PDA

View Full Version : Day one down...

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 08:13 PM
Well, that was busy as always, I'm up $20 :biggrin: and enjoying myself greatly. That got rather exciting when the Vikes decided to pass... picks flying left and right... the second time they were part of something like that in two years.

Some surprises, as it appears the league both agreed and disagreed with my assessment on the DL talent. Once they got past the "better" talents, DLmen were about as popular as Toronto. (sorry about that SARS reference, I'm tired)

You can rest assured that none of our mock drafts predicted the Bills nabbing McGahee. I was just as surprised as the rest of the country, and I really aught to start to take TD at his word when he says he'll take the best player available.

The Bills got a decent deal with Kelsay in the 2nd, as he was the guy (in our pool) we figured the Bills would grab in the first. I kind of suspected he'd be there in the second, but I expected someone to nab him before he slipped down to us.

I loved the pickup of Crowell in the 3rd. This is a guy who will push Posey for the starting job right out of the draft, as he built for the SLB post in this D. The best thing is, he could probably give decent depth at MLB if needed, and he is a special teams demon.

The biggest surprise of the day (other than the McGahee pick) was watching Kennedy slide to 12.

Well, I'm going to hang around for a little bit tonight, so feel free to barrage me with questions.

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2003, 08:19 PM
You say you were surprised by the McGahee pick. Do you think it was a good move on TD's part? I'm still finding it hard to stomach.

Tatonka
04-26-2003, 08:23 PM
ingtar.. can you please tell arctic something to make him stop freaking out.. :rolleyes:

:puke:

i got a question for you..

why the hell is Rien Long still on the board in the second day after being projected as a top 15 pick a month and a half ago??

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2003, 08:24 PM
Do me a favor, tatonka...do not reply to any more comments I make.

HenryRules
04-26-2003, 08:24 PM
I'm curious how long you think Weathersby will be around and if there's been any word on how serious his injury is?

I think in the 5th or later he could be a pick with some pretty solid upside.

HenryRules
04-26-2003, 08:25 PM
Could the two of you please use the ignore option for each other for the rest of the day?

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 08:42 PM
LOL...

OK, the McGahee pick. First of all how about I take you through what I was thinking as the Bills pick approached. By the time Warren went to the Pats (at 13), I knew there would be no 1st round talent on the DL when the Bills picked. I was right, as Haynes and McDougal went in the next two picks. When Pace went at 18 (a bad pick IMO), there simply wasn't any 1st round capable DEs left, and the Cards were taking a flyer on a hit or miss guy. This fact was born out when Denver (who needed a pass rushing DE) passed on the DL. At this point I was thinking the only guy (who filled a Bills need and was worth a 1st round pick) that was left was Jeff Faine. Of course Cleveland took him next.

The Bills got up, I was looking at the available guys on our board looking to place my bet, and all I could think was, if TD doesn't trade out of the first I'm going to be sick... because no one left was really worth the pick. I was actually crestfallen because we wouldn't get a starting quality player with our brilliantly acquired 1st rounder. Deciding to put my money somewhere, I figured they'd take William Joseph (a late 1st round talent, but not someone who I felt fit the Bills). Somehow I ignored the fact that the no.3 guy on our draft board, McGahee was still there.

Do the Bills need McGahee? Hell no. But there really wasn't anyone else the Bills could have picked there. I know the rest of the league wasn't interested in trading for that pick (they were looking at the same crap), heck the Bills called us about that pick, the conversation lasted 15 seconds (Hi Tom... No, sorry).

What do I think about WM? He's (if fully healed) Marshal Faulk. And in this league, with the beatings that RBs take, you can never have enough RB.

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 08:44 PM
Weathersby shouldn't fall much farther... he's right about where we had him projected before the injury (3rd-4th round pick)

Tatonka
04-26-2003, 08:48 PM
what did your team think in regards to WM's chances of recovery?

who do you see us looking at tomorrow.. (i know it is a shot in the dark)

ArcticWildMan
04-26-2003, 08:51 PM
Well, you sure did call it right a few days ago...their was a run for DL and the talent pool was thin for the first round this year!!

I must say, I've never seen so many "odd" picks by other teams. Did they get caught up in the frenzy like folks do at an auction or are the scouting departments in other teams that much different in evaluating talent?

Tatonka
04-26-2003, 08:53 PM
i got another question for you.. what the hell happened in miami?!?!?! :eek:

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 08:54 PM
I'm not sure... I had a more serious (if that’s possible) knee injury than McGahee, and while it was a long time ago (and med tech has improved) I never recovered from it. I was a 4.4 runner, afterward I was 4.9, 4.8 on a good day.

Our docs said he'd fully recover. I'm sure the Bills docs must have said the same thing, or else they wouldn't have picked him.

I'm not sure why Long has fallen so far, must be the specter of that knee op he needs shadowing his draft status... I'll be surprised if he lasts much longer. Those sacks and that frame is to inviting.

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 08:59 PM
Ok... what you saw today was what happens when the talent pool is too shallow. There was an insane rush for the guys who were "good", and everyone else (talent from rounds 2-5) got thrown into a bag, shaken up and picked seemingly randomly. When there isn't that much difference in a player's ratings personal interviews, wonderlics and speed becomes the deciding factor.

In fact if you look carefully, you'll see a lot of the "crazy" picks were made due to he fact those guys had good 40 times.

You also saw the insanity of drafting combine numbers early in the 1st round, as DLmen went based on their combine numbers not their talent or production.

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 09:00 PM
Yeah... Miami really drafted poorly... I'm not sure what they were thinking.

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by ArcticWildMan
Well, you sure did call it right a few days ago...their was a run for DL and the talent pool was thin for the first round this year!!

I must say, I've never seen so many "odd" picks by other teams. Did they get caught up in the frenzy like folks do at an auction or are the scouting departments in other teams that much different in evaluating talent?

a little from column A, a little from column B

-Arizona had the worst draft I’ve ever seen

Doc
04-26-2003, 09:02 PM
Tell me more about Crowell. I'd like to see the Bills package their 2-4th rounders and take WR Justin Gage or stay where they are and take Weathersby and whoever is the best player left with their 2nd 4th round pick.

HenryRules
04-26-2003, 09:05 PM
What's your thinking on what happened with Minnesota?

I think if this continues, they're going to have trouble recruiting FA's in the upcoming seasons. If someones faced with similar offers from Minnesota and another team, I can't see them thinking that Minnesota has the advantage when it comes to their organization.

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Well Crowell is quick, and fairly fast, has good size, and fights through blocks well. He has decent pass rush skills, but is more of a run stopper. Crowell, I'm not kidding, will push Posey for the starting job, because while he isn't the pass rusher, he is a much more well rounded LB.

If the Bill are going to move up, I'd like to see them get someone like Long (he's becoming a real value in the 4th round) because he really is a pass rush talent, which is something missing from our DTs right now.

Yeah, that was odd wasn't that? I heard that Tice was real pissed off. All I can say is that FO is completely out of control, which is not surprising considering their owner is looking to dump the team, and doesn't want to spend any money.

Tatonka
04-26-2003, 09:31 PM
where do you see us going tomorrow ing?

Ingtar33
04-26-2003, 09:50 PM
lord knows... my mind is a bit fried right now... Too many guys going too high for their talent has absolutely shaken this whole thing up.

I couldn't see us passing on Long if he falls to us... and some decent WRs are still available (like Kassim Osgood). I'm not a big fan of the remaining TEs, anyone else we get there will have to be a June 1st cut. I don't think the Bills are looking at DB, maybe a CB to bring into camp later...

Doc
04-26-2003, 09:51 PM
Didn't the team picking before the Vikes in last year's draft let the time run out, and when the Vikes went to make their selection, that team had just put in their selection, which was the same as the Vikes, and the Vikes were forced to take McKinnie (as much as you can be forced to take a guy like that?) instead? What I think happened is that they wanted to pass so as to drop Williams lower and pay him less, but they didn't understand that the following teams were playing beat the clock instead of taking the full 15 minutes.

Doc
04-26-2003, 09:52 PM
What about Justin Gage? Big, fast, productive. I could see them waiting until their 1st 4th round pick and taking someone from among Long, Gage, or Weathersby.

Tatonka
04-26-2003, 10:33 PM
i was just thinking the same thing.. long gage or weathersby.

Bert102176
04-27-2003, 12:12 AM
I like Brandon Lloyd WR, Justi Gage WR, Kassim Osgood WR , Kareem Kelly WR, Shaun McDonald WR, Dennis Weathersby CB, Terrence Holt S, Willie Pile S, Rien Long DT, Ian Scott DT I think one of those guys will be our next pick.