• Show
Clear All
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Crowells placement on IR could result in release

Per PFT
    CROWELL’S PLACEMENT ON IR COULD RESULT IN HIS RELEASE

Posted by Mike Florio on September 5, 2008, 9:34 a.m.
    As MDS noted in the Frinday Morning One-Liners, Bills coach Dick Jauron said on Thursday that linebacker Angelo Crowell’s reverse-Merriman decision to have arthroscopic knee surgery came “out of the blue.”

But even more confusing is the team’s decision to park him on injured reserve, which ends his 2008 season.

Per media reports, it originally was believed that Crowell would miss only two-to-four weeks. So now the question becomes whether the Bills will choose to attempt to work out an injury settlement with Crowell or, if unsuccessful, release him from IR when he is deemed to be healthy.

It’s a $1.3 million question for the Bills. If Crowell remains on injured reserve in Buffalo, he’ll get the whole amount.

Either way, Crowell won’t be a Bill as of March 1, barring a new contract. Given Thursday’s development, that’s looking unlikely

Join the BSD FB page by CLICKING HERE

Follow us on twitter by CLICKING HERE
  • patmoran2006
    Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
    • Dec 2005

Re: Crowells placement on IR could result in release

F'n unreal this team!
    By putting him on IR before the season, and with this being his final year. They basically are cutting him and replacing him with Blake Costanza.

Comment

• historypete
      • Feb 2005

I'd be pissed if they released him. He is too good a LB to let him go for nothing. I can understand why the team is pissed at his decsion. It should have been made a long time ago. But cutting Crowell is just plain stupid and will probably come back to haunt them.

Comment

• ddaryl
        Everything I post is sexual inuendo
        • Jan 2005

he's only going to be out for 4 or so weeks.. Why would we release him

Now I guarentee after this situation the Bills will be looking very hard for a OLB replacement for next year FA and/or draft. Crowell will not get tagged, and will be allowed to look into FA.

We still have some good LB's on this roster, and Ellison is a year wiser as is Digi

Comment

• patmoran2006
          Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
          • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
          he's only going to be out for 4 or so weeks.. Why would we release him

Now I guarentee after this situation the Bills will be looking very hard for a OLB replacement for next year FA and/or draft. Crowell will not get tagged, and will be allowed to look into FA.

We still have some good LB's on this roster, and Ellison is a year wiser as is Digi
          Shouldnt we worry about NEXT year come next January?

We had several months to address things for this year,a nd we're already looking forward to next year in September?

Comment

• jimbohastle51
            All-Pro Zoner
            • Feb 2005

well if lee evens gets his extension witch i deffintaly think is happening, and i am sure jason peters will be reslolved. NO WAY they let peters go there hasnt been an elite free agent LT in our modern salary cap era. that would be like seattle telling walter jones to leave. just wont happen, unless we got like 2 first round picks out of it. so after both of them are locked up there is only going to be enough cap space in our "cash to cap" system to sign mid level talent via free agency. meaning crowell would be the odd man out. basically of the 3 we will choose evens and peters and probably let crowell walk. maybe put the transition tag on him just to see if we can get a pick but i doubt that. look for the bills to address the strong side LB position as well as TE in the first couple rounds of the draft.

Comment

• historypete
              • Feb 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006

We had several months to address things for this year,a nd we're already looking forward to next year in September?
              Why wait until January to start thinking about next year? We might as well get a head start now!

I'm already thinking draft needs: OLB, LT and WR.

This whole situation is just a compounding of everything else that is going on. The Peters situation is an absolute mess, and that is looking at it from all sides. I agree the Bills can't cave, but this no communication crap is just plain stupid. Then the Evans situation. This should have been finished. Pay the kid. He is the best WR they have. His value only increases as weeks go by. And we have more than enough cap space to do it.

It just seems every step forward this organization takes, there are always two steps back a few days later. Absolutely frustrating.

Comment

• ddaryl
                • Jan 2005

Originally posted by patmoran2006

and we are supposed to successfully predict Crowell is going to have surgery days before the season opener.

All I was saying tha Crowell's situation pretty much forces the Bills hand now.

The Bills have a real good stable of young LB's we'll be ok, but this does suck, but it shows us now Crowell isn't worth a long term commitment.

Comment

• patmoran2006
                  Ole' Ralphie SCROOGE
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by ddaryl
                  and we are supposed to successfully predict Crowell is going to have surgery days before the season opener.

All I was saying tha Crowell's situation pretty much forces the Bills hand now.

The Bills have a real good stable of young LB's we'll be ok, but this does suck, but it shows us now Crowell isn't worth a long term commitment.
                  It didnt have to force their hand.

He would've only missed the first few games according to reports.

Comment

• ddaryl
                    • Jan 2005

I have to claim I am naive this morning

I didn't know they put Crowell on season ending IR

they must be pissed oof at him for not being smart enough to take care of this sooner.

Still not pissed off at the FO, but they do need ot get someone in here

Comment

• OpIv37
                      Acid Douching Asswipe
                      • Sep 2002

Originally posted by historypete
                      I'd be pissed if they released him. He is too good a LB to let him go for nothing. I can understand why the team is pissed at his decsion. It should have been made a long time ago. But cutting Crowell is just plain stupid and will probably come back to haunt them.
                      I'm not one for defending the FO, but what choice do they actually have?

His contract is up after this year. No one is going to trade for an LB coming off surgery with at best 14 games left in his contract. Anyone who wants him will just wait til FA.

They could re-sign him, but here's a guy who struggled with this knee problem all through pre-season, then suddenly decides to have surgery 3 days before the season starts. If he needs the surgery now, he needed it a week ago before final cuts. That would have been pertinent information before these decisions were made. Basically, he screwed the team by delaying his decision on the surgery. There's no way the Bills would have kept only 6 LB's if they knew he might not be ready for the first month.

Crowell has been a soldier for us in the past, but he really ****ed us here.
                      MiKiDo Facebook
                      MiKiDo Website

Comment

• Dr. Lecter
                        Zero for Zero!
                        • Mar 2003

How did Crowell **** us???????
                        Originally posted by mysticsoto
                        Lecter is right in everything he said.

Comment

• historypete
                          • Feb 2005

Originally posted by OpIv37
                          I'm not one for defending the FO, but what choice do they actually have?

His contract is up after this year. No one is going to trade for an LB coming off surgery with at best 14 games left in his contract. Anyone who wants him will just wait til FA.

They could re-sign him, but here's a guy who struggled with this knee problem all through pre-season, then suddenly decides to have surgery 3 days before the season starts. If he needs the surgery now, he needed it a week ago before final cuts. That would have been pertinent information before these decisions were made. Basically, he screwed the team by delaying his decision on the surgery. There's no way the Bills would have kept only 6 LB's if they knew he might not be ready for the first month.

Crowell has been a soldier for us in the past, but he really ****ed us here.
                          My concern is that if they release him, he has the surgery and is good to go in 3-4 weeks, and then the Pats or Jets pick him up that could be a huge advantage to them while significantly hurting us. If we keep him on IR at least for this year we don't have to worry about a situation like that arising. Its not like Crowell on IR is hurting our cap situation or anything like that. Once a guy is released, he can be picked up and put on the active roster at anytime. Only the team placing him on IR is not allowed to activate him for the rest of the year.

Comment

• DaBillzAhDaShiznit
                            • May 2004

WHY would they place him IR when they could have just cut him?

Why pay his entire salary instead of just the prorated portion of his signing bonus?

Why is it impossible that they placed him on IR as a gesture of goodwill, to help contract negotiations?

They pay him for the year, and get a deal done on an extension in the meantime.

The truth is nobody knows what the motives are yet......give it time and we'll find out.
                            "Show me a good loser and I will show you an idiot"
                            --Leo Durocher

Comment

• Buffalogic
                              Rumblin' Stumblin' Bumblin'
                              • Feb 2006

Let's say Crowell has to be put on IR for six weeks until he is fully healed and ready to play...Can the bills release him when he is healthy and resign him for the remainder or the year to bypass having to have him sit on IR for 17 weeks? If that's the case they could get a couple good weeks from a mercenary-type LB then just get Crowell playing again...

Wishful thinking but that would be the best case scenario right now.

Comment

Working...
                              X