PDA

View Full Version : TBN: Edwards doubtful for Lions

Mitchy moo
08-28-2008, 06:40 AM
Trent Edwards wasn’t offering many predictions this week other than to suggest he would be ready for the Buffalo Bills’ regular-season opener against the Seattle Seahawks a week from Sunday in Ralph Wilson Stadium. His availability for tonight’s preseason finale against the Detroit Lions was unknown.
At this point, does it really matter? The Bills seemed intent on taking a safety-first approach with Edwards. He already missed one preseason game and has played only four offensive series in the preseason. A brief appearance tonight at The Ralph isn’t likely to have much impact on his preparedness for Week One.
“I’m going to have to wait and see,” Edwards said. “I really haven’t been told anything as of right now. I’m going to take it and see how it goes. I’m trying to get better. I’m trying to get healthy. I’m very concerned about our game a week from Sunday, and that’s all I’m worried about.”
Tonight’s game is the last before teams make their final roster cuts. The primary goal for the Bills and the Lions will be keeping their players in one piece.
The best way to ensure Edwards’ health would be shielding him from potential harm, especially with left tackle and chief bodyguard Langston Walker sitting out both practices this week with a sore left forearm. The Bills aren’t likely to risk further injury to either player for the sake of playing a series or two in a game that means nothing.
Edwards has been suffering from a bruise just above his right knee since Aug. 19, when he bumped legs with running back Marshawn Lynch in practice. His knee was wrapped Wednesday, and he limped slightly while participating only in individual drills. Backup quarterback J. P. Losman ran the starting offense.
“It’s more of a protective limp, I guess,” Edwards said. “It’s knowing my boundaries. There are certain things that cause more problems than others. It’s going good. There hasn’t been a setback so far, and that’s what I’ve been encouraged about.”
Walker was injured Sunday against Indianapolis. The Bills already were thin at left tackle with Jason Peters missing training camp in a contract dispute. They cannot afford a serious injury to Walker, his veteran replacement. Walker’s absence tonight also could put Edwards in unnecessary danger.
Edwards’ limited activity over the past week has led to questions about whether the Bills’ offense, under new coordinator Turk Schonert, would be ready for Seattle. Edwards has attempted only 16 passes in the preseason, the fewest among the three remaining quarterbacks. Losman has completed 24 of 33 passes for 200 yards and one TD while getting extra playing time.
“[Edwards] has had a ton of time in our offseason program and our [organized team activities],” Bills coach Dick Jauron said. “He’s had a good deal of time. If you’re talking about game time, he hasn’t. If you’re talking about game time in this game [against Detroit], he’s not going to get a lot more, either, were he to play.”
The Bills were anxious to see how several rookies fare against the Lions. Receiver James Hardy has been hobbled by a pulled hamstring and hasn’t played since the preseason opener against Washington. Left tackle Dustin Dickinson practiced with the starting offense Wednesday. He’ll likely split time with Demetrius Bell.
Jauron also will take a good look at several other players before determining the 53-man roster by Saturday afternoon. The Bills have a crowd among their backup wide receivers and could have difficult decisions to make in their defensive backfield. Tonight’s game could ultimately determine who sticks around after Saturday.
“It’s a critical game,” Jauron said. “We’re going to get a chance to take some long looks at some young players. We’ve been telling them all along that not only are they auditioning for us, they’re auditioning for the league. As we all know, 31 other teams will study their films just like we study everybody else.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/story/425137.html

njsue
08-28-2008, 07:10 AM
Trent not playing tonight is a good thing. We want him in good shape for the opener.