PDA

View Full Version : OK, after some thought on the game

X-Era
09-10-2008, 06:34 AM
Many, many things were very good. The type of team that can win alot of games. I say type of team that can win alot of games instead of saying this team will win alot of games. Its critical to realize that this was just one game; its the consistency of play that separates good from bad teams.

But, there were things we saw that are areas for improvement.

Trent Edwards had a very slow start in the 1st half. It seemed that his throws were errant when the rain was falling. It harkened back to the Cleveland games from last year. A game in which we were in the playoff hunt and in a must-win game. There is no way around the fact that the Bills will play in the weather. If its not just in our heads, and weather conditions are an issue, I hope its not an issue that will haunt us late in the season. If we get in this jam in the future, its probably best to run, run, run. Which brings me to my next point.

In the first series or two, we ran the ball consistently but quickly went to throwing the ball more. The Bills were getting a consistent push and Marshawn was showing why he was a first round pick. The very best teams are able to run consistently. In my opnion, the BIlls should not abandon the run so quickly. They were much better about this then they were last year, but still not as good as they can be. I liked what I saw from the play calling with Lynch. Trent wouyld throw to him in the flat, and they were willing to run him off tackle. I think the bulk of successfull run plays will come from around the edges, not up the middle. I think thats a proven situation. So, I thank the Bills for moving him around. He wasnt the only player being moved around.

The Bills went against many of the philosophys of the past in this game. I expected to see the fullback in on 1st and 2nd down, and then going out on 3rd. I remember that being so predictable as to what the Bills would do in the Henning, Smith, Gash years. Yet, instead we saw the Bills in all kind of formations including the wishbone. The were moving people all over the place, and they were getting yards. Evans was getting open. I think we should keep up the good work.

The defense harkened me back to the days of big Ted and the #2 defense in the league. They were flat out nasty. We had 4 sacks on Hasselbeck in the first half. We showed great push led by the unstoppable Marcus Stroud. He was in the backfield over and over. Jabari Greer stepped up yet again. Even on the touchdown pass, Greer was in perfect position and had his hand right up in there to break it up. It just didnt go our way. I also didnt notice Keith Ellison as being a weak spot, like we came to expect from when Chris Watson was on the field. Instead, he was in on many plays. Maybe, just maybe, he wasnt as bad as many thought but was part of a bad defense. We will have to see. This defense played like a Superbowl caliper defense. But itr was one game, and we were at home. Can they play this inspired on the road?

The special teams are very special in Buffalo. Bobby April is at most two seasons away from serious consideration for a head coaching job. There is no better coach than him for special teams. Its apparent because all the players play together. Roscoe would never have had that run if he didnt get long sustained, legal blocks. Thats not talent, thats coaching. Roscoe has true talent, but he cant do it alone. Our field goal fake was masterful and certainly well organized. Again, thats coaching. These appear to be the type of special teams that could score a late season or playoff Music City Miracle of our own.

It wasnt perfect. There is room to improve. There are challenges which must be faced and won. We now have to go against a team that has beaten us plenty recently and makes it to the playoffs in Jacksonville. And in their house. Good teams will find a way to win this game. If we can win against them, we make a strong statement to ourselves to work toward believing that we can win against anyone and anywhere; something that will improve our chances when we have to go to Lady Schick stadium. Furthermore, if we can win this one, we then play Oak, Ari, and SF. Those are all winnable games. Is possible for us to go 5 and 0 into our bye week. Will we see us play and win the tough ones this year or will we lay an egg like last year at times? We will have to rpove ourselves each and every week, but this upcoming week is special. But, the Bills showed they can be pretty special too.

Jan Reimers
09-10-2008, 07:26 AM
I'd like to think that we'll get some improvement from our young players as the season goes on.

On D, we tend to forget that this was only the third full game that Poz has ever played, so he should get better and better. Whitner should also become more of a playmaker as he is allowed to roam a little more. McCargo has shown some signs in the past, so I still have hopes of him making a contribution. By midseason, McKelvin might be giving us something, too.

On O, the return of Peters will obviously help a ton. Schouman, when healthy, will give us another pass catching threat at TE, and when Hardy is ready to play, he should have an impact on the passing attack.

All in all, I see some better things ahead.

Mitchy moo
09-10-2008, 08:38 AM
If we can stay healthy, we'll do great.

Tatonka
09-10-2008, 08:52 AM
i agree with everything pretty much.

the only thing about this whole team that concerns me right now is trent edwards in poor weather. the balls he was throwing looked like wounded ducks for much of the 1st half. it is almost like the ball is slipping in his hand or something. i dont know, but i hope that they get it resolved.

couple other things.. throw the ball to lynch and jackson more.. and DONT throw the ball to the FB.. not ever.. not under any circumstances.. he cant catch a cold. his arms and pads are too big to even get his hands up. just let the FB be a FB and block then get him off the field.

i loved seeing lynch lined up as a wr though. i am confident that he can and will make the first cb covering him miss.. which means that it could result in a big play. keep doing it!

Stroud may be the biggest pick up for this bills defense since a healthy sam adams was next to pat williams. i was aware he was a good player before the injuries, but had never actually watched him play a whole game.. his preformance on sunday was as dominant has i have ever seen from a DT. he was literally throwing guys around like rag dolls. bull rushing people like they were on skates, it was insane how much he helped the line.

schobel and kelsay will both have career years this year. there is no doubt in my mind. stroud is going to create so much havoc in the middle that teams cant double everyone... and kyle williams.. wow. i think that he has been picking up some pointers from stroud as well. 1.5 sacks from a DT? 4 sacks total from our DL.. that is solid.

Mitchell was everything and more that i hoped he would be. he looks leaner than i remember him being. he clearly seems to be the leader of the D. guys are looking at him and his superbowl swagger and are playing relentless. it is truly exciting to watch.

i can honestly say i have not been this excited about how a season will turn out as i am right now. at least not since the super bowl years, but even then, i felt like i knew we had a good team. this team got little respect prior to the season, but now after one win, the media is definately starting to wake up. it should be a fun ride as long as edwards stays on teh field and it doesnt rain much.

justasportsfan
09-10-2008, 09:21 AM
i loved seeing lynch lined up as a wr though. i am confident that he can and will make the first cb covering him miss.. .
Even if he doesn't make em miss, he can punish them by running right at them and let our wr's reap the benefits after.

Tatonka
09-10-2008, 09:26 AM
Even if he doesn't make em miss, he can punish them by running right at them and let our wr's reap the benefits after.

excellent point.