PDA

View Full Version : Eagles' pick McDougle brings confidence

Gunzlingr
04-28-2003, 08:16 AM
April 27, 2003 Print it

PHILADELPHIA -- Jerome McDougle isn't going to be a shy rookie, or a patient one.

The 6-foot-2, 264-pound defensive end was selected by the Philadelphia Eagles with the 15th pick in the first round of the NFL draft on Saturday. A standout at Miami, McDougle has no intention of easing his way into the NFL.

"I'm a first-round pick. First-round picks usually are the impact. That's what I want to do," McDougle said Sunday. "I want to come here and I want to play. I've never had to sit the bench my entire life and I don't expect to start now. I'm looking to come in and play."

The Eagles traded up 15 spots to get McDougle, giving the San Diego Chargers their first-round pick (30th) and a second-rounder (62nd). Philadelphia hopes McDougle can help fill the void created by the departure of three-time Pro Bowl defensive end Hugh Douglas, who left for Jacksonville in the offseason.

Tom Heckert, the Eagles' director of player personnel, even compared McDougle to Douglas.

"They're similar in a lot of ways between size, speed, pass-rush ability," Heckert said. "They're very similar guys. Hopefully Jerome can be as productive as Hugh and we think he will be."

MORE (http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/articles/20030427/470866.html)