PDA

View Full Version : Rosenhaus' big lie...

itsandthings
04-27-2003, 08:43 AM
Here's the link:

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/sfl-hyde27newapr27,0,4703709.column?coll=sfla%2Dsports%2Dfront

Here's the story:

The big lie began whenever Drew Rosenhaus answered one of his four cell phones these past two months, selling Willis McGahee to reporters as some medical miracle, telling NFL teams which rival worked him out last and guaranteeing everyone his client was a set-in-stone No. 1 draft pick, something the agent didn't believe himself.

Even at the road's end Saturday, everyone was played for a stooge. Rosenhaus sat in his waterside home beside McGahee, just seconds from going live on ESPN as they still sweated where the draft would land them.

Suddenly, McGahee's cell phone rang. The running back's face twisted upon seeing the incoming number.

"Yeah, it's me," Rosenhaus mumbled into his phone, looking straight ahead into the TV camera with a pasted-on smile. "Pretend I'm an NFL team calling you. Look happy."

McGahee kept the phone to his ear.

"Maybe we can get some team that's watching to think we're talking to other teams," Rosenhaus said as ESPN displayed them on the screen.

It was all so staged you didn't know whether to scoff or laugh, hiss or applaud, call Rosenhaus a slimeball or a super agent. And this is how it was since February. It's how he manipulated the McGahee market to the point that when Buffalo made McGahee a first-round millionaire and the story of the draft, there were actually two stories.

First, there was the story everyone knew, the one that began with the University of Miami star blowing out his knee in the national championship game against Ohio State. Who didn't feel for him? And pity his lost draft status from top-three pick to projected fourth-rounder? And who wasn't impressed by his hard work after surgery or enjoy his cry for joy after Buffalo took him?

"Go ahead, let it out," his mother said, wiping a tear as it rolled down his cheek.

"Oh, man, oh, man," he said as the tears fell.

Then there was the story no one saw. The story of the big lie. It was the one where he created an image of desire out of thin air. He began by working the media like putty, playing off a writer's or camera's natural willingness to trade access for a feel-good story.

"Everybody bought into this idea he was making a miraculous recovery," Rosenhaus said after the draft. "The media made it easy -- made it so easy -- by repeating what I was saying about him being a first-round pick. Remember, I guaranteed in February he'd be the first running back taken [he was]."

How much of that was just hopeful hot air?

"A lot of it," he said.

Oh, there were serious doubts where it mattered. Let's note that. At the Indianapolis combine, for example, a few team doctors huddled together in a rare moment of note-comparing. "Why's all this being written about him walking without a limp and being way ahead of schedule?" one asked.

"His knee looks like you'd expect -- a train wreck," another said.

Still, the headlines sparked talk. And the talk created a fans' debate. And that environment allowed teams to consider McGahee not as a risk but a reward. And Rosenhaus kept fanning every exaggerated angle.

One example: It was true New England coach Bill Belichick came to Miami and personally worked out McGahee, as Rosenhaus phoned in and everyone reported from New England to, well, the Sun-Sentinel ("McGahee Fit Enough For Tryout With Pats" read the April 3 headline).

"What I didn't tell everyone was Belichick was down to work out six Miami players and Willis was just one of them," Rosenhaus said. "So the perception was Belichick was here just for McGahee. See how it worked?"

He did it again when New England and Washington had their trainer examine McGahee. And he called ESPN, which featured McGahee's recovery before the draft -- "A miraculous recovery," Chris Berman called it Saturday.

His physical therapist, Ed Garabedian, watched and said, "The knee's ahead of schedule. But he's got a lot of work ahead of him. It's a long-term deal, not short-term."

Meanwhile, Rosenhaus watched the ESPN debate with glee. "This is great, believe me," he said to McGahee's silent mother. "The fact they're talking about him and we're at the 19th pick is terrific. Someone's going to grab him."

He then coached McGahee on what to say on ESPN to encourage a team to pick him: "Say everything's going great, that whatever team picks you is going to get their money out of you."

Then he pulled the phone trick, calling McGahee just before going on the air. After which, his lieutenant and brother, Jason, said, "That probably got a couple teams nervous."

"May have," Drew said.

Did any of this sway Buffalo into grabbing McGahee with the 23rd pick, a position not even mentioned weeks ago? Buffalo never checked McGahee's knee beyond the two NFL-scheduled dates. Never had a personal workout. Never called his doctor, his physical therapist or Rosenhaus.

Maybe it was playing a silent game of its own. Or maybe in a stage full of stooges, it just became the final one.

"Maybe they saw Belichick's interest and grabbed Willis," Rosenhaus said

itsandthings
04-27-2003, 08:47 AM
Sounds like a good move. Alienate your franchise back to take a guy with 3 blown ligaments in his knee with 1st round money.

DraftBoy
04-27-2003, 08:54 AM
Honestly I dont care if his agent is a slime ball or not. The kid can straight up play football. Plus he was on the phone at the 23rd pick not the 19th. Thats why they showed him on the phone and Berman said "The Buffalo Bills are on the clock and McGahee's on his phone could it be..." or something along those lines. Mcgahee used the best orthopedic surgereon in the country in Dr. James Andrews. Buffalo doctors looked at him and said the surgery was perfect. This crap about his agent, who cares?

clumping platelets
04-27-2003, 09:04 AM
It's also written by a Miami sportswriter :rolleyes: I seriously doubt that McGahee will get much $$$ in 2003, he will need to wait for 2004 for the big bucks

Schobel94
04-27-2003, 09:09 AM
I dont understand why his agent would come out and say that he lied, that doesnt make sense. And why havent we heard anything negative about his rehabilitation? If his knee is really messed up, why did our doctors clear him? That article just doesnt make sense.

justasportsfan
04-27-2003, 09:19 AM
This is reported by a So. Florida newpaper. Sour grapes.

Bert102176
04-27-2003, 11:59 AM
can't always believe what you read.

Gunzlingr
04-27-2003, 12:10 PM
I think that TD drafted him in the first, with the expectation of not paying him first money. What's he gonna do? Hold out? :D Both God and TD work in mysterious ways!

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 12:10 PM
that is one of the worst articles i have ever read.. an agent, especially a POS like Ros.. who represents alot of miami players, would not give up secrets and say negative things like that.. no way in hell.

ArcticWildMan
04-27-2003, 12:21 PM
I find it hard to believe that Rosenhaus would admit to this kind of stuff.

If any of this is true, it proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that he is the biggest slimeball of all the agents (not that I had any doubt before).

Doc
04-27-2003, 01:00 PM
Unless Rosenho got an impersonator to do that workout in Miami where he squatted 225# 25 times, I could care less what anyone SAYS. Actions speak louder than words, and even someone who hates McGahee can't deny that that was an incredible workout given he's just 3 1/2 months removed from surgery. Now had the Bills picked McGahee WITHOUT that workout having been done to prove how far along he is, I'd agree they got taken.

dolfan25
04-27-2003, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by justasportsfan
This is reported by a So. Florida newpaper. Sour grapes.

Well Drew's based in South Florida and Willis is a Canes player. Who better to write a story about Drew Rosenhaus than a South Florida writer. Don't you think it's better coming from him than a writer from Seattle? Drew's all over the place down there, I'm sure the local writers have a pretty good bull**** detector when it comes to him.

dolfan25
04-27-2003, 01:12 PM
Um I think he bench pressed 25 times and he squatted 225 10 times. The article is irrelevant to a certain extent because the Bills aren't relying on McGahee this year anyways. He's got a year to rehibilitate his knee with Buffalo so the medical "lies" if they are lies don't really matter in Buffalo.

TypicalBill
04-27-2003, 01:16 PM
do you guys really think we picked a player who is injured as our 1st round pick just because his agent said he was ahead of schedule??? the Bills must've checked him out medically with their own doctors and had a full evaluation of him before the pick...this isn't a video game, this is a franchise.

Typ0
04-27-2003, 01:53 PM
I think you guys read too much pessimism into this. The article looks to me to be saying McGahee is still a risk but not that some big cover-up has happened here. The agent really was talking about spin moves. People should be more receptive when someone is actually informing them of how the game is being played. You might not like they guy, but he is being straightforward with people. There are all kinds of tactics used in these types of circumstances. If slimeback was really trying to hide anything he'd be real quiet about this stuff. Another thing you are forgetting is he would never do that because it would ruin his credibility in the industry.

As far as the train wreck comment...take that for what it is. No matter who had that injury their knee would be a mess. But messes can get cleaned up. Locomotives have been put right back on the tracks to drive to the station. What Doc said is a good analysis. McGehee performed in that workout.

kgun12
04-27-2003, 02:19 PM
Tom Modack was just on ESPN and told the reporters to tell the agent not to flatter himself, he does a nice job for his client, but he had nothing to do with the Bills picking him. He said we have a very good group of football people working for the Bills and nothing the agents says is going to sway them one way or another.

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 02:23 PM
they actually showed a long segment on WM, and sure enough.. that POS agent was on the phone calling WM while he was sitting right next to him.. and he stated right afterwards that the intention was to stir people up.

Brian H
04-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Modrack wasn't giving the agent that much credit like someone just said!

MissBuffalo
04-27-2003, 04:16 PM
I saw that too Tatonka. I couldn't believe he admited to trying to "stir people up." :shakeno:

TigerJ
04-27-2003, 07:19 PM
After the draft, or at least after day one, TD commented that he's known Rosenhaus for 20 years, and implied that he wasn't swayed by the agent's antics. I also saw somewhere (can't recall where) that TD said he talked with Ralph Wilson on Friday and told him then of his intentions to draft McGahee, if available at #23. I think the bottom line is whether the drafting of McGahee was a mistake or a stroke of genius, Rosenhaus may have had less to do with Buffalo's selection than he would like everyone to believe.

Dozerdog
04-27-2003, 08:59 PM
Sounds like a PR piece to stir up more business for the agent down the line.

Novacane
04-27-2003, 09:22 PM
I don't think Rosenhaus had any effect in us taking WM. There was crap on the board at that time and no one would trade with us so we could move down. TD did the smart thing. Next year at this time we are going to have some nice trade bait in either Henry or WM.

ublinkwescore
04-27-2003, 09:49 PM
I'm sure we gave him a few MRIs just to be extra safe.

This pick will pan out bigtime for us - either as trade bait, or as a great running back should Henry leave, or get injured.

These radio morons are just mad because we took him before their favorite team could get their hands on him.

TypicalBill
04-28-2003, 07:44 AM
Originally posted by ublinkwescore
I'm sure we gave him a few MRIs just to be extra safe.

Thats exactly what they did...here's what out front office had to say about this:

----------------------------------
“I’ve known Drew Rosenhaus for 20 years,” GM Tom Donahoe said. “Drew does a great job for his clients. But as good as Drew does his job as an agent, he doesn’t do our job. There’s nothing that he said that had any influence on our decision. We made our decision based on the ability of Willis McGahee and the medical information that we had.”

The Bills practiced some stealth maneuvers of their own, not attending McGahee’s pre-draft workout, then muddying the waters by signing Olandis Gary and giving starter Travis Henry a contract extension.

One NFL doctor called McGahee’s knee “a train wreck,” but the Bills medical staff twice examined McGahee and his MRIs. The Bills are prepared to have him sit out this season but are convinced he will play again at a high level.

“It really boils down to the confidence we have in our medical staff,” Donahoe said.

Owner Ralph Wilson said he didn’t learn of his staff’s strong interest in McGahee until a half-hour before it was Buffalo’s turn to pick. But Wilson was all for it.

“The risk-reward with a player like McGahee, he could be a super player ... a difference maker,” Wilson said.

LINK (http://www.democratandchronicle.com/sports/bills/0428story3_bills.shtml?0428story3_bills.shtml)