PDA

View Full Version : Buffalo Young's Week 2 Predictions

ServoBillieves
09-11-2008, 04:29 PM
Hello folks. I'm fairly unknown around these parts, but to anyone who knows me in my personal life, they know me simply as "Buffalo."

I used to write blogs and had a predictions page for a local newspaper about sports and am awaiting approval from a few websites to see if I can become a sports writer for them.

As of late, I've found myself writing up predictions for, well, no one, and figured I'd give a taste to my fellow Bills fans. Give me hell, give me credit, just give me something, I need to be on top of my game if I hope to get picked up by a site! Enjoy.

ARTICLE:

Well sports fans, love em or hate em, here are my week 2 predictions.

Week one saw the loss of Tommy Squirt-Gun Brady, the Colts lose to Kyle Orton, Lights Out Merriman get his lights... well put out, and the Falcons looking like they were out for blood.

It also had a certain underrated, underdog home team supposed to lose to the Seattle Seahawks.

Oops, they must not know much about the mighty Buffalo Bills!

Since there's really no point in me talking in depth about the Bills/Jags game, I'll go out and just say it. Bills 27, Jaguars 13.

Week 2:

Chicago vs. Carolina: Both are coming off monster upsets, with Carolina besting the Chargers in the last 2 seconds of the game, and Chicago embarrassing the mighty Colts on the road in the new stadium. Appears that those fair-weather Colts fans might have to find something better to do at the stadium. I don't see the Bears passing game getting away with what they did in Indiana, and they'll have to rely heavily on Rookie Matt Forte to bust out some tough yards. The Panthers aren't hurting without veteran All-Pro Steve Smith, and I see them winning at home.

Carolina 24, Chicago 16.

Tennessee vs. Cincinnati: To quote the great Dave Chappelle, "What can be said about that jacket (Cincinnati) that hasn't already been said about Afghanistan. It looks bombed out and depleted." Tennessee comes in to a limping Cincinnati coming off a win over the Jaguars. I see this as a win in the sense they beat a tough Jacksonville team, and a win in that Vince Young is sidelined. The kid's got mental issues that he needs taken care of, but they aren't nearly as bad as the Bungles issues. 3.1 Yards per Play this past week, and dead last in the NFL with 154 total yards. Expect a rout.

Tennessee 34, Cincinnati 13

Green Bay vs. Detroit: Boy... this team sure does look sad without Br... wait a minute, Aaron Rodgers led us to a win? Against the mighty Vikes!? Aaron Rodgers silenced critics with his confidence and accurate arm in his starting debut, completing 18 of 22 passes for a score, and another on the ground. The Packs D looks stout, and Detroit... well Detroit just doesn't look like they have it in them. Jon Kitna predicts a 10 win season again this year, I just have to wonder for what team he's predicting.

Green Bay 24, Detroit 17

Oakland vs. Kansas City: A battle of the "What happened to all this talent" begins. The revamped secondary of the Raiders, adding veteran DeAngelo Hall to compliment the All-Pro Nnamdi Asoumougha turned out to be a great pick up, right? Ask Eddie Royal, the under the radar rookie who left him out to dry on Monday night. He shouldn't have much of a struggle against Dwayne Bowe, though, due to his 4 easily catchable dropped passes vs. the Patriots*.

Kansas City 21, Oakland 13

Indianapolis vs. Minnesota: What's this? Either the Colts or the Vikings will go 0-2 in to week three of the season? Preposterous! Not at all. The Colts didn't look like the AFC powerhouse they usually are, and the Vikings' Tavaris Jackson didn't do much to help his "improved" image. I'll go with the home team on this one. It's a tough call, but that Vikings defense should be awake this week.

Indianapolis 20, Minnesota 34

New York Giants vs. St. Louis Rams: The defending Super Bowl champs made a big statement against the Washington Redskins. It read something along the lines of 154 yards rushing (The total yards gained by Cincinnati in week one) and only letting up 133 passing yards to what was supposed to be a potent Redskins offense. The Rams looked like a middle school football team against the Philadelphia Eagles, and I expect the same to happen this week. Lets hope their mothers are in the stands after the game.

New York 38, St. Louis 17

Quick Hits:

New Orleans Saints vs. Washington Redskins: The Saints raised the spirits of New Orleans this past Sunday, but it's the Redskins turn to do it in honor of the late Sean Taylor.

Skins win in a close one, possibly a Laron Landry pick six. 24 - 20

San Fransisco 49ers vs. Seattle Seahawks: A depleted receiving corp and a run game that was highly ineffective versus the Buffalo Bills should breathe a sigh of relief with the Niners in town. Expect the 12th man to be a factor here.

Hawks roll, 29 - 14

Atlanta Falcons vs. Tampa Bay Buccaneers: Rookie QB Matt Ryan faces a tough, yet aging and seemingly rusty Buccaneers Defense, but Jeff Garcia is a game-time decision. I'm on the fence on this one, but the Burner/Norwood tandem made me a believer.

Falcons, 17 - 14

Miami Dolphins vs. Arizona Cardinals: The Dolphins did their part to make Brett Favre look like a God in ESPNs eyes (still), so we'll see what they can do for the Cardinals

Cards, 31, Fish 13

San Diego Chargers vs. Denver Broncos: Eddie Royal the real deal? The Charge losing to the Panthers? Don't buy in to either. A 4 year old could've thrown against DeAngelo Hall on Monday Night.

Chargers win, 28 - 17

Baltimore Ravens vs. Houston Texans: Both teams looked strong in their openers. Albeit the Texans lost to the Steelers and the Ravens only beat the Bungles, both defenses looked strong, and Joe Flacco appears to have locked up the #1 spot.

Texans win at home, 17 - 10

New England Patriots vs. New York Jets: The battle to end all battles! A preview of the AFC Championship! Brett Favre versus... Matt Cassell? Oh boy... The two media darlings battle it out, and we'll have to hear about how Brett Favre routed the mighty, Brady-less Patriots.

Jets start off 2-0, 20 - 17

Philadelphia Eagles vs. Dallas Cowboys: ESPN actually put a poll up about whether Jessica Simpson should show up to the game. In other news, nobody cares. It shouldn't be on Romo's shoulders this game anyways. The way the Eagles made the Rams look last week, expect Pacman (I'm sorry, Adam) to have his hands full helping Roy Boy at safety. The Boy's defense comes to the rescue.

A shootout, Cowboys 42 - Eagles 31

UPSET SPECIAL OF THE WEEK:

Boy do I love living in Steeler Country.

The Steelers ride in to the city painted Brown off of a decisive Willie Parker led win to face a Browns team that gave an artist time to paint Tony Romo in the pocket last week. The Browns need to rattle Ben Roethlisberger's cage and stack the line to shut down Fast Willie and Rashard Mendenhall (who was limited to 10 carries last week with a case of fumbilitis) and let the secondary worry about Hines and Santonio. The Browns offense didn't look like the power house they were supposed to be this year, but expect that to change this week.

Cleveland wins, 27 - 20

End Article:

Be gentle folks, and Go Bills!

Mr. Miyagi
09-11-2008, 04:39 PM
I agree with all your predictions, except Indy losing to Vikings and Browns beating the Steelers.

Did you see how awful Tavarus Jackson is? He looked like he's in way over his head. If they couldn't beat the Packers, they have no chance against Indy. Manning won't be rusty like he was last week.

The Browns-Steelers game won't be lopsided one way or another, but in the end I think the Steelers have a lot more heart than the Browns. Flip the scores and I'm in agreement.

Good stuff overall though. :bf1:

DraftBoy
09-11-2008, 04:51 PM
I agree with all your predictions, except Indy losing to Vikings and Browns beating the Steelers.

Did you see how awful Tavarus Jackson is? He looked like he's in way over his head. If they couldn't beat the Packers, they have no chance against Indy. Manning won't be rusty like he was last week.

The Browns-Steelers game won't be lopsided one way or another, but in the end I think the Steelers have a lot more heart than the Browns. Flip the scores and I'm in agreement.

Good stuff overall though. :bf1:

What game did you watch?

Considering how bad their protection was that night they are lucky he only threw 1 INT. He took near 10 shots in the pocket alone, thankfully he can run well. Also the drops were brutal for MIN and they were within a touchdown on the final drive. His stats are very misleading he played a good game and was a victim of the team around him there.

Final Stats:
16 of 35, 178 yds, 1 TD, 1 INT, 9 rushes, 65 yards.

Jackson played very well on one bad knee.

SquishDaFish
09-11-2008, 04:59 PM
Good job but I think Steelers beat Browns in close game and Indy def beats Minny. Also I think as much as I hate to say it Pats pull it out over Jets with their defense ruining Favre boy.

Mr. Miyagi
09-11-2008, 05:03 PM
What game did you watch?

Considering how bad their protection was that night they are lucky he only threw 1 INT. He took near 10 shots in the pocket alone, thankfully he can run well. Also the drops were brutal for MIN and they were within a touchdown on the final drive. His stats are very misleading he played a good game and was a victim of the team around him there.

Final Stats:

I saw a guy who had the deer in the headlights look in his eyes every time the ball was snapped to him.

I saw a guy who did not go through all his checkdowns and was eager to take off running for his life on every play. If his knee was a problem, he would not have run around so much.

I saw a guy who was a very inaccurate passer. A lot of balls were either way over people's heads or thrown at their feet.

Despite having arguably the best running back on his team, who demanded plenty of defensive attention and respect, Jackson performed absolutely horrendously.

That's the game I watched. Which one did you watch?

LifetimeBillsFan
09-11-2008, 10:53 PM
Because home field advantage can be a big factor in the NFL (the bookies consider it worth 3 points), my suggestion would be to replace "vs" with "at" to indicate which team is at home and which is on the road.

Otherwise, good job.

As for your picks and reasons for making them: while I might agree or disagree with you on some games, you have to call them as you see them. These are supposed to be your picks, so do your "homework" on the teams and try to make the best picks that you can based on the information available to you and your own football sense.

And, just have confidence in what you write. Everybody has their own writing style and way of expressing their ideas. If you believe what you write and in the way that you write, it will come across to those who read what you write and, even if they don't particularly like how you write or what you may say, they will still respect your ideas and want to read what you write.

Coach Sal
09-11-2008, 11:01 PM
What game did you watch?

Final Stats:

Jackson WAS awful -- in the first half. After that, he was ok, but nothing special.

His final stats may have read like that, but here are his first half numbers:

Passing: 2/7 for 16 yards
Rushing: 2 carries for 8 yards

You're not going to win many games when your QB accounts for a total of 23 yards in one half.

The Spaz
09-11-2008, 11:09 PM
I saw a guy who had the deer in the headlights look in his eyes every time the ball was snapped to him.

I saw a guy who did not go through all his checkdowns and was eager to take off running for his life on every play. If his knee was a problem, he would not have run around so much.

I saw a guy who was a very inaccurate passer. A lot of balls were either way over people's heads or thrown at their feet.

Despite having arguably the best running back on his team, who demanded plenty of defensive attention and respect, Jackson performed absolutely horrendously.

That's the game I watched. Which one did you watch?

That's what I saw as well. Well we all know DB he is one of your boys but I don't think he will make it in the NFL either. It is true he did get some pressure but he will have 0 excuses when McKinney gets back.

The Spaz
09-11-2008, 11:10 PM
Jackson WAS awful -- in the first half. After that, he was ok, but nothing special.

His final stats may have read like that, but here are his first half numbers:

Passing: 2/7 for 16 yards
Rushing: 2 carries for 8 yards

You're not going to win many games when your QB accounts for a total of 23 yards in one half.

DB liked him in the draft that is what this all about.

ServoBillieves
09-11-2008, 11:43 PM
I do have to say that it wasn't completely Tavaris's fault. The line crumbled, and I do hate to put it on a young QB's shoulders like that. I had sort of forgotten about the bad knee, but when you're in his position, you need to pull through.

And the Browns over Steelers is an upset special for a reason ;). And yes, I usually in my real blogs/posts put @, but was too lazy this time :P but thanks for the reminder!

Thanks again for the feedback, keep posting!

jamze132
09-12-2008, 04:02 AM
Your writing style isn't bad, I like the humor, but don't intentially try to be funny as it will eventually tell the truth. If you are naturally funny, let it out, if not, keep it tight.

And any advice LTBF writes or gives, use it, the guy is quite possibly the most knowledgeable person on this site. And even if someone wants to argue that point, they can't touch him in getting the point across in a logical sense.

shelby
09-12-2008, 04:19 AM
If you'd like, i'll be happy to publish this to the front page (www.billszone.com) as a Zone original.

Thanks for posting it.

ServoBillieves
09-12-2008, 10:59 AM
If you'd like, i'll be happy to publish this to the front page (http://www.billszone.com) as a Zone original.

Thanks for posting it.

I'd appreciate that greatly actually. If it's well liked, I can repost them here each week. Today I find out if I got accepted on another website so if I do, I'd gladly post it here too. Thanks!