X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • The Spaz
    • Mar 2003

Unpredictable defense

In the spring defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said that he had made his defensive scheme more complex, feeling he could put more on the plate of his players now in year three of the system.

SS Donte Whitner confirmed today that the scheme is more varied which will make Buffalo's defense far more unpredictable than it has been. And some of the tidbits that Whitner provided leave me very intrigued to see just what they put out on the field Sunday. Here's what he had to say.

"With the additions we’ve made this offseason it will allow us to play some man-to-man in the secondary and get pressure up front. We’re going to do a lot of different things. It is complex. We’ve added a lot of things. I wouldn’t call us only a Tampa-2 defense. Now we have a couple of things mixed in from different systems, with some 3-4, 4-3, some zone blitz, some Tampa-2, some quarters (coverage). A lot of different things we’re playing now so we’re not so predictable and teams don’t know where we’re coming from and what we’re doing.”

I have to admit that a 3-4 look didn't cross my mind, but with a player like Stroud to put at the nose and a player like Spencer Johnson who could handle playing end in a 3-4, I think the Bills would be capable of rolling that look out there if they wanted to in a given week. Donte's comment really got me eager to see just what the defense has in store for this season.

• Mitchell55
    only another 1000 mocks due by tomorrow!
    • Feb 2008

Re: Unpredictable defense

Originally posted by The Spaz
    In the spring defensive coordinator Perry Fewell said that he had made his defensive scheme more complex, feeling he could put more on the plate of his players now in year three of the system.

SS Donte Whitner confirmed today that the scheme is more varied which will make Buffalo's defense far more unpredictable than it has been. And some of the tidbits that Whitner provided leave me very intrigued to see just what they put out on the field Sunday. Here's what he had to say.

"With the additions we’ve made this offseason it will allow us to play some man-to-man in the secondary and get pressure up front. We’re going to do a lot of different things. It is complex. We’ve added a lot of things. I wouldn’t call us only a Tampa-2 defense. Now we have a couple of things mixed in from different systems, with some 3-4, 4-3, some zone blitz, some Tampa-2, some quarters (coverage). A lot of different things we’re playing now so we’re not so predictable and teams don’t know where we’re coming from and what we’re doing.”

I have to admit that a 3-4 look didn't cross my mind, but with a player like Stroud to put at the nose and a player like Spencer Johnson who could handle playing end in a 3-4, I think the Bills would be capable of rolling that look out there if they wanted to in a given week. Donte's comment really got me eager to see just what the defense has in store for this season.

http://buffalobills.com/blog/index.jsp?blogger_id=1

Wait, so Schobel, Stroud, and Johnson on the line with Digi, Pos, Mitchell, and Crowell at LB. Sounds good to me.

Comment

• Mitchy moo
      Roways rooking ahread!
      • Sep 2005

We had vanilla for 3 years now, I want Jimmies.

Comment

• Mitchell55
        • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Skooby

2 years. We were a top defense before we let Spikes and Fletcher go.

Comment

• Mitchell55
          • Feb 2008

Originally posted by Skooby

Please read pm.

Comment

• jamesiscool
            suck it fool.
            • Feb 2007

With stroud Spencer and kelasy as the front three and Schobel Mitchell crowell and poz standing up? That sounds scary and pretty damn exciting to me.
            Sec 241 row 12 seat 23

Comment

• yordad
              • Dec 2007

There are so many combinations, and our personal is so versatile, it is looking really good..... on paper. I hope this stuff materializes, and I don't see many reasons why it wouldn't. With the exception of a few spots, we have pretty good depth too.
              "Heck, now I am glad his overrated arce made the pro bowl, else we would have only got a 3rd." ~ yordad

"I've just been hit with a piece of sky. " ~ yordad

"Forgive my opinion, but...." ~ yordad

"Warning: I might be hammered." ~ yordad

"I don't care if the word is "your" or "you're", so buzz off. Its (it's) a frickin(') message board." ~ yordad

Comment

• jamze132
                • Jun 2003

I am expecting a serious jump from 30th this year. I would like a top 10 please.

Comment

• njsue
                  Jersey Girl!!!!!!
                  • Sep 2003

Prediction that Pozilla leads the league in tackles.

Comment

• Owen DeBoard
                    • Sep 2007

Originally posted by MLynch23
                    2 years. We were a top defense before we let Spikes and Fletcher go.
                    Actually we were a top defense before we let Pat Williams and Sam Adams go.
                    To be the man you got to beat the man!

Comment

• Kerr
                      Hall of Fame Zoner
                      • Feb 2005

This is great. We saw a preview of this against Dallas last season and it gave romo a headache. I still can't believe they lost. Anyway, I'm guessing schobel will be playing the "predator" position. Ellis could thrive in these packages as well.

Comment

Working...
                      X