PDA

View Full Version : Mario Haggan!!!

TypicalBill
04-27-2003, 03:11 PM
What a steal in the seventh, outstanding value!

HenryRules
04-27-2003, 03:12 PM
I disagree ... I don't think he'll make the team.

DraftBoy
04-27-2003, 03:12 PM
Great pick, still wopuld have liked Admanson mor ethough oh well always a f/a possibility

TypicalBill
04-27-2003, 03:13 PM
2002 SEASON
All-Southeastern Conference first-team selection … Led the team with 119 tackles (66 solos), including 8 stops for losses of 17 yards, despite missing one game with a sprained ankle … Deflected a pass and had 2 quarterback pressures.
Oregon - Made his presence felt on the season's opening drive as he crashed into tailback Onterrio Smith, causing a fumble … Also registered 17 tackles (10 solos).
Jacksonville State - Caused another fumble and posted 13 tackles with a stop behind the line of scrimmage.
Auburn - Added a stop for a loss and 9 tackles.
Louisiana State - Credited with 17 tackles (11 solos), including one that stopped tailback Domanick Davis for a loss.
South Carolina - Was in on 13 tackles (10 solos) and a stop behind the line of scrimmage.
Troy State - Followed with 10 tackles (6 solos) and a stop for a 1-yard loss.
Memphis - Made 3 hits before leaving the game with a right ankle sprain.
Kentucky - Bounced back to deliver 11 tackles (7 solos) and 2 stops for minus-5 yards (tackled tailback Artrose Pinner on both plays).
Alabama - His tackle behind the line of scrimmage on halfback Santonio Beard resulted in a fumble and collected 10 tackles (8 solos).
Tennessee - Deflected a pass and made 11 tackles before re-injuring his ankle.
Arkansas - Did not play (ankle).
Mississippi - Returned to close out his career with a 5-tackle effort.

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 03:13 PM
i think he is a great pickup.. i like him a lot. i watched him several times in college.. he is a solid solid player.

DraftBoy
04-27-2003, 03:14 PM
Why take two MLB though? Unless we are going to play Angelo outside

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 03:15 PM
angelo is playing outside bud.. ingtar suggested that he will push posey.

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 03:15 PM
Mario Haggan
War Room analysis
Strengths: Is versatile; also played outside linebacker and end in college. Is most comfortable when working upfield. Shows good initial quickness and burst. Has great size. Is strong at the point of attack. Has long arms and a strong upper body. Excels at taking on blockers, shedding at the point of attack and finding ball carriers. Is very disruptive as a blitzer. Has good instincts and quickness. Slips blocks at the line and excels at tackling. If allowed to shoot gaps, can make plays in the backfield.

Weaknesses: Lack of speed is a big concern. Much better going forward than when moving laterally or backward. Plays faster than 40-time, but won't match up man-to-man with most NFL backs or turn the corner as a situational edge rusher. Hips are somewhat stiff. Struggles to instantly change directions. Is too slow when turning in coverage. Has neither the speed nor fluidity to cover in the NFL.

Bottom line: Haggan flashed big-play potential in college, but position changes and a lack of a supporting cast led to an inconsistent career. He also lacks top-end speed and coverage skills and plays out of control at times. He is at best an early second-day prospect.

Dan Pompei analysis
Has size and quickness. Sheds blockers, and gets to the ball. Has some experience at defensive end and could be moved to outside linebacker in a 3-4 scheme. Lacks speed and coverage ability.
Pompei's ILB ranking: No. 19

DraftBoy
04-27-2003, 03:17 PM
ESPN has him listed as ILB not OLB. Wasnt sure about it either.

TypicalBill
04-27-2003, 03:24 PM
Angelo is more versatile..he can handle playing inside or outside..

Haggan is less versatile...he's most likely gonna play inside.

Now we have Spoon and Haggan as MLB backups which means quality ST :up:

TypicalBill
04-27-2003, 03:30 PM
oh and NFL Draft Blitz ranks him as the 4th best ILB available in the draft ;)

NFL DRAFT BLITZ ILB RANKINGS (http://www.nfldraftblitz.com/insidelinebackers03.htm)

and it was updated 6 days ago :) so all the private workouts and the senior bowl...everything has counted in those rankings.

I think its a very good value pick

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 04:43 PM
he played inside in a 3-4 defense.. outside in our system.

TedMock
04-27-2003, 05:44 PM
he's a solid pass rusher too. not a bad pick in the last round.

TigerJ
04-27-2003, 06:31 PM
After reading about him I feel a little better. Five seconds in the 40 is exceedingly slow for a LB though. Is it ever possible for a player to upgrade their speed? Not just their time in the 40, but their functional speed in a game?

Typ0
04-27-2003, 06:38 PM
Yeah but they'll fail the piss test.

Captain gameboy
04-27-2003, 06:43 PM
I think 40 times are overrated unless excessive, which I think 5.0 is.
Quickness is more important if the 40 time is competitive. A lot of receivers have similar 40 times, 4.5-4-65, but the ones that are quick get off the DB pressures, create seperation and get the receptions. A receiver only has to be open for about a second and a half.
Same with LB's and D lineman. Take the hit and get off. We're not running track here.

Tatonka
04-27-2003, 06:47 PM
yes tiger.. don beebee actually has a school that helps players run faster .. called the house of speed or something.. they say yo u can improve your time by at least half a second.

The_Philster
04-27-2003, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by Tatonka
yes tiger.. don beebee actually has a school that helps players run faster .. called the house of speed or something.. they say yo u can improve your time by at least half a second.

House of Speed, Inc. (http://www.houseofspeed.com/)

Earthquake Enyart
04-28-2003, 07:30 AM
Two words:

Special Teams.