PDA

View Full Version : Bills Name Youboty Nickel CB

Night Train
09-01-2008, 01:05 PM
No shock

http://buffalobills.com/news/news.jsp?news_id=6501

BAM
09-01-2008, 01:09 PM
That's great to see though. Let's hope he's finally ready to put it all together.

Mitchell55
09-01-2008, 01:13 PM
Im greatly proud of him. I guess hes not a bust.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2008, 01:21 PM
Ok. So we're looking at McGee, Greer, Youboty then McKelvin?

Or did Corner beat him out for the 4th spot?

It's not very good when the guy you draft in Rd1 is no better than the 4th corner on opening day. But, hey, he can return kicks well!

Ugh.

Mitchell55
09-01-2008, 01:26 PM
McGee, Greer, Youboty, McKelvin, Corner. There is no way that Corner beats McKelvin.

Stewie
09-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Leodis is a natural talent. Let him grow into the position.

Tatonka
09-01-2008, 01:33 PM
i think this speaks to how well youboty has done.. not that mclovin is doing so bad.. not all rookies are going to come in and be nate clements on opening day. People, myself included, are so quick to judge some of these young kids... maybe year 3 is when youboty puts it all together. who knows.. stuff like this happens all the time in the nfl. a good example is the browns. they draft quinn.. then anderson plays lights out and makes it impossible to sit him.. remember when brees should have been replaced by rivers.. what happened? rivers watched brees play great for 2 years before starting.. brees was not that good prior to rivers coming in.

no one knows what motivates a guy or doesn't. sometimes competition does.. sometimes a team showing faith in a guy does it.. there is no telling..

all i know is i want the best 5 guys.. and i feel confident we have that. corner played great in the preseason and camp. mclovin did fairly well too, with the exceptions of one poorly timed jump that cost us a long td.. and youboty earned, not got, earned the 3rd cb spot.

X-Era
09-01-2008, 01:34 PM
Leodis is a natural talent. Let him grow into the position.
CB is not at all like RB IMO, it takes years to develop. Nate, Antwoine, now Youbouty, none were great day one.

I just hope Youbouty wasnt giving all he has in pre-season, because it was pre-season not the real deal. But yes, he earned the right to play and hopefully show hes got what it takes.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2008, 01:43 PM
Nate Odomes played in 12 games as a rookie and started all of them.

Nate Clements started 11 games and played in all 16.

Thomas Smith started 1 of 16.

Those are the other first round corners I can remember. The best example to compare Leodis to thus far is Thomas Smith.

First round picks are supposed to play, at pretty much any position besides QB, from day 1. First round picks are supposed to be NFL ready from the get go and not be developmental prospects. Again QB is different.

Comparing Winfield, a late 2nd rounder and then Youboty, a 3rd rounder to a 1st rounder is ridiculous.

Mitchell55
09-01-2008, 01:44 PM
CB is not at all like RB IMO, it takes years to develop. Nate, Antwoine, now Youbouty, none were great day one.

I just hope Youbouty wasnt giving all he has in pre-season, because it was pre-season not the real deal. But yes, he earned the right to play and hopefully show hes got what it takes.

The only sad thing is ANTOINE (spell check) and Nate, left right after they became something. Lets hope Youboty doesnt turn into a Clements or Antoine, and then leaves right after.

Mitchell55
09-01-2008, 01:48 PM

Those are the other first round corners I can remember. The best example to compare Leodis to thus far is Thomas Smith.

First round picks are supposed to play, at pretty much any position besides QB, from day 1. First round picks are supposed to be NFL ready from the get go and not be developmental prospects. Again QB is different.

Comparing Winfield, a late 2nd rounder and then Youboty, a 3rd rounder to a 1st rounder is ridiculous.

Im not saying this from stats but, the only positition that is supposed to start from day 1 is OL. WRs never start day 1. CBs dont. I think Clements and Antoine got there starts later in the season. The developemental players are usually CBs, WR, QB, and DE. DE arent usually dominant from the start. CBs are rarely, same with the other 2.

HAMMER
09-01-2008, 01:54 PM
I prefer to look at this situation as a big positive, we are very deep at corner. McLovin will be great in due time.

Tatonka
09-01-2008, 01:56 PM

winfield was the 23rd overall pick.. that is the 1st round. and he started 2 games out of 16.

it is a valid comparison, regardless of if you acknowledge it or not.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2008, 02:00 PM
winfield was the 23rd overall pick.. that is the 1st round. and he started 2 games out of 16.

it is a valid comparison, regardless of if you acknowledge it or not.

Late first that's right, my bad.

We took the first corner off the board in the draft and he's 4th on our depth chart...and our corners aren't something to write home about as it is. This doesn't worry you at all?

Mahdi
09-01-2008, 02:13 PM
Mckelvin might be the 4th or 5th corner but he is probably the primary back-up to McGee and Greer. The Bills usually like to keep their nickel CB the same all year so Youboty would stay in the slot if anything happens to either of the starters. That would make Mckelvin the starter.

The Spaz
09-01-2008, 02:15 PM
I wonder how many 1st round picks aren't starting for there teams? Oh my god what a wasted pick /sarcasm off.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2008, 02:18 PM
I wonder how many 1st round picks, the first guy selected at each position like Leodis was, are 4th on the depth chart.

Oh wait, I'm willing to bet it's none.

Did I say he's a bust? No.

It's a little worrisome that we took the first corner off the board and he's 4th and looks extremely raw at corner.

But I guess I'm all alone in my opinion.

patmoran2006
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
i think this speaks to how well youboty has done.. not that mclovin is doing so bad.. not all rookies are going to come in and be nate clements on opening day. People, myself included, are so quick to judge some of these young kids... maybe year 3 is when youboty puts it all together. who knows.. stuff like this happens all the time in the nfl. a good example is the browns. they draft quinn.. then anderson plays lights out and makes it impossible to sit him.. remember when brees should have been replaced by rivers.. what happened? rivers watched brees play great for 2 years before starting.. brees was not that good prior to rivers coming in.

no one knows what motivates a guy or doesn't. sometimes competition does.. sometimes a team showing faith in a guy does it.. there is no telling..

all i know is i want the best 5 guys.. and i feel confident we have that. corner played great in the preseason and camp. mclovin did fairly well too, with the exceptions of one poorly timed jump that cost us a long td.. and youboty earned, not got, earned the 3rd cb spot.
I totally agree with this statement.

Bills4superbowl
09-01-2008, 02:19 PM
Im glad for ashton, MvLovin will get grow into it next year.

Mitchell55
09-01-2008, 02:23 PM
I wonder how many 1st round picks, the first guy selected at each position like Leodis was, are 4th on the depth chart.

It's a little worrisome that we took the first corner off the board and he's 4th and looks extremely raw at corner.

Its not our fault that all the CBs finally showed up when McKelvin showed up.

X-Era
09-01-2008, 02:34 PM

Ummm, Winfield was a 1st rounder, 22nd or 23rd overall, as was Nate.

And no it isn't, you wont find many if any CB's that played lights out in year one.

X-Era
09-01-2008, 02:37 PM
I prefer to look at this situation as a big positive, we are very deep at corner. McLovin will be great in due time.

We are very deep for sure.

I honestly hope that Greer wasnt a one year fluke. If he was, we may be seeing McKlevin starting sooner rather than later, whether at Nickel or fully replacing Greer. Again, thats only if Greer fails, and he was the suprise player of last year IMO.

Yasgur's Farm
09-01-2008, 02:38 PM
Congrats Ashton... You beat out the 1st CB on the 2008 board... NICE JOB!

Sounds like the future starters will be McKelvin & Youboty... Let's just be thankful that Youboty's done nothing to encourage free agency auctioning in a year or too!

Mr. Pink
09-01-2008, 02:55 PM
Ummm, Winfield was a 1st rounder, 22nd or 23rd overall, as was Nate.

And no it isn't, you wont find many if any CB's that played lights out in year one.

I'll just go with the first corner selected in each draft for the past oh, i'm bored, so I'll go 10 years...why not!

07 Revis 16 GP 16 Starts
06 Tye Hill 16 GP 10 Starts
05 Pacman 15 GP 13 Starts
04 DeAngelo Hall 10 GP 9 Starts
03 Terrence Newman 16 GP 16 Starts
02 Phillip Buchanon 6 GP 2 Starts
01 Nate Clements 16 GP 11 Starts
00 Deltha O'Neal 16 GP 0 Starts
99 Champ Bailey 16 GP 16 Starts
98 Charles Woodson 16 GP 16 Starts
97 Shawn Springs 10 GP 10 Starts

Notice a pattern here among the first selected Corner in each draft? All the good ones, outside of Nate, who people think isn't good on this board anyways, started basically every game they played.

What I'm worried about is that we drafted Deltha O'Neal. Another Corner with tons of athleticism but very raw at the corner position and an excellent returner.

shelby
09-01-2008, 02:59 PM
Good for Youboty! He definitely earned it. i was very impressed with him throughout the preseason.

Mahdi
09-01-2008, 03:20 PM

Just because Youboty has been named the nickel CB it doesnt mean he is the 3rd best CB. It means they want to use Youboty in the slot. Youboty didn't beat out Mckelvin, he beat out Will James and Reggie Corner. Mckelvin is an outside CB and if there is an injury on the outside they will put him there and keep the slot the same since it makes sense to have 1 player play the slot all year.

Mr. Pink
09-01-2008, 03:33 PM
Just because Youboty has been named the nickel CB it doesnt mean he is the 3rd best CB. It means they want to use Youboty in the slot. Youboty didn't beat out Mckelvin, he beat out Will James and Reggie Corner. Mckelvin is an outside CB and if there is an injury on the outside they will put him there and keep the slot the same since it makes sense to have 1 player play the slot all year.

Well one, he isn't a starter we know that.

Two, we don't know if he's dime back or the 5th corner.

And again, going back to my post on the top corner selected for the past decade, the good ones basically started every game they played.

That's generally the path the top corners have...like I said, I'm afraid we drafted Deltha O'Neal.

gr8slayer
09-01-2008, 04:55 PM
Well one, he isn't a starter we know that.

Two, we don't know if he's dime back or the 5th corner.

And again, going back to my post on the top corner selected for the past decade, the good ones basically started every game they played.

That's generally the path the top corners have...like I said, I'm afraid we drafted Deltha O'Neal.
If we drafted Deltha O'Neal from Denver I'll be fine, if it's the one from Cincy we're in trouble.

acehole
09-01-2008, 05:18 PM
That's great to see though. Let's hope he's finally ready to put it all together.

Yes so he can make big money elsewhere.

gr8slayer
09-01-2008, 05:23 PM
Yes so he can make big money elsewhere.
You're starting to see the trend too eh?

mikemac2001
09-01-2008, 06:07 PM
Really wish we traded him and gave up on him like so many posters thought we should...

but o well thats what you get for being optimistic

Tatonka
09-01-2008, 07:46 PM
Late first that's right, my bad.

We took the first corner off the board in the draft and he's 4th on our depth chart...and our corners aren't something to write home about as it is. This doesn't worry you at all?

i think that there are tons of good corners who were not starters right out of the gates.. i also think mcgee and greer are solid but not spectacular. Youboty and mckelvin could both be very very good. youboty had a lot of issues and clearly it took him a while to put it all together, but it seems to be happening. Mckelvin might take a minute too. who knows.. but i am not upset or concerned that he is behind 3 corners with 3+ years of experience in the league as of the 1st game of his pro career. so, no.

OpIv37
09-01-2008, 08:10 PM
Good for Youboty- he's earned his shot.

Not good for McKelvin- only the Bills would have a UDFA starting over a first round draft pick.

On one hand, it shows that the Bills often get good value out of late round picks and UDFA's. On the other hand, it shows their less-than-stellar record with first day draft picks.

Kerr
09-01-2008, 09:49 PM
I am glad for Youbouty. He really stepped up his game when he needed to.