PDA

View Full Version : Wilfork thinks Pollard's hit on Brady deserved action by NFL

Bill Brasky
09-09-2008, 09:50 AM
:rofl: pot, meet kettle

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Wilfork-thinks-Pollard-s-hit-on-Brady-deserved-a?urn=nfl,106464

Nose tackle Vince Wilfork is peeved that the NFL decided not to fine Kansas City Chiefs safety Bernard Pollard for his low hit on the left knee of quarterback Tom Brady, a blow that has ended Brady's season. Wilfork is protective of his quarterback, but he feels that the league has a double standard. On a similar play last season, a falling Wilfork struck Buffalo Bills quarterback J.P. Losman in the knee with his arm and was flagged for a 15-yard penalty and fined $12,500.

NFL rules state that "no defensive player who has an unrestricted path to the quarterback may hit him flagrantly in the area of the knee(s) or below when approaching in any direction." The league's officiating department reviewed the Pollard hit and deemed it within the rules because "the defensive player was coming off and affected by a block by the offense," according to a league spokesman.

"I was tripped up and falling, and I still got fined and flagged for the same exact thing," said Wilfork. "I was tripped up. I didn't dive at anybody's legs. I didn't cut a running back getting to a quarterback. And when I got fined last year, they said I got flagged because you're not allowed to hit a quarterback below the waist. So, you take it for what it's worth."

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 09:51 AM
Wilforks Karma is coming.

HAMMER
09-09-2008, 10:18 AM
Wilfork very clearly extended his arm as far as possible to hit Losmans' knee before hitting the ground. He's a punk, I wanna kick his azz.

Agent007
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Wilfork is wrong in every aspect of his convinctions.

It was clear Pollard was trying to grab for Brady's leg to bring him down.

It was clear he did not accidentally stick his elbow out to stop his fall.

Nobody sticks their elbow out to stop their fall. His elbow was in and started to stick out as he was heading towards Losman's knee.

Wilfork must be a fool to expect anyone to believe it was unintentional.

The bigger fool here was the Commish for letting him slide with only a fine.

Rodney Harrison and Wilfork must be close teammates.

Jan Reimers
09-09-2008, 10:24 AM
Wilfork should recognize a dirty hit when he sees one. He's turned cheap shots into an art form.

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 10:26 AM
I can't wait!

Will it be a knee injury or broken ribs?

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:28 AM
Wilfork is just upset he was fined $2,500 by the NFL for essentially the same play. He isn't upset at Pollard or the play, he is upset at the double-standard where he had to pay.

don137
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM
You know, I don't like seeing anybody get hurt but the crap that comes out of the Patriots mouths makes you think they got what was coming to them. Wilfork's hit was so much more intentional IMO than the hit on Brady.

The King
09-09-2008, 10:29 AM

Have you seen his wife..... yikes.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:30 AM
Have you seen his wife..... yikes.
Fugly?

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM
You know, I don't like seeing anybody get hurt but the crap that comes out of the Patriots mouths makes you think they got what was coming to them. Wilfork's hit was so much more intentional IMO than the hit on Brady.

And... you are a mind reader? Through the TV no less?

I love how people try to read intent into a football play. You have huge guys going full speed while being blocked, but he has time to have a cup of coffee and think about what is going to happen.

As fast as the game is played, players are just reacting.

Michael82
09-09-2008, 10:31 AM

And that is why everyone who is not a Patriots fan, has so much hatred for that team. They are all cocky, arrogant *****s and deserve everything that they get. It's about time karma came to bite them in the ass! :clap:

THATHURMANATOR
09-09-2008, 10:32 AM
Wilfork is just upset he was fined $2,500 by the NFL for essentially the same play. He isn't upset at Pollard or the play, he is upset at the double-standard where he had to pay.
So he is a busy body then? Worry about yourself vince.

Agent007
09-09-2008, 10:32 AM

I love how people try to read intent into a football play. You have huge guys going full speed while being blocked, but he has time to have a cup of coffee and think about what is going to happen.

I gather you've stuck out your elbow to break you fall??

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 10:33 AM
:rofl:

http://starheist.com/artwork/denial.jpg

MikeInRoch
09-09-2008, 10:34 AM

Essentially except that one deliberately went for a knee....

don137
09-09-2008, 10:35 AM

OK, if you are so positive that Wilfork did not do it intentionally and he was was just bracing his fall please show me where in all the other games last year where Wilfork fell with his elbow extended out like he did on that play against Losman.

Mr. Miyagi
http://www.istockphoto.com/file_thumbview_approve/2694919/2/istockphoto_2694919_denial.jpg

Dr. Lecter
Another difference is that Wilfork had been punished for previous acts whereas Pollard has no such history.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I love how people try to read intent into a football play. .

it's not very hard.

Look at it yourself

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3POT8n2Qk3g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3POT8n2Qk3g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

If you weren't a Pats fan, you'd call that a dirty hit. Don't lie. Liars go to hell

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:36 AM
I gather you've stuck out your elbow to break you fall??

He was off balance and reached out to make a play. He didn't have time to think about it.

Things like this happen all the time during play.

The stuff that happens after the whistle is different. Sometimes guys take shots , like when Albert Haynesworth stomped on Andre Gurode's head, or when Brad Butler dove into Mathias Kiwanuka's knee.

If that stuff happens, the refs throw the flags. That is why they have refs. I don't blame Wilfork for being mad about being fined.

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 10:38 AM
The stuff that happens after the whistle is different. Sometimes guys take shots , like when Albert Haynesworth stomped on Andre Gurode's head, or when Brad Butler dove into Mathias Kiwanuka's knee.
Or Wilfork poking Jacob's eye.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:39 AM
it's not very hard.

Look at it yourself

If you weren't a Pats fan, you'd call that a dirty hit. Don't lie. Liars go to hell

Well, I am a Pats fan and I see nothing dirty. Just an accident that happened during the course of a play. The ref threw a flag, so it is done with.

But that isn't enough for the drama queens. People that are brought up watching soap operas, comic books and Oprah have to analyze and read into everything that happens. It's football. Sometimes guys do stuff they shouldn't, and the ref throws the flag.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:40 AM
He was off balance and reached out to make a play. .
....for the qb's knee.

I agree.

Agent007
09-09-2008, 10:46 AM
He was off balance and reached out to make a play. He didn't have time to think about it.

If that stuff happens, the refs throw the flags. That is why they have refs. I don't blame Wilfork for being mad about being fined.

Interesting.

I always thought you reached out with your hands, not your elbow.

News to me.

You actually going to believe Wilfork's story wheh he even lied about reaching out to Losman to apologize?

We know he didn't because Losman confirmed it.

Believe me, in the nfl, people aren't hard to find if the effort was there.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:48 AM
Interesting.

News to me.

they cannot argue with the video. It was an ECW type of hit except ECW is fake and Wilforks was meant to hurt.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Interesting.

News to me.

You actually going to believe Wilfork's story wheh he even lied about reaching out to Losman to apologize?

We know he didn't because Losman confirmed it.

Believe me, in the nfl, people aren't hard to find if the effort was there.

Another drama queen. Who cares if Wilfork apologized? The point is he was off-balance going full speed, so he didn't have time to premeditate anything. He was just doing everything he could to get pressure on the QB, and he did something stupid. It cost his team 15 yards, so he should feel sorry about that.

If he did have time to think about what he was doing, he would have done everything possible to avoid hitting Losman. The Bills are a better team with Edwards anyway, so he hurt his own team with a penalty and bringing in a better player.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:50 AM
they cannot argue with the video. It was an ECW type of hit except ECW is fake and Wilforks wasn't

I'm not arguing about what happened. He made a mistake. However, to read intent into it is silly, when the game is played full speed in full pads with a lot of contact.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:51 AM
Another drama queen. Who cares if Wilfork apologized? The point is he was off-balance going full speed, so he didn't have time to premeditate anything. He was just doing everything he could to get pressure on the QB, and he did something stupid. It cost his team 15 yards, so he should feel sorry about that.

If he did have time to think about what he was doing, he would have done everything possible to avoid hitting Losman. The Bills are a better team with Edwards anyway, so he hurt his own team with a penalty and bringing in a better player.

:bs:

you tackle wrapping your arms or grab with your hands . An elbow is meant to hit.You don't break your fall with your elbow or you'll break your arm. He wasn't trying to break his fall. He was trying to hit Losman.

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 10:53 AM
I bet NE39 doesn't believe Brady is gay either. :rofl:

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Bottom line is this: People want drama and bad guys. So they invent it.

Brady is by all measures a great player who carries himself professionally. However, he beats your team so you hate him. The Patriots have beat the tar out of the division for years, so everyone else wants to see them lose. I get that.

However, don't go changing the game. A guy like Ronnie Lott would try to hit an opposing player as hard as possible. Occasionally he would lead with his head and get helmet-to-helmet contact.

Is that dirty? No. It is against the rules, so the ref should throw a flag. However, that physicality is part of the game. Occasionally, in the course of play, guys do things they shouldn't. Throw the flag then.

That doesn't make Lott any less an All-time great. It doesn't make him dirty. It is a violent game. Guys get hurt.

njsue
09-09-2008, 10:56 AM
:lolpoint: Wilfork

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 10:57 AM

you tackle wrapping your arms or grab with your hands . An elbow is meant to hit.You don't break your fall with your elbow or you'll break your arm. He wasn't trying to break his fall. He was trying to hit Losman.

Exactly. He was trying to hit him while falling down in the course of play. He hit him illegally in the knees. They threw the flag.

Shouldn't that be the end of it? It was a football play. It wasn't on purpose, it was an accident. You throw the flag and move on.

The drama queens can't though. They need heroes and villains, so they invent them.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:58 AM
Bottom line is this: People want drama and bad guys. So they invent it.

Brady is by all measures a great player who carries himself professionally. .
cheating is not being professional.

I hate Brady but have the utmost respect for his ability on the field.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 10:59 AM
Exactly. He was trying to hit him while falling down in the course of play. He hit him illegally in the knees. They threw the flag.

Shouldn't that be the end of it? It was a football play. It wasn't on purpose, it was an accident. You throw the flag and move on.

The drama queens can't though. They need heroes and villains, so they invent them.

hitting with an eblow is meant to hurt especially if the hit is directed at the knee.

Wait, you question people for reading into the intent and yet you are able to tell that it wasn't on purpose or that it was an accident?

No matter how you slice and dice it. it was dirty. It wasn't an accident. He had time to reach our for JP with his hands. He didn't ,he threw an elbow AT THE KNEE.

According to BB he teaches his players tio hit above it. It wasn't was it?

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 11:01 AM
hitting with an eblow is meant to hurt especially if the hit is directed at the knee.

No matter how you slice and dice it. it was dirty.

Because by your standard everyone who has ever played the game is dirty. The opposite is actually the truth, none of them are.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 11:03 AM

Wait, you question people for reading into the intent and yet you are able to tell that it wasn't on purpose or that it was an accident?

No matter how you slice and dice it. it was dirty. It wasn't an accident. He had time to reach our for JP with his hands. He didn't ,he threw an elbow AT THE KNEE.

According to BB he teaches his players tio hit above it. It wasn't was it?

He was falling down. Do you think he knew what he was doing? It was a reaction. He didn't know where he was going to hit him, it was an accident.

He was wrong. He was penalized and hurt his team. That should be the end of it.

Agent007
09-09-2008, 11:06 AM

Hah

Brandon Jacobs, Jp Losman, Jason Witten, Micheal Turner....

Let's see, what do they all have in common?

It's no coincidence.

Wilfork has been chugging Rodney Harrison's energy drink, "Cheap Hit full throttle."

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 11:08 AM
http://www.billszone.com/gallery2/d/46438-2/karma2.jpg

don137
09-09-2008, 11:11 AM
He was falling down. Do you think he knew what he was doing? It was a reaction. He didn't know where he was going to hit him, it was an accident.

Show us where Wilfork falls with his elbow extended out like that in other games.

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Show us where Wilfork falls with his elbow extended out like that in other games.
Remember he said eye poking is standard practice for smack talking too.

When asked to show any other such incidents, he does not produce.

Case closed.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM

Look, I'm not arguing about what happened. He was trying to hit Losman. He was falling down and tried to hit him.

What I disagree with is that he purposely tried to take his knee out. He didn't have time to do that. He was falling and tried to hit him, and hit him in the knee. It was illegal and he was flagged for it.

However, he wasn't trying to intentionally injure him, anymore than Ronnie Lott would try to injure a guy when he came across the middle. He was trying to hit him, that is his job. It was a football play, just like Pollard's hit on Brady. There is no pre-meditated action.

He was wrong, the ref threw the flag and we moved on. That is, everyone who doesn't need to over dramatize things moved on. The rest have to create a villain, root for retribution, etc.

It's football. Guys get hurt. Deal with it.

cocamide
09-09-2008, 11:16 AM
All I know is, the hit on JP allowed TE to come in and play, and he's now the starter. The other hit took Brady out for the season. I'd say it's a fair trade.

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 11:23 AM
All I know is, the hit on JP allowed TE to come in and play, and he's now the starter. The other hit took Brady out for the season. I'd say it's a fair trade.
Yes, we should actually thank Wilfork for the dirty hit, by taking his own knee out.

And they should thank KC for ringing in the Cassel era LOL.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 11:41 AM

NO one teaches you to break your fall with your elbows. All the more,if you fall on someone with your elbows(especially the knee ) when you could've grabed or wrapped your arms around him, its got only one intention.

If landing on someones knee with an elbow is a reactionary move, then someone is teaching him the wrong thing in NE.

Mitchy moo
09-09-2008, 12:02 PM

Stroud will help him save his soul.

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 12:33 PM
NO one teaches you to break your fall with your elbows.

He wasn't breaking his fall, he was trying to hit the QB. That is his job. Because he was off-balance and falling, it hit in the wrong spot. That is why he was penalized.

PromoTheRobot
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
Wilfork is wrong in every aspect of his convinctions.

It was clear Pollard was trying to grab for Brady's leg to bring him down.

It was clear he did not accidentally stick his elbow out to stop his fall.

Nobody sticks their elbow out to stop their fall. His elbow was in and started to stick out as he was heading towards Losman's knee.

Wilfork must be a fool to expect anyone to believe it was unintentional.

The bigger fool here was the Commish for letting him slide with only a fine.

Rodney Harrison and Wilfork must be close teammates.

Wilfork is a disciple of Karl Rove. Say something long enough and people start believing you.

PTR

Mr. Miyagi
09-09-2008, 12:37 PM
He wasn't breaking his fall, he was trying to hit the QB. That is his job. Because he was off-balance and falling, it hit in the wrong spot. That is why he was penalized.
Oh man please make it stop.

PromoTheRobot
09-09-2008, 12:39 PM
Now please tell everyone that the sun revolves around Foxboro.

PTR

Michael82
09-09-2008, 12:40 PM
:roflmao:

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 12:42 PM
Now please tell everyone that the sun revolves around Foxboro.

PTR

You can try to deflect from the subject all you want, but the fact is it was a simple football play.

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 12:48 PM
no one teaches you to hit with an elbow (better?) , just like no one teaches a player to hit the qb in the head with their hands when they are falling.

He could've grabbed JP's leg or jersey with his hands but he opted to use his elbow. Dirty.

The goal in MMA is to hurt your opponent. The use of elbows is banned in some MMA tournaments. Guess why?

Ickybaluky
09-09-2008, 01:02 PM
no one teaches you to hit with an elbow (better?) , just like no one teaches a player to hit the qb in the head with their hands when they are falling.

He could've grabbed JP's leg or jersey with his hands but he opted to use his elbow. Dirty.

The goal in MMA is to hurt your opponent. The use of elbows is banned in some MMA tournaments. Guess why?

Grabbed? He was falling down. He stuck his arm out.

It isn't so easy to think about things during plays in full pads while being blocked, so you react. That is only more true at NFL game speed. It was a reaction, that is all. You make it sound like he had time to prepare.

We can go around in circles about this all day, but it comes back to one thing: it is the game. During the course of the game things sometimes happen outside the rules, so the ref throws the flag.

Why you guys try to make it out to be more than that is beyond me, but I guess you have a need for drama, with heroes and villains. Fine, but it is still just a football game.

Bill Brasky
09-09-2008, 01:08 PM
I'm not arguing about what happened. He made a mistake. However, to read intent into it is silly, when the game is played full speed in full pads with a lot of contact.

:bf1:

justasportsfan
09-09-2008, 01:10 PM
Grabbed? He was falling down. He stuck his arm out..he stuck his elbow on the knee. HUge difference. IF HIs elbows were close enough to get to JP's knees, His hands is close enough to grab the jersey. INstead he EXTENDED HIS ELBOWS to the knee.

The video is there.

It isn't so easy to think about things during plays in full pads while being blocked, so you react. That is only more true at NFL game speed. It was a reaction, that is all. You make it sound like he had time to prepare.

We can go around in circles about this all day, but it comes back to one thing: it is the game. During the course of the game things sometimes happen outside the rules, so the ref throws the flag.

Why you guys try to make it out to be more than that is beyond me, but I guess you have a need for drama, with heroes and villains. Fine, but it is still just a football game.
If Wilfork didn't have a histroy then I would chalk it up to bad reaction from his part.

He talks crap about the Brady hit because he's guilty of being a dirty player.

He lied abouyt having friends on the bills team to save face.

Drama? I didn't start the thread.

Exactly, it's only a football game where throwing elbows is considered dirty.

Nighthawk
09-09-2008, 04:12 PM

Are you serious!?!?! Since when do players reach out with their elbows to make plays?

Nighthawk
09-09-2008, 04:14 PM
Grabbed? He was falling down. He stuck his arm out.

The point is, the guy is notorious for being dirty thoughout the entire league. It's not like it has only happened once with this guy. Honestly, you bring a lot of well thought out arguments to this board, but why do you try to defend something that is so obvious to everybody?