PDA

View Full Version : My Bills Report Card

BlackMetalNinja
09-09-2008, 06:56 AM
I'll be writing these on a weekly basis for the site, feedback is welcome and encouraged :up:

<center> Buffalo Bills Report Card: vs. Seattle, 9/7/08

by Scott Lunn
</center>

Quarterbacks: B-
- This may be the toughest grade I had to come up with this week. After leaving the game on Sunday, I wasn’t entirely satisfied with the QB play, but I thought I’d wait until I had a chance to re-watch the broadcast to make a decision. Afterwards, I’m still not entirely pleased. Not to say Trent was bad, because he wasn’t really. I just don’t think he was overly effective. He had a couple very nice throws and managed the game well, which is generally what I think we need, but he also struggled quite a bit early on. I’ll chalk some of it up to lack of snaps in the preseason, and I’ll chalk a little more up to the weather (He really needs to learn how to deal with that in Orchard Park though). I still hope to see better down the road, but I can deal with this sort of play for the most part.

Full Article:
http://www.billszone.com/mtlog/archives/2008/09/08/buffalo_bills_report_card_vs_seattle_9708.php

Mitchy moo
09-09-2008, 07:14 AM
After Trent was off off several weeks, I expected him to come out of the gate slow and he did. Trent did not turn the ball over and managed the game wonderfully. Anytime you get a QB near 100 on the rating chart and win by 24 points, You should be fairly pleased. We have our QB, finally.

BlackMetalNinja
09-09-2008, 07:40 AM
After Trent was off off several weeks, I expected him to come out of the gate slow and he did. Trent did not turn the ball over and managed the game wonderfully. Anytime you get a QB near 100 on the rating chart and win by 24 points, You should be fairly pleased. We have our QB, finally.

I think I'd like to see more than one game to make that decision.

Jan Reimers
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
This is a tough crowd. Edwards missed the last 2 preseason games, and was making only the 10th start of his career. At times Sunday, it was pretty windy and rainy. Seattle has a good defensive team.

I think 19-30 for 215 yards, a TD and no interceptions (and no new receivers from last year, plus no Peters) was damned good under the circumstances.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
This is a tough crowd. Edwards missed the last 2 preseason games, and was making only the 10th start of his career. At times Sunday, it was pretty windy and rainy. Seattle has a good defensive team.

I think 19-30 for 215 yards, a TD and no interceptions (and no new receivers from last year, plus no Peters) was damned good under the circumstances.
Please, quit making excuses for the guy, there are none anymore. He's going to face great D's every week, he's going to face bad weather regularly in Buffalo, that's just the reality of it.

That being said I thought he played a fine game, even if he just plays like that every week we'll win a lot of games. He's never going to be the type of QB who is going to light up the league, but he won't have to with an RB like Lynch.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 11:20 AM
Good job BMN, almost completely agree.

Jan Reimers
09-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Please, quit making excuses for the guy, there are none anymore. He's going to face great D's every week, he's going to face bad weather regularly in Buffalo, that's just the reality of it.

That being said I thought he played a fine game, even if he just plays like that every week we'll win a lot of games. He's never going to be the type of QB who is going to light up the league, but he won't have to with an RB like Lynch.
I wasn't making excuses. I was pointing out how well he played under less than ideal circumstances.

Tatonka
09-09-2008, 11:34 AM
i am not concerned about edwards arm strength, but his ability to play when there is poor weather really really makes me nervous. he has not done anything good when there has been the slightest amount of rains or hard winds.

Mad Bomber
09-09-2008, 11:34 AM

Trent had a VERY slow start, but after that I thought he looked good. Before his 32 yard hookup to Lee Evans on the first scoring drive, Edwards was 1 for 6 for 7 yards.

That means he was 18 for 24 (75%) for 208 yards with 1 TD and 0 INT after that rocky start.

OpIv37
09-09-2008, 11:40 AM
He had a few great runs for some good yardage, including the TD, but even the short runs were the type you like to see. Head down, barreling ahead with 3 guys on him… making a quick cutback to avoid getting dropped in the backfield.

This is one thing that we absolutely lacked with McGahee. I don't know if he didn't have the physical ability or if he gave up on the plays, but Lynch handles busted plays infinitely better than McGahee does.

northernbillfan
09-09-2008, 11:44 AM

I think 19-30 for 215 yards, a TD and no interceptions (and no new receivers from last year, plus no Peters) was damned good under the circumstances.Doesn't sound like excuses to me. Trent did get his groove on later in the game. Let's hope he keeps it for the remainder of the season.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM
This is one thing that we absolutely lacked with McGahee. I don't know if he didn't have the physical ability or if he gave up on the plays, but Lynch handles busted plays infinitely better than McGahee does.
McGahee is as talented as they come, he just can't quit get away from his dancing style of running. It worked in college but it won't work in the pros, you have to hit the hole and hit it hard.

OpIv37
09-09-2008, 11:49 AM

while I see your point, just once I'd like to be able to say that something about this team- particularly a QB- was damned good WITHOUT having to qualify it with "under the circumstances." There's no asterisk in the standings columns, record books or playoff tree for "under the circumstances."

That's what annoyed me so bad about last year: everything good was "under the circumstances" of an inexperienced team, all the injuries, etc. We had to evaluate the team with reduced expectations. "Under the circumstances" can be a great feel-good story but usually means a mediocre performance in the grand scheme of things.

djjimkelly
09-09-2008, 12:02 PM
ive yet to weigh in on this game moreso becuz the site has been a bit wonky.

anyway lets not jump to any crazy conclusions about this team

edwards didnt really play well he missed several wrs under threw a ball to evans early that would have been 6. now did he play bad. NO but he didnt play well either.

everyone is missing the fact our special teams basically set up or scored 27 of the 34 points on sunday.

this will i repeat will not come close to happening on almost every week for the rest of the year.

edwards did nothing IMO to either say hes the goods or not the goods this weekend.

i do however have a new fear with this bills team.

the brady injury could skew our results to make everyone think we are more then we are. 2 sure losses have become 2 probable wins now.

i dont think anyone rejoiced more then the bills coaching staff when brady went down becuz it could be the reason their jobs get saved.

The Spaz
09-09-2008, 12:08 PM
ive yet to weigh in on this game moreso becuz the site has been a bit wonky.

anyway lets not jump to any crazy conclusions about this team

edwards didnt really play well he missed several wrs under threw a ball to evans early that would have been 6. now did he play bad. NO but he didnt play well either.

everyone is missing the fact our special teams basically set up or scored 27 of the 34 points on sunday.

this will i repeat will not come close to happening on almost every week for the rest of the year.

edwards did nothing IMO to either say hes the goods or not the goods this weekend.

i do however have a new fear with this bills team.

the brady injury could skew our results to make everyone think we are more then we are. 2 sure losses have become 2 probable wins now.

i dont think anyone rejoiced more then the bills coaching staff when brady went down becuz it could be the reason their jobs get saved.

Whatever JP.:rolleyes:

djjimkelly
09-09-2008, 12:11 PM
Whatever JP.:rolleyes:

ridiculous.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 12:15 PM
He's never going to be the type of QB who is going to light up the league, but he won't have to with an RB like Lynch.

whats your definiition of lighting up the league?

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 12:17 PM
whats your definiition of lighting up the league?
I find it unlikely that he'll ever produce like guys like Romo, Manning, or Brady, but he will probably be a game manager like a Manning (Eli) or Rivers; which isn't a bad thing at all. That's not to say that he's on their level yet, but I that's what I envision.

BlackMetalNinja
09-09-2008, 12:21 PM
To better qualify my statements... I think Edwards really needs to show he can be at least competent in bad weather as long as he's the QB of this team. He started out pretty awful, not even close on a few throws. There is plenty of room for improvement.

As the game progressed, he looked much better and as I stated, he managed the game well. I gave him a score that was still above average and I think that's exactly what he was. He still has plenty of room for improvement, I think some of you just have set standards really low. Only the Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys, etc of this league are going to have A games on a regular basis.

I see some things Trent can do better, but on the whole I'm pleased with what he showed after the first quarter. You can't expect me to just completely write off that first quarter however and pretend it didn't happen.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 12:23 PM
To better qualify my statements... I think Edwards really needs to show he can be at least competent in bad weather as long as he's the QB of this team. He started out pretty awful, not even close on a few throws. There is plenty of room for improvement.

As the game progressed, he looked much better and as I stated, he managed the game well. I gave him a score that was still above average and I think that's exactly what he was. He still has plenty of room for improvement, I think some of you just have set standards really low. Only the Peyton Mannings, Tom Bradys, etc of this league are going to have A games on a regular basis.

I see some things Trent can do better, but on the whole I'm pleased with what he showed after the first quarter. You can't expect me to just completely write off that first quarter however and pretend it didn't happen.
There's no doubt that he'll have to get it going early and often. It would be awesome if we could get an early two score lead and just pound the rock with Lynch the rest of the game.

mybills
09-09-2008, 12:25 PM
I'd give him a B+

Jan Reimers
09-09-2008, 03:22 PM
I find it unlikely that he'll ever produce like guys like Romo, Manning, or Brady, but he will probably be a game manager like a Manning (Eli) or Rivers; which isn't a bad thing at all. That's not to say that he's on their level yet, but I that's what I envision.
Only a Cowboy fan would put Romo in the same category as Manning and Brady.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 03:26 PM
Only a Cowboy fan would put Romo in the same category as Manning and Brady.
Only a moron wouldn't recognize that his teams wins as many games and he puts up close to the same statistics.

trapezeus
09-09-2008, 03:53 PM
romo has won as many playoff games as all the starting qbs of the bills for the last 15 years. zero

Jan Reimers
09-09-2008, 04:43 PM
Only a moron wouldn't recognize that his teams wins as many games and he puts up close to the same statistics.
I would really appreciate not being called a moron simply because I disagree with you, you arrogant ass.

The Spaz
09-09-2008, 04:53 PM
I would really appreciate not being called a moron simply because I disagree with you, you arrogant ass.

**** him Jan you bring more to this board anyway. He really is just a Cowboys fan who moonlights as a Bills fan. As a matter of fact in his recent response to you I am putting him on my ignore list.

Philagape
09-09-2008, 04:57 PM
"You arrogant ass! You killed US!" -- The Hunt for Red October

Jan Reimers
09-09-2008, 05:03 PM
**** him Jan you bring more to this board anyway. He really is just a Cowboys fan who moonlights as a Bills fan. As a matter of fact in his recent response to you I am putting him on my ignore list.
Thanks. I just did the same thing.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 05:48 PM
Thank god.

BlackMetalNinja
09-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Quit ruining my thread with crap... I'll ban you all!!!!!!

Albany,n.y.
09-09-2008, 07:59 PM
I think I'd like to see more than one game to make that decision.
Have you been in a cave the last year and a half? It's a lot more than 1 game.

BlackMetalNinja
09-09-2008, 09:27 PM
Have you been in a cave the last year and a half? It's a lot more than 1 game.No I haven't been in a cave, but whichever one you were watching it from must have ruled if Edwards looked incredible to you. Let me know where it is sometime, I'd like to visit HappyLand.