PDA

View Full Version : The Player I'm Hearing Caused Peters Holdout

patmoran2006
08-29-2008, 07:09 AM
I listened in on some media discussion last night about Peters, since the organization sure as hell refuses to discuss it.

And what I heard more than anything is that it was the contract that Roos signed with Tennessee, that pays him something like $7-million per year, that made Eugene Parker decide to take this strategy with Peters.

I am NOT offering an opinion here, Im just saying this is what I heard, often last night.

OpIv37
08-29-2008, 07:25 AM
Jason Peters is the player that caused Jason Peters' holdout.

Philagape
08-29-2008, 08:02 AM
Bucky's column today makes the good point that the Rams giving Jackson a new contract likely only emboldens Parker. Another holdout that worked.

madness
08-29-2008, 08:44 AM
Jackson caved and showed up.

Philagape
08-29-2008, 08:59 AM

Because they were going to pay him. They were talking before he showed up, and obviously it involved a new deal.

bigbub2352
08-29-2008, 09:03 AM
Peters really is showing no class, he better show up i cant believe he is gonna sit a regular season game

TacklingDummy
08-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Bucky's column today makes the good point that the Rams giving Jackson a new contract likely only emboldens Parker. Another holdout that worked.

Jackson: 1 year left on contract

Peters: 3 years left on contract

Big difference

Thurmal
08-29-2008, 09:33 AM
Does anyone really think that he will just give up a $200,000 check every week during the regular season?

TacklingDummy
08-29-2008, 09:35 AM
Does anyone really think that he will just give up a $200,000 check every week during the regular season?

Is there a way the Bills can suspened him and not pay him?

HHURRICANE
08-29-2008, 09:38 AM

I'm really hoping that you are right but it's really looking more and more likely.

Thurmal
08-29-2008, 09:56 AM
Is there a way the Bills can suspened him and not pay him?
Dude, if he doesn't show up for the games, he doesn't get a paycheck.

TacklingDummy
08-29-2008, 10:01 AM
Dude, if he doesn't show up for the games, he doesn't get a paycheck.
Just because he shows up doesn't mean he is going to give the effort.

Even if he does show up the Bills should be able to suspend him for a game or 4 to make a point.

Thurmal
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
Just because he shows up doesn't mean he is going to give the effort.

Even if he does show up the Bills should be able to suspend him for a game or 4 to make a point.

I think he is being a moron too, but, considering he is probably our best player, I want him starting Sunday even if he reports Saturday night.

trapezeus
08-29-2008, 10:09 AM
i believe peters does deserve a new contract, however, he's going to lose a lot of people if he misses the opener. while i understand his business decisionto request a new contract, he also has to remember, no matter how much of a business the nfl is, it is a team game. players on the bills will lose respect for him for losing their chances of big payouts and superbowl dreams.

Ebenezer
08-29-2008, 10:25 AM
I listened in on some media discussion last night about Peters, since the organization sure as hell refuses to discuss it.

And what I heard more than anything is that it was the contract that Roos signed with Tennessee, that pays him something like $7-million per year, that made Eugene Parker decide to take this strategy with Peters.

I am NOT offering an opinion here, Im just saying this is what I heard, often last night.
this was speculated by several sources five minutes after he signed the contract.

gr8slayer
08-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Actually, it had been reported that the Rams had offered him a $50 million contract two weeks before he showed up. What kind of contract has Ralph offered Peters?

Saratoga Slim
08-29-2008, 10:35 AM
I still think that Eugene Parker caused Jason Peters' holdout.

acehole
08-29-2008, 10:38 AM

The other way around sparky...Show up like Jackson did and we will talk......

Ebenezer
08-29-2008, 10:40 AM
which the Bills have a huge history of doing.

madness
08-29-2008, 10:44 AM
The Rams had Jackson promise he'd show up in good faith if they start working on contract that could be mutually agreed upon.

If the Rams "caved", it was only because Jackson had only 1 year left otherwise they wouldn't have budged.

gr8slayer
08-29-2008, 10:51 AM
You are, as always, misinformed. As of July 29th, 2008:

The Rams have reportedly offered Steven Jackson a deal that would put him among the NFL's top four highest paid running backs. The proposal would pay $7+ million yearly and slot him behind only Larry Johnson, Clinton Portis, and LaDainian Tomlinson. But aside from a few texts from Scott Linehan to Jackson, the sides have had zero dialogue since camp began. Jackson is said to be in search of $20 million guaranteed, or "considerably more" than St. Louis offered. Jackson is up to $60,464 in fines.

They offered him a contract, he chose to wait until August 20th to report and begin:

Steven Jackson passed his physical and returned to practice Thursday morning.
The sides have a contract agreement, but no terms have been announced. The Rams aren't worried about Jackson picking up new OC Al Saunders' scheme because he's played in something similar before and studied the playbook during his holdout. He could play in St. Louis' preseason finale.

Until the Bills make an offer (good or bad) I'm glad Peters is holding out.

Typ0
08-29-2008, 11:13 AM
it's looking more and more likely that JP will never play for the Bills again. It's sad to since this organization is the reason he is where he is.

TacklingDummy
08-29-2008, 11:37 AM
I think he is being a moron too, but, considering he is probably our best player, I want him starting Sunday even if he reports Saturday night.

If he showed up tomorrow would he be able to play opening day?

I doubt he is in game shape. And with coming off an injury I wouldn't rush him in.

Typ0
08-29-2008, 11:38 AM
If he showed up tomorrow would he be able to play opening day?

I doubt he is in game shape. And with coming off an injury I wouldn't rush him in.

so he shows up tomorrow to get paid for the game and not be able to play because he failed to work the last six weeks? Screw him.

TacklingDummy
08-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Until the Bills make an offer (good or bad) I'm glad Peters is holding out.

The thing is though Jackson had 1 year left on his contract. Peters has 3. Im sure the Bills would have no problem giving him a new contract if he only had 1 or maybe even 2 years left on the one he has now.

How common is it for a player with 3 years left on his contract to holdout?

TacklingDummy
08-29-2008, 11:40 AM
so he shows up tomorrow to get paid for the game and not be able to play because he failed to work the last six weeks? Screw him.

That's why the Bills should be able to suspend him until they feel he is ready to play.

Typ0
08-29-2008, 11:42 AM
That's why the Bills should be able to suspend him until they feel he is ready to play.

they should have suspended him the day they broke camp and he didn't show up at OBD.

Nighthawk
08-29-2008, 11:46 AM
Yet again, the Bills should pay Peters. They've paid other players with 3 years left on their contracts, so that arguement is garbage. They opened the flood gate by paying those other players, so stating that they don't want to do it because other players then will want new contracts is just plain bulls**t!

gr8slayer
08-29-2008, 12:27 PM
The thing is though Jackson had 1 year left on his contract. Peters has 3. Im sure the Bills would have no problem giving him a new contract if he only had 1 or maybe even 2 years left on the one he has now.

How common is it for a player with 3 years left on his contract to holdout?
2 years, 3 years, what's the difference? If your policy is nothing until the year the contract is up then you stick to that no matter what. How many players in the league are as underpaid as Peters? I'm sure they all think they are but how many are actually that underpaid?

syracuse76
08-30-2008, 08:20 AM
Jason Peters is the player that caused Jason Peters' holdout.

100% agree...no one is holding a gun to the mans head it is ultimately his decision.

TigerJ
08-30-2008, 06:01 PM

I am NOT offering an opinion here, Im just saying this is what I heard, often last night.The question is, did these media types hear this from Peters or Parker. If not, than it's just opinion and carries no more wieght than a cup of coffee. It's entirely plausible, but who really cares what people's opinions are. We have our own we can rely on.