PDA

View Full Version : Larry Quinn is now a minority owner of the Buffalo Sabres!

Michael82
09-03-2008, 02:34 PM
:ill:

Buffalo Sabres owner B. Thomas Golisano announced today that Larry Quinn, Sabres Managing Partner, and Dan DiPofi, Chief Operating Officer, have been granted minority ownership in the Buffalo Sabres and their related companies.

Golisano stated “this announcement marks the culmination of a process that really goes back to my original acquisition of the franchise in 2003. Both Larry and Dan were instrumental with regard to my purchase of the Sabres and continue to be an important part of the organizations success today”.

Quinn and DiPofi’s ownership interest was unanimously approved by the NHL Board of Governors this past June.

http://sabres.nhl.com/team/app/?service=page&page=NewsPage&articleid=381085

THATHURMANATOR
09-03-2008, 02:44 PM
This doesn't bother me at all. You guys act like Quinn is out to sabotage the team.

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2008, 03:26 PM
He might not be out to do it, but he is a giant bag of douche.

Philagape
09-03-2008, 03:28 PM
This doesn't bother me at all. You guys act like Quinn is out to sabotage the team.

He's so good at sabotage, it happens when he doesn't even try.

Dr. Lecter
09-03-2008, 03:30 PM
Quinn is to sports teams what GWB is to a country: They destroy without trying and just by a presence.

SabreEleven
09-03-2008, 03:33 PM
This team will NEVER win the Stanley Cup as long as Larry Quinn is involved... so I guess we are screwed for years to come.

Michael82
09-03-2008, 03:50 PM
This team will NEVER win the Stanley Cup as long as Larry Quinn is involved... so I guess we are screwed for years to come.
:sigh: It's sad that Golisano has made that idiot his right hand man and pretty much given him the keys to the team. :ill:

Ebenezer
09-03-2008, 03:53 PM
If Quinn has been the "managing partner" than hasn't he been a minority owner all along?

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-03-2008, 05:01 PM
Quinn is also the head man of the Erie Canal Harbor Development Corporation, and Quinn was the one that got the ball rolling on the demolition of the Aud and getting Bass Pro to come here.

Nighthawk
09-03-2008, 07:57 PM
The guy is a loser and always will be. This is not good news for this organization.

Myers57
09-03-2008, 09:53 PM
Give me specific examples of how Quinn has sabotaged the team because I'm not believing it.

Michael82
09-04-2008, 12:46 AM
The guy is a loser and always will be. This is not good news for this organization.
:(

Michael82
09-04-2008, 12:49 AM
:(

bigbub2352
09-04-2008, 10:46 AM
Larry Quinn was instrumental in the loss of key FA's as per stated by them, Darcy was handcuffed by Quinn when negotiating with Drury and Briere, Campbell, McKee, and others from what Bucky Gleason had to say

I have met Larry he is very much the jerk everyone thinks he is, and has been instumntal in not getting Bass Pro here, cause were is it?

Myers57
09-04-2008, 11:17 AM
Yea I work in the 200 level of the arena and have served drinks both to Larry Quinn and Dipofi. They are snobs but that does not mean that they are bad business men. Everybody likes to talk **** about them as if they know the inner workings of the organization but I want to know ACTUAL proven details of things they have done to sabotage the team.

Dr. Lecter
09-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Yea I work in the 200 level of the arena and have served drinks both to Larry Quinn and Dipofi. They are snobs but that does not mean that they are bad business men. Everybody likes to talk **** about them as if they know the inner workings of the organization but I want to know ACTUAL proven details of things they have done to sabotage the team.

Quinn is a great business man and great at marketing the team.

He is bad at hockey decisions and PR. Look at the press conference last year with he and Darcy after DB and CD left (And Vanek was matched). Darcy was not happy while Quinn acted like nothing happened. Supposedly (and I know it is rumor) they had a deal with Drury until it was shot down by Larry.

We could also go back to his first reign when he bungled the LaFontaine situation (not trading him but how he handed it) and numerous other acts.

I would love to see him here as the head business man and head marketing man. Leave him out of hocky decisions.

Myers57
09-04-2008, 11:25 AM
That makes sense. Hopefully though with a share in the ownership of the team, Quinn will have to be more focused on running and marketing the franchise, and leave the hockey decision to Ruff and Regeir.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Quinn, who spearheaded the building of HSBC Arena, eventually convinced Golisano the Sabres could make a sound financial investment when the team hit a low point during the 2002-2003 season under the ownership of John Rigas.

That advice certainly turned out to be true, with the Sabres valued at $162 million by Forbes Magazine in 2007, which is 19th of 30 NHL franchises. The value reflects an estimated tripling of Golisano's original investment to bail out the bankrupt franchise.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=60371&catid=4

How would the name Kansas City Sabres have sounded, or the Las Vegas Sabres (two city's looking for NHL franchises) or the Ontario, Sabres. The Sabres were that close to leaving Buffalo

Nighthawk
09-04-2008, 06:59 PM
Quinn, who spearheaded the building of HSBC Arena, eventually convinced Golisano the Sabres could make a sound financial investment when the team hit a low point during the 2002-2003 season under the ownership of John Rigas.

That advice certainly turned out to be true, with the Sabres valued at $162 million by Forbes Magazine in 2007, which is 19th of 30 NHL franchises. The value reflects an estimated tripling of Golisano's original investment to bail out the bankrupt franchise.

http://www.wgrz.com/sports/story.aspx?storyid=60371&catid=4

How would the name Kansas City Sabres have sounded, or the Las Vegas Sabres (two city's looking for NHL franchises) or the Ontario, Sabres. The Sabres were that close to leaving Buffalo

Please bring a useful opinion or arguement one of these times...please!!!! Stop rehashing what the organizations spits out and develop your own thoughts!!!

SabreEleven
09-04-2008, 07:11 PM
So now that they stayed here, it is ok for Larry to run them into the ground?

Nighthawk
09-04-2008, 07:25 PM
So now that they stayed here, it is ok for Larry to run them into the ground?

Beautiful, just a beautiful post! Bravo! Bravo!

Mitchell55
09-04-2008, 09:33 PM
Probably not the case, but it would be cool if he was doing this to save money to buy the bills.

cablesabres68
09-05-2008, 10:28 PM
Probably not the case, but it would be cool if he was doing this to save money to buy the bills.

Mlynch u beat me to the post i was just about to say the same thing when i read the title lol i hope him and kelly partner up and buy the bills

Typ0
09-06-2008, 12:09 AM
Please bring a useful opinion or arguement one of these times...please!!!! Stop rehashing what the organizations spits out and develop your own thoughts!!!

so unless you constantly bash the organization your opinion is useless and you can't think for yourself. That kind of argument does a great deal for your credibility.

Nighthawk
09-06-2008, 01:17 PM
so unless you constantly bash the organization your opinion is useless and you can't think for yourself. That kind of argument does a great deal for your credibility.

You're right, all I do is bash the organization! Get a clue.

BillsSabresB.C.T. Fan
09-06-2008, 02:00 PM
I found it, thanks to SabresFans.com

Transcript: Sabres Press Conference April 10, 2008

Q: Larry, I've been somewhat confused all year about what the goal is as you move forward here. Is it to make the playoffs? Is it to win the Stanley Cup? Is it to make money? What exactly is the direction of the franchise and where is it headed?

Quinn: OK. When (owner) Tom (Golisano) bought the team, I think the first goal was to stabilize a franchise that came within - I think - weeks of leaving Buffalo, and I think you all recognize that. So, what we're trying to do is first make a franchise that can pay its bills and fulfill the needs of the hockey department and stay in Buffalo. That is the overriding thing.

I think…you know, Darcy asked me this last week and I said our goal is to win a Stanley Cup. We can't…I won't suggest that we even do it that way but we're probably not going to be able to do it by going out and buying the most expensive free agents. We're probably not going to be able to do it all the time [by] going to the [salary] cap - although I want to tell everybody that here in the last three years…well, the last two years anyway….last year we were just at the cap and this year I think we were about $4 million under it. The cap is a number that is supposed to be $8 million dollars about where you should be to be economically sound. The whole basis of the Collective Bargaining Agreement is to spend about fifty-six percent of your revenues on hockey players and then you…we spent about sixty-five - almost seventy percent - of our revenues on hockey players the last two years. We've been able to keep ourselves in the black because, quite frankly, we operate very efficiently here and we've got tremendous support from our fans.

I think, to set the record straight, the viability of the franchise has to come from the revenues being more than the expenses. With the possible exception of a Tom Golisano or somebody else wanting to write checks to something because it's a hobby which is….Tom can do it. I don't think there's any question that he can do it - and he has done it. He's invested $20 million dollars in losing seasons here before the Collective Bargaining Agreement. But, in the long term, the franchise has to stand on its own two feet and that's the best way for all of us to ensure that this continues here forever.

http://www.sabresfans.com/articles.asp?id=2214&ref=76

SabreEleven
09-06-2008, 03:42 PM
I read this this way....

I think…you know, Darcy asked me this last week and I said our goal is to win a Stanley Cup. We can't…

He is a ****ing genius...

I think, to set the record straight, the viability of the franchise has to come from the revenues being more than the expenses.

Thanks for finding that LW and not taking credit as your own :up: but his whole **** is just another ****ing spin by Larry. Larry just say it "Buffalo is just to small of a market to win a Stanley Cup and I'm too stupid to figure out how"

Nighthawk
09-06-2008, 06:07 PM
I read this this way....

I think…you know, Darcy asked me this last week and I said our goal is to win a Stanley Cup. We can't…

He is a ****ing genius...

I think, to set the record straight, the viability of the franchise has to come from the revenues being more than the expenses.

Thanks for finding that LW and not taking credit as your own :up: but his whole **** is just another ****ing spin by Larry. Larry just say it "Buffalo is just to small of a market to win a Stanley Cup and I'm too stupid to figure out how"

Another good post! I think the biggest thing that bothers me about Quinn is his assumption that all the fans are stupid and don't really see what is going on.

Typ0
09-06-2008, 10:17 PM
What is going on though? this club is talented. They have been close on several occassions. They have been to the finals. I'm pissed we lost Drury too but how do you know they could have done something about that?

SabreEleven
09-06-2008, 10:38 PM
We were close to the finals and have taken too many steps backwards and none forward. That is what's going on.

Typ0
09-06-2008, 10:58 PM
We were close to the finals and have taken too many steps backwards and none forward. That is what's going on.

But we were in the finals and took some steps backwards too...and we got back close to there again. This club has not been consistently mediocre despite nearly going bankrupt and leaving town. We have a fine young group of guys. I think we have to give them a chance because it hasn't been all crap.

blackonyx89
09-08-2008, 10:30 AM
Quinn is to sports teams what GWB is to a country: They destroy without trying and just by a presence.

That sounds like Isaiah Thomas, that guy destroys everything he touches.