X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kicker22705
    • Jul 2002

Will this play out like the Saints?

in 2001 Deuce McAllister was chosen late in the first round by the Saints i believe 23 overall. He was projected a top 5 pick but his stock fell considerably due to i believe an knee injury he sustained his senior year. The Saints shocked the fans by drafting him despite the fact they already had a franchise back in Ricky Williams who just came off his best season at the time. Deuce played sparingly behind Williams on certain situations and special teams.

The following year, as you all know, Ricky had his best season of his career up to that point and was traded for a first rounder, and a conditional 3rd rounder that ended up to be another 1st rounder to the Dolphins. Deuce got the starting job in 2002 w/ the Saints and showed he was a better fit for the Saints than Ricky Williams was. Both went on to have a very successful season with Ricky leading the league in rushing yards and McAllister leading the NFC.

I think Tom will play this out like the Saints. We will start Travis Henry throughout the season. With our emphasis on our running game this year, Travis should put up about the same number if not better than last year. After 2 consecutive 1200-1500 yard season, he will warrant a guarenteed 1st rounder and perhaps and another pick between 1-4 depending on the strength of the RB market.

I really don't think Tom is looking to trade Magahee unless his injury proves to be more serious than previously thought. As much as I like Travis, Magahee simply brings more to the table. Look at some things Tom Modrak said,

"One of the things in this league for running backs is that you have to be able to break tackles and do it in different ways. He has that ability. He has great vision, great movement and he has strength. His quickness to power ratio is very good, his ability to catch is solid and his intangibles, that we hit hard, are excellent. He's a strong-minded guy, you can judge that by the way he's gone through his rehab and the way he's handled his difficult situation. He's never moaned about what happened to him. There's a purpose for everything and a reason for everything. He's moving forward."

He's saying Travis can break tackles, but can't deke and can't out run them like Magahee.

and

"Sometimes when you get a speed guy that can make long runs he's not a good break tackle running, he doesn't have great avoid- he may be more of a straight liner. McGahee is the whole package. That's the nice part. He can finish runs but be can also get himself out of trouble when there's nothing there. He's a chance for a big play when he touches the ball."

He's saying Travis can go straight ahead an power through lines, and break tackles, but so can Magahee and then some. He can make a lot out of nothing by himself.

Why settle on a great back, when we chance with a phenominal back. The only thing we got to lose is a 1st rounder. What we can gain is a potential marshall faulk. The potential gains of this risk, by far outways the potential loss.
  • Kevikid
    • Mar 2003

excellent post, i agree completely, although all this is still hopeful thinking.
    Clump's #1 Fan

Comment

• Stewie
      Sarah Palin for President... of my pants!
      • Aug 2002

Right now, all McGahee brings to the table is an f-d up knee. Lets see how fast he is and if he can juke a year from now.
      Originally posted by Topdog
      Damn , your're showing you're ignorance!
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      I love Weiner.
      Originally posted by mercyrule
      also cheese

Comment

• superbills
        • Mar 2003

Originally posted by paulB
        Right now, all McGahee brings to the table is an f-d up knee. Lets see how fast he is and if he can juke a year from now.
        Agreed, but I like the thinking of this post. I've seen this guy play many times and if he regains half of his form he could start on half the teams in this league, he's that good. If he rehabs all the way back, the Bills keep him and shop Henry for high picks.
        "The government's view of the economy could be summed up in a few short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidize it."
        Ronald Reagan
        40th president of US (1911 - 2004)

Comment

• Tatonka
          • Jul 2002

i was just gonna say the same thing.. lets just see how his knee works out.. i like the guy alot.. i also like henry alot.

i hope WM gets back to full health and is the back that he thought he was gonna be.. and i hope henry has a great year this year.. it would be nice for this year to finish with a superbowl victory..

i really think this will be a dead issue shortly though, as they will be super careful with WM.. so he will be out of the picture for this year..
          "All hockey players are bilingual. They know English and profanity." ~ Gordie Howe

Comment

Working...
          X