PDA

View Full Version : New NFL Rule

Lexwhat
09-05-2008, 10:27 PM
How will the new out-of-bounds rule impact the passing game?

The NFL changed the rule on a reception when a defender knocks the receiver out of bounds before he gets his feet down. It used to be that if the referee determined the pass catcher was going to come down in bounds, then it would be a catch. Now it's black and white, if the defender knocks you out of bounds before two feet come down it is an incompletion.

As former Steelers coach Bill Cowher and I discussed, the effect of the rule last week made it clear receivers have to work a bit further from the sidelines to withstand the knockout. The defenders, especially the safeties coming over the top, will look to knock receivers out of bounds rather than play the ball. In the end, this rule narrows the width of the field the receivers can work with by at least four yards.

http://www.nfl.com/kickoff/story;jsessionid=CD8764A2358F39B8C50D77848643025B?id=09000d5d80a8468a&template=without-video&confirm=true

VeggieMan14
09-05-2008, 10:29 PM
i cant decide if i like this or not :idunno:

The Spaz
09-05-2008, 10:49 PM
I liek it. it takes the decision away from the refs. It's either both feet down or it's not a catch. None of this he was shoved out bs.

VeggieMan14
09-05-2008, 10:52 PM
I liek it. it takes the decision away from the refs. It's either both feet down or it's not a catch. None of this he was shoved out bs.i dont like that it makes the field smaller tho

The Spaz
09-05-2008, 10:55 PM
i dont like that it makes the field smaller tho

You will just have to work harder. May be an advantage for smaller receivers.

Mad Bomber
09-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I like it. It's no longer a "judgment" call. It's crystal clear.

DBs....HIT them when they're near the sidelines!

SpillerThrills
09-05-2008, 10:56 PM
I think you will see more pass interfierance penalties called though with this new rule..... I like the fact that it makes the rule "black and white" and takes any judgement out of the refs hands as to whether he would come down in bounds or not.

VeggieMan14
09-05-2008, 10:57 PM
You will just have to work harder. May be an advantage for smaller receivers. i see it as an advantage for smaller corners... they can just push the WR out when he goes up for a sideline catch

Scumbag College
09-05-2008, 11:10 PM
In all the games I've watched the last couple of years, it seems that whenever a receiver is anywhere near the sidelines and pushed out it is ALWAYS called a completion. This is going to be big in the end zone I feel.

SpillerThrills
09-05-2008, 11:12 PM
i see it as an advantage for smaller corners... they can just push the WR out when he goes up for a sideline catch

but you'll have to remember that they'll still have to be careful of the pass interfierance.... just because it's now "legal" for them to push the reciever out, doesn't mean that they won't get penalized for doing it....

VeggieMan14
09-05-2008, 11:15 PM
but you'll have to remember that they'll still have to be careful of the pass interfierance.... just because it's now "legal" for them to push the reciever out, doesn't mean that they won't get penalized for doing it.... right but if the wideout is in the air and catches the ball they can just take the out from the legs and take them out of bounds... i kno it is easier said than done im just saying thats what i can see it becoming

SpillerThrills
09-05-2008, 11:19 PM
I totally agree with you, but at the same time like you said... easier said than done.... timing is a big part of the game and will be even bigger for the DB's now.

VeggieMan14
09-05-2008, 11:26 PM
I totally agree with you, but at the same time like you said... easier said than done.... timing is a big part of the game and will be even bigger for the DB's now. DB's will soon be the highest payed d players in the league... well they actually have already started to become that

Mr. Pink
09-06-2008, 02:57 AM
Good rule.

I've never been a fan of judgement calls by the zebras. It takes away one area of their judgement. The receiver is either in or isn't. I like it!

Besides, the game has done plenty of things to open up the passing game over the years, this one rule won't have a huge effect on the passing game...and gives the defense a little advantage after years of doing plenty of things to give the offense a complete advantage.

HughC
09-06-2008, 10:09 AM
I was surprised the NFL passed the rule, considering their emphasis on more scoring as a way to retain and attract more fans over the years. I do like the rule just for the fact that it is no longer a next to impossible judgement call by the referee. Will be interesting to see which teams and players adapt the most successfully and the fastest to the rules change. I would think it would have to take away some of the sideline, and help a smaller CB against a taller WR.