PDA

View Full Version : Average NFL team value tops $1 billion....

gr8slayer
09-11-2008, 10:40 AM
http://www.forbes.com/reuters/feeds/reuters/2008/09/10/2008-09-11T004353Z_01_N10202142_RTRIDST_0_NFL-VALUATIONS-CORRECTED.html

The top three teams in the Forbes list were the same as last year: the Dallas Cowboys ($1.612 billion), the Washington Redskins ($1.538 billion) and the New England Patriots ($1.324 billion). The Redskins have the highest estimated revenue and operating income at $327 million and $58.1 million, respectively.

Sirius just said that the Vikings were the least valuable team, something like $853,000,000.

PromoTheRobot
09-11-2008, 10:45 AM
The list is out and as expected the Buffalo Bills are near the bottom: 27th out of 32 NFL teams.

http://www.forbes.com/lists/2007/30/biz_07nfl_NFL-Team-Valuations_Value.html

Now I'm not an economist or an MBA. Maybe someone else here can help dissect the numbers better, especially if I'm barking up the wrong tree. But If you look past the Forbes list of values and look at debt value, operating revenue, and operating income, the Bills appear to be one of the more robust teams in the league!

For example:
>The Bills are #6 in operating income, thanks to a low level of debt (ranks 5th lowest). Forbes does not indicate if Toronto monies are included in this figure. I'm going to assume not. So if you add the expected $7.8M annually, that brings the Bills up from $34.6M to $42.4M...which puts them at #3!! (Oakland #2 @ $46.2M, Dallas #1 @ $66.0M.)

>The Bills are tied at #7 with 6 other teams for growth in value, 9% in 2008. The NFL average is 6.9% growth. The teams that had the highest growth have or are building new stadiums.

>If you add $7.8M from Toronto, the Bills have virtually the same revenue as the Jets and Giants, but have considerably more operating income!

>The Bills rank 5th from the bottom, tied with 4 other teams for lowest revenue. However they are only 15% below the league revenue average of $204.3M. Again if we add $7.8M, the Bills revenue increases to $196.8M, good for #14!

So if I'm reading these numbers correctly, Buffalo is no where near as bad an NFL market as the media makes us out to be. While we aren't swimming in cash, the Bills seem to be in the middle of the pack revenue-wise, at least when Toronto monies are added in.

One more point: the present valuation is $821M, 15% below the NFL average of $957.4M. But the Bills are one of the more profitable franchises in the NFL. Debt seems to be the key. And the question is can a new owner carry a large debt load and still be profitable in Buffalo? Maybe, maybe not. But looking at the Jets and Giants, who currently carry the largest debt loads in the NFL, they barely make a profit even being in TV market #1. So would a new owner even be able to make a profit if the Bills were moved anywhere?

Again, anyone with more knowledge in this field please chime in.

PTR

gr8slayer
09-11-2008, 10:48 AM
I couldn't help you with that, I'm sure Lecter or :clump: can answer though.

PromoTheRobot
09-11-2008, 11:06 AM
I need to make a correction: The Bills get $78M for 5 years, or $9.75M per year, not $7.8.

PTR

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 11:25 AM
that last paragraph is the key. The bills are fine now with Ralph as the owner. he has no debt and has seen this through for 40+ years. I think if you have a new owner with debt, there is just no way he can service the debt and keep the prices the same without getting more cash from toronto games or getting a new stadium (not paid from his/her pocket). That is what makes it so difficult. if the wilson family would show interest to continue to run the legacy their husband and father built, that would ensure the bills would stay for a while.

Mudflap1
09-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I always pull this list up every year when it comes out... and the Billszone always ignores it for some reason. If you look at operating income (again!), Ralph is making money this year and in the top third of the league. So much for him crying the poor act.

Jon

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 11:48 AM
would he be in the top third if he spent to the cap as opposed to cash to cap? i don't think so. i think he'd be barely getting by.

gr8slayer
09-11-2008, 11:58 AM
I always pull this list up every year when it comes out... and the Billszone always ignores it for some reason. If you look at operating income (again!), Ralph is making money this year and in the top third of the league. So much for him crying the poor act.

Jon
Anyone who thinks Ralph is struggling financially is a moron. He's just a greedy, cheap bastard. But it's cool, he won't be around much longer.

trapezeus
09-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Anyone who thinks Ralph is struggling financially is a moron. He's just a greedy, cheap bastard. But it's cool, he won't be around much longer.

i would have never thought that Jerry Jones would visit a bills message board, but there it is.

Jan Reimers
09-11-2008, 03:18 PM
Anyone that disagrees with gr8 is a moron. His opinions are facts and not to be disputed.

I know. He has called me a moron several times.

gr8slayer
09-11-2008, 04:27 PM
Anyone that disagrees with gr8 is a moron. His opinions are facts and not to be disputed.

I know. He has called me a moron several times.
Cry me a river.

HHURRICANE
09-11-2008, 05:04 PM
Bills operating income puts them like 7th in the league. I love how everyone wants to argue on how Ralph isn't cheap.

This is why the other owners hate Ralph Wilson because he whines about revenue sharing while operating one of the more profitable franchises. Ralph derives most of his income from the Bills where other owners have other outside interests.

The sad part is that the Bills should have had a new staium 10 years ago. Since NY State is nearly bankrupt I'm not sure who's going to build it it.

I hope the Seneca Indians buy the team and build a stadium with there gambling money and screw NY state.

HHURRICANE
09-11-2008, 05:06 PM
that last paragraph is the key. The bills are fine now with Ralph as the owner. he has no debt and has seen this through for 40+ years. I think if you have a new owner with debt, there is just no way he can service the debt and keep the prices the same without getting more cash from toronto games or getting a new stadium (not paid from his/her pocket). That is what makes it so difficult. if the wilson family would show interest to continue to run the legacy their husband and father built, that would ensure the bills would stay for a while.

Build a new stadium and raise ticket prices. People will pay it. It's funny how you guys shell out stupid money for the Sabres in Buffalo and no one complains.

Ebenezer
09-11-2008, 05:11 PM
And therein lies all the waste of the bravado about the team moving to Toronto. I have been saying on here for years...somebody is going to have to pony up a $1billion to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Until that consortium comes forward the Bills are as good as gone when RW dies...regardless who buys them...regardless where the team plays games now.