PDA

View Full Version : Losman 2nd best back-up QB option in NFL

Jeff1220
09-11-2008, 10:28 AM
2: Buffalo: J.P. Losman
The Bills have chosen another youngster -- Trent Edwards -- as their starter, but Losman's big-play ability will make him a hot free agent commodity in 2009.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/pgStory?contentId=8546110#sport=NFL&photo=8544058

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 10:31 AM
Wish him luck when he leaves. I hope he ends up in Cleveland :snicker:

Mitchy moo
09-11-2008, 10:36 AM
Wish him luck when he leaves. I hope he ends up in Cleveland :snicker:

He's leaving with a ring.

/ dream.

casdhf
09-11-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't agree with most of those ratings.

TacklingDummy
09-11-2008, 10:58 AM
San Fransico here JP comes.

yordad
09-11-2008, 11:03 AM
Well, I thought he was #1, but this ranking is better then the last crappy one I read that had him at 5, or something.

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 11:21 AM
San Fransico here JP comes.

that is probably a good fit for him because:

1. they'll be in the market and enjoy overpaying for Bills players (J. Jennings, N. Clements, etc).
2. The park system there is overrun with trash and homeless people so he can help clean up san fran.

Bill Brasky
09-11-2008, 12:23 PM
2. The park system there is overrun with trash and homeless people so he can help clean up san fran.

when's the last time you were there?

BuffRanger
09-11-2008, 12:27 PM
Losman is #2 and Grossman is number 27? They are the exact same player.

But, whatever

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 12:30 PM
when's the last time you were there?

admittedly, a while ago. probably 03. Wasn't going to ruffle feathers over the area. Sorry.

Wally The Barber
09-11-2008, 12:41 PM
If Losmans big play ability makes him so attractive...why is he #2???

Mr. Pink
09-11-2008, 12:43 PM
Even better is Sage Rosenfels is number 1 :rofl:

yordad
09-11-2008, 01:11 PM
If Losmans big play ability makes him so attractive...why is he #2???That is an excellent question! Your coming around. ;)

RingofFire
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
Kerry Collins should be number 1.

Philagape
09-11-2008, 01:57 PM
If Losmans big play ability makes him so attractive...why is he #2???

Because too many of his big plays are for the opponents.

RingofFire
09-11-2008, 01:59 PM
I think JP is the next Jeff Blake

Jan Reimers
09-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Losman is #2 and Grossman is number 27? They are the exact same player.

Except that JP has a much better arm and more mobility.

But the irrational disdain for a guy who has given it his best shot - and is still a Buffalo Bill - continues.

justasportsfan
09-11-2008, 02:58 PM
But the irrational disdain for a guy who has given it his best shot - and is still a Buffalo Bill - continues.

Team fans like ourselves know we're in a great situation with a back up who's been a class all this time. They are attempting to create a controversy where there isn't one. :coocoo:

RingofFire
09-11-2008, 03:11 PM
Grossman is a moron. But he does have a killer arm also. Unaccurate tho

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 03:39 PM
if that article is to be believed, the value for JP is incredibly high right now.

i am still of the mind that you trade him if you can get a LB or TE and a pick for him. It's not disdain, it's just that i don't think he's reliable for more than 2-3 games. and i would rather take the flyer with Hamden than pay a larger price for a sporadic JP.

I realize there are people who will say there is something there, but i don't buy it and i don't think it's worth letting him just walk if there is a real payday to be received by giving him up.

DrGraves
09-11-2008, 03:48 PM
who honestly has time to make these dumb lists. i wish that was my job...

Sportsuser101
09-11-2008, 04:28 PM
if that article is to be believed, the value for JP is incredibly high right now.

i am still of the mind that you trade him if you can get a LB or TE and a pick for him. It's not disdain, it's just that i don't think he's reliable for more than 2-3 games. and i would rather take the flyer with Hamden than pay a larger price for a sporadic JP.

I realize there are people who will say there is something there, but i don't buy it and i don't think it's worth letting him just walk if there is a real payday to be received by giving him up.

Hmm I wonder if other teams think this way. I'll trade Losman for Quinn in a heartbeat.

Ronald Hinckleberry
09-11-2008, 04:30 PM
He's a got a great beard too and chicks dig the longball if you know what I mean.

THE END OF ALL DAYS
09-11-2008, 08:58 PM
:D: he still talks like a girl :D:

life of faith
09-11-2008, 11:08 PM
I can't believe this at all. This makes me want to lean toward's trading him because his value would be high, then again we need him as our backup.

LifetimeBillsFan
09-12-2008, 12:59 AM
If this past weekend should have taught us anything it is that you need to have a competent back-up QB to have a chance to win in the NFL.

While JP Losman has been very inconsistent (that's why he is behind Sage Rosenfels) and has his faults as a QB, he is still young enough and has enough tools to have the potential to step in and play well enough to win some games should Edwards get hurt and have to miss some playing time. He knows the system, he has started before, and he has established at least some rapport with the key skill players on the Bills offense.

That's why the Bills keep him this year, even though they know that they will lose him with nothing in return, as long as their goal is to make the playoffs and they have a reasonable chance to do so. If the Bills make the playoffs and then do anything at all in the playoffs, just having Losman there as an insurance policy will be worth whatever they might get back for him--particularly if he has to come in and play even just a couple of series in place of Edwards this season.

On the other hand, if the Bills fall out of the playoff hunt--and the way that their schedule sets up, they will know fairly quickly whether they are going to be in a position to win enough games to make the playoffs, they might seriously consider trading Losman to a NFC playoff contender should an injury occur to a starter without a competent back-up.

The odds of that happening, though, aren't looking very good. IMHO, the Bills will keep Losman and let him leave as a FA after this season. Even if Edwards establishes himself as the unquestioned starter, I think that the Bills will draft a QB to groom as his back-up in next year's draft (that was the plan when they drafted Edwards: they said that they were going to take a QB later, but took Edwards because they were surprised that he was still on the board, not anticipating that Edwards would beat out Losman for the starting job).

Losman won't re-sign with Buffalo (although, personally, I think it would be the best thing for him to do), but will look to sign with a team where he will have a chance to start. I agree that San Francisco would probably be the best option for him.

I like JP Losman a lot and I am sorry that he never was able to get his game completely together with the Bills. So, I wish him well. But, unfortunately, I see Losman bouncing around the NFL as a back-up/occasional starter once he leaves Buffalo--unless he can sign on with a team that will be the perfect situation for him when he leaves. The 49ers might be that situation, but, then again, if Mike Martz is still there, they might not be.

Yes, Martz likes to throw the ball around alot. And, he could find a lot of ways to use Losman's strong arm and running ability. But, one thing that I noticed watching Martz work with the QBs at the Senior Bowl is that Martz is a real stickler when it comes to a QB's footwork and technique: it's his way or the highway.

Martz's insistence on doing things his way had Colt Brennan so messed up that he could hardly throw the ball anywhere near his targets in those workouts. After watching Martz work with those QBs, I can understand why he would choose JT O'Sullivan over Alex Smith to be San Francisco's starting QB this season.

I can only imagine what would happen with Martz coaching JP Losman.... Martz would either transform Losman into a MVP caliber QB or Losman would end up going the route of Alex Smith.

Because of his physical abilities, Losman will get a chance to start somewhere in the NFL. But, he is going to have to seize that opportunity and become a quality NFL starter when he gets that chance. If he doesn't, he will end up being labeled as a guy who is a good back-up, but not somebody that can be relied on to carry a team as a starter. Once that label goes on, it will be tough to get it off. At that point, starting opportunities will be few and far between and mainly come with teams that lack the talent to win much. And, at that point, instead of being seen as a quality back-up, like Frank Reich, Losman would fall into the category of "journeyman".

So, if JP Losman ends up leaving the Bills at the end of the season, it is going to be very important for him to choose his next stop very carefully. And, since I see the Bills being very much in the playoff hunt right until the last game of the season, I seriously doubt that they will trade him before the end of this season--they would have to be overwhelmed by an offer (a 1st round pick) for them to do that and I don't think that they will get that kind of an offer for Losman at this point.

trapezeus
09-12-2008, 09:16 AM
^ great post as usual.

My only concern is that as the games get more stressful and more meaningful, Losman tends to get worse. If he has to come in for an injured edwards at the tail end of the season or god forbid in the playoffs, i don't think this team is well serviced by him.

That is the reason that i think if there is a position of need and a team makes the offer, you have to seriously think about pulling the trigger.

bocephuz
09-12-2008, 09:24 AM
I was there last August in Golden Gate park and it was pretty sketchy. A lot of homeless, people selling drugs

justasportsfan
09-12-2008, 09:36 AM
^ great post as usual.

My only concern is that as the games get more stressful and more meaningful, Losman tends to get worse. If he has to come in for an injured edwards at the tail end of the season or god forbid in the playoffs, i don't think this team is well serviced by him.

lol. The same can be said about Edwards and the entire team prior to this season. So if you're going to use the past for your scenario, then the entire team is in deep crap if we make playoffs. The team is unproven based on what if we make playoffs. Otherwise, we have a different team now and the past means nothing.

That is the reason that i think if there is a position of need and a team makes the offer, you have to seriously think about pulling the trigger.If you pull the trigger then the back up position becomes a position of need.

trapezeus
09-12-2008, 10:09 AM
lol. The same can be said about Edwards and the entire team prior to this season. So if you're going to use the past for your scenario, then the entire team is in deep crap if we make playoffs. The team is unproven based on what if we make playoffs. Otherwise, we have a different team now and the past means nothing.

If you pull the trigger then the back up position becomes a position of need.

are you capable of not making straw man arguments?

Your logic drops the idea that some players are in their learning curve and getting better and some are at the end and this is the player that they are.

justasportsfan
09-12-2008, 10:14 AM
are you capable of not making straw man arguments?

Your logic drops the idea that some players are in their learning curve and getting better and some are at the end and this is the player that they are.

you're the one who seems to be blaming everything on JP yet you agree that Fairchild/Mularkey sucked, the Ol sucked, no weapons .

It's got nothing to do with learning curve.If we drafted Eli you'd be saying the same about him.If we drafted Trent when we drafted JP you'd be calling him a bust too.

Again, it's a different team. All you saw was a qb fail in a bad situation. This years team is different. No one knows how Jp will perform with this new team. You can forget about last year. The closest thing to make a basis is preseason and he played very well.

trapezeus
09-12-2008, 10:23 AM
^ you're right. two preseason game makes up for the fact that a rookie in the same situation out played him. correct.

Stop with the "your blaming/bashing JP". I've formed an opinion based on the historical performance. JP will not help this team as the games get more important.

I'm now through arguing with you in this thread.

justasportsfan
09-12-2008, 10:24 AM
^ you're right. two preseason game makes up for the fact that a rookie in the same situation out played him. correct.

Stop with the "your blaming/bashing JP". I've formed an opinion based on the historical performance. JP will not help this team as the games get more important.

I'm now through arguing with you in this thread.
your historical performance means nothing. Preseason is more recent with the current team.

He played with a different team and different OC. Can't dumb it any further for you.

If the past has anything to do with the future , we might as well play JP in December because Trent can't play in bad weather. So that kinda screws up your logic about JP playing crappy in the playoffs. Jp is a better bad weather player than Trent.

trapezeus
09-12-2008, 10:33 AM
your historical performance means nothing. Preseason is more recent with the current team.

He played with a different team and different OC. Can't dumb it any further for you.

If the past has anything to do with the future , we might as well play JP in December because Trent can't play in bad weather. So that kinda screws up your logic about JP playing crappy in the playoffs. Jp is a better bad weather player than Trent.

again, i agree with you. two games of preseason is much more telling that a 4 year career of futility. and right again with Trent as a rookie learning the weather vs JP who hasn't played a meaningful game in december ever.

You just know so much about team sports.

justasportsfan
09-12-2008, 10:43 AM
vs JP who hasn't played a meaningful game in december ever..YOu logic is screwed so you switch to being sarcastic.

we know about Trent playing a meaningful game in december in bad weather conditions and he sucked so maybe we should start JP should we play in the snow by your logic?After all the past has everything to do with the future by your logic ...or does that only apply when using that against JP?

Yeah Trent can learn but Jp can't :rolleyes: YTou haven't denied that no matter who we drafted when we drafted JP would've failed here .

You just know so much about team sports. waaaay much more than you ;)

trapezeus
09-12-2008, 10:51 AM
YOu logic is screwed so you switch to being sarcastic.

we know about Trent playing a meaningful game in december in bad weather conditions and he sucked so maybe we should start JP should we play in the snow by your logic?After all the past has everything to do with the future by your logic ...or does that only apply when using that against JP?

Yeah Trent can learn but Jp can't :rolleyes: YTou haven't denied that no matter who we drafted when we drafted JP would've failed here .

waaaay much more than you ;)

i haven't denied it because it's a ridiculous claim. who knows. i think there are a lot of QB's who wouldn't have looked as lost even with the choas here. and would be smart enough to at least be able to read the defenses. and to actually be a leader instead of just saying stuff.

Right Trent struggled in to very very difficult weather games. i'm sure every year we'll have a blizzard followed by a monsoon game.

We've gone down this road. you like JP and want to see him do well. i've seen enough and don't want to be saddled with his poor play if and when we need it. i like the rest of bills nation have their fingers crossed that Edwards stays healthy for the full season (as long as that may be) so that at this time next year you can't talk the same nonsense for 6 straight months.

And maybe if we are lucky enough, you'll go follow JP to the new team's message board.

justasportsfan
09-12-2008, 10:58 AM
i haven't denied it because it's a ridiculous claim. who knows.. and this isthe problem of you entire opinion on JP. "Who knows" but you know how he will do with a different OC, better OL and weapons? Talk about double standards.

We've gone down this road. you like JP and want to see him do well. i've seen enough and don't want to be saddled with his poor play if and when we need it. i like the rest of bills nation have their fingers crossed that Edwards stays healthy for the full season (as long as that may be) so that at this time next year you can't talk the same nonsense for 6 straight months... you just prove me right. All you've seen is Jp play under bad circumstances. You've never seen him play under good circumstances. You haven't seen Trent play well in good weather conditions yet you think JP will do badly when he's proven to play better than Trent in bad weather conditions.

Your logic is crap.

And maybe if we are lucky enough, you'll go follow JP to the new team's message board.you are the one who are most likely to leave when Trent leaves because unlike you, I'm a TEAM fan and not a player fan like you have shown here.

I'm behind Trent and I'm behind JP if he needs to come in . We know you'll be cheering for him to fail .

Oaf
09-13-2008, 02:12 AM
Thers some stupid ass ratings in the articles.

bills_7
09-13-2008, 12:42 PM
i think JP will play a big role this season still,, anything can hapen and usually does in the NFL

finsrclowns
09-13-2008, 02:14 PM
i think JP will play a big role this season still
:drool: