• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed

This was to be the year we make our run. Year Three of Marv’s rebuilding plan. The roster is loaded with talent across the board, with pretty much none of that talent being considered over the hill.

Offensively we didn’t add anything this spring, but that’s ok because in my opinion changes coordinator was better than any personnel move. We have an intelligent QB going into year two with more experience, a RB who’s ready to explode, a big rookie red zone threat, and an OL that returned all of its starters was to be led by who many people around the league consider the best left tackle in the NFL right now.

Defensively we add two quality vets and use our first round draft pick on an athletic playmaking rookie. Stroud shores up the front four, while Mitchell was to combine with the rugged Poz and athletic Crowell to give us one of the better LB corps in the conference.

The fans are jacked up for the season, and basically sell the season out by August.

But lost in this is the one factor enough people don’t take into consideration, and I’m guilty as well. This is simply put, a piss poor run franchise from the top.

This organization seriously has no clue what it’s own identity even is. They contradict themselves constantly, and as a fan it gets unbearable.

Cases in Point.
    Jason Peters, despite clearly being the best and most valuable player on this team is sitting home. The reason? The Bills refuse to renegotiate his contract again while he still has three years remaining on it. The Bills talk about not setting a “dangerous precedent.” Well, maybe they should’ve thought about it last year before grossly overpaying Aaron Schobel, a good player but far less irreplaceable than Peters, who by the way ALSO had three years left on his deal. Talk about bad precedent? Peters may be in the wrong for not reporting, in fact he is.. But the bottom line is he’s the best player on the team, and is the THIRD highest paid OL on the team.. So to prove the point that you’re not going to hold out and get away with it the Bills insert Kirk Chambers into a starting role, and move Langston Walker, who was a revelation at RT with the Bills last year in Oakland and a disaster at Oakland the year before to LT. The team is now downgraded at two spots, so the Bills make sure they don’t set any precedents.

Angelo Crowell tries to play through knee pain, unsuccessfully over the summer. The fact he missed large chunks of camp and was only able to go in one preseason game should’ve been indication he could be headed towards surgery. But don’t tell that to this front office. He decides three days before the season he needs his knee scope, a procedure that sidelines a player from 2-4 weeks. So the Bills, angry at the timing of the surgery, PROVE that it’s 100% unquestionably personal, and they put they’re most proven LB on the Injured Reserve list, finishing him for the year. That’s 126 tackles, two sacks and a forced fumble gone from the roster. The replacement? Keith Ellison. The same Ellison that was so brutal and overmatched as a starter last year a premium was placed on signing Mitchell this spring to upgrade him. Again, the worst part? It’s 100% personal; it doesn’t take Peter King or any expert to see that. Crowell, even if he only played in 10 games this year, is miles more valuable than Blake Costanza, yet that’s exactly who the Bills signed this morning.

Plaxico Burresss runs his mouth all off-season, threatens to sit out training camp, hobbles around with an injured ankle, and gets rewarded with a $7 million per year extension. Lee Evans does exactly the opposite; lets call him the anti-Peters. He shows up to camp, doesn’t publicly say a complaining word about a contract, goes about his business, has a productive preseason and looks like a leader/playmaker. So what does the front office do? Despite saying he’s our “top priority” he heads into the season poised to play out the final year of his contract. But don’t worry, we can always pull the Nate clements move of two years ago. We can franchise him and to keep him from going ballistic, we can do it while promising not to franchise him again. Basically, we can rent him for another year while we draft someone to take his place and start all over again--- yet again.

Oh, but congrats to this years lot of pedestrian talent winners Brad Butler and Kyle Williams, who get those long term extensions.

Ralph Wilson has the fans by the balls-whether you want to admit it or not. This kind of stuff is nothing new with the Bills, and it’s not going to change. There’s nothing you can do about. Continue to buy up all his tickets, and he’ll put a team out there competitive enough to go around .500, while keeping HIMSELF economically viable. Protest the blatant uncommittment to having a championship team here, and Wilson will pull this team to Toronto faster than you can get that Darryl Talley throwback jersey off your skin.

Mr. Wilson has done this before. Remember 1998 and the Suite Box sales or I’m outta here threats? If he lives long enough, he’ll do it again.

Most people won’t say it out of respect, but since I have little respect for the man, I’ll say it. Ralph Wilson is a dirty sleazebag. He got $78 million from Toronto in revenue for this deal to have them play 8 games over 5 years. He’s got a couple dozen million more with the team that far under the salary cap.

But it doesn’t matter!! The season is sold out. He’s not going to make any more or less revenue on fans at this point. Why cave in and pay your best players Peters? Why give Evans an extension with $20 million guaranteed?

He doesn’t need to. You know why? Because if you don’t buy up his seats he’s going to move the team out of here. Maybe he’ll talk down to the city and its economy first before doing so, like he did in Toronto when the deal was announced. Anyone remember that? Remember Wilson’s wonderful comments for the city of Buffalo? Actually, I’d be surprised if Wilson can remember what he muttered himself.

Lastly, for all the Wilson lovers out there. Exactly what steps has he taken to ensure the team stays in Buffalo once his time on his enriched earth is over? Can anyone name one? Has he said publicly his desire to keep the team in Buffalo? Has he looked into selling the team? Has he looked into working with any ownership groups who’s goal is to keep the team in Buffalo?

No. You hear guys like Jim Kelly and Charles Schumer left and right talking and working on ways to keep the team here. But the very guy who owns the team, who’s nearly 90-years old, has done nothing.. squat.. zilch to assure ticket and merchandise buying fans he’ll do everything in his power to keep this team in Buffalo when he’s gone. Seriously, not one thing!

There’s your owner for you.. And at the end of the day, when you’re blaming Jauron, Peters and/or whatever players when we end up winning 6-7 games this year----- the vast majority will let Wilson skate free as usual. When the reality is when you’re a crap organization for a decade, it comes down to the ownership and leadership at the top—just ask the Bengals fans about Mike Brown.

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • Dr. Pepper
    • Apr 2008

Re: I'm seriously starting to get annoyed

i feel like i read one of these posts every day now.....

and i do think we'll win more than 7.

Comment

• RockStar36
      Dude's Little Ignorant Crony
      • Sep 2004

I'm seriously starting to get annoyed...

at threads like these being started everyday.

D & S Sports

Comment

• Luisito23
        Men Have Superbowl Gold, Legends Have Platinum Hearts!!!
        • Apr 2003

.....:
        "Expect rejection, but expect more to overcome it."
        ***Marv Levy.***

"Coach Levy is one of the most inspirational people that I have ever known."
        ***Thurman Thomas.***

"You're not going to find a more classier, down-to-Earth person away from the field than Marv Levy. He's a guy who's pretty much made me what I am today as far as a professional player and a person."
        ***Jim Kelly***

Marv Levy's Website

Comment

• ddaryl
          Everything I post is sexual inuendo
          • Jan 2005

ahh Pat I just took you off of ignore...

back on ignore later

Comment

• bills&sabresmvf
            • May 2005

Where's Jaurons' balls to say to the organization we need this guy. He needs to speak up, cause no doubt he wants to win, his job is on the line!

Comment

• patmoran2006
              Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
              • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Luisito23
              .....:
              yer right.. Some accept mediocrity and losing better than others.

Comment

• thesquirrelking
                • Sep 2003

I personally blame the midget trainer for all this franchise's woes. If only he were a couple of inches taller...

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                  • Jul 2002

You know what Pat I am with you 100%.....It is maddening.

Comment

• trapezeus
                    Legendary Zoner
                    • Oct 2004

again, i don't understand how not signing crowell when he has an injury and played it completely wrong. As a team guy he should have had this stuff taken care of during TC. This guy isn't giving the bills his full commitment. Why should the bills.

He essentially played it so he could get $1.5MM in guaranteed money for nothing but surgery and rehabbing a season and being a free agent. Well played for Crowell, not well played for the team.

This team is what it is right now. The sky isn't falling, let's see what they do and B&M based on the actual game results as opposed to trying to predict the future.

This is getting ridiculous. Let's game a game under our belts before we see how we stand.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                      Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                      • Dec 2005

If anyone wants 100%, irrefutable proof of the direction of this team, look no further than Ralph's appointment of Russ Brandon as the second in charge.

Brandon has no experience in running a football team. His expertise is in marketing. yet instead of hiring a GM who knows how to build and sustain a winning and competitive football team, we promote Brandon, who's primary responsibility is in the marketing of the team.

Promoting him this offseason instead of bringing a proven football guy at the top is living proof that Wilson cares a hell of a lot more about selling seats than he does winning football games.

Whoever doesnt get it, doesnt WANT to get it.

Comment

• THATHURMANATOR
                        • Jul 2002

You are ruining my day Pat....

Comment

• raphael120
                          Jason Peters rigorous at home training regiment
                          • Oct 2005

I started questioning my devotion to this team when Ralph came out and did his press conference about Toronto. It felt like being punched in the gut.

Now all this stuff.

I love the Bills, it's so awesome to see Jim Kelly on TV, Thurman inducted into the hall, etc etc...but it seems like more and more when I see Jim Kelly (like in the one commercial for the game last night) it makes me happy but at the same time I get this feeling that that was a time that will never happen again, and like staying in a broken marriage, you can't just look back to 8 good years when the past 10 have been horrible.

Doesn't it always seem, as Bills fans, the thing that keeps us going is the distant past? It's getting very tiring because I want to live in the now. I want to be proud of something NOW and not keep having to reminisce to feel good about this team.

Take for example the Dallas game last year, you saw Marv, Jimbo, Bruce, etc...and you saw how pumped they were and you just felt like it was back in the 90s! But I don't even want to think about that game anymore because it makes me want to jam a fork into my retina. And it's how it's been for a long time now.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do if 1. we dont get over 8 wins this year, 2. we dont resign Evans and 3. we don't handle this Peters situation correctly. I mean...what's the point in still having a team that does nothing when whether we have this team here or not, we always seem to find solace in the early 90s? We're living in the past and it seems like this team will never let fans have anything to cherish and remember NOW.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                            Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                            • Dec 2005

Originally posted by trapezeus
                            again, i don't understand how not signing crowell when he has an injury and played it completely wrong. As a team guy he should have had this stuff taken care of during TC. This guy isn't giving the bills his full commitment. Why should the bills.

He essentially played it so he could get $1.5MM in guaranteed money for nothing but surgery and rehabbing a season and being a free agent. Well played for Crowell, not well played for the team.

This team is what it is right now. The sky isn't falling, let's see what they do and B&M based on the actual game results as opposed to trying to predict the future.

This is getting ridiculous. Let's game a game under our belts before we see how we stand.
                            he could've played this year... Would you rather have Crowell for 10 games or 0 games when Ellison is the alternative..

This was 100% personal, and it comes at the expense of downgrading your football team for 16 games instead of 2-4

Comment

• trapezeus
                              Legendary Zoner
                              • Oct 2004

every owner wants to sell seats. the big owners have more to work with. a bigger base of fans will pay more for a better product. they get that in their suite sales.

Ralph is stingy in many ways, but to cry about this over crowell is laughable. crowell is good but not a game changer. ellison wasn't great but he wasn't chris watson bad.

Comment

Working...
                              X