PDA

View Full Version : Peters: Holdout ‘only way’

Meathead
09-09-2008, 08:10 AM
Pro Bowler says he had no other option

Jason Peters returned to the practice field with the Buffalo Bills for the first time this season Monday, convinced that his lengthy holdout was the right approach even if it meant skipping all of training camp, missing the season opener, facing some $650,000 in fines and failing to get a new contract.

Peters came back under the same contract he signed in 2006 but insisted he had no regrets over how he handled his 43-day dispute that evolved into a Cold War with the Bills. He believed sitting out and breaking off communication with the organization would best voice his displeasure over a five-year deal that had three seasons remaining.

“You know, that’s the only way I could have sent the message,” Peters said after a team walk-through Monday. “If I showed up [on time], the problem is never going to get solved. The only leverage I had was to sit out and show that there was a problem. It was the only option I had, to sit out.”

http://www.buffalonews.com/sports/billsnfl/story/434692.html

yeah right jason

heres a welcome back picture for you

http://www.shipmentoffail.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/fail2it9.jpg

Romes
09-09-2008, 08:16 AM
Peter's is not that smart.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2008, 08:17 AM
Actually I thought he handled the presser really well. Watch it.

When asked if he wanted to stay a Bill he said "I chose this team, yeah, I want to be a Bill."

I am in the miniority but I think he did the right thing. The guy came in an excellent shape so he was, and is serious about playing well.

He wanted the Bills to rework his deal and now he has there commitment that this will happen.

He said if he showed up there was no chance of that happening which I agree with.

He useed Russ Brandon's name specifically.

jamesiscool
09-09-2008, 08:18 AM
He's just saying that cuz he knows in the end, he lost and there's no ifs ands or buts about it. He said he wasn't coming till he got a new deal, threatening to not be back till the 10th week of the season then a few days before the first game of the season he still doesn't have a contract and the bills seemed to have moved on with out him.

I still say Russ played his hand perfectly here. He called Peters and his agents bluffs and moved on like ANY employee would. When it comes down to it this is a job, just a job that pays way more than mine.

Suck it up Peters, ya lost this one. Have fun riding the pine for the time being you winey big man.

jamesiscool
09-09-2008, 08:20 AM
Oh yeah and I hope they manke him pay every penny of that 650,000 dollar fine.

Bill Brasky
09-09-2008, 08:29 AM
Actually I thought he handled the presser really well. Watch it.

When asked if he wanted to stay a Bill he said "I chose this team, yeah, I want to be a Bill."

I am in the miniority but I think he did the right thing. The guy came in an excellent shape so he was, and is serious about playing well.

He wanted the Bills to rework his deal and now he has there commitment that this will happen.

He said if he showed up there was no chance of that happening which I agree with.

He useed Russ Brandon's name specifically.

given this FO's track record, i can't say i blame him.

Michael82
09-09-2008, 08:46 AM
Peters is a ****ing moron! If he took it to the media and demanded a raise, and held out of all the offseason stuff, then came for training camp, I bet he would have gotten a new deal by now. As it is, he pissed the team off big time and his fans...I see him getting a new deal, but still not until the end of the season. The Bills called his bluff and he knows that.

JJamezz
09-09-2008, 09:03 AM
Peters is obviously pissed that he had to cave.. Let's just hope he made the right decision in taking Brandon and Overdorff 'at their word'. I love what the Bills have put together on the field and with the coaching staff, but I've still got questions about the FO.. They better not figure out a way to f this one up.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 09:05 AM
Video translation : " I came back because Walker was doing a great job and I would've ended up with no work for years to come".

Michael82
09-09-2008, 09:08 AM
Peters is obviously pissed that he had to cave.. Let's just hope he made the right decision in taking Brandon and Overdorff 'at their word'. I love what the Bills have put together on the field and with the coaching staff, but I've still got questions about the FO.. They better not figure out a way to f this one up.
I heard that his agent basically told him that he needs to report Saturday or risk his job and any chance of a raise.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2008, 09:10 AM
Video translation : " I came back because Walker was doing a great job and I would've ended up with no work for years to come".

As much as there is a lovefest with Walker on this board did you here any players or coaches not recognaizing what a huge upgrade Peters is?

I don't think Peters was too worried about them finding a roster spot for him. Did you see him in practice yesterday. The guy is a freak. Even Jauron admitted that the guy is a specimen.

HHURRICANE
09-09-2008, 09:11 AM
One of my concersn going into this season was depth at the O-line. Haveing Chambers play the way he did and having the flecibility to throw Walker over to LT was a huge plaus for us moving forward.

If Walker misses a game Chambers can actually fill in and we don't lose as much.

jdbillsfan
09-09-2008, 09:20 AM
I heard that his agent basically told him that he needs to report Saturday or risk his job and any chance of a raise.

And also the money that he would be missing out on. 200k might be another reason why he finally showed.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 09:21 AM
As much as there is a lovefest with Walker on this board did you here any players or coaches not recognaizing what a huge upgrade Peters is?

I don't think Peters was too worried about them finding a roster spot for him. Did you see him in practice yesterday. The guy is a freak. Even Jauron admitted that the guy is a specimen.
I wasn't talking about Peters' ability. I was simply commenting on his video.
He is stilll the best OL but this is a team sport. The team moved forward without him which is probably why he got spooked. He was gonna lose this battle especially with walker stepping up in his absence.

ghz in pittsburgh
09-09-2008, 09:22 AM
My apology to Peters for wondering loud on his conditioning and other problems. Jauron confirmed that he's in execellent shape.

I still would like to see the Bills made him pay his fine. I don't like the fact that Peters cheated his way to his first couple of paychecks.

I don't see the Bills playing him that much, if at all, this Sunrday. "Football shape" means he needs to get along with his teamates and has the new offense down. I'd not mind the Bills take it to the bye week to re-shuffle the O-Line.

There is something to be said about rewarding a dedicated company man. In this case Kirk Chambers. The guy worked hard from last year to this year, from left tackle to right tackle, and we all witnessed his improvement. Give the guy a couple of more games instead of rushing Peters back in.

Lastly I hope the front office engage some serious talk with Parker, and work out an incentive laden enxtension. There is no need to beat the man down more now that he's back and does not seem to hold a grudge. Of course we need to see his on-field performance. But seeing that Peters actually worked hard during his holdout, I have confidence that he may actually do very well once he gets up to speed of the new offense.

Sportsuser101
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
Guess we know his wonderlic score was true lol

Michael82
09-09-2008, 09:24 AM
My apology to Peters for wondering loud on his conditioning and other problems. Jauron confirmed that he's in execellent shape.

I still would like to see the Bills made him pay his fine. I don't like the fact that Peters cheated his way to his first couple of paychecks.

I don't see the Bills playing him that much, if at all, this Sunrday. "Football shape" means he needs to get along with his teamates and has the new offense down. I'd not mind the Bills take it to the bye week to re-shuffle the O-Line.

There is something to be said about rewarding a dedicated company man. In this case Kirk Chambers. The guy worked hard from last year to this year, from left tackle to right tackle, and we all witnessed his improvement. Give the guy a couple of more games instead of rushing Peters back in.

Lastly I hope the front office engage some serious talk with Parker, and work out an incentive laden enxtension. There is no need to beat the man down more now that he's back and does not seem to hold a grudge. Of course we need to see his on-field performance. But seeing that Peters actually worked hard during his holdout, I have confidence that he may actually do very well once he gets up to speed of the new offense.
If I'm the Bills....i start the line with it as it was....dress Peters as our 3rd OT and then use him on goal-line situations. Then make sure he is ready to go in week 3 as our starting left tackle.

Saratoga Slim
09-09-2008, 09:39 AM
If I'm the Bills....i start the line with it as it was....dress Peters as our 3rd OT and then use him on goal-line situations. Then make sure he is ready to go in week 3 as our starting left tackle.

I agree. Pending his performance in practice this week, I'd dress him Sunday and play him sparingly if the game is not close, or perhaps just in limited situations. I don't think it's a good idea to rotate the OL too much in a close game. I think the goal should be to have him in there full time by week 3, with the expectation that week 4 is more realistic.

I'm worried about rushing the guy in there and getting him hurt.

HAMMER
09-09-2008, 10:22 AM
If I'm the Bills Peters waits until the end of the season for any extension talks. Lee Evans has to be priority #1, Peters #2. He and Parker made a mistake.

Michael82
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
If I'm the Bills Peters waits until the end of the season for any extension talks. Lee Evans has to be priority #1, Peters #2. He and Parker made a mistake.
Agreed!

Tatonka
09-09-2008, 10:52 AM

did you hear that from a rich friend?

Tatonka
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
I think peters is a great talent, but i really could give a rats ass about him. he didnt care that he could have cost us a game on sunday. all that "for my family bull****" after he just got a raise and signing bonus. he will do it again as soon as he thinks someone else is making more money.

not to mention, he has screwed himself because he will get hurt now. it is murphy's law.. if your on madden cover or you holdout like he did.. you're done.

at least we have a decent oline without him though, so he can sit and think about he ****ed this all up for himself.

Meathead
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
jasons going to get exactly what he would have gotten if he had showed up from the start - a new contract starting NEXT year

he clearly wanted a new deal right now and the bills said hes gotta play at least three years on the five year contract they were very generous in giving him in the first place. sure he played very well but hes gotta play by the same rules as everybody else on the team - show up and if you outperform your contract we (the bills) will renegotiate in good faith - but on OUR terms

the bills have been very reasonable in proactively paying him well. he should remember that it was the bills that created what he is now and as long as they arent taking advantage of him he should be grateful and follow the pattern they have clearly laid out to take care of guys in his situation

i repeat: jasons going to get exactly what he would have gotten if he had showed up from the start. dumbass

ddaryl
09-09-2008, 11:10 AM
given this FO's track record, i can't say i blame him.

where do some of you come up with this BS

The Bills have been extending players for the last couple of years, and spending money in FA.

you're comment is completely ludicrous. Peters himself already recieved 1 extension.

Maybe we should not mention was Kelsay, Schobel, and Butler, all who got extensions and never held out of anything.

Peters Had lots of choices. holding out was100% the wrong one. Now he has a reputation with the majority of fans as greedy me 1st asswipe.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Pay the man.

Tatonka
09-09-2008, 11:17 AM
Pay the man.

wait till after he gets hurt so it is cheaper.

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 11:21 AM
wait till after he gets hurt so it is cheaper.Wow....

Michael82
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM

The Bills have been extending players for the last couple of years, and spending money in FA.

you're comment is completely ludicrous. Peters himself already recieved 1 extension.

Maybe we should not mention was Kelsay, Schobel, and Butler, all who got extensions and never held out of anything.

Peters Had lots of choices. holding out was100% the wrong one. Now he has a reputation with the majority of fans as greedy me 1st asswipe.
:bf1:

gr8slayer
09-09-2008, 12:38 PM

And the Bills have the reputation of being one of the cheapest franchises in the league. What's your point?

Throne Logic
09-09-2008, 01:06 PM
He should have shown up this year while proclaiming he was unhappy. If, for some reason, the front office did not grant him a new deal by Spring of '09, then I'd feel that holding out might be justified. Not that I believe in "holding out" on a signed contract. However, I'd at least be able to see the logic in following that path.

I, too, must admit that I was wrong in speculating that Peters was not in good shape and therefore holding out. Of course, he may have been in poor shape at the start of camp and had to work his butt off to get to where he is now. . . heh.

Don't forget that we not only have a new OC, but a new OL coach this year, too. There's going to be a relatively large learning curve there. I agree that basic situations would be a good way to utilize Peters.

Think of the goal-line potential we have if we line up both Peters and Walker (one in the TE spot) on the left side next to Dockery. With Peters back and Schonert calling the plays, we may just see a return to the Tackle Elligable play.

Philagape
09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I'll give the Bills the benefit of the doubt when they extend Evans.

John Doe
09-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Peters is only saying what his agent told him to say.

Bill Brasky
09-10-2008, 10:05 AM

completely ludacris?

schobel got an extension with several years left on his deal, after he produced half of what he usually does (his awesome extension was repaid with 6.5 sacks). the other 2 "pro-bowlers" you mentioned both got extensions after they produced jack squat.

peters is one of the best LT's in the game, and he's getting paid significantly less than half of his fellow linemen. the way he went about his holdout was wrong, which is why he accomplished nothing. i'm not blaming him for doing it, though.

the track record our FO has only breeds this kind of mindset. i could point to the laundry list of vets that have walked out of town because buffalo refused to pay them market value. some were not worth it, but some were. just like some of the dead weight on this team is overpaid while the productive players are underpaid. i chalk that up to a BAD FO that can't put accurate values on players. you pay $5 for the cheapest apple in the bundle, the fresh apple is gonna start crying that he's worth at least $6 instead of $4.

basically - if you are the most productive person at your job and getting paid far less than other people who do essentially the same work as you, are you going to sit there and tell me you wouldn't be irate?

both sides are at fault, but both have valid points.

btw: 95% of the players in this league are "greedy me 1st asswipes", some just disguise it better than most. pwnd.

love, brasky.

jmb1099
09-10-2008, 01:42 PM
Peter's being back after the Bills domination is no coincidence. His leverage is gone, especially since Trent was rarely touched. He had no choice but to return and try to make it look as if he made his point. Maybe the only thing he proved is that playing next to Dockery makes anyone look that much better.