PDA

View Full Version : My random thoughts from the weekend

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 12:25 PM
And what a weekend it was! A great time was had by all. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
<o:p></o:p>
1. Marcus Stroud was the best player on the field Sunday and it was not really close. The guy was dominant. He was blowing up the backfield or pocket non-stop. If he stays healthy and out of trouble, he will be special.
2. With the addition of Stroud, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Williams, Spencer Johnson and even Copeland freakin' Bryan looked really good.
3. The offense was OK. Even giving the Special Teams one TD (Parrish) and 4 points (from the fake FG - assume Lindell would have made it) they still scored 23 points on a solid (albeit shorthanded) defense in a game that had a half of crappy weather.
4. Schonert is much better than Fairchild. The offense had numerous formations and when they did repeat a formation it was not always the same play! Not to mention getting the ball with a minute or so left in the half and going downfield with it. While the first plays resulted in dump-offs, the aggression and confidence in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> is encouraging.
5. The weak link on the O-line might have been <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City>. He did not hold blocks well and was unimpressive, imo. Not bad, but not great. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> and Chambers played quite well.
6. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> actually played very well in retrospect. No turnovers. Only one sack. A couple of deep balls. Good decision making. As a young guy, he should not be looked at to win games by himself most of the time, but rather be efficient and make a couple of plays. And that is exactly what he did. His pass to Royal (more aggression and confidence!) was great.
7. I admit to having a man-crush on Bobby April.
8. Moorman was his usual fantastic self.
9. While Parrish deserves all of the praise he is getting, the rest of the unit deserves credit too. With the moves Roscoe made it would have been easy to see a holding call or a block in the back. That was almost better than the return itself.
10. Do NOT cheer the Brady injury. C’mon guys. We are better than that. While his injury certainly makes the AFC East title a possibility, we do not need to cheer another player’s serious injury.
11. It is only week 1. The team still has much to show before they are declared great. Don’t get too high in the highs or too low in the lows.
12. Lynch and Freddy make a good pair with different styles.
13. Josh Reed is still very good at getting open for short passes.
14.Kawika Mitchell made some very good plays, but also missed some easy tackles.
15. Ashton Youboty held his own, despite being picked on. Very good work.
16. Lee Evans and Marshawn need to learn from Ryan Denney and catch the ball when it hits them in the hands.
17. 3rd down conversions must better! 25% ain’t good enough.
18. Robert Royal? Are you kidding me? He looked good in pre-season and in game 1. Should have gone out bounds at the end of the first half though. The Bills then would have had one shot into the end zone.
Overall I loved what I saw! But we do not need to ahead of ourselves. There is still a lot of work left and it will be difficult for this team. I am staying at ten wins but now think that ten wins *could* win the AFC East!

One more If the Sabres can pump the radio into the pisser, why can't the Bills?

raphael120
09-10-2008, 12:33 PM
One thing I am kinda concerned about is the long bombs to Evans aren't so long sometimes...Evans usually had to slow down a little bit to grab some of those and there was that one pass where Evans had a couple steps up on the CB and if Edwards would've put a little more oomph on it, it coulda been a TD. Maybe it was timing, maybe it was his arm strength, maybe a little bit of both?

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 12:35 PM
Arm strength is not the biggest factor in the long ball. It is more about getting a little more loft on the ball. (and timing with Lee in game conditions)

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
BTW, I could see the scenario where the AFC East title (and maybe a playoff spot) is on the line on 12/28 at the Ralph when the Bills host the Patriots. Both teams coming in a 9-6. Winner gets to continue on and the loser is done.

If the Bills beat the Pats in that scenario, I think I would orgasm in my seat.

Ebenezer
09-10-2008, 12:56 PM
BTW, I could see the scenario where the AFC East title (and maybe a playoff spot) is on the line on 12/28 at the Ralph when the Bills host the Patriots. Both teams coming in a 9-6. Winner gets to continue on and the loser is done.

If the Bills beat the Pats in that scenario, I think I would orgasm in my seat.
thankfully, I am not sitting next to you that game.

yordad
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM
Arm strength is not the biggest factor in the long ball. It is more about getting a little more loft on the ball. (and timing with Lee in game conditions)Well, I agreed with everything until this. I think if the ball isn't going far enough, it is a matter of not throwing it far enough. Like Raphael said, timing or strength is the issue, IMO. Those passes weren't that far though, I really hope it was timing.

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 01:13 PM
Arm strength is much more important on out patterns and patterns with a tight window (i.e to Royal).

Mad Bomber
09-10-2008, 01:21 PM
Arm strength is much more important on out patterns and patterns with a tight window (i.e to Royal).
Exactly. He threw some nice outs, and that TD pass to Royal had plenty of zip on it.

Nighthawk
09-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Umm, did you really admit that you have a man-crush?

DraftBoy
09-10-2008, 01:34 PM
good post Doc!

Meathead
09-10-2008, 01:47 PM
i think i would orgasm in your seat as well

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 01:50 PM
Umm, did you really admit that you have a man-crush?

Yes.

I am not ashamed dammit!

Captain gameboy
09-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Here's mine.

Lee Evans is oh so good.

On the Lynch TD he held a block for over five seconds.
What a player.

I don't know if it was matchup or personal development, but Brad Butler was a legit stud.
Its very difficult to look at o-lineman on the tv feed, but he looked s-o-l-i-d.

My favorite play--- because it was a statement.
Somewhere in the fourth quarter, in an obvious Seahawk passing situation, the Bills had man coverage on the outside with the corners in jam position, about three yards off the line.
In other words, our db's are better than your wr's and we are leaving them on an island while we rush everyone and dare you to throw, because we're going to get to H'back before your guys get open..

That is way different than we used to play pass d.

(Seattle receiver injuries acknowledged).

shelby
09-10-2008, 03:27 PM
Great post Doc...

and as an aside, you are looking really great....good for you!!!!
:heart:

OpIv37
09-10-2008, 04:14 PM
10. Do NOT cheer the Brady injury. C’mon guys. We are better than that. While his injury certainly makes the AFC East title a possibility, we do not need to cheer another player’s serious injury.

They've made our lives miserable for the past 7 or 8 years by cheating. They're arrogant, they're dirty and they intentionally try to hurt our players. They get all the luck and have had refs on their side, meanwhile we get the Music City Mirage and ravaged by injuries.

For Brady's part, he's an arrogant, whiny metrosexual who dates supermodels while littering Massachusetts with his illegitimate offspring. And let's not forget that he beat us by cheating. And he played for Michigan.

So, you think you're better than cheering for someone to get what's coming to them? Well, I'm not above that and I'm not afraid to admit it. Karma's a *****, and for the first- and hopefully only- time in my life, I cheered an injury.

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 05:50 PM
I understand that Op.

But, I would much rather get revenge on the field. How great would it feel to beat the Pats with Brady in December to win the East? Is it easier w/o him? No doubt. But to make him suffer the agony of defeat? Perfect!

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Here's mine.

Lee Evans is oh so good.

On the Lynch TD he held a block for over five seconds.
What a player.

I don't know if it was matchup or personal development, but Brad Butler was a legit stud.
Its very difficult to look at o-lineman on the tv feed, but he looked s-o-l-i-d.

Evans was great, but I really hated the two drops. I can grin and bear one ince he rarely does it. But two? 'mon Lee you are better than that. But the block was awesome. A matter of fact the first thing I said to the one guy next to me after the run was asking if he saw the block.

And Butler was great in this game. They might have a real find on their hands and he is locked up long term.

yordad
09-10-2008, 05:55 PM
My favorite play--- because it was a statement.
Somewhere in the fourth quarter, in an obvious Seahawk passing situation, the Bills had man coverage on the outside with the corners in jam position, about three yards off the line.
In other words, our db's are better than your wr's and we are leaving them on an island while we rush everyone and dare you to throw, because we're going to get to H'back before your guys get open..

That is way different than we used to play pass d.

(Seattle receiver injuries acknowledged).Agreed. I used the same exact words "we are leaving them on an island", when I was watching it. It was impressive. Our secondary is very improved. Last year they may have been the victim of our poor pass rush.

We dared them. It was really nice to see, and fun to watch.

patmoran2006
09-10-2008, 06:05 PM
And what a weekend it was! A great time was had by all. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
1. Marcus Stroud was the best player on the field Sunday and it was not really close. The guy was dominant. He was blowing up the backfield or pocket non-stop. If he stays healthy and out of trouble, he will be special.
Agreed...

2. With the addition of Stroud, Schobel, Denney, Kelsay, Williams, Spencer Johnson and even Copeland freakin' Bryan looked really good.
Spencer Johnson is good, period.. Most underated Bills signing in 5 years.

3. The offense was OK. Even giving the Special Teams one TD (Parrish) and 4 points (from the fake FG - assume Lindell would have made it) they still scored 23 points on a solid (albeit shorthanded) defense in a game that had a half of crappy weather.
They will get better. I'll live with that every week.

4. Schonert is much better than Fairchild. The offense had numerous formations and when they did repeat a formation it was not always the same play! Not to mention getting the ball with a minute or so left in the half and going downfield with it. While the first plays resulted in dump-offs, the aggression and confidence in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> is encouraging.
YOu're better than Fairchild.

5. The weak link on the O-line might have been <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Walker</st1:place></st1:City>. He did not hold blocks well and was unimpressive, imo. Not bad, but not great. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Butler</st1:place></st1:City> and Chambers played quite well.
Agreed, but dont tell that to the lickers who cant wait to get after Peters the first time he makes a mistake. That includes you too, pal.

6. <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Trent</st1:place></st1:City> actually played very well in retrospect. No turnovers. Only one sack. A couple of deep balls. Good decision making. As a young guy, he should not be looked at to win games by himself most of the time, but rather be efficient and make a couple of plays. And that is exactly what he did. His pass to Royal (more aggression and confidence!) was great.
I can live with Trent everyday, he wont singlehandedly lose you a game like Losman can when JP is going bad.

7. I admit to having a man-crush on Bobby April.
Thats cause your a homo.

8. Moorman was his usual fantastic self.
yes, but punters dont count.. You have a Moorman jersey if I remember.. That's pretty lame.. and yes I'm drunk at 7pm.

9. While Parrish deserves all of the praise he is getting, the rest of the unit deserves credit too. With the moves Roscoe made it would have been easy to see a holding call or a block in the back. That was almost better than the return itself.
Few good blocks, but Roscoe, just like Rob Van Damn, is the WHOLE F'N SHOW.

F- HIM!
11. It is only week 1. The team still has much to show before they are declared great. Don’t get too high in the highs or too low in the lows.
Bills fans are hungry and emotional, so its to be expected.

12. Lynch and Freddy make a good pair with different styles.

13. Josh Reed is still very good at getting open for short passes.
He caught two passes for first downs.. i like it.

14.Kawika Mitchell made some very good plays, but also missed some easy tackles.
He's the man.

15. Ashton Youboty held his own, despite being picked on. Very good work.

16. Lee Evans and Marshawn need to learn from Ryan Denney and catch the ball when it hits them in the hands.

17. 3rd down conversions must better! 25% ain’t good enough.
It was Sunday, but I agree.

18. Robert Royal? Are you kidding me? He looked good in pre-season and in game 1. Should have gone out bounds at the end of the first half though. The Bills then would have had one shot into the end zone.
Antonio Gates aint got **** on him. hahah

Overall I loved what I saw! But we do not need to ahead of ourselves. There is still a lot of work left and it will be difficult for this team. I am staying at ten wins but now think that ten wins *could* win the AFC East!
I told you 10 wins in June, dummy...... I agree though, Jags are very likely to give us a reality check. win that game, we're for real.

One more If the Sabres can pump the radio into the pisser, why can't the Bills?
Must be getting close to hockey season..

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 09:19 PM
Thats cause your a homo.

you're

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 09:21 PM
BTW, I also said 10 wins Pat. While sober!

And if Peters messes up 'cause he is winded or does not know his assignment he deserves a verbal ***** slap.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-11-2008, 02:24 AM
....7. I admit to having a man-crush on Bobby April....

....If the Bills beat the Pats in that scenario, I think I would orgasm in my seat.

thankfully, I am not sitting next to you that game.

Actually, Eb, I'd be more concerned about sitting in the seat IN FRONT of the good Dr.!

j/k