PDA

View Full Version : Assuming Peters' issue is Money

ghz in pittsburgh
09-02-2008, 09:50 AM
I'm still finding it a bit unusual in this whole Peters holdout saga, but let's assume it is about money. We need to dig a little deeper here.

First I think it's Peters, not his agents. The guy has changed his agents 3 times. Clearly no one has a special bond to him. So it's about money. And it's always the next guy coming in promising more money.

There is nothing wrong wanting money. All of the great ones want money. The important thing for an investing party, in this case the Bills, is to look for CONSISTENT performances for the money invested. History tells us that we'll be looking for someone who has the talent AND drive.

Peters has that talent, unique talent for a tackle. Does he has the drive. Yes - money. He opted out for the draft a year too early because of NFL money lure. he bucked his lazy attitude working out in campus because he went undrafted. He willingly switched to tackles because there is a lot of money to be paid to tackles. But does he has the drive to be the best? Does he really have that love of the game to keep him maintaining or bettering himself career long?

Say what you want about Bruce Smith missing summer camps and wanting more money. I think the infamous Chuck Dickerson had that most accurate quote on him - "lovin that (the game) too much to be on the sideline." Brett Favre may be better staying retired. But the adrenalin of playing on Sunday is raging too hard for him even at 39. Merriman may be stupid, but you can't question his love of the game. Owens can be a really d1ck inside & outside the lines, but he will drag himself onto the field whenever he can (and allowed), injured or not.

As a management, I have no problem making big long term offers for those guys because I know they have the talent and they really love the game to keep them working their best to play in it.

Peters, on the other hand, stands to miss several regular season games right now. Playing on Sunday appears to be nothing more than hauling home a big pay check on Monday. The motivation to be better comes from earning another contract. That is fine in general, but I'm not sure he'll be my team's cornerstone.

The Spaz
09-02-2008, 09:52 AM
I am beginning to think he is mentally unstable.

Bravo82
09-02-2008, 10:11 AM
I am beginning to think he is mentally unstable.

maybe he just doesnt want to play anymore.....

Saratoga Slim
09-02-2008, 10:59 AM
I'm still finding it a bit unusual in this whole Peters holdout saga, but let's assume it is about money. We need to dig a little deeper here.

First I think it's Peters, not his agents. The guy has changed his agents 3 times. Clearly no one has a special bond to him. So it's about money. And it's always the next guy coming in promising more money.

There is nothing wrong wanting money. All of the great ones want money. The important thing for an investing party, in this case the Bills, is to look for CONSISTENT performances for the money invested. History tells us that we'll be looking for someone who has the talent AND drive.

Peters has that talent, unique talent for a tackle. Does he has the drive. Yes - money. He opted out for the draft a year too early because of NFL money lure. he bucked his lazy attitude working out in campus because he went undrafted. He willingly switched to tackles because there is a lot of money to be paid to tackles. But does he has the drive to be the best? Does he really have that love of the game to keep him maintaining or bettering himself career long?

Say what you want about Bruce Smith missing summer camps and wanting more money. I think the infamous Chuck Dickerson had that most accurate quote on him - "lovin that (the game) too much to be on the sideline." Brett Favre may be better staying retired. But the adrenalin of playing on Sunday is raging too hard for him even at 39. Merriman may be stupid, but you can't question his love of the game. Owens can be a really d1ck inside & outside the lines, but he will drag himself onto the field whenever he can (and allowed), injured or not.

As a management, I have no problem making big long term offers for those guys because I know they have the talent and they really love the game to keep them working their best to play in it.

Peters, on the other hand, stands to miss several regular season games right now. Playing on Sunday appears to be nothing more than hauling home a big pay check on Monday. The motivation to be better comes from earning another contract. That is fine in general, but I'm not sure he'll be my team's cornerstone.

Good post. I think that Peters' skill set is the answer at LT--he's a great player.

I agree that it seems like he's motivated primarily by cash, but actually have no real problem with that, so long as his quality of play doesn't deteriorate once he gets the bigger, new contract he's looking for. Thus far, he seems like a guy who (the current standoff notwithstanding) has done everything asked of him, and who doesn't take plays off etc. Not sure that I'm really worried about him tanking it once he gets paid.