PDA

View Full Version : Bobby April: Future Bills Head Coach?

raphael120
09-10-2008, 12:37 PM
I've been thinking about this for the past 2 years now.

He's the assistant coach now but you can't deny he is a special kind of coach, he has the players behind him 100% and he is a very smart guy and has all of his players buy into his ideals without question. He's a fiery guy, an enthusiastic guy, and a great leader of the ST.

I'm not sure when Aprils deal is up, but would we just let him walk. What if we make the playoffs this year with Jauron, Jauron obviously stays right? What happens when Aprils deal is up? Will he want to stay here and be a ST coach or make the jump to a head coach job somewhere else?

Another thing, how much longer does Jauron want to be a coach in this league? His deal is up this year. Would he want to renew? Very interesting season for the Bills for sure, both on the field and in the coaching ranks.

Pinkerton Security
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
april has been in a variety of positions in his career and obviously gets results out of his units. I would not be surprised if he became the HC somewhere in the future, and he is our assistant head coach now. This may simply be a title, but I would bet he has been exposed to many of the things head coaches are in this league, and he seems like a smart enough guy to understand all facets of the game.

Oaf
09-10-2008, 12:46 PM
We had better resign him. Or Else. :club:

Forward_Lateral
09-10-2008, 12:47 PM
I think Jauron signed a 4 year deal, didn't he? Meaning, he's still signed through next season.

As for April, he's also assistant HC, I believe.

RedEyE
09-10-2008, 12:48 PM
I was actually thinking about this on the way home from the game Monday night. I'm not tryng to suggest that Jauron call it quits anytime soon, but you have to wonder might happen to him if the Bills tank this season.

April has to be one of the top candidates in line for the position...if he wants it.

trapezeus
09-10-2008, 12:49 PM
i'd wait to cross this bridge after the season.

1. if he wants to be a HC, and money won't make him happy, we aren't keeping him unless the bills suck this year.
2. he's going to watch more money, and rightfully so, if he has another stellar year after all the people he lost. if that's all he wants, give it to him. he's as automatic as moorman.

OpIv37
09-10-2008, 12:59 PM
april has been in a variety of positions in his career and obviously gets results out of his units. I would not be surprised if he became the HC somewhere in the future, and he is our assistant head coach now. This may simply be a title, but I would bet he has been exposed to many of the things head coaches are in this league, and he seems like a smart enough guy to understand all facets of the game.

the reason April is an assistant HC is to keep other teams from taking him. Most coaching contracts have a stipulation that a coach can only leave for a promotion- not for a parallel position. Designating someone "assistant head coach" means they can't leave unless another team offers them a head coach position.

That being said, Jauron's contract is up.

If he doesn't come back for any reason (he tanks the season and the Bills don't want him back, he decides to leave voluntarily, or he and the Bills can't agree on numbers), April damn well better be at the top of the list to replace him.

Honestly, I think it's only a matter of time before someone hires April away to be HC.

Pinkerton Security
09-10-2008, 01:00 PM
i'd wait to cross this bridge after the season.

1. if he wants to be a HC, and money won't make him happy, we aren't keeping him unless the bills suck this year.
2. he's going to watch more money, and rightfully so, if he has another stellar year after all the people he lost. if that's all he wants, give it to him. he's as automatic as moorman.

you're right, but he CREATED moorman. and lindell.

remember when lindell's kickoffs would land around the 10 yard line on frequent occasions? and when lindell was a bum who we wouldnt trust to kick a FG longer than 35 yards?? I for one remember feeling that. He gets the most out of his units no matter if it is some scrubs that wouldnt make an NFL roster outside of Bflo.

Pinkerton Security
09-10-2008, 01:01 PM
the reason April is an assistant HC is to keep other teams from taking him. Most coaching contracts have a stipulation that a coach can only leave for a promotion- not for a parallel position. Designating someone "assistant head coach" means they can't leave unless another team offers them a head coach position.

If he doesn't come back for any reason (he tanks the season and the Bills don't want him back, he decides to leave voluntarily, or he and the Bills can't agree on numbers), April damn well better be at the top of the list to replace him.

Honestly, I think it's only a matter of time before someone hires April away to be HC.

thanks for the insight. i did not know that was why he was named as such. makes sense though.

raphael120
09-10-2008, 01:08 PM

I was pretty sure he only signed for 3 years because this is his make or break season that we were talking about all offseason.

So his time is up after this season. Be interesting to see what happens.

Captain gameboy
09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
I believe that Bobby April is way down the food chain in the head coach discussion.

He's clearly very good at what he does, but special teams to head coach is a giant leap.

dasaybz
09-10-2008, 01:19 PM
I really hate threads like this.

Bobby April will not be the coach of the Bills next year because the Bills are going to win the Super Bowl.

How many teams have replaced their Super Bowl winning coach?

bigbub2352
09-10-2008, 01:19 PM
Bobby April, would be a great selection for a HC, he has some HC experiance and i think for what he gets out of his players to believe in the system and contribute week in and week out, and have the mind on what players to keep and develop is outstanding,
Plus his charasmatic attitude and the way he is all over his guys on the sidelines is the passion needed to excel in the NFL,
If DJ decides not to renew or we fire him, i would luv for April to be the next coach

raphael120
09-10-2008, 01:22 PM
Here's an ever BETTER question.

Say Dick Jauron coaches well and gets us into the playoffs. Say we win 1 playoff game.

How much money does Jauron want/how much money will he command and will Ralph be willing to pay him to resign him?

Oaf
09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
To my recollection, Bobby April was interviewed as a possible HC after Mularkey left.

bigbub2352
09-10-2008, 02:58 PM
Here's an ever BETTER question.

Say Dick Jauron coaches well and gets us into the playoffs. Say we win 1 playoff game.

How much money does Jauron want/how much money will he command and will Ralph be willing to pay him to resign him?

not too much more than he is making,
I think DJ was a bad hire from the start and if it came down to it i would let him walk and keep his assistants but that is not the way in the NFL

So i say maybe 1.5 mil a season instead of 1

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 03:01 PM
If they get into the playoffs and win a game, offering him 1.5 would mean he leaves and you just lost a winning coach.

That would be the time for bigbub to say that Jauron was a good hire.

Dr. Lecter
09-10-2008, 03:14 PM
BTW, I could see Jauron moving up to a FO position too and April taking over.

raphael120
09-10-2008, 03:25 PM
BTW, I could see Jauron moving up to a FO position too and April taking over.

Yeah he can be a motivational speaker.

Bone
09-10-2008, 03:45 PM
1. Dick Jauron will be resigned after this season is over if we make the playoffs.

2. If April's contract is up sometime soon we better make him the highest paid ST coach.

3. If Jauron get's the boot I wouldn't be surprised if April is our next coach.

madness
09-10-2008, 04:21 PM
I was looking for Jauron's contract details and came across some interesting stuff...

General manager Jerry Angelo inherited Jauron when he came to the club and felt that he deserved an opportunity to work with a head coach he brought to organization. Over the last few days, the McCaskey family, which owns the Bears, told Angelo that it would prefer he retain Jauron, but would not stand in his way if he opted to fire the head coach.

Angelo ultimately committed to Jauron, announcing on December 24 that the coach would return for the final year of his contract in 2002 and negotiations for an extension would begin after the 2001 season. "I can't be any happier in terms of the work he and his staff have done," Angelo said at the time. "I feel very comfortable with them. I've been very impressed with what Dick and his staff have done this season. Dick has shown to be a real team player. I'll go a long way for a guy like that."

:rofl:

Does this sound familiar?

To his credit, Jauron leaves the Bears as a team with potential, largely because he played so many youngsters in 2003. The club enjoyed a solid draft in 2003 and those players, as well as a core group of veterans with only two or three seasons of experience, should form an attractive nucleus...

Hmmm... I wonder who was a Bears broadcaster during that time. ;)

yordad
09-10-2008, 05:37 PM
1. Dick Jauron will be resigned after this season is over if we make the playoffs.

2. If April's contract is up sometime soon we better make him the highest paid ST coach.

3. If Jauron get's the boot I wouldn't be surprised if April is our next coach. I think you meant re-signed. I usually ain't a grammar Nazi, but it threw me off.