PDA

View Full Version : We have Marv to thank...again

northernbillfan
09-03-2008, 09:28 AM
Thanks Marv for the great foundation you gave us fans to root for.

You cleaned up Donahoe's mess and built a great team with your expertise and knowledge of what makes a great football player.

It is becuase of you we are excited once again for a season to start and not going through the motions of false hopes as we did in the Donahoe years.

justasportsfan
09-03-2008, 09:30 AM
I will thank him once the winning results are in.

Should Marvs annointed one Dick Jauron fail, the foundation MArv built could be torn down by the new HC.

Jan Reimers
Amen. I think this is the year it all comes together.

njsue
:bow: to Marv Levy.

The King
09-03-2008, 09:34 AM
He certainly did, and he did it quick as well. TD was all about skill players and for the most part just ignored the lines while he was here. Marv was able to find balance is acquiring the two.

don137
09-03-2008, 09:37 AM
While Marv was not perfect (what GM is perfect), he was able to build a nice foundation given his limited resources compared to other teams.
While no one knows for certain the team will take it to the next level there obviously is enough fans to believe in the team based on the season ticket base and how excited the non-pessimists are going into the season.

northernbillfan
09-03-2008, 09:54 AM
Even the pessimists are a little excited... deep down inside. THey just wont admit it

gr8slayer
09-03-2008, 09:55 AM
Talk to me after we win a ring. Then I'll thank him.

madness
09-03-2008, 09:58 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

7-9 the first two seasons of a complete rebuild of a franchise? That rarely happens in the NFL. If the Bills make the playoffs, it's safe to say Marv would have just *****-slapped all the haters and doubters in one shot.

The last buffalo fan
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
:bow: Marv :bow: :gobills:

gr8slayer
09-03-2008, 10:02 AM
I've said it before and I'll say it again.

7-9 the first two seasons of a complete rebuild of a franchise? That rarely happens in the NFL. If the Bills make the playoffs, it's safe to say Marv would have just *****-slapped all the haters and doubters in one shot.
Making the playoffs is easy, winng a ring is impressive.

The King
09-03-2008, 10:14 AM

Marv's job is to put the tools in place. The players need to win the ring

HAMMER
09-03-2008, 10:18 AM

Making the playoffs in the AFC is NOT easy, winning a ring would definitely be impressive.

gr8slayer
09-03-2008, 10:22 AM
Making the playoffs in the AFC is NOT easy, winning a ring would definitely be impressive.
Yeah, it is easy; we're one of only three teams in the entire league who hasn't made the playoffs in the past eight (?) years.

justasportsfan
09-03-2008, 10:29 AM
Marv's job is to put the tools in place. The players need to win the ring

coaches are part of Marv putting the tools in place. Coaches have to put the player in situations to win the ring.

The jury is still out on Dick. If Dick didn't screw up with fairchild, we wouldn't have wasted 2 years. But thats okay, we gave him 3 years. He's still on schedule. He better have gotten it right with Turk or his 3 years are up and only then can we start either thanking Marv of cussing him.

He used the same blueprint he used in the 90's when it comes to building a team. Problem is, did he hire the right foreman (Dick)

raphael120
09-03-2008, 10:37 AM
Marv is no better than Donadope as a GM if we don't either get 10 wins or make the playoffs this year. Sure Marv had a different approach, but in the end, if we're mediocre again, the end result is the same: Horse ****.

Philagape
09-03-2008, 10:38 AM
This team has a LOT of proving to do to say that it is "great."

As of right now, they're still 7-9. Anything better is yet to come, therefore any gratitude is way too premature.

HHURRICANE
09-03-2008, 10:43 AM
Thanks for:

Peerless Price
Larry Tripplett
Dwayne Wright
Anthony Hargrove
Aaaron Merz
Tutan Reyes
Craig Nall
Matt Bowen

and the many other non-contributors.

Marv is a great coach and motivator so I think his overall benefit was positive. I'm not really sure that he should be given credit for resurrecting the franchise. He made his share of mistakes and how you ever let Nate Clements walk without getting anything is amazing.

northernbillfan
09-03-2008, 05:43 PM
...and how you ever let Nate Clements walk without getting anything is amazing.Is that Marv's fault or Ralph's fault for not ponying up the cash?

OpIv37
09-03-2008, 05:46 PM

You cleaned up Donahoe's mess and built a great team with your expertise and knowledge of what makes a great football player.

It is becuase of you we are excited once again for a season to start and not going through the motions of false hopes as we did in the Donahoe years.

This post is premature ejaculation.

Obviously he cleaned up Donahoe's mess, but we have no idea if he built a great team yet or not.

We have to win something first. So far, all we have are back to back 7-9 seasons and you call that a "great foundation"? You need to work on your definition of great. This is exactly what I'm talking about when I say Bills fans have accepted mediocrity.

BAM
09-03-2008, 05:47 PM

This is the most excited I've been in 3 years!

Mitchy moo
09-03-2008, 05:48 PM
Viva la Marv!!

SquishDaFish
09-03-2008, 06:16 PM
:clap:

Oaf
09-03-2008, 06:21 PM
Even the pessimists are a little excited... deep down inside. THey just wont admit it

Seriously? Everyone is "excited" for the start of an NFL season. Everyone feels it in the air, this electricity that this is the year, this is the year we go to "X" destination. That this season is different from right before 2003, 2005, and 2007 is ludicrous. I'm hyped up, but it's no different from any other season and that why this thread sucks.

What's TD's average wins per season compared to Marv's? I'd guess around the same.

Amen. I think this is the year it all comes together.

And how is this different from September 03 05 and 07?

:bow: to Marv Levy.

This is as homer as it gets.
Sorry, but I'm not gonna worship this guy like some idol until, and probably not even if, we get a playoff run. The blind man doesn't care about silver lining or youthful exuberance, potential, or overall niceness. He cares about wins and the Marv era has yet to distinguish itself from the Donohoe era.

northernbillfan
09-04-2008, 08:09 AM
Oaf, you killed a great toast to Marv thread.

HHURRICANE
09-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Is that Marv's fault or Ralph's fault for not ponying up the cash?

It's Marv fault for agreeing not to franchise his ass. We could have franchised him and than traded him and got something out of it. No money needed, just brains.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2008, 10:23 AM
I honestly think Marv's tenure as GM was a figurehead. I don't think he had much to do with personel or contract decisions.

njsue
09-04-2008, 10:27 AM
Marv has a good eye for great talent for example Steve Tasker.

:bow: Marv Levy

justasportsfan
09-04-2008, 10:30 AM
Marv has a good eye for great talent for example Steve Tasker.

:bow: Marv Levy

Polian was responsible for bringing in the talent in the 90's sb team. MArv's job was calling the shots on the field.

Marv was against Cornelius Bennet. He admitted he was wrong.

madness
09-04-2008, 12:18 PM
Polian was responsible for bringing in the talent in the 90's sb team. MArv's job was calling the shots on the field.

Marv was against Cornelius Bennet. He admitted he was wrong.

Yes Polian brought in the talent but he has gone or record saying Marv was responsible for helping him learn how to evaluate players.

patmoran2006
09-04-2008, 12:24 PM
I honestly think Marv's tenure as GM was a figurehead. I don't think he had much to do with personel or contract decisions.
Well said my friend.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2008, 12:25 PM
What do we have to thank him for the first time by the way? He was outcoached in all 4 superbowls....

OpIv37
09-04-2008, 12:50 PM
What do we have to thank him for the first time by the way? He was outcoached in all 4 superbowls....

I see your point, but at the same time he's the only coach we've had that's been good enough to even get us to the Super Bowl. It sucks that he got outcoached 4 years in a row. But this is Buffalo- those 4 losses are all we've got. Marv gave us a team that was dominant for the better part of a decade, except when it mattered most- which is still far better than the decade of mediocrity we're currently in.

THATHURMANATOR
09-04-2008, 12:56 PM
Polian gave us that team. I could have coached it.