09-08-2008, 10:27 AM
Give it up for our HC :bf1:

Well deserved after yesterday's fantastic team performance. :up:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/peter_king/09/07/week1/4.html

Mr. Miyagi
09-08-2008, 11:12 AM
Also:

Special Teams Player of the Week
Roscoe Parrish, PR, Buffalo. Said coach Dick Jauron: "When he touches the ball, there is a buzz in the stadium. They expect him to make a big play every time.'' His 120 punt-return yards in the rout of Seattle was a club record, and his weaving, Usain Bolt-like 63-yard return for a touchdown in the second quarter was the third of his brief NFL career.

njsue
09-08-2008, 11:27 AM
Roscoe Parrish is the Bills Devon Hester :evil:

OpIv37
09-08-2008, 11:28 AM
Jauron deserves it this week. He and his staff thoroughly outcoached Seattle.

Oaf
09-08-2008, 11:40 AM
Parrish > Hester. He doesn't need to tool around in the endzone for 30 seconds before running out to score a return TD. Just as fast, almost as strong, and assuredly quicker.

njsue
09-08-2008, 12:08 PM
Jauron deserves it this week. He and his staff thoroughly outcoached Seattle.

He will do the same vs Jacksonville. :up:

yordad
09-08-2008, 12:25 PM
The special teams choices should all be Bills!

Let's see NFL fans, you can choose between....

Moorman
Parrish
Denney
Corto
Lindell

madness
09-08-2008, 12:35 PM
The Bills held the Seahawks to three of 16 third-down conversions, a measly 3.8 yards per play, and recorded five sacks with only one penalty and no turnovers. Pretty impressive, playing in midseason form in the first game of the season -- and on a wet field.

It seems like just yesterday we couldn't stop a team on 3rd down to save our lives. I hope this is a continuing trend!

njsue
09-08-2008, 10:04 PM
The Bills manhandled the Seahawks.

:bf1: Dick Jauron

gr8slayer
09-08-2008, 10:33 PM
Yeah, Jauron had this team ready to go this week against a team that we "weren't supposed to beat." Damn solid job of coaching, still needs to get Lynch more involved though.

Ed
09-08-2008, 10:42 PM
So with all the talk about re-signing players, when are we going to start discussing an extension for Jauron. He is a FA at the end of the year afterall.

gr8slayer
09-08-2008, 10:44 PM
So with all the talk about re-signing players, when are we going to start discussing an extension for Jauron. He is a FA at the end of the year afterall.
He still has a long way to go; I'd like to at least see a playoff birth first.

historypete
09-08-2008, 11:30 PM
The thing that impressed me most about Jauron is that he didn't sit on the lead at the end of the 1st half. He allowed the offense and attack the Seattle defense. Had this been last year there is no doubt he would have taken 3 kneels and walked into the lockerroom.

I hope that he keeps up that type of aggression. Let Fewell and Schonert attack the opposition, don't hold back. If he continues to do that this team will continue to win.

LABillsFan
09-08-2008, 11:37 PM
Did you see Deon Sanders name Bobby April one of his 5 prime time players of the week? I thought that was hot.

gr8slayer
09-08-2008, 11:38 PM
Did you see Deon Sanders name Bobby April one of his 5 prime time players of the week? I thought that was hot.
Deion actually mentioned last season that Jerry should go after April.

LABillsFan
09-08-2008, 11:39 PM
The thing that impressed me most about Jauron is that he didn't sit on the lead at the end of the 1st half. He allowed the offense and attack the Seattle defense. Had this been last year there is no doubt he would have taken 3 kneels and walked into the lockerroom.

I hope that he keeps up that type of aggression. Let Fewell and Schonert attack the opposition, don't hold back. If he continues to do that this team will continue to win.

I don't think he had a choice last year. Fairchild had him by the goal post and no one had the belief in Fairchild either.

historypete
09-08-2008, 11:42 PM
I don't think he had a choice last year. Fairchild had him by the goal post and no one had the belief in Fairchild either.

That is a good point. I was thinking about it myself. Its very possible that Jauron had lost all confidence in him as a coordinator, but if that is the case Jauron should have taken the extra step and replaced him, especially once it was known Fairchild was going to Col. St.

LABillsFan
09-09-2008, 12:01 AM
That was so late in the season though. Plus DJ had so much else to deal with I think he just wanted to do the best he could with what he had and use the offseason to redefine the team.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-09-2008, 02:44 AM
Jauron did an excellent job of getting the team ready this week and definitely deserves consideration for Coach of the Week.

Jauron is the kind of head coach that you used to see a lot "back in the day" whose style of coaching had kind of gone out of fashion in recent years: he pretty much lets his coaches coach and his players play, while he oversees things, tries to make sure that his team is prepared and ready to play on game-day, and sticks to making the "executive" decisions (who should be active/inactive, yes/no on whether to go for it on 4th down, but not what play to run, etc.).

I think his approach to coaching comes from having been a player in a certain era and the kinds of coaches that he liked/didn't like playing for and that he saw who were similar to him in personality that were successful at that time.

I think that because he knows how easy it is for things to go wrong on game-day, both from the perspective of a player and from that of a coach, he has placed a lot more emphasis, in his coaching, on what needs to be done in preparation for a game than he has on certain aspects of game-day coaching. He appears to be more concerned about whether his players have certain techniques down, whether the squad will the numbers that it needs on special teams, etc. than, say, mastering the skill of clock management, etc.

As a result, even though the Bills have been (and still are) very young and at times ravaged by injuries, his teams have generally been well prepared, ready to play, and very disciplined. For example, unlike the teams of their previous two HCs, the Bills have committed very few penalties under Jauron, their sacks and turnovers have gone down as well.

IMHO, the problem with Jauron is that, while he knows what plays are in the game-plan, he gives his coordinators and assistants pretty much a free hand in making the play calls (that's something that a lot of HCs used to do)--which means that he is pretty much dependent upon having good coordinators who will do what they tell him they plan to do on game-day). Additionally, Jauron also seems to be loyal to a fault--which can make a coach popular amongst players and give him a good reputation in the coaching fraternity, but also can lead to some bad personnel decisions (A.Thomas, S.Fairchild, etc.).

Jauron's strengths are what have allowed him to take a very young, inexperienced Bills team and a team ravaged by injuries that ranked at the bottom of the league in offense and defense to consecutive 7-9 seasons where, despite being over-matched, they played hard, disciplined football.

The question is whether Jauron and the coordinators/assistants that he relies so much on have learned/can learn enough from the mistakes that they have made on game-day to keep pace with the growing talent, expectations and needs of the Bills as they develop into a playoff caliber squad that will require better game-day management from its coaches in order to successfully compete with the best teams in the league for a Super Bowl crown.

Jauron is certainly intelligent enough to do that. Schonert, too. And, Fewell and April certainly appear to be. But, will they do it? The success of the Bills over the next couple of seasons IMHO will depend on the answer to that question.

On Sunday, against Seattle, it certainly looked like the answer was starting to be answered affirmatively. And, for that, in my book Dick Jauron deserves to serious consideration as Coach of the Week.

An even bigger test awaits this weekend in Jacksonville.

If Jauron can take these Bills into a place where they got shellacked last season and where the Bills have generally not had much success in the past and come out with a win on the road against a team that they are likely to be competing with for a playoff berth this season, IMHO that will be a major accomplishment and a big step forward for not only the team as a whole, but the coaching staff as well as the players. Even if they just "win ugly".

Luisito23
09-09-2008, 03:01 AM
Even if they just "win ugly".

I much rather go to Jax and win ugly, then lose pretty....Oh and Jauron most definitely deserves to be coach of the week!...He had a great gameplan, and outcoached a pretty good coach....:bf1:

Cole
09-09-2008, 03:05 AM
pretty good? try Hall of Famer...