko Simpson, Brad Butler, Kyle Williams and Keith Ellison.<o:p></o:p>
Just having starters/contributors can only get you so far. You need those IMPACT guys, which we have very few of. Now I'd like to see if guys like Whitner, Williams, Simpson, Poz can be those impact guys this season...but thus far, they're not.

Tatonka
08-28-2008, 11:54 AM
sam adams never had a lot of tackles either. and i would take a healthy 25 year old sam adams over any of these guys.

bigbub2352
08-28-2008, 11:59 AM
If we drafted Ngata instead of Whitner we would have had far less problems on D the last 3 years then a SS that never picks the ball off
Im sorry i hated that pick when we made it and i still do, i like whitner dont get me wrong but Beef in the middle is something u build around Safties just like LBers can be found in every draft but someone who is 6ft5 and 340lbs with his strength and athletism dont come around very often
Hence why guys like Sam Adams and Ted Washington, Pat Williams, stay in the league so long

Ngata was exactly what we needed to build a D around, but of course we take an undersized SS, story of the Bills we usually miss when we pick in the top 15, hence the stupidity of the McKelvin pick, the guy was taken 11, he cant read or write, and he probably wont even be in the DIme package, but he is a hell of a returner, for those who made fun of the Dolphins last year we did the same thing this year, when we already had Parrish and McGee on the roster

Argue u all u want i was a huge fan of goin offense this years draft, but Dline and Oline would have been smarter we got a dime a doze 5ft10 180lb CB, who will never be a shut down CB because he lacks the size the BRAINS and the hands to be a true differance maker
Sad we make these mistake too often, hence no playoffs in 8yrs