X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gr8slayer
    • Feb 2005

My season predictions...

I would like to start by saying that aside from popular belief I am a Bills fan first and foremost and have just as much passion for the team as the next guy. In my opinion this is one of our more solid teams from top to bottom. Having said that here's how I see our season breaking down. Teams in blue are the teams I think we will beat, red the teams I think we'll lose to.

Week One: Seattle
    Player to watch for: Patrick Kerney (DE)
    - Walker vs. Kerney will be an interesting match-up and one I will be keeping a close eye on. Kerney no longer possesses the skills to be much of a speed rusher but he is a hell of a power rusher and excels at the "dip and rip" technique. Walker is a Tackle that is not very athletic but will engulf a defender, my concern is that Walker tends to be what is referred to as a "waist bender" instead of a "knee bender." This means that someone like Kerney who is a hell of a power rusher could knock big Langston's balance off which would leave the inside rush wide open. In football, just like any sport the quickest way from point A to point B is a straight line, you might see Kerney with a lot of straight lines to the QB in this game, I have a feeling we might keep Royal in to help chip.

In the end I think we still win this game, Seattle's offense has been literally bent over by injuries to their WR corps and Julius Jones and Maurice Morris are nothing to be afraid of. Walter Jones vs. Aaron Schobel is very similar to the Walker vs. Kerney match-up and is another one to keep an eye out for.
    Final score: Buffalo 27/Seattle 17

Week Two: @Jacksonville
    Player to watch for: John Henderson (DT)
    - John Henderson vs. Derrick Dockery should be a great match-up. In order for Dockery to win this match-up he's going to have to stay lower than Henderson, which shouldn't be too hard considering his massive size. Although Henderson is an elite DT he does tend to wear down towards the end of the game and is no longer considered an every down DT. The last time these two met Henderson did an excellent job of keeping Dockery off of his LB's; some of you might be asking, why the hell does it matter? Well the job of most DT's (especially in a defense like Jacksonville's) is to keep the OL off the LB's to free up the LB to make the play. Mike Peterson (MLB), who will be healthy this year is amongst the best in the league at what he does, if Dockery cannot get to the second level it could be a long day for our running game.

In the end I don't see us winning this game. Jacksonville is the kind of team that is built to run over (literally) our Cover 2 scheme; I'd expect to see a very healthy dose of both Jones-Drew and Taylor. Word has it that Matt Jones has also finally pulled his head out of his ass and has learned his playbook for the first time since he was drafted. If he can feed off the momentum of his great off-season the better match-up might end up being Jones vs. Greer/McKelvin. Don't underestimate the heat and humidity in Florida this time of year either, I expect that to play a huge part in the loss.
    Final score: Buffalo 14/Jacksonville 27

Week Three: Oakland
    Player to watch for: Nnamdi Asomugha (CB)
    - Nnamdi Asomugha vs. Lee Evans brings us yet another excellent match-up. In this you have a BIG press CB vs. one of the fastest WR's in the game. Both are seeking new contracts and have a lot to play for this year so I would expect them both to be at their best week in and week out. I actually think this is won by Evans. Although Asomugha is a top tier CB he tends to be overly aggressive at times and will on occasion give up the big play because of it; Evans has the tools to take advantage of that and cause some chaos. Nnamdi also doesn't have the luxury of a Safety to really help him out over the top if he gets beat, he also doesn't have the speed to catch up with Evans if he does get beat.

Anytime the Raiders and Bills play I'm intrigued, two of the more storied franchises, two of the oldest owners, two of the oldest teams, etc..... Sadly it's a match-up of two teams that have been in the same boat over the past decade (minus a couple of years for Oakland) when it comes to the constant rebuilding process. At this juncture I feel that Buffalo is ahead of Oakland in rebuilding and is the better all around team. Though the Raider pose one of the better Defensive Tackles (Tommy Kelly) and one of the better Line Backers (Thomas Howard) I still think that Lynch can and will run early, often, and successfully vs. the Raiders.
    Final score: Buffalo 24/Oakland 7

Week Four: @ St. Louis
    Player to watch for: Steven Jackson
    - Steven Jackson vs. Paul Posluszny is going to be interesting because it's a match-up that is somewhat lopsided. The Rams have made it no secret that they plan to run the ball this year; we've made it fairly obvious that we plan on stopping the run this year with the addition of Marcus Stroud. I envision Stroud eating up at least two blockers in this game as the Rams are very weak in their interior line. That leaves a one on one match-up when the Rams run the ISO between Posluszny and Jackson. In my honest opinion this is a match-up easily won by Jackson; Posluszny is more finesse than he is power, Jackson is far more power and isn't afraid to drop his shoulder into a defender. Unless Posluszny can break down and stay low on Jackson I expect Jackson to break a lot of tackles in this match-up.

Because of the match-up listed above I'd expect to see us use Donte Whitner much in the same way the Cowboys use Roy Williams in this game. We really have nothing to fear against the pass with the Rams (though Holt still has a little gas left in the tank) so we can afford to put an extra man in the box. This is a game where I can see Edwards having his first "break out" game; I'm expecting something in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 TD's and 350 or so yards through the air. As it stands right now Fakhir Brown and Tye Hill are the starting CB's for the Rams, neither of them posses any threat and neither does particularly well against large WR's (which we finally have this season.)
    Final score: Bills 38/ Rams 13
  • Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: My season predictions...

Originally posted by gr8slayer
    I would like to start by saying that aside from popular belief I am a Bills fan first and foremost and have just as much passion for the team as the next guy. In my opinion this is one of our more solid teams from top to bottom. Having said that here's how I see our season breaking down. Teams in blue are the teams I think we will beat, red the teams I think we'll lose to.

Week One: Seattle
    Player to watch for: Patrick Kerney (DE)
    - Walker vs. Kerney will be an interesting match-up and one I will be keeping a close eye on. Kerney no longer possesses the skills to be much of a speed rusher but he is a hell of a power rusher and excels at the "dip and rip" technique. Walker is a Tackle that is not very athletic but will engulf a defender, my concern is that Walker tends to be what is referred to as a "waist bender" instead of a "knee bender." This means that someone like Kerney who is a hell of a power rusher could knock big Langston's balance off which would leave the inside rush wide open. In football, just like any sport the quickest way from point A to point B is a straight line, you might see Kerney with a lot of straight lines to the QB in this game, I have a feeling we might keep Royal in to help chip.

In the end I think we still win this game, Seattle's offense has been literally bent over by injuries to their WR corps and Julius Jones and Maurice Morris are nothing to be afraid of. Walter Jones vs. Aaron Schobel is very similar to the Walker vs. Kerney match-up and is another one to keep an eye out for.
    Final score: Buffalo 27/Seattle 17

Week Two: @Jacksonville
    Player to watch for: John Henderson (DT)
    - John Henderson vs. Derrick Dockery should be a great match-up. In order for Dockery to win this match-up he's going to have to stay lower than Henderson, which shouldn't be too hard considering his massive size. Although Henderson is an elite DT he does tend to wear down towards the end of the game and is no longer considered an every down DT. The last time these two met Henderson did an excellent job of keeping Dockery off of his LB's; some of you might be asking, why the hell does it matter? Well the job of most DT's (especially in a defense like Jacksonville's) is to keep the OL off the LB's to free up the LB to make the play. Mike Peterson (MLB), who will be healthy this year is amongst the best in the league at what he does, if Dockery cannot get to the second level it could be a long day for our running game.

In the end I don't see us winning this game. Jacksonville is the kind of team that is built to run over (literally) our Cover 2 scheme; I'd expect to see a very healthy dose of both Jones-Drew and Taylor. Word has it that Matt Jones has also finally pulled his head out of his ass and has learned his playbook for the first time since he was drafted. If he can feed off the momentum of his great off-season the better match-up might end up being Jones vs. Greer/McKelvin. Don't underestimate the heat and humidity in Florida this time of year either, I expect that to play a huge part in the loss.
    Final score: Buffalo 14/Jacksonville 27

Week Three: Oakland
    Player to watch for: Nnamdi Asomugha (CB)
    - Nnamdi Asomugha vs. Lee Evans brings us yet another excellent match-up. In this you have a BIG press CB vs. one of the fastest WR's in the game. Both are seeking new contracts and have a lot to play for this year so I would expect them both to be at their best week in and week out. I actually think this is won by Evans. Although Asomugha is a top tier CB he tends to be overly aggressive at times and will on occasion give up the big play because of it; Evans has the tools to take advantage of that and cause some chaos. Nnamdi also doesn't have the luxury of a Safety to really help him out over the top if he gets beat, he also doesn't have the speed to catch up with Evans if he does get beat.

Anytime the Raiders and Bills play I'm intrigued, two of the more storied franchises, two of the oldest owners, two of the oldest teams, etc..... Sadly it's a match-up of two teams that have been in the same boat over the past decade (minus a couple of years for Oakland) when it comes to the constant rebuilding process. At this juncture I feel that Buffalo is ahead of Oakland in rebuilding and is the better all around team. Though the Raider pose one of the better Defensive Tackles (Tommy Kelly) and one of the better Line Backers (Thomas Howard) I still think that Lynch can and will run early, often, and successfully vs. the Raiders.
    Final score: Buffalo 24/Oakland 7

Week Four: @ St. Louis
    Player to watch for: Steven Jackson
    - Steven Jackson vs. Paul Posluszny is going to be interesting because it's a match-up that is somewhat lopsided. The Rams have made it no secret that they plan to run the ball this year; we've made it fairly obvious that we plan on stopping the run this year with the addition of Marcus Stroud. I envision Stroud eating up at least two blockers in this game as the Rams are very weak in their interior line. That leaves a one on one match-up when the Rams run the ISO between Posluszny and Jackson. In my honest opinion this is a match-up easily won by Jackson; Posluszny is more finesse than he is power, Jackson is far more power and isn't afraid to drop his shoulder into a defender. Unless Posluszny can break down and stay low on Jackson I expect Jackson to break a lot of tackles in this match-up.

Because of the match-up listed above I'd expect to see us use Donte Whitner much in the same way the Cowboys use Roy Williams in this game. We really have nothing to fear against the pass with the Rams (though Holt still has a little gas left in the tank) so we can afford to put an extra man in the box. This is a game where I can see Edwards having his first "break out" game; I'm expecting something in the neighborhood of 3 or 4 TD's and 350 or so yards through the air. As it stands right now Fakhir Brown and Tye Hill are the starting CB's for the Rams, neither of them posses any threat and neither does particularly well against large WR's (which we finally have this season.)
    Final score: Bills 38/ Rams 13

Wouldnt Hall cover Evans?

Comment

• Lexwhat
      • Feb 2005

Nice work!!

I'm excited to see JaMarcus Russell and his monster arm vs. Trent Edwards. Although Edwards has the leg up now, it will be interesting to see how their careers unfold coming from the same draft (1st Overall pick vs. 3rd Rounder).

Comment

• gr8slayer
        • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Lexwhat
        Nice!!

I'm excited to see JaMarcus Russell and his monster arm vs. Trent Edwards. Although Edwards has the leg up now, it will be interesting to see how their careers unfold (1st Overall pick vs. 3rd Rounder).
        These are all assuming Peters is back (minus Seattle.) Burgess vs. Walker could be a bit scary and could change some things.

Comment

• gr8slayer
          • Feb 2005

I'll post four more later today.

Comment

• shelby
            The Vanilla *****
            • Jul 2002

Nice writeup, gr8.

Comment

• gr8slayer
              • Feb 2005

Sorry about that, I didn't get a chance to post them the other night, I'll get them up sometime tomorrow.

Comment

• gr8slayer
                • Feb 2005

Good start for the team thus far.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                  Visually stunning but camera-shy.
                  • Jul 2002

Did I miss the rest?
                  Originally posted by notacon
                  The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

For news, articles and other "stuff"... BillsZone.com

Comment

• gr8slayer
                    • Feb 2005

Originally posted by Cntrygal
                    Did I miss the rest?
                    No, just haven't had time to post them. I'm extremely happy to admit that I was 100% wrong on the Jags game! We kicked their teeth in

Comment

• Cntrygal
                      • Jul 2002

Do you have them handy? I don't need the write-ups (although VERY insightful). I just want to add them to the "at a glance" thread before I go out of town.
                      The biggest thing we learned from the Bills is that they are a resilient bunch and did what they had to do to win instead of past years where they fold like a cheap lawn chair.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                        • Jul 2002

Comment

• gr8slayer
                          • Feb 2005

Have it for your shortly.

Comment

• Cntrygal
                            • Jul 2002

Thanks!

Comment

• gr8slayer
                              • Feb 2005

Week Five: Arizona
                              Player to watch for: Adrian Wilson
                              - Wilson vs. Edwards will be an awesome match-up to behold; assuming it actually happens. According to the Arizona Republic Wilson is currently listed as questionable. Oddly enough Wilson is not a household name in the average NFL fans household but those of us who follow the NFL very closely know him far too well. Wilson, in my opinion, is THE best SS in the National Football League; that's not a "shock jock" type statement, let me give you some statistics. In seven years Wilson has compiled an insane 17 INT's, 16 sacks, 7 credited forced fumbles, and two TD's. A lot of people like to wrongfully throw around the term "game changing player" but Wilson is truly that. Wilson is a 6'3 230 freak of nature who can lay the wood and cover the entire field.

To this point in the season it could be argued that no QB is playing better than Trent Edwards, he looks like a guy who has been in the league ten years, not two. But this will be his biggest challenge yet in terms of secondary. Next to Wilson at FS is Antrel Rolle; Rolle came into the NFL with high hopes, he had a historic career at the University of Miami (FL) and was a highly touted first round pick. Sadly for Rolle the position he was picked to play (CB) did not work out for him very well his first three years, but he appears to have found his place at FS in the Cardinals secondary. Though he has yet to live up to his high draft pick he is steadily improving each game and will only get better.

Rounding out the secondary are Rod Hood and Eric Green. You might remember Hood's name because it was one that was thrown around a lot here when Nate Clements left Buffalo, he was a good Corner in his first year in Arizona compiling 5 INT's and 2 TD's. In all likeliness it will be a Evans vs. Hood match-up all day long, look for these two to basically equal each other out. The better match-up will be on the other side; Reed vs. Green should be quite interesting and physical, both like contact and neither is afraid of getting his hands dirty. Look for Reed to win this match-up.

In the end I feel that the Cardinals will win this game; I simply don't think that we will be able to slow down that powerful offense. Granted Boldin is likely out for this game, but Warner should be able to find some favorable match-ups in our secondary none the less. In place of Boldin will be Steve Breaston of Michigan fame; Breaston to this point in the season has been used more as a return man than anything but last week he had his "break out" game when Boldin went down and he excelled. From what I've compiled the coaching staff in Arizona has been high on him since draft day and are confident that he can fill in for Boldin without the offense missing a step. Fitzgerald vs. Greer scares me too but Greer has proven that he can hang with some of the more elite level WR's in the past.

Some other names to keep an eye on include: Jeremy Urban, Early Doucet, Ben Patrick, and Tim Hightower. One last thing to note before I wrap this up, this will be our fifth game in a row against a team that's chalk full of injuries. Three of their four DL are on the injury report, an OL, and their starting TE Leonard Pope.
                              Final Score: Arizona 38/Buffalo 24

Comment

Working...
                              X