PDA

View Full Version : September 7, 1980

BLEDSOE'S BATTALION
09-07-2008, 12:38 AM
Twenty Eight years ago today, the Buffalo Bills beat the Miami Dolphins for the first time in Ten Years. I remember listening to the game on the radio because the game was blacked out. The thing that I remeber most about that game was Van Miller's voice getting higher and higher as the game went on. Van finished the game as only he could by saying "It's all over." For Bills fans at what was then Rich Stadium their release came by swarming the field, tearing the goalposts down, and bringing a section of one of them hand over hand to where Ralph Wilson watched the game. The game was the start of the career of running back Joe Cribbs,and the debut of former LA Rams Head Coach Chuck Knox.

I do not know how many Bills Fans who are 35 years old and younger realize how importiant This one victory ment to Bills players and their fans.
The Bills went Ten Years, and twenty games without beating the Dolphins. No team in the 80's, 90's or '00 has come close to accomplishing what the Dolphins did to the Bills in the 1970's. Finally The Bills accomplished what many of ther fans thought would never happen. Some believe the last loss to the Dolphins in 1979 cost then Head Coach Jim Ringo his job.

The Bills have had many accomplishments since that first game of the 1980 season. I am sure many Bills fans inculding myself hold a special place in our memories for that one day when the Bills finally "Squished the Fish"

Night Train
09-07-2008, 04:40 AM
I almost lost my hearing when Roosevelt Leaks dove into the end zone. Jeff Nixon picked off 3 passes that day. Our first win over Miami in 11 years.

Still in my top 5 of favorite games at the stadium. :up:

Meathead
09-07-2008, 06:04 AM
i carried my big stereo speakers out onto the porch and turned the volume on full blast when van made the call that the bills won - didnt want anybody in the neighborhood to miss it, or sleep through it

YardRat
09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
One of the best games I've ever been to.

lordofgun
09-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I was 2. :ill:

HHURRICANE
09-07-2008, 08:40 AM
I was at the game!!!!

christhebillsfan783
09-07-2008, 08:41 AM
8 years before i was born. lol but ive heard the story from my dad atleast 25 times.

HHURRICANE
09-07-2008, 08:43 AM
Hadn't we played the Jets the week before because I was at that game as well and I remember thinking that we could beat the Dolphins.

My dad had taken my friend and I for a plane flight that AM and than we went to the fins game. Talk about days to remember.

HHURRICANE
09-07-2008, 08:46 AM
8 years before i was born. lol but ive heard the story from my dad atleast 25 times.

:puke: I'm getting too old for this frickin site. I work out, still look good, and than I read this and want to get my AARP card at 42 years old.

VeggieMan14
09-07-2008, 08:48 AM
I was 2. :ill: i wasn't even a thought yet :ill:

Historian
09-08-2008, 04:47 AM
And The Historian was there!

Mr. Pink
09-08-2008, 05:02 AM
I was three! And probably somewhat watched the game with my dad.

Not that I remember it. :rofl:

Night Train
09-08-2008, 05:07 AM
I was 2. :ill:

I was a sophmore in College & went on an all night bender. :up:

buffalo carlson
09-08-2008, 05:09 AM
im 22 so i obviously never saw this, although i hope to someday be caring part of the goal post threw the field. that awsome that you guys can remember this, i can remember the comback and watching the superbowls with my uncle but i was young fr all that, hopefully buffao will create a lifetime of GOOD memorys for me