• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Forecasting the Bills 53 Man Roster

Will have the link later.. My take on the Bills 53-man roster.

FORECASTING THE BILLS FINAL 53
    By Patrick Moran, Scout.com

These are the days when being a NFL head coach isn’t exactly pleasurable. I have deep empathy for Dick Jauron. He has some tough choices to make over the next 24 hours as the Bills must shave their roster down to 53 by 4:00 PM on Saturday.

While the majority of roster is more established than recent years, there’s a couple positions uncertain of how many will be kept, and few players at those spots who won’t sleep a wink tonight. Will the Bills keep six receivers or six corners? Do seven linebackers make the opening day roster or only six?

These are just some of the daunting judgments Jauron and the staff must assemble. Here is one man’s view on who makes the final roster.

Quarterback (3): No suspense here. Trent Edwards starts, J.P. Losman and his beard back him up, and Jauron prays both injury prone quarterbacks don’t go down, or else clipboard holder Gibran Hamden gets pressed into action. Quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt may come out of retirement before that happens.

Running Back (4): Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Darius Barnes are locks. The team will keep a third tailback, and it should be rookie Xavier Omon. Dwayne Wright’s case of fumbleitis will cost him a job.

Wide Receiver (6): Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish and James Hardy are secure. Justin Jenkins gets the fifth spot on his special teams prowess. I think Steve Johnson showed enough last night to have the team keep a sixth. He’s also improved on special teams, a must for bottom of the depth chart receivers. Don’t count on Felton Huggins being on the practice squad. He won’t make the final roster and the bet here is another team signs him to their roster.

Tight End (3): Robert Royal is the starter and Derek Schouman and his bad knee is the backup. Then it gets dicey. Last season the Bills kept four tight ends and no fullback. With Barnes on the roster the team probably carries only three. Derek Fine is a rookie the team likes but could hit injured reserved with a bad thumb. That leaves Courtney Anderson or Tim Massaquoi. I’m going with Anderson with the thinking he’s the better blocker in two tight end sets.

Offensive Line (9): Jason Peters has to report at some point. Derrick Dockery, Melvin Fowler, Brad Butler and Langston Walker are the other starters and safe. Kirk Chambers and Duke Preston are locks to make the team as backups. Demetrius Bell makes the team because even if he’s not ready to play right now, he gets cut and another team will snatch him immediately. I was prepared to write off Jason Whittle as a surprise cut. That was until I saw how hideous the interior backups were in extensive action last night. Robert Felton, Nevin McCaskill and Christian Gaddis had golden opportunities and blew it. Felton and McCaskill may end up on the practice squad. Last year Buffalo kept 8 linemen. I expect nine this time around.

Defensive Line (8): Only one potentially tough decision here. Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Chris Ellis, Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, John McCargo and Spencer Johnson make the team. I really like Copeland Bryan as the fourth defensive end, but Ryan Denney sticks because defensive coordinator Perry Fewell isn’t confident enough in Ellis as the first end off the bench quite yet. The Bills will hold their breath Bryan can slip through the cracks and onto the practice squad.

Linebacker (7): The top five are set but then it’s anyone’s guess. Kawika Mitchell, Paul Posluszny, Angelo Crowell, Keith Ellison and John DiGiorgio won’t be losing sleep on cutdown day eve. That leaves Donnie Spragan, Blake Costanzo, Jon Corto and Marcus Buggs for one, possibly two spots, and they’ll come down soley to who’s most valuable on special teams. Costanzo was solid in that area and should make the roster. Spragan might’ve been on his way out, but the concussion Corto suffered last night may hinder his chances of making the roster. Buggs is likely headed to the practice squad.

Cornerback (5): Terrence McGee, Jabrari Greer, Ashton Youboty and Leodis McKelvin are the first four corners. If the team keeps only five, I’m going with rookie Reggie Corner over Will James. Corner had a tremendous camp and if he gets cut there’s no way he ends up on the practice squad. Another team will sign him instantly. James, despite being the veteran of the backups is in serious jeopardy. Unless the team keeps six he could be the odd man out. Dustin Fox--- we hardly knew ya.

Safety (5): Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson are locked into starting roles. Fewell loves Bryan Scott backing up Whitner. George Wilson should make the team due to strong special teams play and ditto for John Wendling.

Special Teams (3): Rian Lindell and Brian Moorman are as good as it gets in the kicking game. Chris Neil is the long snapper and should keep his gig spot, though the Bills could elect to use Wilson on long snaps in order to keep an extra linebacker or cornerback on the roster.

Practice Squad (8): Bruce Hall (RB), Johnathan Evans (FB), Scott Mayle (WR), Corto (LB), Buggs (LB), Gaddis (OL), Felton (OL) and Bryan (DE.)

Cut list: Jon Banks, Dustin Dickinson, Patrick Estes, Dustin Fox, Nevin McCaskill, Will James, Jason Jefferson, Derek Jones, Corey Mace, Tim Massaquoi, Teraz McCray, Dwayne Wright.

Injured Reserve: Matt Murphy and Derek Fine.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Forecasting the Bills 53 Man Roster

I don’t have many big differences between my final roster and Chris Brown’s. Here are a few of the differences.
    • He’s got Bills carrying 4 TEs, including Fine and Massaquoi. I got Buffalo carrying three with Courtney Anderson on the team and Fine ending up on IR.
    • He’s got Felton Huggins going the practice squad. I hope he’s right. I got him not lasting until our practice squad. I got the Bills carrying the same 6 WR he does, but I think another team will sign Huggins to their active roster. I think he’s a #5 WR in this league.
    • I got Spragan making the roster. I didn’t until Corto got hurt last night. He has Buggs making the roster, I have him on the PS. WE both agree they will keep 7 LB’s.
    • The only difference we have in terms of numbers is at TE and OL. He has them keeping 4 TE and 8 OL. I have them keeping 3 TE and 9 OL. Brown’s numbers sound more logical, though my concern is the amount of injuries to the OL. If the Bills only keep 8 as Brown suggests, I’ll bet they keep two more on the PS. Gaddis is the first choice, and either Felton or McCaskill are the second.

Comment

• bigbub2352
      • Feb 2005

That is very good, i couldnt disagree with any great work Pat

I dont see us keeping many of the cuts on the PS
      Felton Huggins
      Bruce Hall
      Robert Felton
      Jon Corto
      Marcus Buggs
      Matthew Baker

The 2 other spots will be filled by other teams
      XTRA CRISPY XTRA SAUCEY

Comment

• patmoran2006
        Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
        • Dec 2005

If Derek Fine isn't out long term and they do keep 4 TE, then they almost certainly keep only 8 OL.

In that case I think Chambers, Preston and Whittle get the job, and Bell ends up on the practice squad.

Comment

• Griz78
          • Sep 2002

Since when does Wilson Long Snap? I think Neill is teh only other guy. I heard Jonathan Evans was trying this also. I believe Wilson was just holding for Moorman. I wish Wislon could snap, it would save a roster spot.

You would think one of these OL guys would learn, Whittle, McCaskill, etc. they could easily make the roster and bring depth.

Comment

• RoscoeMagic
            • Aug 2008

Originally posted by Griz78
            Since when does Wilson Long Snap? I think Neill is teh only other guy. I heard Jonathan Evans was trying this also. I believe Wilson was just holding for Moorman. I wish Wislon could snap, it would save a roster spot.

You would think one of these OL guys would learn, Whittle, McCaskill, etc. they could easily make the roster and bring depth.
            Yea I don't think little George Wilson could LS, he'd get crushed. I thought they tried Duke Preston at LS as well. Also patorman, in your original post it says Chris Neil instead of Ryan Neil, just thought I'd let you know.
            Internet Breeds Complacency.

Comment

• X-Era
              What this generation tolerates, the next generation will embrace
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006

These are the days when being a NFL head coach isn’t exactly pleasurable. I have deep empathy for Dick Jauron. He has some tough choices to make over the next 24 hours as the Bills must shave their roster down to 53 by 4:00 PM on Saturday.

While the majority of roster is more established than recent years, there’s a couple positions uncertain of how many will be kept, and few players at those spots who won’t sleep a wink tonight. Will the Bills keep six receivers or six corners? Do seven linebackers make the opening day roster or only six?

These are just some of the daunting judgments Jauron and the staff must assemble. Here is one man’s view on who makes the final roster.

Quarterback (3): No suspense here. Trent Edwards starts, J.P. Losman and his beard back him up, and Jauron prays both injury prone quarterbacks don’t go down, or else clipboard holder Gibran Hamden gets pressed into action. Quarterback coach Alex Van Pelt may come out of retirement before that happens.

Running Back (4): Marshawn Lynch, Fred Jackson and Darius Barnes are locks. The team will keep a third tailback, and it should be rookie Xavier Omon. Dwayne Wright’s case of fumbleitis will cost him a job.

Wide Receiver (6): Lee Evans, Josh Reed, Roscoe Parrish and James Hardy are secure. Justin Jenkins gets the fifth spot on his special teams prowess. I think Steve Johnson showed enough last night to have the team keep a sixth. He’s also improved on special teams, a must for bottom of the depth chart receivers. Don’t count on Felton Huggins being on the practice squad. He won’t make the final roster and the bet here is another team signs him to their roster.

Tight End (3): Robert Royal is the starter and Derek Schouman and his bad knee is the backup. Then it gets dicey. Last season the Bills kept four tight ends and no fullback. With Barnes on the roster the team probably carries only three. Derek Fine is a rookie the team likes but could hit injured reserved with a bad thumb. That leaves Courtney Anderson or Tim Massaquoi. I’m going with Anderson with the thinking he’s the better blocker in two tight end sets.

Offensive Line (9): Jason Peters has to report at some point. Derrick Dockery, Melvin Fowler, Brad Butler and Langston Walker are the other starters and safe. Kirk Chambers and Duke Preston are locks to make the team as backups. Demetrius Bell makes the team because even if he’s not ready to play right now, he gets cut and another team will snatch him immediately. I was prepared to write off Jason Whittle as a surprise cut. That was until I saw how hideous the interior backups were in extensive action last night. Robert Felton, Nevin McCaskill and Christian Gaddis had golden opportunities and blew it. Felton and McCaskill may end up on the practice squad. Last year Buffalo kept 8 linemen. I expect nine this time around.

Defensive Line (8): Only one potentially tough decision here. Aaron Schobel, Chris Kelsay, Chris Ellis, Marcus Stroud, Kyle Williams, John McCargo and Spencer Johnson make the team. I really like Copeland Bryan as the fourth defensive end, but Ryan Denney sticks because defensive coordinator Perry Fewell isn’t confident enough in Ellis as the first end off the bench quite yet. The Bills will hold their breath Bryan can slip through the cracks and onto the practice squad.

Linebacker (7): The top five are set but then it’s anyone’s guess. Kawika Mitchell, Paul Posluszny, Angelo Crowell, Keith Ellison and John DiGiorgio won’t be losing sleep on cutdown day eve. That leaves Donnie Spragan, Blake Costanzo, Jon Corto and Marcus Buggs for one, possibly two spots, and they’ll come down soley to who’s most valuable on special teams. Costanzo was solid in that area and should make the roster. Spragan might’ve been on his way out, but the concussion Corto suffered last night may hinder his chances of making the roster. Buggs is likely headed to the practice squad.

Cornerback (5): Terrence McGee, Jabrari Greer, Ashton Youboty and Leodis McKelvin are the first four corners. If the team keeps only five, I’m going with rookie Reggie Corner over Will James. Corner had a tremendous camp and if he gets cut there’s no way he ends up on the practice squad. Another team will sign him instantly. James, despite being the veteran of the backups is in serious jeopardy. Unless the team keeps six he could be the odd man out. Dustin Fox--- we hardly knew ya.

Safety (5): Donte Whitner and Ko Simpson are locked into starting roles. Fewell loves Bryan Scott backing up Whitner. George Wilson should make the team due to strong special teams play and ditto for John Wendling.

Special Teams (3): Rian Lindell and Brian Moorman are as good as it gets in the kicking game. Chris Neil is the long snapper and should keep his gig spot, though the Bills could elect to use Wilson on long snaps in order to keep an extra linebacker or cornerback on the roster.

Practice Squad (8): Bruce Hall (RB), Johnathan Evans (FB), Scott Mayle (WR), Corto (LB), Buggs (LB), Gaddis (OL), Felton (OL) and Bryan (DE.)

Cut list: Jon Banks, Dustin Dickinson, Patrick Estes, Dustin Fox, Nevin McCaskill, Will James, Jason Jefferson, Derek Jones, Corey Mace, Tim Massaquoi, Teraz McCray, Dwayne Wright.

Its Ryan Neill im pretty sure, but the rest is about the same as I posted/feel

Comment

• Mitchell55
                only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
                • Feb 2008

Originally posted by patmoran2006

Great except for the CBs. I believe we keep all but Fox. McGee, McKelvin, Youboty, McKelvin, Greer, Corner, James. Its hard to replace any of them. James is the odd man out in that though.

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                  • Feb 2005

We keep 2 QB's... Edwards, Losman, Hamden (Baker to PS after reclaimed from waived injured).
                  We keep 4 TE's... Royal, Schouman, Anderson, Fine (A little hairy until Schouman is ready).
                  We keep 6 WR's... Evans, Hardy, Reed, Parrish, Jenkins, Steve Johnson (Huggins and/or Mayle to PS).
                  We keep 4 RB/FB's... Lynch, Jackson, Omon, Barnes (Wright cut... Hall to PS).
                  We keep 9 O-line... Peters, Dockery, Fowler, Butler, Walker, Chambers, Whittle, Preston, Bell. (Felton and/or McCaskill to PS).
                  We keep 8 D-line... Schobel, Stroud, Williams, Kelsay, Denney, Johnson, McCargo, Ellis (Bryan to PS. Neill gets cut... See below).
                  We keep 6 LB's... Crowell, Poz, Mitchell, DiGi, Ellison, Spragan (Costanza to PS).
                  We keep 5 safeties... Whitner, Simpson, Wilson, Scott, Wendling (Corto goes to IR).
                  We keep 6 CB's... McGee, Greer, McKelvin, Youboty, Corner, James (1 of our CB's gets traded after final cuts).

We keep 2 ST's... Moorman, Lindell (We add Neill back after the CB trade).
                  Last edited by Yasgur's Farm; 08-30-2008, 08:31 AM.

Comment

• Lexwhat
                    • Feb 2005

Why does everyone say we are gonna cut Jason Jefferson? If we do, we are left with only 4 DTs.

For a team that likes to rotate, 4 DTs isn't enough, IMO. If 1 of those DTs go down, which can easily happen, we are left with only 3. That's not good.

Comment

• Mitchell55
                      • Feb 2008

Originally posted by draz54
                      Hamden goes to IR (Baker ends on PS).
                      We keep Royal, Schouman, Anderson, Fine (A little hairy until Schouman returns).
                      Corto goes to IR.
                      Neill gets cut.
                      We keep 5 safeties.
                      We keep 6 CB's including Youboty and James.
                      1 of our CB's gets traded after final cuts.
                      We add Neill back after the trade.

HamdAn is injured?

Comment

• Mitchell55
                        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Lexwhat
                        Why does everyone say we are gonna cut Jason Jefferson? If we do, we are left with only 4 DTs.

For a team that likes to rotate, 4 DTs isn't enough, IMO. If 1 of those DTs go down, which can easily happen, we are left with only 3. That's not good.

True, but I havent seen many people say Nua will be cut. Maybe thats our 5th DT?

Comment

• Yasgur's Farm
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by MLynch23
                          HamdAn is injured?
                          Concussion.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Yeah that was a terrible mishap on my part, thanks for pointing it out and keeping me in line.. It was supposed to be Evans (the fullback) not Wilson.. I knew this board was useful!

Comment

• patmoran2006
                              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat

you see them keeping more than 8 DL?
                              They're DEFINITELY keeping 4 DE. IF anything, I would think there would be a 5th DE on the roster before a 5th DT.

I think Jefferson's days were numbered the second we signed Spencer Johnson. However, I"d like to note that I think Jefferson has outplayed McCargo this summer.

Comment

Working...
                              X