PDA

View Full Version : We got Derek Fine Instead of This Guy

Lexwhat
09-02-2008, 02:43 AM
(Watch in HIGH Quality!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_FbC6ojKpQ

---------------------------------------------------------------

I remember a lot of people wanted us to draft Owen Schmitt. The Seahawks picked him up at the end of the 5th Round in this year's draft.

I think we'll get to see him in action this Sunday...

Marvelous
09-02-2008, 03:39 AM
I wanted us to grab the top 2 pass catching FB's in the last 2-3 drafts..
--Mainly because our QB situation has been so mediocre. ESP in the pocket & since we can't afford the luxery of drafting the elite TE's year in/out, we could use a pick outside the 1st on another dumpoff target..
---JP coulda really benifitted from a reliable recieving FB. We don't even really use FB's anymore...
---I really wanted us to nab Leonard from the year befores draft... I bet that woulda really made a difference with JP. So regardless of "unfare", i want Trent to get dumpoff targets... But...GREAT NEWS,,Trent nails dumpoffs to our RB's as it is..
--RB Fred Jackson looked awesome last year catching short passes from Trent and Marshawn caught on as well...So for me & my philosophy is that a elite FB might not be needed with Trent Edwards, But i know Drew & JP woulda flourished..Am i wrong? I mean i couldn't possibly know this & our staff doesn't right?

--I admit i did want to draft him last year. I just drafted him in "Head Coach" :p

--FYI--Robert Royal is very servicable. And a elite blocker. IMO only really good teams(NE) can draft TE's in the 1st round. OR really ******ed teams like San Fran with Vernon Davis.. Pat Moran, did you really want us to use our very high 1st rounder on a TE>? Even if the TE in mention appears to have the Capt America super soldier serium.err,,,Combine stats galore! I have a feeling we're gonna destroy Seattle this sunday!!
--sorry bout the OT ranting... Yeah i'll watch out for Scmitt sunday lol....

Night Train
09-02-2008, 04:21 AM
Fine came in Round 4. Bowen,the LB who injured his knee was Round 5.

So the Bills already had Barnes under contract with tons of needs at other positions. Picking the Youtube legend wasn't a priority.

bigbub2352
09-02-2008, 09:44 AM
I wanted to draft him so bad, sucks he isnt on this team, would have filled the FB spot with Lynch nicely,
Barnes has been a battering ram though

DraftBoy
09-02-2008, 11:47 AM
Would of been a bad pick in that spot. He went a round to high imo.

gr8slayer
09-02-2008, 11:58 AM
You can have him, I'll take Barnes.

Wally The Barber
09-02-2008, 12:11 PM
So what your point, Schmidt looks better then Fine after training camp.

Seems to me Buffalo cleaned up on their #3 pick last year!

I need to see alot more of FINE before I can say Schmidt is better!

I really don't even understand why the Bills drafted a TE anyway!

Royal and Schouman are both better then that guy.

raphael120
09-02-2008, 12:54 PM
Royal is an elite blocker!? :lmao:

justasportsfan
09-02-2008, 01:07 PM
Royal is an elite blocker!? :lmao:
in terms of blocking TE's , he's up there.

raphael120
09-02-2008, 01:14 PM

Elite is a big stretch. Average, even above average is stretching it. We need him to be a pass catching TE, and I hope he picks up where he left off in the Pittsburgh game, then we can say he's a good TE. As of right now, Royal is in the bottom 1/4 of TE's because he's one dimensional.

justasportsfan
09-02-2008, 01:15 PM
Elite is a big stretch. Average, even above average is stretching it. We need him to be a pass catching TE, and I hope he picks up where he left off in the Pittsburgh game, then we can say he's a good TE. As of right now, Royal is in the bottom 1/4 of TE's because he's one dimensional.

No doubt he needs to be a catching TE but that wasn't what I was talking about was it? He's one of the top blocking TE's in the league. Whether that makes him elite or not is a matter of opinion. NO one is saying he blocks like a top OL.

raphael120
09-02-2008, 01:18 PM
No doubt he needs to be a catching TE but that wasn't what I was talking about was it? He's one of the top blocking TE's in the league. Whether that makes him elite or not is a matter of opinion. NO one is saying he blocks like a top OL.
What makes you say that he's one of the top blocking TE's? How do you measure that?

That's like saying Vince Young is the best scrambling QB...he still doesn't do what he should to complete his game by being an accurate passer which is what a QB's main job is to do.

justasportsfan
09-02-2008, 01:20 PM
What makes you say that he's one of the top blocking TE's? How do you measure that?

I thought you'd know since you laughed at the thought of him being an elite blocking TE.

raphael120
09-02-2008, 01:24 PM
I thought you'd know since you laughed at the thought of him being an elite blocking TE.

Well I thought you'd know because you started to disagree with my assessment. Goes both ways, friend.

Jan Reimers
09-02-2008, 01:26 PM
Neither Schmitt nor Fine has played a regular season game. It is about 3 years premature to say which one is better.

justasportsfan
09-02-2008, 01:47 PM
Well I thought you'd know because you started to disagree with my assessment. Goes both ways, friend.
it's been stated that that is his biggest strength when we brought him in from the deadskins. At least I have something. ;)

Lexwhat
09-02-2008, 03:48 PM
it's been stated that that is his biggest strength when we brought him in from the deadskins. At least I have something. ;)

By who? The Bills Front Office?

Lexwhat
09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
You can have him, I'll take Barnes.

I dont mind Barnes as a blocker, but he's too 1-dimensional. In 66 games (6 seasons), he's caught 14 passes for 87 yards and 1 TD. Over that same time, he's rushed 5 times for 10 career yards.

Schmitt is one of the very few players that I followed in college. He can block just as well as Barnes can, and will probably be a better rusher/receiver than Barnes.

I just think we could have had more options with Schmitt at FB than Barnes.

gr8slayer
09-02-2008, 03:54 PM
Neither Schmitt nor fine has played a regular season game. It is about 3 years premature to say which one is better.
I'll take Fine myself; though I don't think he'll wind up being much to get excited about either.

Lexwhat
09-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Would of been a bad pick in that spot. He went a round to high imo.

If he turns out to be a better pro than Derek Fine, would it matter? At least we would get some value at that slot.

By the way, what's your outlook on Derek Fine as a pro?

PECKERWOOD
09-02-2008, 04:09 PM

He is an elite blocker at TE, no question about it. However, I will say that Royal is a below average pass catching TE, though, making him average.