PDA

View Full Version : TBN: Evans deserves new contract

Mitchy moo
09-11-2008, 06:33 AM
As we know, Dick Jauron isn’t one for hyperbole. But the Bills coach says he noticed something different in Lee Evans the moment Evans stepped onto the field for training camp this season.
“He looked like he was on a mission,” Jauron said Wednesday.
We’re not talking about some slacker. No one has ever questioned Evans’ work ethic. He’s as sure as a handshake, as dependable as mail. So if Evans arrived for his fifth NFL season with a newfound resolve, you know he meant business.

http://www.buffalonews.com/opinion/columns/jerrysullivan/story/436394.html

Edited for Copyright Restrictions:
BMN

Night Train
09-11-2008, 06:38 AM
I'm hoping to hear he just signed a new 5-6 year deal very soon.

yordad
09-11-2008, 08:25 AM
Take that 20-30 million you have, from being under the cap, out from inside your pillow and pay the man.

I ain't buying no more Bills logos without a Lee Evans extention. Seriously. I ain't even buying a hot dog (during the one game I'm going to).

syracuse76
09-11-2008, 08:27 AM
evans will be signed they would be stupid not to i wanna say that it will be sealed and delivered by end of this month.

Pride
09-11-2008, 08:39 AM
I respect the Bills for making their players play out most of their contract before signing them to an extension. You want an extension? Fine.. we (the organization) feels you deserve one too... but you need to show up to mini-camps, summer camp, preseason, and start the season off on a good foot. All that happens and by mid October you'll be signing on the dotted line for a new contact extension!

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 08:42 AM
what's the hold up?

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 08:47 AM
it's only $16 in guarantee and another 7 for upfront. that's not so bad. However, the bills (and sabres) seem to like to flirt with the idea that the player won't produce over the course of the year and that they're price will go down.

I bet Ralph sits there on jetblue waiting for his thanksgiving flight to get cheaper. just get it now, the priec always goes up. Plus if the player stinks it up and becomes cheaper, you want to spend a lot of money on a crap asset or a lot of money +1 for a good asset.

yordad
09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
evans will be signed they would be stupid not to i wanna say that it will be sealed and delivered by end of this month.Well, how many times have you wanted to say that?

HHURRICANE
09-11-2008, 09:06 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but I think Evans is a very good receiver but not an elite one.

I want him signed because very good is still better than the unknown if we let him go.

However, I wish he was a more consitant threat like a TO.

syracuse76
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
Well, how many times have you wanted to say that?

alot....i was starting to shake, i finally had to get it off my chest.

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 09:09 AM
I know I'm in the minority here but I think Evans is a very good receiver but not an elite one.

I want him signed because very good is still better than the unknown if we let him go.

exactly. you'll get killed around here for saying he isn't awesome. but he isn't a guy who got open in double teams. so either we need another WR just like him (i.e. what hardy is supposed to be) or we need a legit #1 who just gets open all the time.

Granted maybe some of this is based on the plain vanillaness of the fairchild system.

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2008, 09:10 AM

TO is way overrated. Great talent, but a headcase and he leads the NFL in drops practically every year.

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 09:11 AM

TO has been in this league longer. Evans has had qb , OL and coaching problems in the past. He can be an elite qb under the right situation. TO has had his share of inconsistencies when he was with the eagles . Even the best of the best have problems when there are problems surrounding them.

Tatonka
09-11-2008, 09:24 AM
i know some people feel that evans is not an elite wr.. and at times, i have felt that way too.. but in looking at some of the catches he has made.. in double coverage, even last week, i really do think that if the guy has a consistent qb and team around him, he will produce sick numbers. i think that he is a 1400 yard guy.. this year.. and as hardy comes along, and with reed and rosco locked up already for 3 more years.. i really like our wr corps if we can lock down evans.. we need to do it soon though.. he will get an assload of money on the open market if he breaks 1100 or so yards.. and he will.. look at what berrian got.. and he is not half the receiver evans is, imho.

yordad
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM

However, I wish he was a more consitant threat like a TO.Your right. Your in the minority.

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2008, 09:53 AM
Your right. Your in the minority.

you're

you're

Mr. Pink
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Count me in the same minority as Hurricane.

When your pass offense is absolutely brutal and you have one guy who has talent and gets the thrown the ball 75% of the time. He's bound to put up numbers. Doesn't mean he's great, doesn't mean he's elite and doesn't mean he should be paid elite money.

TacklingDummy
09-11-2008, 11:07 AM
TO is way overrated.

130 Career TDs
7 Seasons with 13 or more TDs
8 Seasons with over 1000 yards
13157 Yards
9 fumbles in 887 Receptions

Yeah he is way overrated. :rolleyes:

Andre Reed must be overrated too.

87 TDs
1 Seasons with 10 or more TDs
4 seasons with over 1000 yards
13198 yards
25 fumbles in 951 Rec.

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 11:16 AM
see if the guys needs stable QB and a stable cast, he needs to free money up to let a team sign those guys. He needs to say, I can be elite because others have to be good and the money needs to be there for all of that. You can't ask for top 10 money if you can't break games open by yourself. Not even all the time, but other than the long route, Evans isn't a threat across the middle or with YAC on short routes. Maybe a function of the OC.

My example has always been steve smith as an elite WR. the guy has produced (sans the coldcocking his own CB) with no other WR or RB's on t he team and a no name QB who may be good only because Steve Smith is good. You have that WR, and you throw money at him. Evans is still kind of an unknown as to how good he can be.

This isn't knocking him as a good receiver. It's just saying, he can't expect the biggest contract when he can't or hasn't produced even in trying circumstances.

that being said, he's been a good soldier, a good teammate and played within the bills rules. Lets hope he breaks out this season and gets a salary that is right for the team and for himself.

TO played with a variety of QB's and still puts up the numbers. Evans plays with JP who liked going long, but couldn't replicate his moulds numbers.

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2008, 11:29 AM
130 Career TDs
7 Seasons with 13 or more TDs
8 Seasons with over 1000 yards
13157 Yards
9 fumbles in 887 Receptions

Yeah he is way overrated. :rolleyes:

Andre Reed must be overrated too.

87 TDs
1 Seasons with 10 or more TDs
4 seasons with over 1000 yards
13198 yards
25 fumbles in 951 Rec.

I said drops, not fumbles.There is a difference.

He drops the ball too much when it hits in the hands. He has also thrown at least two QBs under the bus and has been a PITA in Philly and San Fran (Although has behaved in Dallas)

So, yes: he is overrated. Still a top 5 guy in the NFL right now. But he is no the best in the league.

Jimbuktu
09-11-2008, 11:45 AM
People throw the word "overrated" around way too much.

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 11:54 AM
see if the guys needs stable QB and a stable cast, he needs to free money up to let a team sign those guys. He needs to say, I can be elite because others have to be good and the money needs to be there for all of that. You can't ask for top 10 money if you can't break games open by yourself. Not even all the time, but other than the long route, Evans isn't a threat across the middle or with YAC on short routes. Maybe a function of the OC.

My example has always been steve smith as an elite WR. the guy has produced (sans the coldcocking his own CB) with no other WR or RB's on t he team and a no name QB who may be good only because Steve Smith is good. You have that WR, and you throw money at him. Evans is still kind of an unknown as to how good he can be.

This isn't knocking him as a good receiver. It's just saying, he can't expect the biggest contract when he can't or hasn't produced even in trying circumstances.

that being said, he's been a good soldier, a good teammate and played within the bills rules. Lets hope he breaks out this season and gets a salary that is right for the team and for himself.

TO played with a variety of QB's and still puts up the numbers. Evans plays with JP who liked going long, but couldn't replicate his moulds numbers.

HOw was Moss with the raiders and how is he with the Pats? Since Moss needs bettter supporting cast around him , does that not make him an eilite or a no.1?

Every no. 1 needs supporting cast or they will be double teamed to look like a no.2 or made to look inconsistent.

Lee catching balls from JP deep is not his fault.Teams knew it yet he caught for over 1200 yards. It was Fairchilds system. You don't catch over 1200 yards with what you insist is a crappy Qb like JP and be considered a number 2.

TO put up good numbers with different qb's but they all had coaches better than Mularkey and Fairchild.

Lee sure looked like a number one against a very good D last sunday.

ANy wr would've have benn inconsistent under the same circumstances as Lee.

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 12:07 PM
moss isnt' a good example because he, by his own admission, just turned it off if he didn't like the QB. You'll see that again with Cassel. He can play better he doesn't want to.

I'm not saying Evans is a 2. I'm saying he's kind of a 1A and needs a 1B or a solid number 2 (wr, not poop).

Look at fantasy leagues across the country and you see where Evans is taken, and he's considered top 2nd receiver in those leagues. meaning that his production doesn't really match that as a top #1.

yordad
09-11-2008, 12:32 PM
you're

you'reWas it hard to follow?

So, yes: he is overrated. Still a top 5 guy in the NFL right now. But he is no the best in the league.not

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2008, 12:34 PM
No, not really.

But your/you're is a timeless classic!

Mr. Pink
09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
No, not really.

But your/you're is a timeless classic!

As is there, their and they're!

TacklingDummy
09-11-2008, 12:48 PM
Lee catching balls from JP deep is not his fault.Teams knew it yet he caught for over 1200 yards. It was Fairchilds system. You don't catch over 1200 yards with what you insist is a crappy Qb like JP and be considered a number 2.

It helps when he has two 82 yard TD catches against Houston.

A 44 yard TD rec. against the Ravens where the CB fell down.

52 yard hailmary in the Ravens game.

That's 260 yards on 4 catches.

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 12:58 PM
moss isnt' a good example because he, by his own admission, just turned it off if he didn't like the QB. You'll see that again with Cassel. He can play better he doesn't want to.

I'm not saying Evans is a 2. I'm saying he's kind of a 1A and needs a 1B or a solid number 2 (wr, not poop).

Look at fantasy leagues across the country and you see where Evans is taken, and he's considered top 2nd receiver in those leagues. meaning that his production doesn't really match that as a top #1.

Every no.1 needs a solid no. 2.

why would I take Evans in a fantasy league when Trent and the bills are unkowns?

Any wr who was here under both MUlarkey and Fairchild would've been inconsistent.

Wr's aren't gonna do squat under a bad OC.

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 12:59 PM
It helps when he has two 82 yard TD catches against Houston.

A 44 yard TD rec. against the Ravens where the CB fell down.

52 yard hailmary in the Ravens game.

That's 260 yards on 4 catches.

So 260 yards on 4 catches is a bad thing? That's awsome.

Dr. Lecter
09-11-2008, 01:00 PM
I have Evans in a league as my #3 WR. Trent is my new back-up since Young is messed up. Trent, Cassell, Chad and Jackson were the only starters available. (Chad and Cassell have teh same bye week as my starter)

Lexwhat
09-11-2008, 01:25 PM
Every no.1 needs a solid no. 2.

IMO, this is totally inaccurate.

There are a few WRs in this league who can take over the game without a solid #2 WR.

Moss can do it, whenever he feels like it. So can TO.

Best example? Steve Smith has been doing it for years in Carolina.

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 01:29 PM
IMO, this is totally inaccurate.

There are a few WRs in this league who can take over the game without a solid #2 WR.

Moss can do it, whenever he feels like it. So can TO.

Best example? Steve Smith has been doing it for years in Carolina.

Do you think any of those players you mentioned would've been as good as they have been if they were here? I doubt. it.

I doubt would've been as good without a qb like Brady and without Welker.

Lexwhat
09-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Do you think any of those players you mentioned would've been as good as they have been if they were here? I doubt. it.

I doubt would've been as good without a qb like Brady and without Welker.

Would they have been as good if they were here? No. But that's besdies the point. I was responding to your statement about every #1 WR needing a solid #2. That's not true. If they had better QBs and a better supporting cast, obviously they would look somewhat better. But again, that's besdies the point.

Steve Smith and Randy Moss have single-handedly beat teams. Smith dominated even through TRIPLE coverage, with no other WRs and average RBs. Remember that Chicago/Carolina playoff game a few years back?

Moss also did it for years without Cris Carter by his side in Minnesota.

Lee Evans will probally never be in in that class of WRs. But for the record, I still want him here for the long term. He's a great WR, IMO.

We all agree that Mularkey/Fairchild suck. But that doesn't mean our underperforming players would be good if they played elsewhere.