• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Bills Omon Had Plenty To Overcome

Coach Mel Tjeerdsma remembers it well.

It was late in Northwest Missouri State’s second-round game in the Division II playoffs and the Bearcats’ coach was pacing the sidelines. His team was in a battle with Chadron State on the road and Tjeerdsma was watching an epic performance by his star running back, Xavier Omon. The team doctor, a fixture with the program for more than three decades, approached the coach as the clock ticked down.

“I remember him coming up to me plainly,” Tjeerdsma said. “He told me that he had never seen a performance like this in all his years with the program. He has been with the team more than 30 years, and that’s what he said after watching Xavier’s performance.”

The doctor’s prognosis was right. No matter the division or conference, the numbers stick out. Omon toted the ball 37 times en route to 309 yards on the ground. He tallied all three of the Bearcats’ touchdowns and his yards on the ground accounted for nearly 60 percent of Northwest Missouri’s total offense. He was playing with his heart on his sleeve; just days before, Omon had been snubbed for a prestigious national award.
    MORE

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Bills Omon Had Plenty To Overcome

Dated August 20th. But not everyday you see a Bills story on the NFLPA site so figured it was worth sharing.

Comment

• Oaf
      Do you read what you write?
      • Jun 2007

I may be in the minority, but I still don't believe Omon's production has superceded Wright's just yet. It'll be interesting how they do the order tonight, considering Wright was 4th on Sunday.

Comment

• DraftBoy
        Administrator
        • Jul 2002

Watched that game and the one after where they beat GV St and he put up 292 yards against the top ranked D in Division II. He ran for 786 yards in just the playoffs alone...
        COMING SOON...
        Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
        We were both drunk and Hillary did not look that bad at 2 AM, I swear!!!!!!

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Oaf
          I may be in the minority, but I still don't believe Omon's production has superceded Wright's just yet. It'll be interesting how they do the order tonight, considering Wright was 4th on Sunday.
          Agreed. He's out first tonight then Wright is in big trouble, unless Omon has a horrible game.

This is a huge game for him, he's probably got a job on the line.

Comment

• camelcowboy
            • Mar 2005

He overcame cowbell's girl friend

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by camelcowboy
              He overcame cowbell's girl friend
              Sorry, Cowbell is my man but that was funny.. I just spit out pop at my desk.. Thanks a lot dude.

Comment

• Tatonka
                • Jul 2002

i dont know how you cant root for omon. i mean i was fine with the wright pick when we made it, but for being a 4th rounder, he has not really impressed, and based on everything i have seen, omon has as much if not clearly more upside, so i think the decision is easy. omon stays. wright goes, and should catch on with another team.
                "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

• bigbub2352
                  • Feb 2005

Omon looks to have more natural instinct and more balance than most rookie Rbs in the league, he lacks a little burst but runs hard and low, and catch out of the backfeild
                  i have seen enough from Dwayne Wright to see he is slow thru the whole runs hard but too stiff and is too concerned with losing the ball now, he runs kinda like a FB
                  Omon is gonna be a productive number 3 for us, another weapon, i am happy we took him even thou i was scratching my head when it happened he looks good
                  XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• Oaf
                    Do you read what you write?
                    • Jun 2007

Originally posted by bigbub2352
                    Omon looks to have more natural instinct and more balance than most rookie Rbs in the league
                    I disagree. From I've seen, he doesn't quite know how to read and follow his blocks yet and hasn't displayed the balance to shed intial contact and get to the second level.

Comment

Working...
                    X