• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OpIv37
    Acid Douching Asswipe
    • Sep 2002

Practice Squad

Just out of curiosity, has there ever been a Practice Squad player who became an NFL starter?

I can't think of one in Buffalo off the top of my head and I'm not familiar enough with any other teams' rosters to know.

It seems that Practice Squad players become like Happy Gilmore trying out for hockey- they're guys like Drew Haddad and DJ Fitzpatrick who make camp for 2-3 consecutive years, then fade into oblivion.
    MiKiDo Facebook
    MiKiDo Website
  • tatersalad
    • Apr 2008

Re: Practice Squad

ummm Jason Peters comes to mind on our team

Comment

• OpIv37
      Acid Douching Asswipe
      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by tatersalad
      ummm Jason Peters comes to mind on our team
      I know he was undrafted but was he on the practice squad? I thought he made the team as a TE his first year.
      MiKiDo Facebook
      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• The King
        Without me it's just Awe so
        • Jun 2004

Yes Peters was definitely not a PS guy.

Tommy Maddox is someone that I think might've done it.
        I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
        "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
        You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
        It was all
        true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
        He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
        mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• tatersalad
          • Apr 2008

Yeah he was waived and put on the PS brought back for special teams in week 9

Comment

• Patrick76777
            • Jul 2002

Originally posted by MBBedard

Peters actually did spend some time on the PS.
            Resign our own guys!

Comment

• hydro
              • Oct 2005

PS isn't only there to make players into stars. It's main purpose is for players that can be brought on to the active roster when needed. I believe it works pretty well in that regard.
              BERNIAC!

Comment

• tatersalad
                • Apr 2008

found this on bb.com

PRO: Signed with the Bills as an undrafted rookie free agent on 4/26/04…was released by the team on 8/31/04, but later re-signed to the practice squad before being signed to the active roster on 11/12/04…became a force on special teams by the end of the 2004 season.
                NFL AWARDS: 2007 NFL Pro Bowl Selection… 2007 2nd Team Associated Press All-Pro Selection… 2006 Sportsillustrated.com Monday Morning Quarterback All-Pro selection
                2007: Selected to Pro Bowl for the first time in his career; did not attend the game due to injury… First Bills offensive lineman to make the Pro Bowl since Ruben Brown in 2003… Part of offensive line that allowed only 26 sacks, the fewest allowed by Buffalo since sacks became an official NFL statistic in 1982… Started 15 games at left tackle. … member of the first Bills offensive line to start 15 consecutive games since 1989 (16 games)… Helped pave the way for over 100 yards rushing in 11 of 16 games and a 112.5 yards per game rushing average… Helped lead the way for 224 rushing yards against Miami (12/9), including two 100-yard rushers (Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson). It was the first time since 1996 that the Bills had two backs rush for over 100 yards in the same game… Anchored the offensive line that tied a team record by not allowing a sack in three consecutive games at Was (12/2), vs. MIA (12/9) and at Cle (12/16); Marked the first time the Bills did not allow a sack in three straight games since sacks became an official NFL statistic in 1982… Suffered a groin injury vs. NYG (12/23)… Missed only game of the season at Phi (12/30) due to injury

Comment

• The King
                  Without me it's just Awe so
                  • Jun 2004

I stand corrected. Nicely done
                  I remember that one fateful day when Coach took me aside. I knew what was coming. "You don't have to tell me," I said. "I'm off the team, aren't I?"
                  "Well," said Coach, "you never were really ON the team. You made that uniform you're wearing out of rags and towels, and your helmet is a toy space helmet.
                  You show up at practice and then either steal the ball and make us chase you to get it back, or you try to tackle people at inappropriate times."
                  It was all
                  true what he was saying. And yet, I thought something is brewing inside the head of this Coach.
                  He sees something in me, some kind of raw talent that he can
                  mold. But that's when I felt the handcuffs go on.

Comment

• OpIv37
                    Acid Douching Asswipe
                    • Sep 2002

I stand corrected. Nicely done
                    ditto for me.
                    MiKiDo Facebook
                    MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                      Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                      • May 2003

I think there have been a number of PSers who've gone to be pretty good players. While not a starter, George Wilson was originally on our PS.
                      Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

Jerry Ostroski and Jay Riemersma are two others that come to mind, although that was obviously awhile ago.
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• Jan Reimers
                          Thank You, Terry and Kim, for Saving the Bills. Now, Work on the Sabres.
                          • May 2003

Originally posted by Dr.Lecter
                          Jerry Ostroski and Jay Riemersma are two others that come to mind, although that was obviously awhile ago.
                          Derek Schouman, who could end up starting, spent some time on the PS, too.
                          Should have known, way back in 1960 when we drafted Richie Lucas Number 1, that this would be a long, hard ride. But who could have known it would be THIS bad?

Comment

• billsburgh
                            • Jul 2003

Tommy Maddox was a former 1st roudn pick. I doubt he was ever on a practice squad.

Comment

Working...
                            X