PDA

View Full Version : CBS' Prisco: Peters Will Be Next

gil
08-28-2008, 08:37 AM
Sorry for another Peters thread, just thought it was good to see this perspective.

I'm hoping he's right - although like has been discussed - if he does show up, who knows if he could play.

The last rookie to sign ended his standoff Wednesday when Jacksonville Jaguars (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/JAC)' first-round pick Derrick Harvey (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/502390) agreed to a five-year deal that could pay him $30 million.

That leaves Buffalo Bills (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/BUF) tackle Jason Peters (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/493695) as the only player not with his team, making him the last holdout.

The Bills are holding their ground on Peters, who wants a new contract. And they should.

Why?

Like Harvey, Peters will show up. Nobody sits out seasons any more in the NFL. There's too much money to be made and only so many earning years in a body.
Harvey wasn't going to sit out a season, and neither will Peters. The Jaguars knew it, and pretty much held their ground. The Bills know it, too. Peters is scheduled to make $3.25 million this season, which is $191,175 per game, on a deal he signed in 2006.

Want to bet he's there on opening day?

I love when agents and players act as if they will sit out. We all know better. The teams know better.

Rams (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/STL) running back Steven Jackson talked about sitting out, but came in and got a new deal. Same for Bears (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/teams/page/CHI) return man Devin Hester (http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/players/playerpage/412717).

http://www.sportsline.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6315047/10142859

HHURRICANE
08-28-2008, 08:45 AM
Yeah, I said the same thing to one of my salespeople in Buffalo this AM. I bet he shows up for the first practice to get ready for the season opener.

I just don't know why the whole situation is so hostile. The guy is our best player and has done everything by the book up until now. The Bills might have the bigger stick but that eventually comes back to bite you.

This isn't Nate Clements who we are talking about. LTs of this caliber are almost as hard to find as starting QBs.

HHURRICANE
08-28-2008, 08:47 AM
By the way, great find and thread.:posrep:

Homegrown
08-28-2008, 08:51 AM
I got a chuckle regarding the title of the Priscos article : Peters Will Be Next

Of course he's going to be next, theres no one left holding out.

In other breaking news, the Sun will set in the West tonight....<!-- Start Post Thank You Hack -->

Night Train
08-28-2008, 08:53 AM
We are still completely in the dark over the actual details.

Off-season surgery & then a holdout with zero contact.

Naturally, it's all the Bills fault. :shakeno:

Mitchy moo
08-28-2008, 08:55 AM
Being greedy and asking a team to violate one of it's policies deserves no credit, play ball J.O.

RedEyE
08-28-2008, 09:03 AM
I disagree with the article.

I think Peters is actually planning on sitting out this season. Rookies and RB's are one thing as Steve Jackson just needs to hit the open hole on run plays. That is his sole responsibility. This is why RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL and why when RBs first come into the league they develop at such a fast pace.

And Harvey is a low 1st round DE that nobody would really expect anything out of to begin with. Regardless of his hold out time, he will be alloted time to grasp the defense.

Peters, on the other hand, holds the postion that anchors the entire Bills offense. The LT not only has to protect his QBs blind side, he has to know each and every play on the field as well as form continuity with the rest of the offense.

Peters has missed all of camp and all of preseason as well as any meeting with NEW OC Turk Schonert, and all field time with the rest of the offense. New playbook, new coach, relatively new QB and RB.

I believe that Peters is planning on sitting the season. And even if he does come back, there isn't enough time now to get him caught up to speed to surpass Walker as starting LT before the start of the season.

The Bills won't pay and therefore Peters isn't willing to WORK to get ahead.

He sits.

HHURRICANE
08-28-2008, 09:07 AM

I think Peters is actually planning on sitting out this season. Rookies and RB's are one thing as Steve Jackson just needs to hit the open hole on run plays. That is his sole responsibility. This is why RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL and why when RBs first come into the league they develop at such a fast pace.

And Harvey is a low 1st round DE that nobody would really expect anything out of to begin with. Regardless of his hold out time, he will be alloted time to grasp the defense.

Peters, on the other hand, holds the postion that anchors the entire Bills offense. The LT not only has to protect his QBs blind side, he has to know each and every play on the field as well as form continuity with the rest of the offense.

Peters has missed all of camp and al of preseason as well as any meeting with OC Turk Schonert, and all field time with the rest of the offense.

I believe that Peters is planning on sitting the season. And even if he does come back, there isn't enough time now to get him caught up to speed to surpass Walker as starting LT before the start of the season.

He sits.

I hope your wrong but a very good counter argument. Has Peter not opened the playbook this year?

To be honest, other than knowing the snap count how many plays does he have to memorize?

RedEyE
08-28-2008, 09:10 AM
I hope your wrong but a very good counter argument. Has Peter not opened the playbook this year?

To be honest, other than knowing the snap count how many plays does he have to memorize?

He has to know line shifts, pulls, audibles, counters, and roll outs just to name a few catagories of play.

HHURRICANE
08-28-2008, 09:16 AM
Well, whether you like it or not the Bills are going to look just as stupid as Peters if it turns out that he doesn't show up.

Headlines:

"Buffalo Bills Jason Peters only player holding out"

"Buffalo Bills only team to have remaing holdout"

"BuffaloBills refusing to negotiate..."

Translation: small ass market team can't compete in big market NFL, most likely to move to LA.

This is how it will look to th rest of the league whether you think it's fair or not.

dannyek71
08-28-2008, 09:21 AM
The Bills have always said that he needs to show up to camp to get a new contract. He didn't even show up. How is this the teams fault?

gil
08-28-2008, 09:22 AM

Peters has missed all of camp and all of preseason as well as any meeting with NEW OC Turk Schonert, and all field time with the rest of the offense. New playbook, new coach, relatively new QB and RB.

He sits.

Good points all, but in the end, I still think he doesn't forfeit close to 2 million in pay for sitting out.

I remember the Lance Briggs situation looking absolutely like it he was going to sit - and then boom, he shows.

As far as him catching up with the offense, I think that will obviously take some time, but it's not like he's the center calling out the defensive fronts, the blocking calls, etc.

I'm actually more worried if he's been on the twinkie diet

RedEyE
08-28-2008, 09:51 AM
Good points all, but in the end, I still think he doesn't forfeit close to 2 million in pay for sitting out.

I remember the Lance Briggs situation looking absolutely like it he was going to sit - and then boom, he shows.

As far as him catching up with the offense, I think that will obviously take some time, but it's not like he's the center calling out the defensive fronts, the blocking calls, etc.

I'm actually more worried if he's been on the twinkie diet

I thought the same thing at first but after listening to Pat Kirwin last night, my mind has changed. Pat was discussing Jackson's new contract and basically stated that teams very rarely make players pay the hold out fines issued. If they don't waive the fines they work it out in the new contract. Jackson's contract will eat any fines issued for holding out of camp.

Example: If Peters was -500K in fines, and he signed a new contract, the agent would make sure that 500K was built into the new deal.

Kirwin made it sound as this is pretty common practice in the NFL.

So, if Peters agent has him in the mindset that the Bills will fold and that they will recover any fines issued by the team, he will inturn sit for as long as it takes to get the contract done.

FlyingDutchman
08-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Well, whether you like it or not the Bills are going to look just as stupid as Peters if it turns out that he doesn't show up.

Headlines:

Translation: small ass market team can't compete in big market NFL, most likely to move to LA.

This is how it will look to th rest of the league whether you think it's fair or not.

Ya gotta get off the whole Bills are cheap thing. Thats not the reason for all this, and that is not how the Bills will be viewed by the rest of the league.

justasportsfan
08-28-2008, 10:06 AM

Headlines:

If the bills give in you'll be *****ing about them being softies and that the bills got owned by a player.

bigbub2352
08-28-2008, 10:34 AM
He needs to show up thats all

raphael120
08-28-2008, 10:44 AM
Just to point this out to everyone, how good is Jason Peters if we can't even pick up 1 yard on 3rd and 1 to his side of the line? It happened quite a few times last season. He's good at pass protection, but so has Walker thus far in preseason. I'm still surprised this oline is so bad a run blocking..

alohabillsfan
08-28-2008, 11:17 AM
[QUOTE=RedEyE]I disagree with the article.

He was selected 8th overall.

RedEyE
08-28-2008, 11:28 AM
[quote=RedEyE]I disagree with the article.

He was selected 8th overall.

Good call. I had him mixed up with Lawerence Jackson (...Jacksonville, I don't know - whatever). This still doesn't dillute my point on rookies entering the league.